Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will Smith is known for having a team that goes over every script he does to make sure it is on brand for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whether an actor has input on a movie doesn't necessarily mean it is or isn't welcome, depending on the film. IIRC, the first Iron Man was described by Jeff Bridges as a student film with a blockbuster budget. Probably a difference between showing up one day with a new script vs an actor still wearing the silly rubber suit going over scenes with the director to see what works.

Of course, it's not necessarily a good thing even for the actor, since they're kinda doing two jobs at once there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

Will Smith is known for having a team that goes over every script he does to make sure it is on brand for him.
Were they on vacation when he agreed to be in Collateral Beauty?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Didn't they try to get Shane Black to punch up Predator after they cast him but when he said no they made a point to kill off his character quick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guyver posted:

Didn't they try to get Shane Black to punch up Predator after they cast him but when he said no they made a point to kill off his character quick.

I thought Black was cast in Predator because he really wanted to get into directing, so Silver had him cast in a throwaway role so he could spend time learning from McTiernan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

I thought Black was cast in Predator because he really wanted to get into directing, so Silver had him cast in a throwaway role so he could spend time learning from McTiernan.
That's the story I heard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

This is what multiple folks say on the DVD interviews and features. IIRC it was always a small role where the guy would get one or two lines and be the first to die.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I thought the studio put him in there to keep an eye on McTiernan.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

There's a lot of conflicting stories about Predator but I remember reading this too; Black being hired as an actor, then being asked "hey while you're at it can you do some writing too (we're not paying you extra for that btw)"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Schwarzenegger also famously brought in a guy to write a bunch of ice-themed oneliner puns when he was cast as Mr Freeze in Batman and Robin. They originally considered Ed Harris, Patrick Stewart and Anthony Hopkins for the role.

I dunno, I think Stewart or Hopkins could have really sold these lines. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Arnold must have been so much fun on the set of Batman & Robin :allears:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Half the appeal of those lines is the way they sound with Arnold's accent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lots of examples upthread of actors having control over their lines, so yeah, it's pretty likely that Reynolds (really the only reason the movie got made) has a pretty decent input into what his characters lines are like.

I wonder when McTiernan is going to get out of movie jail? He's been out of real jail for a while, and i'ts been nearly one and a half decades since Basic. I wanna see if he's got anything up his sleeve after all this time off. Predator > Die Hard > The Hunt For Red October is a streak that rivals anyone's.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Arnold must have been so much fun on the set of Batman & Robin :allears:

And he would have been the only fun thing on that set.

George Clooney could barely get a practical joke up. Alicia Silverstone was kind of feeling blah and the director was a moron.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought the studio put him in there to keep an eye on McTiernan.

... that doesn't make any sense, Black was still essentially a nobody at that point; Silver loved him because his Lethal Weapon script made Silver a fuckton of money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

He was allegedly a lot of fun after hours but he was probably miserable on the set. The Mr Freeze armor was apparently claustrophobic and made it hard for him to breathe, he was absolutely caked in thick makeup and during the closeups they put a tiny LED light in his mouth which apparently started leaking battery fumes if they left it in too long.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

George Clooney could barely get a practical joke up. Alicia Silverstone was kind of feeling blah and the director was a moron.

The thing is, as abysmal as the movie is both objectively and in the behind-the-scenes stories every single person involved tells, Arnold shines through all of that. The power of his awful puns compels me to enjoy the movie despite myself. If I met Clooney on the street I'd gladly take him up on his offer to give me back my money for the ticket for B&R, but I wouldn't take any money from Arnold.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Half the appeal of those lines is the way they sound with Arnold's accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7qEn9q2Rc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was allegedly a lot of fun after hours but he was probably miserable on the set. The Mr Freeze armor was apparently claustrophobic and made it hard for him to breathe, he was absolutely caked in thick makeup and during the closeups they put a tiny LED light in his mouth which apparently started leaking battery fumes if they left it in too long.

