Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, that was an original song they made for the movie? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Apparently David Bowie was planned to be one of the Ravagers before he passed. :smith: I wish they'd gotten that filmed in time, it would've been neat to see him there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

David Bowie should have starred in something adapted from Grant Morrison. Aggressively so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inescapable Duck posted:

I was reminded a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide by this movie, especially Ego's introduction and his retro egg spaceship aesthetic.

Nailed it! Wife and I were trying to think of what it reminded us of and that's definitely it. Also got a bit of a Hellboy 2 vibe off it, mostly from the Space Elves

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Ego transforms into David Hasselhoff to provide Quill a familiar face that he could relate to. Which would have been fine...if it wasn't done 30 seconds after you just told him that you murdered his goddamned mother! Then there's that scene where Quill and Ego are fighting and they turn into Skeletor and Pacman, respectively. Again, would have been a fine gag if it wasn't for the fact that it's done an incredibly climactic moment and that you wouldn't think Quill would be feeling in a very comedic or creative mood by that point.

Did Ego turn into Skeletor? Wasn't he just a larger version of himself? I thought it was only Quill that transformed, and he chose that particular character because he didn't have a handle on his powers or because that's just the thing a devilish rogue would do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did Ego turn into Skeletor? Wasn't he just a larger version of himself? I thought it was only Quill that transformed, and he chose that particular character because he didn't have a handle on his powers or because that's just the thing a devilish rogue would do.

Just watched this again last night and you are correct, Ego just accretes a bunch of rocks into a larger Ego shape, while Quill does the same but with the Pac-Man shape.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, my bad. I thought he turned into Skeletor cause Quill made a reference to him when he also mentioned Pac Man.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
just watched this, here are some shots from my favorite scene:

http://i.imgur.com/6EJeqhZ.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/w4bkQQd.mp4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's happening in this scene?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gamora is angry that Star-Lord's hitting it off with his dad and not realizing that something hosed up is happening. She sits in a field contemplating her life when her angry sister Nebula comes and attacks her in a spaceship, which she drives into a cave to kill her while Gamora runs away.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Huh.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gamora and Nebula hate each other and then they don't because family.

I just think the composition and lighting work really well for a quick scene like that, at least compared to the rest of the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It's clearly influenced by Attack of the Clones, but the composition is ill-defined and flat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Gamora and Nebula hate each other and then they don't because family.

I just think the composition and lighting work really well for a quick scene like that, at least compared to the rest of the movie.

The colors and textures are absolutely gorgeous.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The actual composition is very bad though.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Notice how this has no real point of interest (Gamora? The sun? The wisps of clouds?) or rhythm of movement in this. Everything is presented in the same soft light, and seems to occupy the same plane so there's no sense of space - Gamora seems to be sitting on the horizon almost.

Here there is a point of interest in the shape of the cave mouth (the lightining even emphasises it with the sun on the right), but it's unrelated to the action and so it's just distracting.

Why is this presented from such a dull angle? Wouldn't it be much more exciting to feature this, say, from up-front with the ship crashing towards the camera?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You clearly have no real concept of design.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's clearly influenced by Attack of the Clones, but the composition is ill-defined and flat.

The Star Wars prequels and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are both drawing inspiration from similar sources. Here's some Bob Eggleton paintings from the 70s Sci-Fi Art tumblr that have similar imagery or color choices:

And Chris Foss was a spaceship designer on the first movie. Not that I don't think Star Wars was an influence, but I think these movies take enough influence from other, similar places it just seems a little simplistic to say it's taking influence from Attack of the Clones. It's taking more obvious influence from North by Northwest.

Also here's some unused concept art for Ego's planet.

edit:

Notice how this has no real point of interest (Gamora? The sun? The wisps of clouds?) or rhythm of movement in this. Everything is presented in the same soft light, and seems to occupy the same plane so there's no sense of space - Gamora seems to be sitting on the horizon almost.

