Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hollismason posted:

Basically to not to. Donations are great and everything but Red Cross really needs money and canned foods. Red Cross literally just gives clothes away to other charities because they have so many. Your kids clothes are basically just gonna sit in a warehouse somewhere. Clothes also cost them money because they have to wash them and sort them

Don't give anything to the Red Cross ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Manning wasn't pardoned. Her sentence was commuted. The administration was not okay with her actions but felt that the abuse she suffered during her imprisonment was enough punishment for her crimes. Sheriff Joe's human rights abuse violations were pardoned, indicating the administration was okay with his actions. Of course, the legal and social distinctions between pardons and commuting are lost on the talking heads of the right wing so I'm pretty much just pissing into the wind here.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

inkblot posted:

Also Manning wasn't pardoned. Her sentence was commuted. The administration was not okay with her actions but felt that the abuse she suffered during her imprisonment was enough punishment for her crimes. Sheriff Joe's human rights abuse violations were pardoned, indicating the administration was okay with his actions. Of course, the legal and social distinctions between pardons and commuting are lost on the talking heads of the right wing so I'm pretty much just pissing into the wind here.

i get one of the people was manning but who was the terrorist she was talking about? i assume it was that Puerto rican separatist.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i get one of the people was manning but who was the terrorist she was talking about? i assume it was that Puerto rican separatist.

That or the release of Gitmo prisoners.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crain posted:

That or the release of Gitmo prisoners.

maybe. wernt they killed in drone strike like 2 months later or some poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Conservatives don't consider anything Arpaio did to be bad, including his white collar crimes because once again they don't actually care about law and order except as a way to oppress the people they don't like with the criminal justice system. Fox News used to kiss his rear end constantly while he had his human rights abuse camps in full swing. My mom used to know about him only as "that wacky sheriff that really treated his dogs well" since right wing media spent a lot of time deliberately spreading misinformation about him.

The sooner people come to terms with the fact that Trump isn't extremely divergent from other Republicans, he's just not interested in wearing a mask of respectability like the rest of his party the better. A standard Republican wouldn't pardon Joe because that's too obvious a tell but none of them are actually really sad about this.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 28, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Old James posted:

Are you sure we're talking about price gouging and not the American Healthcare System? Because they sound a lot alike.

My opinion is the same on both subjects. gently caress price gougers and gently caress the American healthcare system.

they are basically identical in crisis pricing

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CompeAnansi posted:

Don't give anything to the Red Cross ever.

Find a more *pure* charity for your precious, pure dollars.

Oh wait, they all have some sort of issues somewhere, so never give anything to charity ever.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Oh wait, they all have some sort of issues somewhere, so never give anything to charity ever.

what_libertarians_actually_believe.txt

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The American Red Cross has a A- rating and 90% of funds go to the program, it's fine to donate.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This cube is...not a cube, right? I think the angles are off.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm not sure if you're mentally challenged or being purposefully obtuse. Saying that all charities waste money is entirely irrelevant when comparing relative amounts of waste amongst charities. Red Cross is so much worse than your other options. I don't know why you'd try and normalize the corruption in the red cross unless you're employed by them.

I'll just leave this here: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief

The red cross built 6 permanent houses with the hundreds of millions it received for Haiti reconstruction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

If we want to knock down and discredit lovely conservative hacks, we should track who DT RTs and lambast them. That's a lot of RTs.

I feel like the response to this stuff should be just a set of automated bots spamming "Bbbbuuut Obama"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm not sure if you're mentally challenged or being purposefully obtuse. Saying that all charities waste money is entirely irrelevant when comparing relative amounts of waste amongst charities. Red Cross is so much worse than your other options. I don't know why you'd try and normalize the corruption in the red cross unless you're employed by them.

If you aren't just looking to start an argument try making it a routine to suggest an alternative when you decry one charity organization or another. Keep in mind that you're aiming this at people who want to donate money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am always amazed at the inability of people hear to read clear sardonic tone.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/902173320103251968

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/902173814326525952

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/902174371426512896

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/902174950236323840

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/902175483902779392

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The American Red Cross has a A- rating and 90% of funds go to the program, it's fine to donate.

Wait, they spend $30 to get a $100 so right off the bat that is a 70% efficiency rating, then you knock off an additional 10% to run the programs so their real effienccy is a lot closer to 60% not 90%.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

If the water gets too high then the extreme pressure (magnified several times by the rapid pace of the floodwaters entering the reservoirs) could cause the levees to catastrophically fail

Your explanation of water pressure here is completely incorrect. Water pressure is a function of depth and nothing else, so we can calculate the amount of pressure at the bottom of the levee to be ~1.9 bar (https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=water+pressure+at+30+ft+depth), which is less than 2x atmospheric pressure. Failures in levees don't happen because of pressure, they happen because of erosion or overtopping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levee_breach

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Math class is tough

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

If people have more suggestions for charities to add to the Hurricane Harvey resource list (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2874#post475807434) I'm happy to update. You can leave them in thread or PM me or Discendo Vox.

