Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The pants need a waistline that doesn't cut off abrubtly

99% of the leg wear in this game cuts off like that though. Most of the clothes with fancy waistlines, like the Thavnairian Bustier set, have them as part of the top. It's probably some weird engine limitation.

I bought a Fantasia to tweak like two things on my character (for some reason having really dark skin makes your eyebrows invisible), and picked up the play dead emote while I was at it. Totally worth the $12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

accurate depiction of how it feels when summer ends

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

News: Hit 50 on MCH.

Views: I'm lucky if I can keep up with the tank's DPS in dungeons, but at least I get to look cool doing it. Especially with the Allagan Deagle that Twintania spat up a few days ago.

PEW PEW

SHOT THROUGH THE HEART

Also, I'm leveling BTN through the mid-50s right now. Are ephemeral nodes just the same basic thing as unspoiled nodes, as in they only spawn once or twice per Eorzean day?

Oh yeah, I forgot all about my finger gun aspirations. What's the news on MCH at 70 again? hosed?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
MCH parses at or above BRD in my experience while bringing only a little bit less utility. A lot of MCH mains say it isn't fun, but I've had some really good machinists in groups

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i know, it was just the most easily visible problem because we had a dps dead for the last four percent of the boss or so.

That seems long enough that I would have bit the bullet and hardcasted a Raise on someone.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about my finger gun aspirations. What's the news on MCH at 70 again? hosed?

Fine to contribute, bad to play

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I came to the conclusion a while ago that as long as wildfire is a part of the mch rotation (or an ability that exists at all for that matter) the class is straight up 100% not for me. It's just antifun to me specifically

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Everything is on the exact same cycle as wildfire. It's just a button you hit when it's available which is conveniently the same time all your other buttons become available.

If you can hit a button when it's glowing you are overqualified for machinist

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez posted:

It's Okay(tm), but you would be forgiven for dropping it as soon as you hit 70, because it's a shitshow to level.

If you used to rely on audio cues to let you know when the next shot has procced (listen for a "SHING!" noise) those are much, much harder to hear when using the Heated versions of shots.

And actual inside-Wildfire has become very dumb, you can just spam Cooldown for all five GCDs, while weaving oGCDs and you will do okay.

Don't expect to see numbers that match or exceed what you were doing at the end of 3.55 until next raid tier.

Did I mention that MCH is a shitshow to level? It's even worse if you weren't already 60, because the skills were gutted without regard to how it left huge gaps that don't feel good. You don't get an oGCD until 52, and from 40-50 (exclusive), you get no skills or traits whatsoever.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 27, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Has the hivemind decided on whether overheating wildfire is worth it?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I like playing MCH at lower levels. :unsmith: You get a decent toolkit and AOE even in Sastasha or Copperbell, which is more than a lot of classes can say. Also you can wear an eyepatch or tricorne and pretend you're a pirate.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Everything is on the exact same cycle as wildfire. It's just a button you hit when it's available which is conveniently the same time all your other buttons become available.

If you can hit a button when it's glowing you are overqualified for machinist

There is a reason the only classes I play are paladin and whm

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The answer is actually MUDFLAP since I used the T twice originally because I am bad at anagrams and a MUDFLAP is an actual thing.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 28, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

You're missing an E.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So I did the level 61 sidequest in the fringes where you investigate the abandoned village and it turns out they were developing a chemical weapon, but Gaius killed the project because he viewed Eorzeans as future subjects and not savages. More proof that Gaius Was Right.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Shadowlyger posted:

You're missing an E.

Nah, Koji would apostrophe it out (like "hist'ry" in FFXII).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

must needs commit adult'ry

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The reins of Adult'ry... back in the hands of Mol

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I got the FANTASY one, but with the arrangement of letters given (and having not figured out the correlation between the numbers and letters on the minimap) combined with the fact that the messages within the dungeon itself were ally developer notes, my first guess at the answer was PANTIES.

I don't know how to feel about the fact that this would have been a totally reasonable answer, coming from this team.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

vOv posted:

So I did the level 61 sidequest in the fringes where you investigate the abandoned village and it turns out they were developing a chemical weapon, but Gaius killed the project because he viewed Eorzeans as future subjects and not savages. More proof that Gaius Was Right.

Garleans: People like Gaius and Regulus are true heroes. But we'd rather be racist than emulate our heroes.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

DING, DONG, THE BITCH IS DEAD

if my static actually uploaded parses I would've been in the 90 percentiles

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NED is a pretty strong contender for my favorite fight in the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

vOv posted:

Has the hivemind decided on whether overheating wildfire is worth it?

