Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good to hear. Are you ready to have to change your Wildfire rotation when the patch hits tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good to hear. Are you ready to have to change your Wildfire rotation when the patch hits tonight?

:crossarms: Are you messing with me or did patch notes get leaked?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

I have seen people doing prog on the fight and it looks completely amazing. Very, very little bullshit, either (unlike the one huge flaming RNG turd that is in Hali's last phase - briar dance is so much easier than stone dance, especially after loving Dark Tokens, that it almost amazes me the fight went live like that).

No joke, Emptiness was and still is the hardest part of NED for me and my static, even harder than Grand Cross Omega. You either get a total gimme pattern, or one where you've got one coming straight up the middle and he's doing outer antilight and oh god it's too late to react half the raid's dead and the other half has damage downs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DizzyBum posted:

Messing with you. Just a little. =P

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

You're (probably) safe. Mid-Wildfire rotations haven't changed much since 3.0- you have a Overheat rotation and a non-Overheated rotation and the only thing right now is that you don't use the latter much anymore.

It's everything between Wildfires that keeps changing.

hobbesmaster posted:

There isn't a definitive correct BLM rotation at the moment, you can find arguments on the balance discord. I mean it's all the fire 4s, refresh AF, blizzard 3, refresh thunder, etc. I guess once you figure out what you want to do around mechanics it's a script but that's because the fights themselves are on tight scripts

Good to know.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mr. Locke posted:

It's not that Gaius' beliefs are good, it's that we've not been given enough evidence they're wrong

I mean that the Garleans will sing the praises of Gaius (who went awol and whatnot) and Regulus but they'll never hold back on their racism. It's not like they don't know that Gaius was a lot less of a dick to non-Garleans, they're just willfully blind/ignorant of it.

Edit: It's one of those minor touches I really enjoy because it's true to life.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Messing with you. Just a little. =P

Although there is some new 4.1 information gleamed from various interviews lately, https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6wj9b1/patch_41_new_information_from_game_watch_famitsu/

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
We're still struggling to stay alive week enough to beat the first encounter of O4S but we finally settled on black hole strats that work well for us so we should get a swing at NED this week, looking forward to it.

E: the crazy hoops I go through to help my group, like spending 5 minutes in mspaint

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Machinist Patch Notes:
Split Shot: Removed Effect Increases Heat Gauge by 5
Hot Shot: Removed Effect Increases Heat Gauge by 5
Slug Shot: Removed Effect Increases Heat Gauge by 5
Clean Shot: Removed Effect Increases Heat Gauge by 5
Spread Shot: Removed Effect Increases Heat Gauge by 5
Flamethower: Removed Effect Heat Gauge gradually increases by 20 while Flamethrower is active.
Overheat now increases damage dealt by 100% while active

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

damage downs.

A common affliction in this game

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

BrightWing posted:

We're still struggling to stay alive week enough to beat the first encounter of O4S but we finally settled on black hole strats that work well for us so we should get a swing at NED this week, looking forward to it.

E: the crazy hoops I go through to help my group, like spending 5 minutes in mspaint

if you put the bossmans in the middle during black holes you suddenly have all the space in the world

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vadoc posted:

Although there is some new 4.1 information gleamed from various interviews lately, https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6wj9b1/patch_41_new_information_from_game_watch_famitsu/

"They are starting to focus in doing something about (the core system of) Glamours"

It's happeniiiiiiiiiiiing~

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
We do that for second black hole, first one has those nasty Fire 3's we're trying to safely spread out, and the melee in particular said they liked edge more so

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Vadoc posted:

4.1で「極xx討滅戦」の実装が確定
Royal Menagerie Extreme confirmed

:getin:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kuvo posted:

4.1で「極xx討滅戦」の実装が確定
Royal Menagerie Extreme confirmed

:getin:

It's just normal menagerie with 7 sprouts

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Summoner Patch Notes
Increased Summon Bahamut model size by 300%

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Saint Freak posted:

Summoner Patch Notes
Increased Summon Bahamut model size by 300%
Still not transparent.