We're currently checking and updating the evacuation areas.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 28, 2017

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

If you aren't just looking to start an argument try making it a routine to suggest an alternative when you decry one charity organization or another. Keep in mind that you're aiming this at people who want to donate money.

Fair enough. Here are some options and their relative ratings: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5239

Like just compare these two from that list:

Direct Relief: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3626&fromlistid=269
Red Cross: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277&fromlistid=269

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beachcomber posted:

A square two miles on a side is two miles square, not four miles square

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

Your explanation of water pressure here is completely incorrect. Water pressure is a function of depth and nothing else, so we can calculate the amount of pressure at the bottom of the levee to be ~1.9 bar (https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=water+pressure+at+30+ft+depth), which is less than 2x atmospheric pressure. Failures in levees don't happen because of pressure, they happen because of erosion or overtopping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levee_breach

Levees often fail due to erosion of the foundation, which is directly due to the water pressure forcing water through tiny cracks that erupt in boils on the other side. It's even mentioned in the article you linked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Donate to the Red Cross they help people , punch anyone who says you shouldn't

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Data Graham posted:

He's talking about the actual photo, and yeah, the right sides are not straight.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Edit: never mind this is a dumb conversation.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hollismason posted:

Donate to the Red Cross they help people , punch anyone who says you shouldn't

Donate to a better charity like Direct Relief: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3626&fromlistid=269

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

I meant the way it's drawn.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Out of curiosity, what grounds are they challenging it on?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Good news, NWS has invented new colors.

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/902174274571689984

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Donate your blood in a ziploc directly to a grandma in that nursing home picture.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Red Cross was, traditionally, absolutely one of the best charities in the world and did amazing work.

The problem is that during Haiti, they got too much money, and they decided that instead of saving it and doing what they do best - disaster relief - that they would get into the "rebuilding after a disaster" business. They knew nothing about this, had no infrastructure for it, and it was an enormous mistake on their part. They didn't steal the money or anything, but they had absolutely no idea how to accomplish their goals and wasted enormous amounts of money while nothing got done. This was a (deserved) major hit to their reputation but I think they're still really good at the disaster relief part.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This storm broke the thermometer! :wth:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

For a while I've come to think the best way to combat the rise of extremism is to craft our own narrative about how the world should be but not is. The difficulty with this is starting with the deconstruction of both sides lazy political thought. I dont think it's particularly of use or effective to try to change the minds of actual Nazis, they will always exist in a minority, just like libertarians.

Huston has a scale of problem at the moment only a coherent nation state can respond to, it seems like the lower levels of government are generally acting in good faith and credibility considering the circumstances.

Ah, I don't know, maybe the only thing I have over the libertarians is that if my statist world view is wrong I want it to be proven so, that I may peruse something of use instead.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Data Graham posted:

Fake math.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Levees often fail due to erosion of the foundation, which is directly due to the water pressure forcing water through tiny cracks that erupt in boils on the other side. It's even mentioned in the article you linked.

Right, but the explanation I quoted made it seem like the large volume of water behind the levee was somehow increasing the pressure on it, which is untrue. Also, Water pressure pushing water through and eroding the soil is something that happens over fairly long periods of time and tends to affect reservoirs that constantly have water behind them. This levee has no more pressure on it than any other 30' deep reservoir. In the short term, overtopping is the real danger.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Oxyclean posted:

Out of curiosity, what grounds are they challenging it on?

https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-files-lawsuit-challenging-trumps-transgender-service-member-ban

"In the lawsuit, the ACLU argues that the ban violates the constitutional guarantees of equal protection and substantive due process by singling out transgender individuals for unequal and discriminatory treatment. The lawsuit argues that the ban discriminates based on sex and transgender status and that the ban is based on uninformed speculation, myths and stereotypes, moral disapproval, and a bare desire to harm this already vulnerable group."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

Hey you try squishing two mile square of water into an exact cube above a major city and see if you can do a better job!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are apparently also using his tweets that had a BS rationalization based on nothing (we have to save money by kicking out trans people) as an example of how it's obviously discriminatory.

Dude would be a lot more efficient in his evil if he wasn't such a dumbfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

theflyingorc posted:

The Red Cross was, traditionally, absolutely one of the best charities in the world and did amazing work.

The problem is that during Haiti, they got too much money, and they decided that instead of saving it and doing what they do best - disaster relief - that they would get into the "rebuilding after a disaster" business. They knew nothing about this, had no infrastructure for it, and it was an enormous mistake on their part. They didn't steal the money or anything, but they had absolutely no idea how to accomplish their goals and wasted enormous amounts of money while nothing got done. This was a (deserved) major hit to their reputation but I think they're still really good at the disaster relief part.

This is probably a fairer and more balanced view of the Red Cross. That said, I feel like not enough people know of the shitshow that the Red Cross was in Haiti, so I'll continue to link charities that haven't messed up yet.

• Locked thread