With the last set of changes there's zero reason not to Overheat now- 20% extra damage and all your heat manipulation tools are on 60s CDs like Wildfire, so you can use Flamethrower to Overheat then Barrel Stabilizer to get back to 50 as soon as Gauss is off CD every time.

All the decision making has really been taken out of the class- even Refresh is a button you just jam on cooldown mid-fight. The only reason you don't Overheat Wildfire now is if you're in a situation where you're missing one or both of your buttons or you need to spend like 4-5 seconds in Flamethrower to Overheat (IE, not the first Wildfire of the trial, or likely the first Wildfire after being revived) and you should basically hit buttons on CD because everything lines up perfectly if you keep doing it. Then ten-second falloff is still stupid but now the Overheat damage buff is enough it's not even a question if you go for it or not assuming you've got the tools to get heated again right after. Stay heated, try to reach the end of a rotation at 80+ Heat so you only have to flash Flamethrower to Overheat, and make sure to maximize Reload rotations.

That said, a lot of complaints about MCH becoming mindless spill over into most other classes- Stormblood's class changes having taken a lot of the decision-making out of any DPS class not named Samurai, it feels like- and my static's BLM and DRG have similar complains about what SB did to their jobs except they also get poo poo on much, much harder when they die.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SL the Pyro posted:

DING, DONG, THE BITCH IS DEAD

if my static actually uploaded parses I would've been in the 90 percentiles

Enjoy your exfaust, my condolences to your healers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

With the last set of changes there's zero reason not to Overheat now- 20% extra damage and all your heat manipulation tools are on 60s CDs like Wildfire, so you can use Flamethrower to Overheat then Barrel Stabilizer to get back to 50 as soon as Gauss is off CD every time.

All the decision making has really been taken out of the class- even Refresh is a button you just jam on cooldown mid-fight. The only reason you don't Overheat Wildfire now is if you're in a situation where you're missing one or both of your buttons or you need to spend like 4-5 seconds in Flamethrower to Overheat (IE, not the first Wildfire of the trial, or likely the first Wildfire after being revived) and you should basically hit buttons on CD because everything lines up perfectly if you keep doing it. Then ten-second falloff is still stupid but now the Overheat damage buff is enough it's not even a question if you go for it or not assuming you've got the tools to get heated again right after. Stay heated, try to reach the end of a rotation at 80+ Heat so you only have to flash Flamethrower to Overheat, and make sure to maximize Reload rotations.

That said, a lot of complaints about MCH becoming mindless spill over into most other classes- Stormblood's class changes having taken a lot of the decision-making out of any DPS class not named Samurai, it feels like- and my static's BLM and DRG have similar complains about what SB did to their jobs except they also get poo poo on much, much harder when they die.

Was he a BLM before? If anything BLMs have more decisions to make now than in HW.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BLM lost the minigame of 'do I have time to squeeze out another F4 before I have to refresh Umbral' but gained 'do I have enough MP to cast F4 -> B3 and then have something to do afterwards'. I still don't like having a one-second window between when transpose comes off CD and when AF/UI falls off, but I definitely don't think it's in a worse spot than HW.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ya its a japanese game so the term is NTR

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Garleans: People like Gaius and Regulus are true heroes. But we'd rather be racist than emulate our heroes.

Gaius was still really loving racist, he was just Fractional Hitler instead of going for multiples of Hitler. Regulus, meanwhile, may have been too good for this sinful Earth. A lot of his antagonism really did seem to come down to being heroic for the opposing team.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gearhead posted:

Gaius was still really loving racist, he was just Fractional Hitler instead of going for multiples of Hitler. Regulus, meanwhile, may have been too good for this sinful Earth. A lot of his antagonism really did seem to come down to being heroic for the opposing team.

Sure but Gaius still isn't the insanely huge rear end in a top hat the average Garlean is. Hell, he even admonished his own subordinates because when he heard Rhitahtyn died, he immediately assumed they abandoned him.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Speaking of things dying, this happened last Tuesday but still:

Took a bit longer than it perhaps should've because of schedule and roster trouble, but she's deadzo. Now to die to Flare... a lot.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have seen people doing prog on the fight and it looks completely amazing. Very, very little bullshit, either (unlike the one huge flaming RNG turd that is in Hali's last phase - briar dance is so much easier than stone dance, especially after loving Dark Tokens, that it almost amazes me the fight went live like that).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

I have seen people doing prog on the fight and it looks completely amazing. Very, very little bullshit, either (unlike the one huge flaming RNG turd that is in Hali's last phase - briar dance is so much easier than stone dance, especially after loving Dark Tokens, that it almost amazes me the fight went live like that).

