Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
I haven't played much since the patch where the lights were stretched to 10, are they worth anything? They look good on paper at least, like faster mediums with no armor. If they are any good would the chinese or german t10 light be better?

e: also some of my tanks, like the whole chinese medium line disappeared from my stats record in game, what's up with that

one on a bun fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

one on a bun posted:

I haven't played much since the patch where the lights were stretched to 10, are they worth anything? They look good on paper at least, like faster mediums with no armor. If they are any good would the chinese or german t10 light be better?

The tier 9 lights are better than the tier 10s in every way. Its absurd.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
If I recall correctly, the tier 10 lights are better at ramping off of poo poo, no?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

one on a bun posted:

e: also some of my tanks, like the whole chinese medium line disappeared from my stats record in game, what's up with that

The 13 57 is the best thing ever. Also the 13 90 is hilarious once again, though not exactly release day hilarious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If I recall correctly, the tier 10 lights are better at ramping off of poo poo, no?

Well not the american one thats for sure. T49 ramp king confirmed.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

I've played for years and I'm still only getting the vaguest notion of where my Type 95 or tier 2/3 Swede or Czech vehicle was killed from and how I could have avoided it. Unless of course I was face charged by a Panzer Ic, then it's patently obvious how I died and how unavoidable it was.
What. How can you play for years and still have no real idea of where damage usually comes from on a given map?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Still disappointed we never got a NTR smiley although :psyduck: I guess still fits pretty well.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

NTR is our window into the mind of the average world of tanks player.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What. How can you play for years and still have no real idea of where damage usually comes from on a given map?

A number of maps have changed dramatically since the last time I played, like Swamp, and a few are completely new to me. Even minor changes add new camping spots. For players who have never played any of them before, there's no help or warning, just instagibs, and half the time the vehicle that shot you doesn't break camo in the process either.

I know that most people here have a few ten thousands of games, and spend most of their time in T8+, which is why I'm trying to tell you the low tiers are so badly broken that you're never going to get any new players.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 27, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im glad you can't work out where you're getting shot from even with the damage indicators.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Im glad you can't work out where you're getting shot from even with the damage indicators.

The damage indicators aren't redpole

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It's weird how I came back to this game after 3 years not playing it and I didn't have the same experience of being constantly instagibbed by invisible tanks at tier 3-6.

But then I stopped driving in the open on maps I didn't know fairly quickly.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Hey NTRabbit, at tier 4 2-3 the people killing you are new players

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 27, 2017

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Well, speaking of new players, I'm relatively new to the game. I'm actually playing mostly on my smart phone during commutes, but when time allows I like to play on my PS4 as well.

I've been working my way through the US tech tree because it has some tanks that I know about, and have seem to have hit a snag with the T1 Heavy. It seems to be pretty undergunned and slow as a friggen pig. I mean, I know a heavy tank is going to be a bit sluggish and all, but I was sort of thinking that it would have armor to make up for that. However, it seems that most everyone (aside from other T1 Heavies, is blasting through me with ease and I'm not really able to keep up with other heavies. In particular, it seems like the soviet heavies (the K series boogers) can simply walk up to me, shrug off anything I could possibly hope to fling at them, and then totally paste me.

Am I doing something wrong with this tank or did I just blow tons of experience I earned playing the M3 (which wasn't all that fun, tbh) on the wrong tank? I was considering going for the M4 but the Heavy just looked cooler.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

USMC_Karl posted:

Well, speaking of new players, I'm relatively new to the game. I'm actually playing mostly on my smart phone during commutes, but when time allows I like to play on my PS4 as well.

I've been working my way through the US tech tree because it has some tanks that I know about, and have seem to have hit a snag with the T1 Heavy. It seems to be pretty undergunned and slow as a friggen pig. I mean, I know a heavy tank is going to be a bit sluggish and all, but I was sort of thinking that it would have armor to make up for that. However, it seems that most everyone (aside from other T1 Heavies, is blasting through me with ease and I'm not really able to keep up with other heavies. In particular, it seems like the soviet heavies (the K series boogers) can simply walk up to me, shrug off anything I could possibly hope to fling at them, and then totally paste me.

The console and Blitz versions are weird, but the T1 is much, much better than the M4. It just has a better gun and a pile of HP, and it isn't like the M4 is particularly mobile. You don't really have armor, but your turret is kind of small so you can just peek that over an obstacle and hold left click on enemy tanks. Shooting KVs is difficult because you need to hit the flat part above the autobounce slope, or have a really good shot on the lower plate, but other than that the T1 should be able to pen most of its tiermates. You're rarely going to be able to carry in the T1 because it doesn't have a really big first shot so you have to trade hits, and it doesn't have the armor to withstand shots forever, but you should be able to deal at least your own HP in damage routinely which is really all that should be asked of someone.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Hellsau posted:

The console and Blitz versions are weird, but the T1 is much, much better than the M4. It just has a better gun and a pile of HP, and it isn't like the M4 is particularly mobile. You don't really have armor, but your turret is kind of small so you can just peek that over an obstacle and hold left click on enemy tanks. Shooting KVs is difficult because you need to hit the flat part above the autobounce slope, or have a really good shot on the lower plate, but other than that the T1 should be able to pen most of its tiermates. You're rarely going to be able to carry in the T1 because it doesn't have a really big first shot so you have to trade hits, and it doesn't have the armor to withstand shots forever, but you should be able to deal at least your own HP in damage routinely which is really all that should be asked of someone.

