Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wrote up my first harassment report today from an incident in exdr. The tank votekicked the bard out of the party right before the last boss room because they made a mistake and stole aggro just a single time, so had so solo down a mob while the tank ignored him. And they didn't even have a big argument about it. This was literally all that was said after the fact:

(Syl Fae) [the BRD] Thanks for pulling that hate.
(Uriel Argaint) [the PLD] Syl one point.. you pull you tan ok

Then later the tank booted the bard. Then they pulled the boss with just me as the only DPS, leading to an unnecessarily long and awkward Yojimbo fight. And the paladin didn't even have the decency to passage of arms the last zanmoto, so they clearly lack style as well as temperament.

Don't be that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

From what i understand, the dungeon finder will always try to find one ranged/caster DPS and one melee so technically it's doing its job. Although it's a shame you never seem to party up with a BRD or MCH then, since they are the only ones that could possibly do anything goad-ish for you.

That's my understanding of it, too. I tend to tank far more often than I DPS, so I've seen all kinds of DPS, like I got two DRGs in Baelsar's recently, and when I did Ala Mhigo this evening I had two RDMs. I do still wish for some help. I love Goad and Mana Shift. Makes me feel like a pal.

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is why I dropped Goad on SAM. Giving the tank more TP just made them pull more and since I am a good AoE DPS person I run my tank dry every time we stop and fight. Invigorate is pretty much on CD and without Goad most tanks pull sensibly enough that I can be a blender at every stop.

One thing I do find interesting about SAM when I'm not SAM is how rarely I see Tenka Goken on big pulls. I toss that poo poo out as often as possible when I'm throwing AOEs down. I see a lack of Iajutsu in general, actually. No Higanbana on bosses, no Tenka in groups. I guess people only want to do Midare and don't bother with the other two. I don't claim to be the best anything at this game, but I like to think I get the idea.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

From what i understand, the dungeon finder will always try to find one ranged/caster DPS and one melee so technically it's doing its job. Although it's a shame you never seem to party up with a BRD or MCH then, since they are the only ones that could possibly do anything goad-ish for you.

This is simply not true

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

One thing I do find interesting about SAM when I'm not SAM is how rarely I see Tenka Goken on big pulls. I toss that poo poo out as often as possible when I'm throwing AOEs down. I see a lack of Iajutsu in general, actually. No Higanbana on bosses, no Tenka in groups. I guess people only want to do Midare and don't bother with the other two. I don't claim to be the best anything at this game, but I like to think I get the idea.

The sam AoE combos grant 2 sen so using Tenka Goken afterwards should be a no-brainer. Of course, they only get to that point if they actually use their AoE combos...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Drizvolta posted:

This is simply not true
It's absolutely true. It's just that if it can't find a ranged/melee pair or one side is really backed up quickly it'll just ignore the preference.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haquer posted:

Also everyone should go into o3s blind just once

That's better than my first pull where the tank died to critical hit immediately

As a dragoon it's fun seeing how much more quickly everyone gets into position for spellblade holy for the ones where dragon sight isn't up

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

That's better than my first pull where the tank died to critical hit immediately

As a dragoon it's fun seeing how much more quickly everyone gets into position for spellblade holy for the ones where dragon sight isn't up

Using Dragon Sight during Holy Spellblade is a pro troll move.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

Using Dragon Sight during Holy Spellblade is a pro troll move.

I haven't seen anybody make mistakes due to it since very early learning, it's just a bit slower. I'd be ruining ~my opener~ to not use it too

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Seanticleer posted:

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and don't play many MMOs, but out of curiosity how many people who play this game want to gently caress cats? I joined a FC before you jabronis, and the most active member just wanted to talk about how her two cats were on her desk loving and how cute it was, and how one taught the other to 'rape' and how great it was.

Just trying to form my mental Venn diagram here in order to gird my loins properly. For cat loving.

What the hell.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

For popular stuff like Ixion or Tamamo-no-Gozen (or hunts early on in the expac cycle) what I have come to accept and preach is this: When enough people show up to a hunt/fate/etc. for player models to get culled a pull is going to happen. There is no avoiding it at that point, people will see others disappear and run towards the mob so they don't miss out on the action. If you didn't get there before that, tough. Get there faster next time.

Even without the model culling, as you get more people standing near the mob the chance of any individual player slipping up and pulling (because they left autorun on, cat walked on the keyboard, they're new to the game, etc) gets really high and probably guarantees someone will pull on accident if you wait more than a few minutes.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Haquer posted:

Dear theorycrafters, we have a guy who wants to Git Gud at Warrior and wants a good rotation, can anyone write a short guide for him :kiddo:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LgWAu5BviMyumP8D0tfjrUbKtj9Sez5SRfNAEx_ysng/edit#gid=2085456914

This spreadsheet will get him started at basically any tank he wants to play.

I've only recently begun learning warrior, but the general theory (After the opener listed above) is build your gauge in preparation for berserk windows. In between, you use a mix of your ogcd abilities and the occasional Butchers combo to attempt to reach 100 gauge at the time berserk comes off cooldown without wasting gauge. Then you go whole ham on fell cleaves until berserk falls off. Generally it is not worth it to fell cleave between berserk unless you have a lot of gauge to unload and no ogcd's off cooldown.

After that, it comes down to how he's handling the individual fights and how your group as a whole handles mechanics and raid buffs.

