Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SeaborneClink posted:

Some people are 115% content to show up and collect a paycheck and as long as that isn't threatened, why rock the boat. See also local/municipal gov.

:eng101:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We've lost 5 directors just this year. 2 of them were HR .

:pseudo:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Unrelated question: how long does it usually take vendors to deliver quotes for you? I'm constantly astonished that it takes our current VAR days to turn around what seem like straightforward server quotes. If I can do something in ten minutes on Dell's retail web site, why does it take days to provide corporate pricing for the same thing?

It is agreed upon in the call where I ask for the quote. If I need something "right now" for my budget sheet I tell them that and I get back an MSRP quote (or similar.) The VAR I use can turn around something in an hour, even having to go through Dell's poo poo show, if I ask him to make it happen. In the end it comes down to your relationship with them. If they aren't responsive to your properly communicated needs then dump them. If you're west coast I can refer someone to you who will actually pick up the phone.

Edit: \/ I chose this VAR based on how they treated me when I was small time.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 28, 2017

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Unrelated question: how long does it usually take vendors to deliver quotes for you? I'm constantly astonished that it takes our current VAR days to turn around what seem like straightforward server quotes. If I can do something in ten minutes on Dell's retail web site, why does it take days to provide corporate pricing for the same thing?

It depends sometimes. If you're not a big spender with your VAR he might be putting you in the "when I have nothing else to do" file and taking his time to get back to you.

If it's a bigger quote, they may be "registering the deal" with the manufacturer to get extra discounts.

My old VAR though, could check on stock from the big 3 distributors realtime though. So if we wanted servers quick we could take something sitting in inventory, if we wanted custom builds, he could quote for that. Lots of different options.

If your a little fish though, you're going to get lovely service from a busy VAR rep because you're not worth much to him.

Dell might be another story though, if he's dealing with a B2B rep over there... who knows. Dell is a loving mess since they went private.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Re: people leaving, I agree with the thread consensus that management should be chill and wish them well, but I make (made) an exception for people who don't stick for a reasonable amount of time. During my 13 years as a manager, the only time I ever complained about someone leaving was when someone came to my UNIX SA team out of the NOC, stayed barely long enough to get into our oncall rotation, and then quit. I told him straight up that I thought it was unfair to us, especially to the SA who had spend dozens of hours mentoring him, and that he should handle his job searches more carefully in the future.

You gave fair reasons for making that complaint to him, and if he's smart he'll have taken those to heart. This is worlds different from taking it as a personal insult that someone quit.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Does anyone have any experience running a Tableau cluster in AWS?

I was asked to get a Tableau server set up on a single instance and to make sure it had enough resources for peak load with a ~40 seat license, which according to their documentation ended up being a 4XL. This obviously feels like Doing Cloud Wrong ™ - I want to run a primary server on a smaller EC2 and then scale worker nodes based on load, but I can't seem to find any guidance on minimum specs for the primary server or recommended specs and number of users per worker node.

I know I can test this all, and plan to run my own tests to find a happy place between price and performance but thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has set up something similar and learned anything important along the way. Thanks!

(also would this fit in a better thread? this seemed like the best out of the main IT threads)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Okay so this isn't as great as I thought. He was actually put on leave right in the middle of several critical projects. All of his work is being reassigned, nobody knows what the gently caress is going on with half this poo poo and we are probably gonna have to start over on most of it.
Apparently the whole thing was because he went to the doctor to get bloodwork done, the boss didn't see his out of office notification, and when we had an outage he was unreachable. There were like 4 other people in the office and he wasn't even on call. He came in, manager grabbed him and said "you can't be here" and he left with a really confused face. What in the actual gently caress?

The saga continues and it is loving beautiful...

Since this individual was placed on "some type of leave" our CIO realized that we don't have a proper protocol in place for resetting passwords on devices once an IT staff member leaves or is terminated.
So... he gave the responsibility to our poor network engineer who is already overloaded with several concurrent projects (that are all gonna get ripped out in a few weeks when we begin building renovations).

Our Network Engineer went dutifully about creating new passwords for everything.
He typed them all up in notepad, didn't save it, changed the passwords and went home for the weekend. His computer rebooted because patches were set to install over the weekend.
We have a password manager (like last pass) but apparently that didn't save his changes either somehow.
So... now we don't have a way to get into almost anything and it's loving hilarious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Since this individual was placed on "some type of leave" our CIO realized that we don't have a proper protocol in place for resetting passwords on devices once an IT staff member leaves or is terminated.
So... he gave the responsibility to our poor network engineer who is already overloaded with several concurrent projects (that are all gonna get ripped out in a few weeks when we begin building renovations).