I remember seeing a feature/whatever where him and Clooney were talking about how there was zero choreography or direction for how their closeup fights and physical struggles should go because the suits were so ridiculously restrictive and hard to move in, so it's a lot of edited together blind flailing.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

well why not posted:

I wonder when McTiernan is going to get out of movie jail? He's been out of real jail for a while, and i'ts been nearly one and a half decades since Basic. I wanna see if he's got anything up his sleeve after all this time off. Predator > Die Hard > The Hunt For Red October is a streak that rivals anyone's.

I don't think anyone who could make Rollerball's remake could ever make another great film. I'm pretty sure he could make something decent, but whatever magic he had is gone.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

well why not posted:

Predator > Die Hard > The Hunt For Red October is a streak that rivals anyone's.

I like all three, but eh, not really.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a pretty good oral history of Predator:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/predator-oral-history-arnold-schwarzenegger-film-1014132

Goes into what Shane Black was up to iirc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I like all three, but eh, not really.

Yeah, James Cameron, Spielberg, Tarantino and probably a half dozen more directors I'm forgetting have a much more impressive hat trick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I totally believe James Cameron has a crystal that can peek into the future. There's no real explanation for how he consistently makes these gigantic hits.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think he's just that good at picking up on the world around him and condensing themes into something that can be easily digestible to a mass audience via entertaining movies. That and he's got a flair for detail and is anal+rear end in a top hat enough to get good performances out of everyone and thing involved for his movies. He has vision.

When you get into the headspace of the Terminator in 1 and 2 and see from his POV the sound shifts versus if you watch T3 when in the headspace of the TX the sound is as if nothing changed and it could be any regular shot scene.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I totally believe James Cameron has a crystal that can peek into the future. There's no real explanation for how he consistently makes these gigantic hits.

He sold his soul to the devil for that power, and his deep-sea submersible research was all so he could descend into the depths of Hell and take it back personally.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Cameron can see into the future (I hope that's not true because it makes the Terminator movies terrifying) but he's also really good at putting together hugely entertaining action scenes. T2 has at least two entirely separate car chase sequences that, if either had existed in other, lesser films, would totally justify watching those crappier movies just for the chase.

But as far as looking into the future T2 scratched the superhero action itch way back then. Having these two characters who can be impossibly violent and rough with each other is pretty ho-hum now but in '92 he gets way more credit for building an action movie around two nearly indestructible characters.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lobok posted:

But as far as looking into the future T2 scratched the superhero action itch way back then. Having these two characters who can be impossibly violent and rough with each other is pretty ho-hum now but in '92 he gets way more credit for building an action movie around two nearly indestructible characters.

You shiver just thinking about the visual storytelling and attention to detail that goes into the amount of damage the T-800 character in T2 takes. Riddled with bullets, flesh scoured from much of the chassis, left arm crushed and ripped off, left knee exposed, chest crushed repeatedly. Impaled through the chest and running off of backup power, it crawls and limps to the finish line ... and then begs the humans to destroy it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't think anyone who could make Rollerball's remake could ever make another great film. I'm pretty sure he could make something decent, but whatever magic he had is gone.

Talking about a massive disappointment. The director of some two action movies and Last Action Hero, a great concept with a very good first movie as source material, some cool actors, and what I remember of it is an incoherent, boring mess. I feel tempted to revisit it because I can't quite believe it's really as bad as I thought it was the first time I saw it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE”" post="“475815892”"]
You shiver just thinking about the visual storytelling and attention to detail that goes into the amount of damage the T-800 character in T2 takes. Riddled with bullets, flesh scoured from much of the chassis, left arm crushed and ripped off, left knee exposed, chest crushed repeatedly. Impaled through the chest and running off of backup power, it crawls and limps to the finish line ... and then begs the humans to destroy it.
[/quote]