The light draws your attention already, but so does the fact that Gamora is the darkest element in the frame, and since they're placed so close together Gamora's emphasized even more and holds a lot of visual weight.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can you actually source a link that proves anybody would take cues from the Star Wars prequels? I have serious doubts anybody would take inspiration from those movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SleepCousinDeath posted:

drat that is gorgeous.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

Can you actually source a link that proves anybody would take cues from the Star Wars prequels? I have serious doubts anybody would take inspiration from those movies.

I can practically hear the contemptuous emphasiss on "those movies," like you're talking about some seedy part of town where no respectable people go.

e:

I like how much you had to exaggerate those lines so that they seem to turn inward towards Gamora.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It's a little off since I don't have photoshop on my work computer, but more emphasis on you being wrong about the green girl surrounded by glowing yellow.

Here there is a point of interest in the shape of the cave mouth (the lightining even emphasises it with the sun on the right), but it's unrelated to the action and so it's just distracting.

Yeah, her running into a cave with a narrow mouth to escape the large space ship has nothing to do with the action in the scene. :jerkbag:

Why is this presented from such a dull angle? Wouldn't it be much more exciting to feature this, say, from up-front with the ship crashing towards the camera?

This would make Gamora seem at an equal ratio to the space ship. The scene is designed to show 1) She is vulnerable and at a disadvantage; 2) To show the ship getting closer to her despite her running; 3) The destruction of the cave around her.

What you suggest sounds like something from Paul W.S. Anderson (at worst) or Indiana Jones (at best).

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can practically hear the contemptuous emphasiss on "those movies," like you're talking about some seedy part of town where no respectable people go.

Totally

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The light draws your attention already, but so does the fact that Gamora is the darkest element in the frame, and since they're placed so close together Gamora's emphasized even more and holds a lot of visual weight.

I like how much you had to exaggerate those lines so that they seem to turn inward towards Gamora.

They aren't exaggerations, though? They traced the plant pointing towards Gamora, Gamora's shadow that points to her, the shadows cast by rocks pointing at her, the swirling arora borealis pointing towards her, and how both edges of the landscape slope towards the level she's sitting at.

You're just a wrong idiot pretending to know design, searching through your folders for designs from Man of Steel or Hitchhiker's Guide to say how right you are.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The implication that the film is composed not using the edges of the frame, but using the edges of the 16:9 HDTV that frame is going to be letterboxed inside of for home viewing, is interesting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's honesly bit of a fool's quest to look for good lines of movment, because they're so wafty - we're talking about clouds and soft shadows. Even the plants and the mountain range are blurry. Hell, Gamora's own shadow betrays her and seems to be leading towards the sun. The emphasis is really on a level plane with little depth.

This is why The Plague_Demon need to add arrows, and to ignore those two clouds.

Bonus: Gamora's new friends :3:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

The implication that the film is composed not using the edges of the frame, but using the edges of the 16:9 HDTV that frame is going to be letterboxed inside of for home viewing, is interesting.

I had to use a weird website just to get that to work. When I did it without the edges, the grid design was cut off, and I'm not wasting more than 10 minutes arguing with Bravest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I had to use a weird website just to get that to work. When I did it without the edges, the grid design was cut off, and I'm not wasting more than 10 minutes arguing with Bravest.

I can't fault you for the low effort, it just didn't end up being particularly convincing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, I was totally convinced by your aspect ratio argument, Franchescanado :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I coincidentally just saw this movie yesterday too. I like it a lot and it's really pretty. I was worried it was going to go off the rails once they split up and Yondu was becoming a major character but they didn't use him for just silly stuff and it worked. I'm really happy they went all in with the 70s/early 80s sci-fi art aesthetic. I like the first Guardians a lot too but it felt like it wasn't totally committed to this like Volume 2 is. Especially with the new stuff like The Sovereign. Guardians 1 had that awesome moment where it was like a splash page come to life as Drax holds out his hand and says BEHOLD but this one was way more consistently successful at evoking the way those comics looked. I'm really really really happy there's a movie that looks and sounds (both musically and dialogue) the way this one does set to Kurt Russell talking about what it means to be a god and his perception of existence and stuff.