Tell that to the runs that I've seen enrage by a few seconds where if she did cave dance instead of briar dance we would have killed

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I love the sound design in this fight so much. swoooooosh as it builds up for a grand cross is so good

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of things dying, this happened last Tuesday but still:

Took a bit longer than it perhaps should've because of schedule and roster trouble, but she's deadzo. Now to die to Flare... a lot.

God I hate her doing Briar Dance after dark token as a Monk, it almost guarantees losing GL3 if I can't hit her to refresh it before moving into position for it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

stack in boss range and have tanks and heals run away. briar dance no longer a problem

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Was he a BLM before? If anything BLMs have more decisions to make now than in HW.

He's been a BLM main since at least early HW- he's happier now then when he was at launch, but he still thinks lag or random status causing him to drop AF/UI because the window on Transpose is so tight is bullshit. I haven't really played BLM in either expansion so I really don't have a comparison point, but the way it's always looked from the outside BLM seems like Illusion of Choice: The Class. There's always a lot you COULD be doing, but there's almost always just a Right Answer and everything else is just different shades of loving Up and almost nothing that's going on in the actual fight does anything to change that outside 'Stand in the Ley Lines, Healers Adjust Y/N?'

Argas posted:

Sure but Gaius still isn't the insanely huge rear end in a top hat the average Garlean is. Hell, he even admonished his own subordinates because when he heard Rhitahtyn died, he immediately assumed they abandoned him.

He's still pretty deep in the rear end in a top hat pool, he's just found justification and those justifications have basically lined up with the average player experience, especially for players who haven't touched the beast tribe content. It's really hard to justify continually suffering the Ixal to live when they keep summoning the Obviously Evil Goddess of Absolute Murder and you have the option of repeatedly dealing with said Goddess returning at the slightest provocation (which, I mean, has come back in-lore a minimum of 4 times since the start of ARR alone) or just removing them from the face of the earth because they can't not summon wanton destruction personified. (Literally, in fact.)

It's not that Gaius' beliefs are good, it's that we've not been given enough evidence they're wrong

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 28, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

wiped at pug catastrophe savage to enrage at 1 percent because a dps hosed up one of the gimme antilights, so loving annoyed

if youre hiting enrage you hosed up a lot more like your rotation(the dps that is).

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

The randomness of the last phase of o3s is the only part of the fight I like because the entire fight before that is so set in stone I can see the boss reading her script inbetween attacks. Not that you know, bosses shouldn't have scripts but for o3s it feels to me at least that the variance you encounter (mostly the elemental attacks) aren't really exciting until the last phase. I guess my example of a boss I really liked that had interesting variance would be cruise chaser. BUUUUUT to each their own

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

He's been a BLM main since at least early HW- he's happier now then when he was at launch, but he still thinks lag or random status causing him to drop AF/UI because the window on Transpose is so tight is bullshit. I haven't really played BLM in either expansion so I really don't have a comparison point, but the way it's always looked from the outside BLM seems like Illusion of Choice: The Class. There's always a lot you COULD be doing, but there's almost always just a Right Answer and everything else is just different shades of loving Up and almost nothing that's going on in the actual fight does anything to change that outside 'Stand in the Ley Lines, Healers Adjust Y/N?'

He's still pretty deep in the rear end in a top hat pool, he's just found justification and those justifications have basically lined up with the average player experience, especially for players who haven't touched the beast tribe content. It's really hard to justify continually suffering the Ixal to live when they keep summoning the Obviously Evil Goddess of Absolute Murder and you have the option of repeatedly dealing with said Goddess returning at the slightest provocation (which, I mean, has come back in-lore a minimum of 4 times since the start of ARR alone) or just removing them from the face of the earth because they can't not summon wanton destruction personified. (Literally, in fact.)

It's not that Gaius' beliefs are good, it's that we've not been given enough evidence they're wrong

There isn't a definitive correct BLM rotation at the moment, you can find arguments on the balance discord. I mean it's all the fire 4s, refresh AF, blizzard 3, refresh thunder, etc. I guess once you figure out what you want to do around mechanics it's a script but that's because the fights themselves are on tight scripts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, did I miss MCH chat again? MCH is fun and I enjoy it. Still trying to get more consistent with those Wildfire rotations though; it's easy to miss a button here and there since MCH has so many.