Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

rudatron posted:

Gamergate represented the intrusion of the super-ego into the pure-id, that is, the intrusion of social sensibilities into a fundamentally anti-social space.

What was being rejected wasn't their toys being taken away from them, but the ability to enjoy those toys without the constraint of self-reflection or self-criticism, of understanding what consequences their actions have and what that says about them as a person.

That immature ignorance couldn't have lasted forever, eventually they would have had to grow up. If not 'gamergate', something else would have triggered them.

The weirdest part was remembering just a few years prior these same individuals wanted games to be considered art. They despised people like Ebert deriding their hobby.

Then some people actually tried to make games as art. And successful or not, these games were largely ignored in favor of whatever AAA game came out that month by the same individuals who were mad at Ebert.

Finally when people try to critique videogames as something serious, you saw people lose their poo poo. At once demanding ethics in game journalism as they sent death threats to journalists they didn't like.

cargo cult posted:

plz no more comic book and video game talk

It's inherent to the subject of the alt-right, you can't try to understand them without talking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rudatron posted:

I'm not post freudian :saddowns:

soon you're gonna be turning deleueze books sideways with your tongue hanging out as the centerfold falls out

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Ray posted:

i feel like the first inkling of this poo poo was the Rebecca Watson thing
Oh yeah.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you're gonna find yourself pounding your fist on a table at a cafe and saying "of course lacan didnt go far enough"

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
school shootings stopped being a thing like a couple of years ago it seems. the same people who threatened to massacre ppl at anita sarkeesian talks are natural recruits for white ISIS

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fanon? more like faoui!!!!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
vibeo gmaes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you wake up with the words "as above so below" scratched into one arm and a diagram of the washington monument scratched into the other. slowly you realize you are either in budapest or vienna and you have ten thousand euros and a half empty lube keychain in your pocket

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

and yet the only scholar whose name you can remember is jane goodall

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I almost forgot the elevator thing. As a stand alone ethics issue, I have criticisms of both sides, but the fact that it kind of 'blew up' into this big thing itself signifies an undercurrent of insecurity and such.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

you wake up with the words "as above so below" scratched into one arm and a diagram of the washington monument scratched into the other. slowly you realize you are either in budapest or vienna and you have ten thousand euros and a half empty lube keychain in your pocket
COMING THIS SUMMER

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think we're actually disagreeing with each other. I'm just trying to draw a distinction between Neocons who view power as a necessary means for the security of liberal democracy, and Fascists who view power as a means to achieve glorious purpose and enjoyment through inflicting suffering on the nation's enemies. There is a reason why Fascists don't become Neocons.

Yeah, I take your point.

I think the main difference between them is probably the lens they view the world through. Neocons view the exercise of power as protecting the things they like against the things they don't like, they view it as defense. Fascist view power as a way to destroy all the bad things that are preventing them from getting what thely want, it's an offensive worldview. (Pun intended)

Al! posted:

soon you're gonna be turning deleueze books sideways with your tongue hanging out as the centerfold falls out
Hands off, buddy! Rudatron is my posting waifu! 👹

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Yeah, I take your point.

I think the main difference between them is probably the lens they view the world through. Neocons view the exercise of power as protecting the things they like against the things they don't like, they view it as defense. Fascist view power as a way to destroy all the bad things that are preventing them from getting what thely want, it's an offensive worldview. (Pun intended)

Hands off, buddy! Rudatron is my posting waifu! 👹

gently caress you buddy, rudatron and i have been ideologically incompatible when u were still in poo poo posts

this argument, of course, is at its base about the competition for sexual resources [post fruedian batman grapnel into the clouds]

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shut up about the social dynamics behind video game nerds and post video of chuds getting owned.

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/901910367239938048

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Agean90 posted:

shut up about the social dynamics behind video game nerds and post video of chuds getting owned.

jesus christ is that kid wearing a shirt of trump in an SS uniform? rip it off his body and burn that poo poo

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Elephant Ambush posted:

Protip: People from Spain are white.

I am of Iberian heritage - in my home town I was not white but a southern euro mud person, but in a big city I am magically a white man. funny how that works.

my point was this guy is running away from being considered Latino/not white.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Agean90 posted:

was he wearing a wig?? or did i lose track of people

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

school shootings stopped being a thing like a couple of years ago it seems. the same people who threatened to massacre ppl at anita sarkeesian talks are natural recruits for white ISIS
oh i agree. a lot of the school shootings to me seemed to be people who self-radicalized on a "mission." you'd often see pictures come out afterwards of the perpetrator posing in front of a camera with guns, like travis bickle in taxi driver aiming at the mirror going "you talkin' to me?" the movie is a great portrait of a deeply alienated and lonely white guy radicalizing into right-wing politics and vigilantism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWL-FwX4t4

i think vanilla ISIS has provided a sense of purpose and meaning to young men who might've become school shooters. though school shootings were also pretty rare, the online reactionary movement may have channeled some of that rage and given it direction and spin.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

jesus christ is that kid wearing a shirt of trump in an SS uniform? rip it off his body and burn that poo poo
it's pinochet. "helicopter rides" etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the gamergate types who got radicalized into alt-right were always going to end up reactionary fascist scum. if it hadn't been games it would have been something else. the same psychological frailty that motivated them to become gaters-- lack of purpose, deep insecurity and resentment about their place in society, feelings of inferiority and revanchist-- is what made them fascists.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
GG was/is a product of the time. Nothing about GG is new, only the technology.

