Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Basically it was the only way I could fit it into my schedule and still graduate on time. My academic advisor wrote a memo to my certifying official and all was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Well you lucked out man. I wanted to do that so bad I almost majored in international politics.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Started grad program. Feeling pretty out of place. Not lonely but most of my department is FOB chinese or indian (engineering/CS) and i'm surrounded by people who are basically a decade younger than me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Howard Phillips posted:

Started grad program. Feeling pretty out of place. Not lonely but most of my department is FOB chinese or indian (engineering/CS) and i'm surrounded by people who are basically a decade younger than me.

MBA/MSA here at 35 years old. Definitely one of the oldest people here but not too many foreign students. Luckily everyone is extremely nice so far.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

nwiniwn posted:

MBA/MSA here at 35 years old. Definitely one of the oldest people here but not too many foreign students. Luckily everyone is extremely nice so far.

I'm supposed to take a profile pic for the program and haven't had a haircut or shaved for the last 5 months due to being at sea so I'm going to have the old man hobo look going for me.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're doing an MBA that's not a strong start. Go find a barber, Jesus.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Do they drown on long beards?

Edit:frown

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

You can have a long beard without looking homeless. It just takes a little effort and beard balm and not letting the neck hair go lower than the actual beard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

You can have a long beard without looking homeless. It just takes a little effort and beard balm and not letting the neck hair go lower than the actual beard.

Yeah I have a monstrous beard now, but it's well kept and looks good. Also trim the god drat hairs hanging over your lips into your mouth gently caress.

It took a few trims to get the chin hairs in line with the rest, and I still shape it up once a week or so because it's so god damned bushy, but it's really easy to have a nice big beard (if you can grow one).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Once I get to the detailed maintenance stage I usually lose my patience and end up shaving it off after a week or two.

I've been shaving every few days for the last few weeks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you're doing an MBA that's not a strong start. Go find a barber, Jesus.

I'm on a train back to the west coast and have to move all my poo poo out of a storage container first since my roommate gave up our place while I was gone.

It's not my fault they let me in, they're just going to have to deal with it!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I usually just let the beard grow more or less on its own for two or three weeks, then reign it back in.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I have a monstrous beard now, but it's well kept and looks good. Also trim the god drat hairs hanging over your lips into your mouth gently caress.

It took a few trims to get the chin hairs in line with the rest, and I still shape it up once a week or so because it's so god damned bushy, but it's really easy to have a nice big beard (if you can grow one).

The first part is actually a question. Like if you wanted to play with your mustache and be all twirl it with wax, can you still do it? Cause I need to trim these.

I also trim the neckline because that poo poo makes it look crazy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
If you don't trim the mouth hairs, grooming is required if you don't want to spend every meal eating your beard. The neck is required when starting out but once your beard is long enough you can just stick to cleaning it up on special occasions. Outside of that you should let everyone enjoy the evidence of your virility and manliness and power.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. Had a classmate tell me I made him hate being Asian. Dude could barely grow a chin tuft.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

The first part is actually a question. Like if you wanted to play with your mustache and be all twirl it with wax, can you still do it? Cause I need to trim these.

I also trim the neckline because that poo poo makes it look crazy.

I could grow the ends of the stache out to twirl or whatever but 1. i'm not that big of a tool and 2. i keep the hairs on the side of my mouth trimmed too because they will get in my mouth when eating otherwise.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I could grow the ends of the stache out to twirl or whatever but 1. i'm not that big of a tool and 2. i keep the hairs on the side of my mouth trimmed too because they will get in my mouth when eating otherwise.

I don't twirl because I just look like a fat weird gently caress and did it for my drivers license photo.

Most times I go for the whole long goatee look, but the other I try to keep my mustache like down towards my lip and then out to the sides. Not like Waluigi because I saw someone do that and it looked retarded.

More than likely gonna trim them now though because nothing sucks worse than taking a bite and feeling a pinch.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Creepy student facial hair salon

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Still waiting on my book stipend and my first class starts in 15 minutes. Called them to ask what's up and all I could get from them was that it hasnt processed yet, it usually takes about 14 business days and "maybe you can buy your books from a different source and then reimburse yourself when the money arrives."

I don't even know what this means. Thanks, VA.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I haven't gotten mine either, but VA reimbursement is dependant on the school submission.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

~*~ Eat all the dicks, VA ~*~

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I've stopped wondering when the VA/my school will get their poo poo together, and now I just make sure I save up a bunch of money to tide me over for the first month or two of the semester while I wait for payments to kick in. It happens like this every time, so I just deal.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I've stopped wondering when the VA/my school will get their poo poo together, and now I just make sure I save up a bunch of money to tide me over for the first month or two of the semester while I wait for payments to kick in. It happens like this every time, so I just deal.

Yeah, I can afford to buy my books now. It's having the VA tell me "PC load letter" that's throwing me off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

Still waiting on my book stipend and my first class starts in 15 minutes. Called them to ask what's up and all I could get from them was that it hasnt processed yet, it usually takes about 14 business days and "maybe you can buy your books from a different source and then reimburse yourself when the money arrives."

I don't even know what this means. Thanks, VA.

Use a credit card.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

Use a credit card.

No.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I was on hold for 45 mins tonight, but the VA person was super helpful. Typed some stuff in, waited 5 minutes, then was like, "you should see it update in ebenifits in 2 days."

I now get paid to take classes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I was on hold for 45 mins tonight, but the VA person was super helpful. Typed some stuff in, waited 5 minutes, then was like, "you should see it update in ebenifits in 2 days."

I now get paid to take classes.

The feeling doesn't get old by the way. The one you get when you remember you get paid to go to college.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It does after you graduate. Then you're like, "gently caress. They PAID me to go to college!" And then you feel sad.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

It does after you graduate. Then you're like, "gently caress. They PAID me to go to college!" And then you feel sad.

What's there to feel sad about? I got paid to go to college, now I'm employed getting paid even more.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

And I was just called "sir" by an undergrad.

gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Book stipend was deposited this morning. Classes start on the 6th, so I shouldn't experience any delays with my BAH. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My experience with the GI Bill is that the VA is nearly always a travesty at the start of the semester, but assuming your school hasn't hosed it up, they catch up. Eventually.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I had zero issues as an undergrad through this college, so I'm hoping they can keep their poo poo together for grad school.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

My experience with the GI Bill is that the VA is nearly always a travesty at the start of the semester, but assuming your school hasn't hosed it up, they catch up. Eventually.

Can confirm. Went two months without pay because I forgot to tell the certifying official I was attending that semester. To be fair, I didn't know.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
VA is great as long as you do your part and your schools certifying official isn't retarded imo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Classes started for me on the 28th, but because there are 31 days in August I'm only getting three days of housing allowance.

In a non-VA note, there's a table across from me in the student center where they're selling free trade poo poo. Should I go over there and tell them that free trade goods are inferior because people don't work as diligently as when someone with an AK is standing over their shoulder?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You should instead say you prefer the products of child labor because their tiny hands are more nimble and better able to make clothes

e: phone autocorrect

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

While you're at it, remind them that "organic" foods are nonsense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this semester is fuckkkkin crazy but great

got invited to participate on a small research team for internship credit. we are going to research the best way for a local company here to consolidate their debt and at the end of the semester we are going to present our findings to them.

got invited to go with a small group to vancouver for four days to participate in an event hosted by a major global economics organization that fights worldwide poverty. and this trip is only costing me $50.

it hit me a couple nights ago that this is my last year and i'll have a degree in nine months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Good luck man. My semester starts next week. I'm pumped.