Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travenum
Mar 1, 2015

My strategy for getting star fragments is to warp to the Great Plateau Tower, put down a fire to warp to night, look north towards Hyrule Castle and wait. 9 times out of 10 the fragment lands east of Central Tower.

It does mean fighting a guardian on the way there sometimes but I find this works regularly regardless of the moon phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm playing on Master Mode, so it's possible that Golden Lynels are weighted to drop more star fragments than silver ones, but I've definitely gotten star fragments from Silver Lynels.

As for Lynel killing strategy, the best one I've found is to use their bows against them.
1. Paraglide in from above and use slow motion to pump their faces full of as many arrows from a multishot bow as you can.
2. Once you land, wait a second or so for your stamina to refill (about 2/3rds full should be good).
3. Equip your strongest weapon and mount the Lynel. Hammer the attack button to hit it 5 times, at which point it will throw you off.
4. When it throws you off, immediately hit the bow button and you will go into slow motion again. Pump his head full of arrows from behind. You can still get headshots if you're lined up with where his face is in front; use the horns to track its position.
5. Pull out your shield. When the Lynel tries to attack you, shield parry, draw your bow, and arrow him in the face. Repeat from step 3.

Obviously, the effectiveness of this strategy depends on how much stamina you have, the bows you have available, and how good you are at nailing those headshots, but with 3 bars of stamina, a 5x Savage Lynel Bow, and a level 3 attack buff, a Golden Lynel will be over half dead by step 5 and require only one repeat to finish if you get all headshots.

Also, when trying to stun them so you can mount them, it helps to shoot at their jaw rather than the middle of their face.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just dodge lynels and flurry rush 'em like a boss :colbert:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just dodge lynels and flurry rush 'em like a boss :colbert:

This works great for me on the Lynels with swords, but I haven't figured out how to effectively dodge the crusher Lynels.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

This works great for me on the Lynels with swords, but I haven't figured out how to effectively dodge the crusher Lynels.

Are you sidestepping? Club Lynels use almost exclusively overhead attacks, so you have to sidestep them to trigger a flurry rush.

In other news: three playthroughs, many hundreds of hours in, and I've just experienced my first thundersnow. I didn't even think that was possible. :byoscience:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I beat the game. I'm sad now.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just saw a "Stalnox" are these new or only on the Switch version?

I beat the game on Wii U and in my over 9000 hours play time I never saw one

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah dude. And watch out for Staldugas too, the skeleton Moldugas. They only appear during the Switch exclusive meteor storm weather class. :rolleyes:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

No idea how you missed them, but they're definitely here. The only thing exclusive to the Switch version of the game is 900p resolution.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Spergatory posted:

No idea how you missed them, but they're definitely here. The only thing exclusive to the Switch version of the game is 900p resolution.

Weird. I completed almost all the shrines too. I seriously never saw one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm 165 hours in and still finding new stuff now and then. I've also never seen a bear in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

African AIDS cum posted:

Not even the one in Hyrule Castle?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Not even the one in Hyrule Castle?

Nope and I went all through there. Maybe my game was glitched or something since I never turned the Wii U off. Googling it I see lots of posts about people not being able to wake them up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

African AIDS cum posted:

Nope and I went all through there. Maybe my game was glitched or something since I never turned the Wii U off. Googling it I see lots of posts about people not being able to wake them up.

They aren't out in the day OR if you are within sight when it becomes night. They're shy like that. You have to leave far away and come back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm 165 hours in and still finding new stuff now and then. I've also never seen a bear in the game.

You know, now that you say it, I'm two playthroughs in, with hundreds of hours. Still haven't seen a bear. I feel like I have to track one down now just to see it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

They aren't out in the day OR if you are within sight when it becomes night. They're shy like that. You have to leave far away and come back.

Except Hyrule Castle buddy. He's happy to play whenever you show up.

If you never saw a Stalnox, then you never found the Hylian Shield, which means you did not explore the castle as thoroughly as you think.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spergatory posted:

Are you sidestepping? Club Lynels use almost exclusively overhead attacks, so you have to sidestep them to trigger a flurry rush.

In other news: three playthroughs, many hundreds of hours in, and I've just experienced my first thundersnow. I didn't even think that was possible. :byoscience:

200+ hours here and I never saw that. Spent a lot of time in the snowy areas, too.

It's definitely possible IRL if that's part of what you're saying. Rare, but I've seen it a couple of times in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You know, now that you say it, I'm two playthroughs in, with hundreds of hours. Still haven't seen a bear. I feel like I have to track one down now just to see it.

You mean ride it, I think.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd killed a few bears but had not ridden one so I tracked one down and corrected that error the other day.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There's one near the Toto Sah shrine, on the way to the treasure that the two shady characters in the Dueling Peaks stable give you a quest for.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I've gotten quite far in this game, but I still haven't unlocked these two slots under Ability Controls. What are they?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Suspicious Dish posted:

I've gotten quite far in this game, but I still haven't unlocked these two slots under Ability Controls. What are they?

IIRC the last one is "use amiibo" (which I also have open, since I don't have an amiibo).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Except Hyrule Castle buddy. He's happy to play whenever you show up.

If you never saw a Stalnox, then you never found the Hylian Shield, which means you did not explore the castle as thoroughly as you think.

No I definitely found that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zopotantor posted:

IIRC the last one is "use amiibo" (which I also have open, since I don't have an amiibo).