Well thanks, it appears that I'm just generally sucking at the game. I'll try to stick it out and not be a huge drain on all my teammates. It sounds like I made a mistake thinking that the T1 would be able to be up on the front of a push and should just hang around in the middle of the pack.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You need to learn how to abuse your gun depression in order to play the T1 properly. If the enemy tanks are shooting anything other than your turret you're doing it wrong.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

So I should be trying to sit on the upslope side of a hill and just peeking up enough to get a shot off? Excuse the slowness, this is really all new to me and I'm sure I'm an absolutely miserable WoT player.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

USMC_Karl posted:

Well thanks, it appears that I'm just generally sucking at the game. I'll try to stick it out and not be a huge drain on all my teammates. It sounds like I made a mistake thinking that the T1 would be able to be up on the front of a push and should just hang around in the middle of the pack.

There's like three tanks in the game that can just push like that unless you know exactly how cowardly the enemy players will be.

USMC_Karl posted:

So I should be trying to sit on the upslope side of a hill and just peeking up enough to get a shot off? Excuse the slowness, this is really all new to me and I'm sure I'm an absolutely miserable WoT player.

Yeah, or if there's a pile of rubble in the city, just park behind it so you expose the least amount of your tank and then hold left click on enemy tanks. Your goal should be to deal your own HP in damage, so get in 6 penning shots basically. If you're facing tier 5s and lower, that should be trivial. If you're facing higher tier tanks, maybe just sitting in front of their guns isn't the best plan, but hell if you can get your damage out go for it.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Hellsau posted:

There's like three tanks in the game that can just push like that unless you know exactly how cowardly the enemy players will be.

Yeah, or if there's a pile of rubble in the city, just park behind it so you expose the least amount of your tank and then hold left click on enemy tanks. Your goal should be to deal your own HP in damage, so get in 6 penning shots basically. If you're facing tier 5s and lower, that should be trivial. If you're facing higher tier tanks, maybe just sitting in front of their guns isn't the best plan, but hell if you can get your damage out go for it.

I'm starting to see that. I was thinking that heavy tanks would be good up front where they can absorb some fire from the enemies, but it hasn't been working out quite like that. I've been having much more success in my tank destroyers, but I think that's mainly due to the caution I use when playing with them. I don't feel like such a turd hanging out behind my teammates when I'm using the TD, whereas I feel like a turd being cautious while driving around in a big 'ole heavy tank.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I like you and the way you think about tanks.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The 13 57 is the best thing ever. Also the 13 90 is hilarious once again, though not exactly release day hilarious.

If only I could face less super heavies in my 13 90. Getting hosed by a type 4 because I can't pen its sides if he just turns slightly is loving awful. Honestly, I keep thinking about light tanks overall. Compared to same tier mediums they have less armor, less pen, less dpm, about the same view range, often worse gun characteristics, less health, but they do go faster and have a bit better camo. I honestly think overall their role is mediocre at best.

I really do think Wargaming needs to institute more feedback from their players into their balancing, especially after the Graf Zeppelin poo poo.

HFX fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 28, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The changes to the tier 10 lights to mega nerf their view range to make it so players couldnt mount all the gun upgrades were just bizarre.

In fact it only makes sense if you figure they were going to use bigger maps like these 30 v 30 conquest things. Otherwise in all situations a Russian T10 medium is a better scout.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

USMC_Karl posted:

Am I doing something wrong with this tank or did I just blow tons of experience I earned playing the M3 (which wasn't all that fun, tbh) on the wrong tank? I was considering going for the M4 but the Heavy just looked cooler.

Hellsau wrote a really good summary of the T1HT, so much so that I'm considering re-buying it now (I only have a few tier 5 HTs that I'm not that thrilled with.) The T1 is more of a fat medium than a heavy, but tier 5 is weird because a lot of vehicles are still kinda gimped and unfun. Low tiers in general, and the loving M4 in particular have unusually poor gun handling, but the T1 was actually enjoyable to play. You just have to get past the idea that it's a "heavy" because it doesn't come with the armor that you'd expect, so just leverage that decent gun.

Redeye Flight posted:

I like you and the way you think about tanks.

I like how your custom avatar text is far longer than your actual posts. :3:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HFX posted:

If only I could face less super heavies in my 13 90. Getting hosed by a type 4 because I can't pen its sides if he just turns slightly is loving awful. Honestly, I keep thinking about light tanks overall. Compared to same tier mediums they have less armor, less pen, less dpm, about the same view range, often worse gun characteristics, less health, but they do go faster and have a bit better camo. I honestly think overall their role is mediocre at best.

I really do think Wargaming needs to institute more feedback from their players into their balancing, especially after the Graf Zeppelin poo poo.