Anyone serious about improvement should probably join the Balance discord. Tons a really good players theorycrafting and answering questions constantly.

https://thebalanceffxiv.com/

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Haquer posted:

Dear theorycrafters, we have a guy who wants to Git Gud at Warrior and wants a good rotation, can anyone write a short guide for him :kiddo:

edit: I main tank

This is what I do and it's served in O1S to O4S

On pull, Defiance->Tomahawk->Infuriate+Berserk->Heavy Swing->Onslaught->Maim->(Unchained to taste if you know your DPS pulls hard, I don't to get into Inner Release faster)->Storm's Eye->Block combo etc. until Onslaught comes off CD and you pop it again. After the second onslaught I generally move to Deliverance.

The main things to keep in mind about WAR are that you need 30 seconds to build 100 gauge from 0, two non-Eye combos can fit in between your Eyes (and Eye->Path->Path->Eye takes 30 seconds), when in doubt keep Eye up, & try and use Berserk, Infuriate, and Inner Release ASAP throughout the fight when you have your gauge ready.

Berserk and Infuriate are 60 seconds (though Infuriate gets it's CD lowered so you can kinda fit more in) & Inner Release is 2 minutes, so you should be using these abilities in tandem as much as possible; aka every Inner Release should be paired with Berserk, and Infuriate should always be used during Berserk at some point for more Fell Cleaves. Just watch the CDs and make sure you're building and spending gauge at the right times (e.g. within 30 second of Berserk or Inner Release coming off CD, build build build).

For Inner Release: Get Eye up and use Heavy Swing before you pop Berserk+Inner Release, then FC->Onslaught->Maim->Thrill+Upheaval->FC->Path->FC->Infuriate->FC->FC->FC->Onslaught.

Use Upheaval on CD at all times, don't use Onslaught on CD while in Deliverance unless during Inner Release. It's easy enough to swap to Defiance if you want an Inner Beast at pretty much any time, so don't get paranoid.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jimbot posted:

You can see that one. You just have to

party with people who bought a level 60 potion for Monk.

All of them use it as soon as they hit GL3.
I want to vote kick when I see it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hey you fancy people with plugins looking up your stats and stuff. Is there one for casual players that want to fill out the sightseeing log?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hey you fancy people with plugins looking up your stats and stuff. Is there one for casual players that want to fill out the sightseeing log?

I don't know about plugins but if you go to this website and tick off every vista as you complete them (or when you've already done them) it will tell you when all the ones you still need will next be available. Only covers ARR but HW and SB don't really need something like this cause no time/weather constraints.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I don't know about plugins but if you go to this website and tick off every vista as you complete them (or when you've already done them) it will tell you when all the ones you still need will next be available. Only covers ARR but HW and SB don't really need something like this cause no time/weather constraints.

Also, remember you have to do the first 20 ARR sights before you can find the next 20. You can be in the right place, at the right time, with the right weather for #21, but if you haven't done 1-20 it won't work.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
The Rising event started, and oh my goodness this quest is worth doing.

The Cheap Dungeon is amazing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This talk of animation has just enlightened me to the fact that I can end the oGCD portion of my Trick Attack window with Dream Within a Dream for ~*style*~ instead of ending it with Jugulate.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rastan Beeza posted:

The Cheap Dungeon is amazing.

Not empty quoting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Started leveling some other Jobs for giggles. I love how there's a "You don't pay my sub!" character.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah the conjurer questline was originally supposed to be the tutorial to healing for this game and it explicitly tells you "hey use your damage buttons when not healing" but no one gets the message.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xarbala posted:

For the most part I don't even refer to SAM abilities by name, I just identify them by function or icon.

Except Higanbana. Or Higg's Banana.

This is actually true for all classes. I can remember very memorable names or functions like Assize and Holy for WMH, or Gravity and Aspected Benefic for AST, but my mind draws a blank trying to name anything in DRG that isn't Phlebotemize or Geirskogul, and one of those doesn't even exist anymore.

I mostly just remember my abilities by the buttons I have them bound to. But that's obviously not much use if I'm trying to communicate something.

Thanks for the SAM tips guys!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cheap dungeon and that cameo, I love this loving game :allears:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Not even a button to complain about catbuttes or suggest that they call a fate "So Much For The Tolerant Eft"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Not even a button to complain about catbuttes or suggest that they call a fate "So Much For The Tolerant Eft"

"So Much For The Tolerant Left" should have been the cheevo name for beating Alte Roite.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

It's funny how much your win rate skyrockets in frontlines if you aren't in flames and don't freelance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Started leveling some other Jobs for giggles. I love how there's a "You don't pay my sub!" character.

She shows up again and has definitely learned her lesson!

Same cannot be said for players unfortunately.

Best part of the 61-70 quests: Well this is incredibly illegal but one WHM thought it was a good idea so :shrug:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 27, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

UHD posted:

Cheap dungeon and that cameo, I love this loving game :allears:

:same:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

She shows up again and has definitely learned her lesson!

Same cannot be said for players unfortunately.

Yeah, I just hit the quests where you take her around to observe you communing with nature before work.

Also is there any way to redo the Rising Quest? I heard you could get two Orchestrion Rolls, but I only got one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Answers roll is available from a nearby vendor, along with a balloon decoration and some fireworks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone have a melding guide for 70 HQ crafter gear bookmarked that they can share?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

This game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Haha

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Koji Foxxxxxxxxx :argh:

e: Also, I want Cheap Dungeon music as an orchestrion roll.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How many of the jokes in stuff like minion descriptions and FATE descriptions are also in the Japanese version and how many are Koji Fox inventions?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Not many in ARR, but the Japanese playerbase heard about the English localizations and some started asking for that style.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TBH I do wish Koji would stop doing the 'this doll was made by a creepy stalker' jokes like on Moenbryda and Khloe (and I think Yugiri? It's been a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

vOv posted:

TBH I do wish Koji would stop doing the 'this doll was made by a creepy stalker' jokes like on Moenbryda and Khloe (and I think Yugiri? It's been a while).

Play to your audience