Pretty sure the other is for shield surfing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SeANMcBAY posted:

Shield Surf is already on there, the second one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

there's a "Shield Surf" right in my screenshot, bucko

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just checked, it's Jump Slash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My mistake. That was the last one I unlocked.:)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I just checked, it's Jump Slash.

what the hell did i do to not unlock that???

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Suspicious Dish posted:

what the hell did i do to not unlock that???

Iirc it only appears after talking to some dude in Kakariko, but you can use the actual move all you want without ever doing so.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

200+ hours here and I never saw that. Spent a lot of time in the snowy areas, too.

It's definitely possible IRL if that's part of what you're saying. Rare, but I've seen it a couple of times in my life.

Oh, I know it's possible irl, I just didn't think the programmers thought to account for it. It looks to me like it's only possible in the snowy area of the Great Plateau after you get the glider. The plateau seems to be one large weather zone. After you get the glider, thunderstorms become possible, and going into the mountains means that rain becomes snow, so a thunderstorm in the main plateau translates to a thunder snow in the mountains.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner-- it was raining in the jungle and I needed to climb a cliff, so I put on the climbing gear, picked a random spot, and just jumped to it. After a couple of 1-2-3 leaps, I noticed I wasn't slipping. I looked up-- the part of the cliff I was climbing was sheltered from the rain by the canopy of one of those giant palm trees. I could climb normally. Those trees are everywhere in that jungle and it rains constantly, so this could potentially be a huge quality of life improvement.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 27, 2017

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Is there a good place to find shields to surf on? I just discovered the beauty of shield surfing and can only have a few shields at a time.

As an aside, I still haven't figured out where the hell "Korok Forest" is to talk to Hestu again, but dammit when I find that fucker it's gonna feel magnificent.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jade Mage posted:

As an aside, I still haven't figured out where the hell "Korok Forest" is to talk to Hestu again, but dammit when I find that fucker it's gonna feel magnificent.

You bet your rear end it will.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

As another fun trip note, I started forming Terrey Town and the guy asked me for a goron. I checked the guy who wanders between the Akkala stables and he wasn't a -son. So I made the leap that he was probably in the goron town people keep telling me is up death mountain. So I started from the Eldin tower (I had stopped here earlier) and started booking it up the road.

So, I thought heat elixers were enough...

So I'm running screaming on fire up the mountain, find a little mining town and start talking to people. Find Greyson and Pelison, but Greyson will only talk after work. It's 11am. So I continue my screaming run up the mountain to see if goron city can protect me and run into a goron armorer who starts freaking out telling me to buy his fireproof armor before I go up in flames again.

I trek back down to wait for Greyson to be done his shift and I see a Hylian. I think that's pretty weird so I talk to him. He offers to trade me lizards...

For fire-proof armor.

Tldr, the mountain is very hot, and hearty durians are worth their weight in gold.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Jade Mage posted:

As another fun trip note, I started forming Terrey Town and the guy asked me for a goron. I checked the guy who wanders between the Akkala stables and he wasn't a -son. So I made the leap that he was probably in the goron town people keep telling me is up death mountain. So I started from the Eldin tower (I had stopped here earlier) and started booking it up the road.

So, I thought heat elixers were enough...

So I'm running screaming on fire up the mountain, find a little mining town and start talking to people. Find Greyson and Pelison, but Greyson will only talk after work. It's 11am. So I continue my screaming run up the mountain to see if goron city can protect me and run into a goron armorer who starts freaking out telling me to buy his fireproof armor before I go up in flames again.

I trek back down to wait for Greyson to be done his shift and I see a Hylian. I think that's pretty weird so I talk to him. He offers to trade me lizards...

For fire-proof armor.

Tldr, the mountain is very hot, and hearty durians are worth their weight in gold.

Kinda miss the early game, before armor resistances trivialize area specific elemental effects. It lends the game a sense of urgency that's missing once you get pretty much everything. Theoretically I'd like it if there were areas that required elemental resistant items even with an armor set bonus. I guess that'd have to be like a dungeon or something though, which the game is also sorely lacking.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Is there a good place to find shields to surf on? I just discovered the beauty of shield surfing and can only have a few shields at a time.

Reveal this slight spoiler if you want some help: the nearest stable is called Woodland Stable.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

The best shield for shield surfing is the Ancient Shield, which you buy from Robbie with Ancient parts (and rupees). It lets you surf on any surface, even hard rocks, with almost no friction and no extra shield damage. The second best is the Hylian Shield, which is in Hyrule Castle lockup. It's got normal friction, but the durability is absolutely absurd. It's ten times as durable as the second most durable shield in the game, so you can't surf on everything, but what you can surf on, you can surf on forever.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks Bongo Bill and Spergatory. I don't want to ruin Hestu-hunt 2017, but thanks for the offer. But I did look at the shield tips, and I spent a huge amount of time hanging out around Akkala and the Central Hyrule areas so I'm surprised I never tried that!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ancient shield and arrows are the only things I've needed to buy from Robbie

I've been playing for about a week, got the Master Sword to 50 ATK and now I farm Guardians and shield surf around Hyrule

PS durians are the light, bomb every tree

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I finished up the Hylian Homeowner and Tarry Town quests yesterday. Tarry Town is such a nice series of moments in a post apocalyptic type atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
how do you shield surf and why hasn't the game told me how yet?