Also like, I'm assuming Stallone and his team will be major characters in the third one otherwise. :laffo:

One thing though, when does his movie take place compared to Civil War/Ragnarok/Black Panther? I know heavy duty superhero poo poo goes down regularly in the MCU but will no one care that a massive alien tumor popped up and absorbed a bunch of buildings/people on earth? There's a crowd of people who outrun it but it very clearly wipes out dozens of folks/a hundred folks or so.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also I mean, Hundu asked "what's happening in that scene" and that shot in particular shows a character who feels isolated and insignificant...small and alone in the lower left corner of the frame. It's like the worst of that series of shots to nitpick because it honestly does tell a pretty succinct story visually (not that it couldn't be done better)

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

It's honesly bit of a fool's quest to look for good lines of movment, because they're so wafty - we're talking about clouds and soft shadows. Even the plants and the mountain range are blurry. Hell, Gamora's own shadow betrays her and seems to be leading towards the sun. The emphasis is really on a level plane with little depth.

This is why The Plague_Demon need to add arrows, and to ignore those two clouds.

The elements are arranged in such a way that they point generally toward Gamora. You don't need literal lines to do that, you can do that with elements in the painting and creating a sense of directional movement. Here, I've highlighted it even more:

Also, if we close in and mess with the image a little, here's a few hard to see areas doing the same thing:

Another fun one is the abrupt transition between the orange and blue creates a line that points pretty much right at her.

As a bonus, here's some concept art for Zootopia by Matthias Lechner to show that I'm not just making poo poo up about how this works:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

They actually point as much at the sun. Your other example has very dramatic contrast, but the GotG shot emphasises softness and roundness in its movement. The scene reveals that Gamora isn't isolated, she's actually appreciating the nature as shown by the close-up of the plant - looking at the environment was the point the whole time. The deeper problem is the image's flatness, which makes it look oddly repulsive when the point of interest (the whole environment) has such level focus.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, her running into a cave with a narrow mouth to escape the large space ship has nothing to do with the action in the scene. :jerkbag:

"Narrow"? It's wide and absolutely dwarfs her. The semi-circle is the most dramatic part of the image and it's what draws the eye.

Franchescanado posted:

You're just a wrong idiot pretending to know design, searching through your folders for designs from Man of Steel or Hitchhiker's Guide to say how right you are.

Hahaha holy poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 28, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The scene reveals that Gamora isn't isolated, she's actually appreciating the nature as shown by the close-up of the plant

She's not looking at the plant and the whole framing of that shot:

is basically a thought bubble, it's hinting at what she is actually thinking of. So a pair of matched plants implies she is thinking of a partner/friend/lover that she is now separated from, connecting from the previous shot.

You're not wrong on a lot of this stuff but "she's not lonely she's just appreciating the plants and stuff" is really inaccurate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

"Narrow"? It's wide and absolutely dwarfs her. The circle is the most dramatic part of the image and it's what draws the eye.

Hahaha holy poo poo

Narrow as in it's smaller than the space ship zooming at her, not compared to the person small enough to run inside of it.

But you're right about the latter. I get worked up. You actively piss me off. You're the only person on the forums who pisses me off, and that's remarkable. And I just keep engaging you as if you are capable of discussion or debate, and that's wrong of me for trying to talk with you, or even at you. Like we can reach some common ground. All just wasted energy.

Guy A. Person posted:

is basically a thought bubble, it's hinting at what she is actually thinking of. So a pair of matched plants implies she is thinking of a partner/friend/lover that she is now separated from, connecting from the previous shot.

The plants rub together making a really annoying noise in their union, so she slices them in half with a sword.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

The cave is kinda busy but it's pretty meticulously designed to draw your attention to where Gamora's standing, and later running. There's a lot of stuff I didn't highlight. Also, I like how the angle she's standing at in this shot matches up with where the ship is flying. The aurora borealis forms don't really match up but I assume those are for later on when the shot is tracking and Gamora and the ship are in different positions. (edit: yup) Honestly, the big effects shots are the best stuff in these movies, I assume in part because the effects guys tend to know what they're doing and can make sure everything fits without it being in real time and something going wrong.

edit

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 28, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy A. Person posted:

She's not looking at the plant and the whole framing of that shot:

You're not wrong on a lot of this stuff but "she's not lonely she's just appreciating the plants and stuff" is really inaccurate.