ftfy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

it's never going to be transparent because if two transparent objects come into contact with one another the game explodes

seriously

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS TRANSPARENT OBJECTS

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does Return to Ivalice having tons of spoilers mean that if I'm inbetween tactics, 12 (ect) I'll get spoiled on plot details or like there's so much going on for return to ivalice practically everything will ruin our tighly knit suprises

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think they mean that they're not going to preview much of it because any little clip could spoil the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Return to Ivalice having tons of spoilers mean that if I'm inbetween tactics, 12 (ect) I'll get spoiled on plot details or like there's so much going on for return to ivalice practically everything will ruin our tighly knit suprises

It sounds like the plot has a lot of twists and they don't want to show clips because they'll give stuff away.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

須藤氏が物騒なことをブツブツ言いながら企画していたのですさまじそう
Sudo Kenji, the designer for the upcoming Beyond Savage mode, mumbles alot of unsettling words during the planning stage, and it seems that the scale is going to be rather epic (have to elaborate on this one: it's more on the scale of dreadful, terrifying and breathless, but again, since we don't know how it's like yet..."epic" is more suitable of a word until the patch is released and live).
今まで入った中で1番難しいコンテンツになる
This content mode is going to be the hardest of all since he joined the team.
難易度は侵攻編零式ぐらい
The difficulty is roughly about the same as The Second Coil of Bahamut Savage. (In YoshiP's words: 侵攻編零式ぐらいだと思っておいてください。"Please think of the difficulty to be somewhere around Second Coil Savage")

:unsmigghh:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

it's never going to be transparent because if two transparent objects come into contact with one another the game explodes

seriously

Is that why everything disappears by dithering out as opposed to fading via transparency?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Countblanc posted:

I think they mean that they're not going to preview much of it because any little clip could spoil the story.

They might also dump a ton of it out there; the summaries are still a bit unclear. (Or maybe they'll totally show the raid off without spoiling the story?)

Personally I am totally ready for Ivalice being a shard of Hydaelyn, it explains why they're being so cagey and they've been jerking off the concept of the shards for a while so the time is right to take the next step and visit one, and hey presto it's a previously existing setting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SpaceDrake posted:

Personally I am totally ready for Ivalice being a shard of Hydaelyn, it explains why they're being so cagey and they've been jerking off the concept of the shards for a while so the time is right to take the next step and visit one, and hey presto it's a previously existing setting.

I don't want to see that. There's plenty of room in the unexplored continent between Aldenard and the Far East, let alone the rest of the world. Liberating another area from the empire would fit better thematically anyways.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Don't see why they can't do one thing then go back to the other thing in the next expansion

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

They might also dump a ton of it out there; the summaries are still a bit unclear. (Or maybe they'll totally show the raid off without spoiling the story?)

Oh no doubt. FFXIV has been building towards pulling an FF4 After Years twist for a while, with all the hints that the 13th/the Void might just be FF3's world with a Bad End, especially when if it turns out Unukalhai is actually just Luneth.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So they are actually calling the 4.1 raid tier Beyond Savage? I'm looking forward to having official sanction when I refer to them as BS mode raids.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Is there a website that tells you what amount of a stat to shoot for as a class? I just hit 65 on my first class and want to be prepped for picking up upgrades. Also I didn't see this in the past couple of pages.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh no doubt. FFXIV has been building towards pulling an FF4 After Years twist for a while, with all the hints that the 13th/the Void might just be FF3's world with a Bad End, especially when if it turns out Unukalhai is actually just Luneth.

Not sure I saw that; the 13th has seemed like Irish Mythology Town more than anything, and an attempt to explain why a prominent franchise demon is named Cuchulainn (turns out they ALL got demonized!)

Either way, for good or head-slapping ill I do expect there will be some shards shenanigans for Return to Ivalice; the timing is just too right. I've been wrong before, though!

Also:

Velthice posted:

The randomness of the last phase of o3s is the only part of the fight I like because the entire fight before that is so set in stone I can see the boss reading her script inbetween attacks. Not that you know, bosses shouldn't have scripts but for o3s it feels to me at least that the variance you encounter (mostly the elemental attacks) aren't really exciting until the last phase. I guess my example of a boss I really liked that had interesting variance would be cruise chaser. BUUUUUT to each their own

I agree that some variance in a fight is good for maintaining interest and both O3 and O4 are a little heavy on the scripting. My complaint is just how honestly imbalanced the two possible mechanics are.

