Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

loving lmbo at that article and all you chumps talking poo poo about valve being scummy. they are the reason there are still pc games, and even console players can thank them for getting games on sale regularly

how quickly you forget the old days

they lost all good will by doing that green light poo poo and opening up the flood gates of anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

loving lmbo at that article and all you chumps talking poo poo about valve being scummy. they are the reason there are still pc games, and even console players can thank them for getting games on sale regularly

Personally, I'm not mad that Valve isn't really making games anymore. I'm just disappointed. But who knows? Maybe V.R. takes off and we'll look back on these last few years as Valve transitioning to a new phase of game creation.

I'm really tempted to get a Vive, but I know my wife will expect me to share it with the kids. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Everybody's Golf preload started for me while I was at work. P stoked for some ball whacking right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capTpivF8n0

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Portal in VR would be challenging.

And also nauseating.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Valve is cool for what Valve is doing.
Gaming is free time to waste, and if people enjoy playing hat simulators or PUBG matches on it, good for them.
I

Oh wait, I just remembered another gaming client. The dudes who published Sins of a Solar Empire & make the Galactic Civilization series of games also had a online gaming client.
It was originally called drengin.net (with offline mode, gamesave backups, and torrent-style game downloading), then drengin.net got renamed & relaunched as Impulse with everything unique about it removed, then Gamestop,(i think,) bought the entire thing just before EA launched Origin as their service.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

I don't see how that precludes Valve from employing scummy and shady business tactics. Just because they saved :pcgaming: doesn't give them a license to gently caress over people.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good and bad are not mutually exclusive.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What's the tldr on why steam is bad? I honestly don't know.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nerd reasons

i stopped caring. whoever gives me steam codes cheapest gets my sale

being able to install games with a click and not having physical media owns

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

not caring here posted:

What's the tldr on why steam is bad? I honestly don't know.

Greenlight anime pedophilia simulators.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

I don't see how that precludes Valve from employing scummy and shady business tactics. Just because they saved :pcgaming: doesn't give them a license to gently caress over people.

who have they hosed over?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

Greenlight anime pedophilia simulators.

I googled that exact phrase, and this came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHNs6mkG7I

Uh...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think we all agree that Greenlight is 98% trash

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

who have they hosed over?

Did you read the article? They had to be dragged kicked and screaming through the courts just to get them to operate within the boundaries of Australian laws, drew up an entirely new EULA just for EU customers in order to prevent them from exercising their legal right to refunds, and also slashed the amount of money modders see from their cosmetics items in DOTA 2 while the game's revenue keeps growing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i read some of that opinion piece when it came out months ago, but stopped because of his overuse of the phrase "good guy valve" and its stupid length

some things valve does is lovely, but they have been a net positive for video games

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The valve complaining seems to have hit this thread after the half life 3 or 2.5 or whatever the gently caress plot got leaked a few days ago.

I think that explains the angst.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The valve complaining seems to have hit this thread after the half life 3 or 2.5 or whatever the gently caress plot got leaked a few days ago.

None of this is really new. Valve's support system has up until very recently been a completely embarrassing shitshow for such a rich company. They need some bad press every once in a while to get around to improving their service, I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao gently caress companies and their scummy practices

-sent from my iPhone

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I'd like to be all :smug:, and say that wasn't the case for me but... alas :smith:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I just want half life 3.

:smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I just want half life 3.

:smith:

At this point, I view Half-Life as abandonware, because Valve seems to view it that way :smith:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
WHERE THE gently caress IS HALF-LIFE 3, GABEN

e: I am actually mad about this.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 28, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why do you care about hl3? the actual story and characters of the halflife universe arent in any way noteworthy

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
gently caress you I loved the half life series don't you judge me you unrepentant slut

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve playing coy the entire time hasn't exactly helped the issue

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

gently caress you I loved the half life series don't you judge me you unrepentant slut

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God drat, Destiny 2 plays incredibly well on PC. And smoothly, too, even on my XPS 15 with only a 1050.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

God drat, Destiny 2 plays incredibly well on PC. And smoothly, too, even on my XPS 15 with only a 1050.

Can you port characters across from console?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Weren't you guys talking about Everybody's Golf a few days ago?

I suddenly went from having zero interest in it to really wanting to play it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Weren't you guys talking about Everybody's Golf a few days ago?

I suddenly went from having zero interest in it to really wanting to play it.

I put in like 8 hours of it last night, it's pretty loving addicting because you can do 9 holes in like 20-25 mins. I got from level 1 to level 8 last night and am working through the second set of versus bosses. It's pretty good.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

orange juche posted:

I put in like 8 hours of it last night, it's pretty loving addicting because you can do 9 holes in like 20-25 mins. I got from level 1 to level 8 last night and am working through the second set of versus bosses. It's pretty good.

Wait, bosses? Isn't this just a golf game?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pkells posted:

Wait, bosses? Isn't this just a golf game?

its better

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Half Life 2 was the first time I got scared of heights in a computer game...I'll give it credit for that.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Half Life 2 was the first time I got scared of heights in a computer game...I'll give it credit for that.

That level got me good, too. Man, those games had some baller set pieces. All this HL2 talk is also a good excuse to post the best G-Man scene in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyCY9srJGw

sigh :smith:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just want to use that gravity gun

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just want to know who the gently caress G-Man is and who he works for. Valve can write a paragraph summary and I'd be happy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I just want to know who the gently caress G-Man is and who he works for. Valve can write a paragraph summary and I'd be happy.

The g man is you

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

tastefully arranged labia posted:

he is... FUTURE GORDON

But seriously, I don't really want to know too much about the G-Man (looks like I got my wish hehhhh). His mysterious nature is the whole reason he owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Doees valve even have the talent in the company to actually make video games? They created source 2 but the only video game that uses it is dota. Part of what made HL and HL 2 so good was their engine and the other video games that engine spawned. It would be funny if unreal launched their own digital distribution and required games that use their engine to be distributed through them digitally.