Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ozark is really good. Jason Bateman plays a great and subtle scumbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Watched the pilot for the new The Tick and it was really bad. Peter Serafinowicz does a great Adam West impression, as you might expect, but it's offputtingly grim and looks ugly as sin

The tone didn't really bother me at all; it's much more in line with the comics. Serafinowicz is much better in the second episode, though, and the costume looks light-years better.

quote:

Wally Pfister directed it so I was expecting something competent

I don't know, did you ever see--

quote:

I never saw Transcendence

Oh.

It was bad.

It was really bad.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Transcendence is fantastic if you're on a bunch of drugs. Other than that pass.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So it sounds like I'll like Death Note considering I've never heard of nor cared about the anime? Dope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timby posted:

Oh.

It was bad.

It was really bad.

I haven't seen The Tick but Transcendence was dope.

Field Mousepad posted:

Transcendence is fantastic if you're on a bunch of drugs. Other than that pass.

Actually, the opposite interpretation is true.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

bows1 posted:

So it sounds like I'll like Death Note considering I've never heard of nor cared about the anime? Dope.

Same. Going to watch it later this week after I finish marathoning the last few episodes of The Wire.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bows1 posted:

It's got some pacing issues but if you like Adam Wingard's other movies you'll probably enjoy it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Death Note was bad and I love it. Willam Dafoe was a master stroke of casting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I finally got around to watching Innerspace on Netflix. I haven't seen it in a very long time.

How come this movie never got the same sort of fanbase and following similar to what something like Ghostbusters has? It's similar in that it pairs great comedy with scifi and action. It has an amazing cast. Yeah you could probably swap out Dennis Quaid with someone else, but holy poo poo Martin Short is great in it. It'd be a totally different movie with someone else in it. Lots of other smaller parts and cameos as well. Plus it has Dick Miller, which GB doesn't have.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd were huge. Like, mind-blowingly huge. This is coming right off the heels of Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Stripes, and Trading Places. Just a career peak at the time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd put it more on the idea of being a Ghostbuster, a clever and triumphant underdog, being a popular power fantasy while nobody fantasizes about flying around inside Martin Short other than the person who's going to respond to this post saying how much they've always wanted to do that.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's got some pacing issues but if you like Adam Wingard's other movies you'll probably enjoy it.

I liked The Guest but haven't seen You're Next yet. I'll check this out.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Comrade Detective on amazon prime is great. Very original show, from the concept to the execution.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Death Note - Very entertaining. It made me think of Final Destination except Death is a bored demon and the main characters are power-hungry little shits.

Ozarks - It's good! Makes me think of Breaking Bad but, uh, darker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pycckuu posted:

Comrade Detective on amazon prime is great. Very original show, from the concept to the execution.

Yeah it's fantastic and surprisingly way more than just a joke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The deuce pilot was really entertaining. It's so scummy and gross it's a little hard to watch lol. The sets are incredible though. It's probably one of the most convincing looking period pieces I've seen.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Yeah it's fantastic and surprisingly way more than just a joke.

Its a parody that could have very easily turned into a Will Ferrel type show, but just the fact that they used Romanian actors in a fake-dubbed series gives it so much nuance... That premise alone makes it very cool and very worth watching. Also 80ies nostalgia lol.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ozark - I don't know if it's because of Arrested Development, but I often found myself wanting Marty to be a tiny bit more humourous.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lycus posted:

Ozark - I don't know if it's because of Arrested Development, but I often found myself wanting Marty to be a tiny bit more humourous.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That bit where he almost forgot his son at the redneck family's house was so Michael Bluth.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Death Note is schlocky fun and it really is incredible that it's as good as it is.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

tweet my meat posted:

Death Note is schlocky fun and it really is incredible that it's as good as it is.

Yeah, it's definitely better than it should've been. I still think the anime is more fun but this version's alright. I think the live-action Japanese movies failed because they were so slavish to the original, which is a problem this movie definitely does not have.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

tweet my meat posted:

Came here to say this.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I feel kinda bad for laughing at this. gently caress it.

Can y'all make a thread to jack off to death note to? 3 pages of this poo poo now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Field Mousepad posted:

Can y'all make a thread to jack off to death note to? 3 pages of this poo poo now.

Don't complain about people talking about a movie on Netflix in the streaming thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

veni veni veni posted:

The deuce pilot was really entertaining. It's so scummy and gross it's a little hard to watch lol. The sets are incredible though. It's probably one of the most convincing looking period pieces I've seen.

The throwaway bit in the very beginning where one of Franco's characters says 'Hi' to a prostitute blowing a guy in a phone booth absolutly sells the tone of the series.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks whoever recommended Comrade Detective. It's really special. They took a lot of risks in the concept and production of this show and so far for me they have all paid off 100%.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

You can stop bitching now

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fishtobaskets posted:

Thanks whoever recommended Comrade Detective. It's really special. They took a lot of risks in the concept and production of this show and so far for me they have all paid off 100%.

Comrade Detective is amazing, and I applaud everybody who worked on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

Yeah it's just solid as hell. I do wish there was a way to watch it in Romanian with English subtitles though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Field Mousepad posted:

Can y'all make a thread to jack off to death note to?

Death Note :circlefap:

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Yeah it's just solid as hell. I do wish there was a way to watch it in Romanian with English subtitles though.

Nobody likes to read though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every single villain in Ozark is absolutely ridiculous.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ozark was a pretty average show with too many stereotypes thrown in. I also thought the episodes Jason Bateman directed were very good to look at.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It's a fun watch and captures a slice of life in a place I would have never known about otherwise. Does remind me of my parents place on the Tennessee river back home a lot and the whole "lake life" aesthetic definitely applies to a lot of the south, including my home town. For reference I'm from a part of Appalachia that looks a lot like the ozarks apparently i.e. rolling hills tons of kudzu and deciduous trees bordering waterfront.

so it carried some nostalgia since I've been living in LA and haven't been home in a while

It didn't seem to take itself too seriously either which I appreciated.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GonSmithe posted:

Don't complain about people talking about a movie on Netflix in the streaming thread.
Well it sure ain't no Train to Busan.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Warning everyone, please don't watch Disjointed. It's just Big Bang Theory, except stoners. I thought the opening gag was just a joke, but the laugh track didn't end :barf: I had to shut it off after 5 mins.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

air- posted:

Warning everyone, please don't watch Disjointed. It's just Big Bang Theory, except stoners. I thought the opening gag was just a joke, but the laugh track didn't end :barf: I had to shut it off after 5 mins.

Should have called it The Big Bong Theory.

Is it meditatively bad? Sometimes I let mawkish sitcom poo poo wash over me like a stupefying wave after work and it really helps dull the pain of existence.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is that the one with Kathy Bates? I could tell from the teaser image that it was going to be goddamn terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Should have called it The Big Bong Theory.

Is it meditatively bad? Sometimes I let mawkish sitcom poo poo wash over me like a stupefying wave after work and it really helps dull the pain of existence.

I don't think you're getting it. It is literally created by the same guy who did Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. If you can tolerate those, then sure. I personally can't tolerate them enough to even have on in the background, so I won't be checking out Disjointed, despite my love of Kathy Bates.