It’s one of the great feats in cinema, to be honest - to take the unstoppable avatar of death from your first movie, and not only make that avatar vulnerable and human, but to turn him into a complete underdog without ever removing the same aspects that made him the unstoppable avatar of death the first time around. He manages to reconstruct one of the great movie baddies and gives him an arc that is reminiscent of Indiana Jones and John McClane, where he always fights from under and where you believe every big chunk of damage he takes could be the one that puts him down for good. It even plays off of your expectations, right there, at the end, when the T-1000 jams the pole through his chest - after all, Terminator 1 ended with Kyle Reese, our thought-to-be hero, dead several minutes before the end.

And all of this was done in under 365 days, from pitch to premiere!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To me, the most impressive Cameron film remains The Abyss. Besides the absolutely phenomenal work it took to make that movie in the first place, it's a really good story in general. Sure he was pretty transparently going for his own personal Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but that's no bad model to have and setting the whole thing underwater was an impressive step.

Undersea settings don't get used as much as I wish they would. I understand why - underwater stuff is expensive and difficult whether you're doing it in CGI or with practical effects - but Cameron makes terrific use of the dark, alien deep ocean. An alien world right here on Earth.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Really? That's insane.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, not from pitch to premiere entirely - first drafts of the script were written in May, but the script didn’t get to crew until the middle of July 1990 and production proper didn’t start till October and wrapped up in March. They only had four months of post, since the movie opened Independence Day weekend of ‘91. They also only had six weeks to go from “this is an idea” to “this is what we’re shooting, no changes from this point on”.

But they have made a big deal about Cameron successfully pulling off a massively accelerated schedule on special features through the years, and they tend to “print the legend” on it and pretend just about everything was done between July 1990 and July 1991 (although really picture would have to have been locked sometime in early June to strike and ship the prints for a massive domestic release).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

:stare:

Did he give ILM a blank check and say, "I don't care how many hours and people it takes, just get it done?"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Timby posted:

:stare:

Did he give ILM a blank check and say, "I don't care how many hours and people it takes, just get it done?"

Given his background, I'd be surprised if the fx shot breakdown and budget wasn't part of the script.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's a breakdown from Wiki.

May 10, 1990 - first draft of screenplay
July 15, 1990 - scripts distributed to cast & crew
October 9, 1990 - principal photography begins
March 28, 1991 - principal photography wraps (171 days)
July 3, 1991 - release

I suppose post-production has changed quite a bit since then.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Cameo posted:

It’s one of the great feats in cinema, to be honest - to take the unstoppable avatar of death from your first movie, and not only make that avatar vulnerable and human, but to turn him into a complete underdog without ever removing the same aspects that made him the unstoppable avatar of death the first time around. He manages to reconstruct one of the great movie baddies and gives him an arc that is reminiscent of Indiana Jones and John McClane, where he always fights from under and where you believe every big chunk of damage he takes could be the one that puts him down for good. It even plays off of your expectations, right there, at the end, when the T-1000 jams the pole through his chest - after all, Terminator 1 ended with Kyle Reese, our thought-to-be hero, dead several minutes before the end.

Just that scene at the abandoned gas station after the breakout, where John Connor holds up the T-800's leather jacket at the window, the sunlight spilling in through the bullet holes. I really can't think of a single scene in any modern superhero movie that matches the artistry in that little moment.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Last weekend's box office was the worst in 15 years, and the Mayweather vs McGregor fight finished 8th for the weekend, despite being a one-time event. Next weekend might even be worse with no major releases even though it is a holiday weekend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Last weekend's box office was the worst in 15 years, and the Mayweather vs McGregor fight finished 8th for the weekend, despite being a one-time event. Next weekend might even be worse with no major releases even though it is a holiday weekend.
Hell of a time for me to resubscribe to MoviePass :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hell of a time for me to resubscribe to MoviePass :haw:
Also because it sounds like AMC may start refusing to let MoviePass people in

• Locked thread