So how does her getting irritated by the sound of the two pods rubbing together then cutting them down play into that? Honest question, no snark intended.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Narrow as in it's smaller than the space ship zooming at her, not compared to the person small enough to run inside of it.

But you're right about the latter. I get worked up. You actively piss me off. You're the only person on the forums who pisses me off, and that's remarkable. And I just keep engaging you as if you are capable of discussion or debate, and that's wrong of me for trying to talk with you, or even at you. Like we can reach some common ground. All just wasted energy.

Wow, maybe you're too enamoured with GotG's mediocre pop art.

Also,

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

The cave is kinda busy but it's pretty meticulously designed to draw your attention to where Gamora's standing, and later running. There's a lot of stuff I didn't highlight. Also, I like how the angle she's standing at in this shot matches up with where the ship is flying. The aurora borealis forms don't really match up but I assume those are for later on when the shot is tracking and Gamora and the ship are in different positions. (edit: yup) Honestly, the big effects shots are the best stuff in these movies, I assume in part because the effects guys tend to know what they're doing and can make sure everything fits without it being in real time and something going wrong.

edit

This is dependent on ignoring parts of the picture - the cave mouth reveals a dramatic splash of colour that high-lights it shape. The cave walls contrast against that heavily. You've made the mistake of focusing on lines of movement above everything else, and you don't even really notice the most dramatic line of all - the circular shape of the cave mouth.

Guy A. Person posted:

I love how lame the cyborg femme fatale assassin has become through the movies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

So how does her getting irritated by the sound of the two pods rubbing together then cutting them down play into that? Honest question, no snark intended.

It's been awhile since I saw it in theaters but if my theory of what is on her mind is correct: I would say it means she is annoyed with herself for being bothered by her separation from Quill, so she lashes out.

Like:

I love how lame the cyborg femme fatale assassin has become through the movies.

is basically how she feels about herself at that moment.

Alternatively I guess the plants could also represent Quill and his father, so she is annoyed by them being together. Still illustrative of what's on her mind, I think.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

This is dependent on ignoring parts of the picture - the cave mouth reveals a dramatic splash of colour that high-lights it shape. The cave walls contrast against that heavily. You've made the mistake of focusing on lines of movement above everything else, and you don't even really notice the most dramatic line of all - the circular shape of the cave mouth.

Yeah, I saw that. I drew little lines around it. They wrap around and point at Gamora. The angles of parts of it match up with the action later in the shot, also.

Also, the big bright splash of color is good, because Gamora's pretty small and the contrast helps to highlight her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

howe_sam posted:

It's a cool depiction of how she needs actual emotional closure to the poo poo going on in her life beyond "yell at a person or kill a person," even in this very isolated area these two plants that are barely making a sound, are rubbing together making one that's just right to anger her because at this point in the movie she kinda sorta understands that but isn't ready to go through with it. It works really well because immediately before this we have scenes of Nebula gearing up to kill her no matter what, Quill and Ego getting along great, and her and Quill fighting because she comes off to Quill as jealous and bitter about him having a caring father/destiny. Then right after she decisively stops the "conflict" between the two plants by cutting them with her sword, Gamora and her sister mend their relationship a little after a brief battle, figures out that Mantis and Ego's situation is weird and vague enough that something is hosed up so she seeks out Mantis, there's the discovery of the figurative skeletons in the closet when they find the remains of Ego's previous kids. Like maybe she wouldn't have saved Nebula if she hadn't been able to sit out there and think for awhile, that's cool.

It also works because of the synaptic imagery throughout the planet. They already know Ego is the living planet itself and Kurt Russel is just an idealized projection of a living planet, the two buds clack against each other as Ego is getting more and more excited and maniacal sounding as he's telling Quill everything about his plans.

• Locked thread