These trumpers getting beat up is good.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Pretty sure it's Pinochet, it's probably better to skip the part where we rip it off him and go straight to the burning.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tardcore posted:

Pretty sure it's Pinochet, it's probably better to skip the part where we rip it off him and go straight to the burning.

yep, it's pinochet

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
the "gamer" part of gamergate came from an article that said basically "videogames are super popular now, the audience isn't just enthusiasts"

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Meanwhile, talking to sock puppets on facebook

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think it's a picture of pinochet with the word "HELICOPTER" under it so you know he's super cool and normal guy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acab motherfuckers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cargo cult posted:

i dont wnna be that guy but they should probably just taake the W and not do an actual riot lol, but w/e

Actually they should do an actual riot because if you're going to be treated as violent psychopaths by the states army you may as well get to smash a Starbucks too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now dat's a bloc

https://twitter.com/RRYrevolucion/status/901917504217522176

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Actually they should do an actual riot because if you're going to be treated as violent psychopaths by the states army you may as well get to smash a Starbucks too
they were cheered like conquering heroes at that lib march at boston, which I (naively) assume makes the police state more circumspect about massacring them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

business hammocks posted:

Comic books seems to have gone through/is going through a smaller-scale version of gamergate, driven by similar cultural and market forces, so it could happen in any sufficiently niche hobby with a declining die-hard core confronting change brought by new participants.

Comics have been doing this for years, it got really bad for a minute when marvel was really pushing diversity but given how many rad creators made their names there or at dc and are now doing it at image where it's blatantly not editorial mandate (because there is none) and enjoying a lot of success most of the shitheads just get made fun of or ignored

The actual worst thing that's come from it was a middle aged white dude writing about Ms Marvel, a Muslim teen, stopping her friends from beating up a dude who literally burned down a mosque because violence isn't the answer and just gently caress you mark waid

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
it honestly seems like there's a ton of popular good will for antifa right now, which isnt surprising considering how demographically diverse america is. I keep seeing clickbait saying their ranks are "swelling," without too much concern trolling bolted on. The next occupy is gonna be lit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cargo cult posted:

it honestly seems like there's a ton of popular good will for antifa right now, which isnt surprising considering how demographically diverse america is. I keep seeing clickbait saying their ranks are "swelling," without too much concern trolling bolted on. The next occupy is gonna be lit

Considering I just helped coordinate the local crew and by extension crews across upstate NY forming a coalition with local leftist groups under an assurance that they wouldn't get all scornful about antifa being willing to do violence and then they did a whole bunch of NONVIOLENCE AT ANY COST at the first meeting

No not really

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
High energy

https://twitter.com/zacconklin/status/901921981653590016
https://twitter.com/PattersonNBC/status/901908786125750272

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Considering I just helped coordinate the local crew and by extension crews across upstate NY forming a coalition with local leftist groups under an assurance that they wouldn't get all scornful about antifa being willing to do violence and then they did a whole bunch of NONVIOLENCE AT ANY COST at the first meeting

No not really
well sorry for running my mouth then, ur doing god's work

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That reminds me I need to check the minutes from that meeting, I couldn't make it because I had to sleep at some point between shifts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
boo thosee fuckers didnt upload minutes yet

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No not really

Americans have been heavily programmed to only accept nonviolent protect/resistance, but in your experience organizing so far is this attitude seeing change or is it becoming reinforced over time?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

tbf you can probably skip the first step

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FaustianQ posted:

Americans have been heavily programmed to only accept nonviolent protect/resistance, but in your experience organizing so far is this attitude seeing change or is it becoming reinforced over time?

hand tilt

on the individual level im seeing more people who are like yes we are behind your people if poo poo goes down, people who wont necessarily take a punch or throw one themselves but aren't gonna look down on antifa for it (the people i've talked to at ISO fit into this category, like the rank and file college aged kids driving poo poo forward)

but then you get into a big meeting and the people with actual power are strongly against it in any way shape or form (ISO leadership)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i think a lot of it is about demographics and i think as always young folks are the ones most willing to give something new a shot while the elders will hunker down in what they've always known until they're dragged into the future kicking and screaming

it just so happens that in this specific scenario the young folks dont even really have to act out, just support on....not the down-low but not as an official Organization level, while the people with no membership rolls and no leaders to answer to dont have to sweat it