If you get thorns, you have to run a little bit but you take no damage and it's the easiest thing in the world to deal with. Monks might lose stacks, but you won't lose that much raid DPS and if anything the healers get a moment to take a breath.

Stone, however, slaps you for 20k guaranteed AFTER a whole bunch of people have taken damage and now you need to move to get safe, making it harder to top people up for the big hit happening right after the big hit.

They're just so completely incomparable in terms of challenge and pressure that it ends up being a coinflip on how hard the boss decides to be.

edit:

Foreskin Problems posted:

Is there a website that tells you what amount of a stat to shoot for as a class? I just hit 65 on my first class and want to be prepped for picking up upgrades. Also I didn't see this in the past couple of pages.

You no longer need to shoot for specific numbers of a stat; that happily died out with Stormblood. There are better main stats for any given job, and a decent job guide should tell you which main stat you prioritize more. (Super TLDR: if you're SMN/BRD/SCH, Crit; if you're most other DPS, Direct Hit; if you're a non-SCH healer, either det or spell speed to your preference; if you're a tank on progression, tenacity.)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It doesn't matter until you hit 70 and then it doesn't matter very much unless you are raiding, just get the highest ilvl equipment you can get for your class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

There aren't any stat targets left after the Stormblood changes. Instead there's just stat priorities. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in general it's something like:

Weapon Damage >>>>> mainstat >> (tenacity if MT in savage progression) > direct hit > determination > critical > skill speed/spell speed > tenacity > piety

Bards specifically value crit way higher, and I think black mages value spell speed higher? But that works for most classes I think. Unless you're doing savage raiding it's pretty moot because it will be extremely rare for you to actually have a choice between two different items of the same item level.

One slight oddity is that crit gets better the more of it you have and direct hit gets worse the more of it you have, so the priority will change as stats inflate over the course of the expansion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do gatherers and crafters still have numbers to shoot for at level 70, or did SB make that more player friendly too?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

There aren't any stat targets left after the Stormblood changes. Instead there's just stat priorities. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in general it's something like:

Weapon Damage >>>>> mainstat >> (tenacity if MT in savage progression) > direct hit > determination > critical > skill speed/spell speed > tenacity > piety

Bards specifically value crit way higher, and I think black mages value spell speed higher? But that works for most classes I think. Unless you're doing savage raiding it's pretty moot because it will be extremely rare for you to actually have a choice between two different items of the same item level.

One slight oddity is that crit gets better the more of it you have and direct hit gets worse the more of it you have, so the priority will change as stats inflate over the course of the expansion.

last i heard monks prefer crit because of deep meditation

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't this more that DH has specifically linear growth vs Crit which is "exponential"?

There's a cutoff for sufficient DH in terms of reliability where you end up trading off for potential crit gains which are worth substantially more at the same point on the progression curve.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Emalde posted:

Isn't this more that DH has specifically linear growth vs Crit which is "exponential"?

There's a cutoff for sufficient DH in terms of reliability where you end up trading off for potential crit gains which are worth substantially more at the same point on the progression curve.

I think I heard DH is actually worse than linear. Det is linear, and crit is exponential

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Two other oddities that I can speak on:

Samurai *wants* SkS.
AST doesn't care between Crit or Det, it cares that you pick one and stick to it. Prioritize that stat on all pieces of your gear, minimize SpS, splash Pie as needed, and you're good.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 28, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Crit would be quadratic I imagine since it scales crit chance and crit multiplier. Spellspeed would theoretically scale the hardest since with enough of it you could reach an arbitrarily low GCD and you'd be able to use abilities as fast as you can animate/buttonmash but youd need like a 1.5 GCD for the nonlinearity to be noticeable so in practice it's linear.

And yeah BLM wants SS since they don't run out of resources, though the introduction of Foul means it's not quite as important as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do gatherers and crafters still have numbers to shoot for at level 70, or did SB make that more player friendly too?

You still have some pretty insane numbers you want to shoot for with gathering. 1200 perception is required to even begin HQing the highest tier atm.