Our Network Engineer went dutifully about creating new passwords for everything.
He typed them all up in notepad, didn't save it, changed the passwords and went home for the weekend. His computer rebooted because patches were set to install over the weekend.
We have a password manager (like last pass) but apparently that didn't save his changes either somehow.
So... now we don't have a way to get into almost anything and it's loving hilarious.

Did you just enter a Twilight Zone episode or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is actually one of the more hilarious things that I've ever heard.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

for your sake I hope this gets better.
For ours I hope it never does.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Man, I sure hope that engineer gets fired. Such incompetence...

loving notepad and not saving. At least use am editor that at least auto saves.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

There's something to be said though for an overworked guy to get a demand from his boss (that just fired somebody at the drop of a hat) to IMMEDIATELY change every password, with any breaches from the fired guy now being his responsibility.

I'd probably panic and make at least one stupid mistake in that scenario too. Maybe not as BIG of a mistake, but the chance is there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Secret Server does a neat thing where you can do an audit for a user and find out all the passwords they've accessed, and you can configure Secret Server to change those passwords for you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

LochNessMonster posted:

Imagine my surprise and delight when I discovered that notepad++ does this.

It has saved my rear end more than once.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I am way too reliant on Notepad++ just remembering stuff and continuing where you left off when it was last closed, even if you've not saved the file.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Super Slash posted:

I am way too reliant on Notepad++ just remembering stuff and continuing where you left off when it was last closed, even if you've not saved the file.
Same but Sublime Text, and it bit me in the rear end last week. I need to start using OneNote.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Well we aren't allowed to install notepad++ so there's that... (don't worry I installed it anyway and I'm waiting for the hammer to come down eventually)
We also aren't allowed to put passwords into anything like One Note because :smithcloud:

LochNessMonster posted:

To be fair to him, the intent was to never save those passwords because having passwords in plaintext is pretty horrible.
It's really the fault of our password manager for borking and not actually saving his changes.

Edit: actually it's probably the fault of the CIO for not having any sort of plan in place. To make things better he's passing off the creation of a procedural handbook to one of us because "I'm too busy. I can't do everything!" This includes the things he's supposed to be doing like creating policy and signing off on purchase orders apparently.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 28, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Glorious. Shame, but glorious all the more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Some Idiot posted:

One of our application owners got IT employee of the month for staying 4 extra hours one day to update some data in his app. This is the same guy that hung up the phone one time when asked to help out with his application being down. He just said "I have other plans tonight" and hung up. He pawns off most of his work to the vendor too. And today, he has not bothered to show up at all.
Funny.. I worked 12 hour days 3 months straight without a day off, I have stayed 24 hours recovering crashed systems, and regularly work Sundays for patching and maintenance. I gave up valentine's day with my wife to work an issue where the datacenter overheated in the middle of February because the chiller froze up. (Still paying for that one with the wife).
I actually got IT employee of the month one time. I fixed a 10K tape changer for under 5 bucks by replacing a broken plastic gear on the tape elevator.
Seems to me that management expects more out of the sysadmins than the app owners. What we do on a normal day would be extraordinary for any other department.
Frankly, I am insulted that he got that award, and my motivation and morale has gone into the toilet. I really should be working, but instead I am on here ignoring stuff. Maybe they will start to realize how much work I actually do everyday, if I start to not do it.

r/systadmin is a silly place. Heckle people like this at all cost. Your goal is the be the person who this post is hating on.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"I don't have any sense of work/life balance and am not rewarded for it"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

r/systadmin is a silly place. Heckle people like this at all cost. Your goal is the be the person who this post is hating on.

Poor kid really thinks he's going to get ahead by doing all that poo poo.

The higher I've gone in my career the less work I've actually done. *shrug*

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Poor kid really thinks he's going to get ahead by doing all that poo poo.

The higher I've gone in my career the less work I've actually done. *shrug*

:same: my boss continues to tell me I'm doing a great job and giving me more money but I spend my day browsing SA so :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

:same: my boss continues to tell me I'm doing a great job and giving me more money but I spend my day browsing SA so :shrug:

:ssh: Don't tell them our secret!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The secret is to make all of your achievements as visible as possible to management. I once had a company gift me a 3k vacation to Cancun because a fwsm split-brained in the middle of the night. I was at a bar down the street so I walked over and pulled one out and emailed basically the entire management chain that I took care of it. Easy sauce

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The secret is to tell management, gently caress you management, I'm not afraid of you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The secret is to tell management, gently caress you management, I'm not afraid of you.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!! I DO WHAT I--oh you are? oh

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're not my supervisor!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The secret is to become management and never work a day in your life again

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've pretty much been management since I started my career. But everybody's got a manager. Unless of course you own the place. There's that, I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kashuno posted:

On the flipside of that coin. I've learned a ton of poo poo here and not to mention that this thread in particular serves as a great filter for things that come down the pipe. I'm usually aware of crazy bullshit and what virus is wrecking who and which microsoft patch broke what at least hours if not DAYS before my boss, simply because I browse it.