Oh god. What did they do with the Zeppelin?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

They made it with torpedo bombers, gave it to community contributors to do video reviews, then replaced the torpedo bombers with dive bombers, and then put it on sale with links to the positive or semi positive reviews of what was a fundamentally different ship. Who exactly is to blame isn't clear, as it's been suggested that EU and NA started selling it weeks early, before head office had finished balancing it based on feedback, in order to coincide with Gamescom. One contributor made a video suggesting someone should be fired, and it was basically a repeat of the SirFoch incident, up to and including someone with PR training finally being told about it days later, and then having to put out a massive fire and offer refunds, with the ships pulled from the store.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 28, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm constantly amazed by how routinely and hilarious WG fucks up on the PR front. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of revenue and they can't pay a few competent people to control their message.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you can watch the video by farazelleth. He's currently the best aircraft player in world of warships and he just absolutely shits on the thing. Listing out all of the reasons why its bad and why it should never have been released.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lynneth posted:

Is the SU-152 just poo poo or am I doing something wrong? I have 45% WR on it, 7 below my average.

Load all gold rounds, maybe 1 or 2 HE. Equip gun Rammer & Vents, run food, and make sure your crew has BIA. Proceed to one shot or seriously hurt tanks your tier and lower, and also be a very credible threat to tier 8 and 9 tanks.

The SU-152 is awesome, the only problem that tank has is that you can only carry like 14 of rounds or something.

2Jets posted:

It's poo poo. I finished in 91 games at a 46% winrate. 8% less than my overall 3% less than my reacent wr.

The above is not a good opinion to have.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

Apart from the things in the posts above me, they made it a tier 8.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Imagine it like this, NTRabbit is Wargaming, his posts in this thread are Graf Zeppelin, and rest of the posters in this thread are WoWS players.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Hellsau wrote a really good summary of the T1HT, so much so that I'm considering re-buying it now (I only have a few tier 5 HTs that I'm not that thrilled with.) The T1 is more of a fat medium than a heavy, but tier 5 is weird because a lot of vehicles are still kinda gimped and unfun. Low tiers in general, and the loving M4 in particular have unusually poor gun handling, but the T1 was actually enjoyable to play. You just have to get past the idea that it's a "heavy" because it doesn't come with the armor that you'd expect, so just leverage that decent gun.

Yeah, after trying to do what Hellsau said I'm starting to feel the T1 a bit more. I'm still liking the Wolverine for a bit more hang-back punch, but the T1 doesn't feel like a slog now.

Not to keep blatting as the seemingly only new player in the thread, but I just unlocked the Chaffee and... wow. It's a poo poo load of fun. It seems to have decent durability, long legs, and a pretty small profile. I've found that I can get that bad boy up to near 60km/h as long as I have a decent straight to build up speed. Not only that, but the aim point isn't all that terrible on the move. The Leopard still seems to dominate as a light tank (or maybe I'm just playing against good players with it, I don't actually have one), but I like the looks of the Chaffee better.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

USMC_Karl posted:

Yeah, after trying to do what Hellsau said I'm starting to feel the T1 a bit more. I'm still liking the Wolverine for a bit more hang-back punch, but the T1 doesn't feel like a slog now.

Not to keep blatting as the seemingly only new player in the thread, but I just unlocked the Chaffee and... wow. It's a poo poo load of fun. It seems to have decent durability, long legs, and a pretty small profile. I've found that I can get that bad boy up to near 60km/h as long as I have a decent straight to build up speed. Not only that, but the aim point isn't all that terrible on the move. The Leopard still seems to dominate as a light tank (or maybe I'm just playing against good players with it, I don't actually have one), but I like the looks of the Chaffee better.

The Chaffee was a tank that not so long ago regularly saw tier10s and had 400 HP.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3790840?secret=32096e0ac00a7665211f2e49e576c542

Watch me carry in the Pershing, but almost throw it away at the end. See me: bully a T34, take on a Liberte & AC 48 simultaneously, loving clown a Skorpion, and then almost lose to the final IS-3. If I had gotten off one extra shot on him I'd have been a little more aggressive, but as it stands we got the W so gently caress that pubbie. :colbert:

USMC_Karl posted:

Yeah the M10, T1HT, M4, and T67 all more or less have the same gun, some variant of the M1 76 mm. It just handles like poo poo on the M4. The M10 is better than the M4, which is why I kept the former. The T67 is a better version of the M10 though, and I also kept that one.

Yeah the Chaffee finally got re-balanced into something that could fight the tanks it sees. I wouldn't say it's "durable" by any means, but it's fast as gently caress. The mediocre gun is really the only disappointment now.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/update-920-release/

9.20 tomorrow!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres gonna be some salty tears from the people still halfway up the french td tree.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Lots of Fochs given, then.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Theres gonna be some salty tears from the people still halfway up the french td tree.

Eh I am at the tier 7 and dont give a poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
8+ are all still going to be autoloaders right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Eh I am at the tier 7 and dont give a poo poo.

Same and the tier 7 basically made me quit tanks so at least that's one upside to the French TD tree.

Azhais posted:

8+ are all still going to be autoloaders right?

Yeah.