Thanks guys.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

I've pretty much been management since I started my career. But everybody's got a manager. Unless of course you own the place. There's that, I guess.

Board members are the owners boss, unless you're bootstrapped. Then fear is your boss

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the flipside of that coin. I've learned a ton of poo poo here and not to mention that this thread in particular serves as a great filter for things that come down the pipe. I'm usually aware of crazy bullshit and what virus is wrecking who and which microsoft patch broke what at least hours if not DAYS before my boss, simply because I browse it.

Thanks guys.

this is definitely true. When I started in IT a couple years ago I was a mess, browsing and posting here was super helpful

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've read this thread daily for *checks reg date* 4 years

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

That checks out

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
What is the benefit for a random person hard-coding their laptop's DNS settings to query Google (8.8.8.8) as opposed to letting it configure itself automatically? I keep having to help students that can't acccess our internal resources while on the campus wifi because they're not using our DNS. I ask them if they put that there for a reason and they never remember doing it, and tell me it's okay to clear it out, which of course resolves the problem.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

What is the benefit for a random person hard-coding their laptop's DNS settings to query Google (8.8.8.8) as opposed to letting it configure itself automatically? I keep having to help students that can't acccess our internal resources while on the campus wifi because they're not using our DNS. I ask them if they put that there for a reason and they never remember doing it, and tell me it's okay to clear it out, which of course resolves the problem.

If their at home internet has lovely DNS servers, or if the DNS servers stopped working at some point, they might have manually plugged in google's then never changed it back.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's something to be said though for an overworked guy to get a demand from his boss (that just fired somebody at the drop of a hat) to IMMEDIATELY change every password, with any breaches from the fired guy now being his responsibility.

I'd probably panic and make at least one stupid mistake in that scenario too. Maybe not as BIG of a mistake, but the chance is there.

If people are too stressed too perform basic tasks like changing (all) passwords and storing the new passwords properly they shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

I guess everyone reacts differently but who in his/her right mind would change all passwords, put them in a notepad file and go home without saving them. That's borderline malicious intent / gross negligence.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well we aren't allowed to install notepad++ so there's that... (don't worry I installed it anyway and I'm waiting for the hammer to come down eventually)
We also aren't allowed to put passwords into anything like One Note because :smithcloud:

To be fair to him, the intent was to never save those passwords because having passwords in plaintext is pretty horrible.
It's really the fault of our password manager for borking and not actually saving his changes.

Edit: actually it's probably the fault of the CIO for not having any sort of plan in place. To make things better he's passing off the creation of a procedural handbook to one of us because "I'm too busy. I can't do everything!" This includes the things he's supposed to be doing like creating policy and signing off on purchase orders apparently.

There's things like notepad++ portable and keepass portable. Or hell, hardcopy and put it in sealed envelopes which you store in a physical safe.

Password manager breaking down sucks. I'm not sure what size your company is, but don't departments have their own procedures for stuff like this, or are at least allowed to create them (and/or ask for permission to set it up like that)? Guess there's a good incentive now to prioritize creating procedures for this situation now.

Humor me, about how many credentials are we talking?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

There's things like notepad++ portable and keepass portable. Or hell, hardcopy and put it in sealed envelopes which you store in a physical safe.

Password manager breaking down sucks. I'm not sure what size your company is, but don't departments have their own procedures for stuff like this, or are at least allowed to create them (and/or ask for permission to set it up like that)? Guess there's a good incentive now to prioritize creating procedures for this situation now.

Humor me, about how many credentials are we talking?

Another benefit of reading the SA forums. This triggered something in my mind: my password database is stored on the file server. If the file server goes down and I need to start getting in to network equipment, websites, and hardware to restore a new environment, where am i going to get the passwords from?

Queue me getting a physical copy of these passwords and storing them in a locked cabinet in the locked server room, thank you.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

lovely ISPs were redirecting DNS errors to their help/advertising pages (does comcast still do this?) so alternative DNS servers used to be really good. Using Google DNS has even helped me get Windows update running on workstations sometimes.