Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

This is actually an intentional design decision. It’s meant to allow you to go back and add additional quotes to a post that you’re in the middle of writing. This comes up a lot though, so it’s obviously a design that needs to be rethought.

I've accidentally edited someones post I was quoting because of this. So now their post contained a quote of said post followed by "lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

This is actually an intentional design decision. It’s meant to allow you to go back and add additional quotes to a post that you’re in the middle of writing. This comes up a lot though, so it’s obviously a design that needs to be rethought.

The way I do it in the Windows app was to handle the "previous posts" in the reply view, which shows the posts in reverse order. So you click on the "previous " button, get a modal to see those posts, and can quote them from there.

Bit more similar to how the forums handle it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You could also potentially handle the way quotes look in the reply window differently, almost as if they're their own objects you can reply to and edit.

However all of this sounds like overly complicated 'fixes' when it's just a feature that has a baby-sized learning curve.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Diabolik900 posted:

After having it explained that it's a "multi quote" feature I do get it, but having a button that behaves two different ways depending on what you're doing without distinguishing that it's now in multi quote mode is a usability problem. A dedicated multi-quote button (as seen in many web based forums) would be a better implementation.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

People only bring things up that they feel doesn't work. I'm sure a LOT of people get use out of it (myself included), they just don't feel it necessary to come into the thread and talk about something that is working as intended.

You may not be suggesting complete removal, but I just wanna say please don't remove it.

Yeah, to be clear I’m definitely not suggesting removing the feature. I’m just saying there’s gotta be a better way to implement it that doesn’t cause gently caress up people’s posts in this situation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

An idea that we had pop up ages ago that I liked was replies/edits acting like composing mail, where you could swipe it down to dock it to the bottom of the screen, and then allow the user to add quotes that way. Destroying their input if they dismiss that pane altogether.

Also titling can be better by appending "Replying:" or "Editing post in:" depending on which action you're taking.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Krazyface posted:

I'm also getting the bug with the blank spaces all over the page (with a crash soon after). It's happening two or three times a week now. Using an iPhone 5c.

Will +1.

Krazyface posted:

In less critical news, there's some weird stuff going on with load times. For a long time, the Steam thread would take AGES to load, for just a normal page of text, even when my phone was on the home wifi. This happened when navigating between posts/pages in that thread as well. They recently closed it and started a new one, and now the C-SPAM Trump thread takes forever to load (where previously it took a little longer than usual). As far as I can tell, the longest thread in my bookmarks gets an extra-long load time, for some reason.

Regular Nintendo posted:

I've seen this as well, the throbber will stop and I get the impression it's struggling to parse the response or a core data write is taking forever or something

That's curious, I'll have to try to figure out what's going on here. I don't think I've ever run the scraping or core data-ing through a profiler so I have no idea what takes awhile, what goes quick, and there's probably some low-hanging fruit.

EmmyOk posted:

I can take a look at the images myself if you like! What size do you need them to be? Speaking of the filter though in every section it seems to be faulty currently? I click "filter by tag" and I only have the option for none. On iPhone SE

https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags#readme is where the tags hang out, there's some info there. tl;dr is 90px square, will be shown at 45pt on-device (so @2x images) if that means anything. If you wanna do the GitHub thing by all means open up a pull request there, otherwise just post 'em here and someone will make it happen.

Is the filter blank in the reports forum or other forums too? I've never seen the reports forum so it's possible that it implements a mechanism superficially similar to thread tags but is somehow different in the markup. If it's other forums too, I think I've heard others say the same thing so I can +1 that issue.

Keith Atherton posted:

Here's something that's been happening to me constantly. I'll open GBS or PYF and the thread will auto refresh. But a force pull down refresh will change the threads displayed and the number of threads displayed. Note the scroll bar indicator size.

Auto refresh:

After manual refresh:

It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to have to manually refresh all the time.

Current iOS version, current app version, iPhone 6

Is there any chance the auto-refresh is failing? We don't show an alert when auto-refresh fails because, well, you didn't ask for the refresh so you probably didn't ask for an alert. So I'm not really sure how you might tell whether the auto-refresh fails. It's ok to say "I have no clue fix this dumb app" and I'll have a look :)

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Makes sense --I read the forums on a VERY old iPad (so take it for what it's worth) but even then, I notice unbelievably slow load times on longer 1k+pg threads compared to skimpy little 1-5pg GBS shitpost threads. Posting now from safari, in fact. Any way to solve or mitigate this, or is it an SA-side issue? First problem i remember ever having w/the app and I'm still really happy I downloaded it years ago, but it makes certain threads unreadable.

Turn off images and avatars in the app, turn off embeds in your User Control Panel? If it's memory pressure then those might help. Otherwise the only answer I have is we need to make the app work more good.

TinTower posted:

There’s a weird inconsistency with line spacing on iOS 11. Quitting the app from multitasking clears the problem up.

Normal:

With bug.

Probably gonna wait until GM to fix up iOS 11 stuff, but I'll definitely make a note and poke around.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Trying to make a thread but the app wouldn't let me scroll down past a certain point to see what I was typing in portrait or landscape.

Does it matter if the keyboard is visible or not? iPhone or iPad?

Chris Knight posted:

Possible bug? iOS 10.3.3, Awful 3.26, iPhone 7. Can't expand any of the sub-forums on the main forum list. Instant crash, even after clearing cache.

Oldie but a goodie! I'll +1 it.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

can someone fix this quote issue i’m having on ios 11 beta 6 tyvm

I tried to do a thing and it doesn't work very well, I think I'll just turn smart quotes off. You can turn it off in iOS settings if you like, in the meantime.

GutBomb posted:

Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

TL;DR: I guess in this case quote=edit.

Oh yeah, I'm on the latest beta of awful on whatever the latest version of iOS 10 is on an iPhone 7 plus.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also experiencing this, running awful beta and ios 11 though.

Another oldie but a goodie! We gotta fix this up.

The Dave posted:

An idea that we had pop up ages ago that I liked was replies/edits acting like composing mail, where you could swipe it down to dock it to the bottom of the screen, and then allow the user to add quotes that way. Destroying their input if they dismiss that pane altogether.

Also titling can be better by appending "Replying:" or "Editing post in:" depending on which action you're taking.

I still like the Mail.app swipe down thing but putting something in the title is the world's easiest quick fix, that's a great idea. Can figure out something fancier later.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Trying to make a thread but the app wouldn't let me scroll down past a certain point to see what I was typing in portrait or landscape.

pokeyman posted:

Does it matter if the keyboard is visible or not? iPhone or iPad?

I found some steps to reproduce a bug that may be this bug, or may be distinct. If you begin making a post in a thread that includes at least 3 paragraphs (e.g. the body of your post is the string "1\n2\n3"), preview it, and then return to the compose view, your new post is now vulnerable to iterative layout destruction. Start to swipe from the right edge inwards, as if to go to your post's preview, but release partway through so you stay on the compose view; the text of your reply will now abruptly and permanently drop by roughly a line below where it should be. This effect can stack such that the usable text area hides below the keyboard and you can no longer see what you're typing.

Even activating this once or twice and then typing more than a single screenful will prevent you from seeing or easily editing the last line or two of your post. (If this is the same bug that you saw, fruit on the bottom, then I'd guess this is how you experienced it.)

This bugged state persists until you entirely destroy the post by returning to a thread list view and tapping on a thread. If you've pushed your post's top border below the keyboard, you can't even copy the text + BBCode markup you'd been working on, since the "Select | Select All | [etc]" bubble stays behind the keyboard or possibly even below the physical edge of the screen. If you've inadvertently gotten to this bad state, I think the best you can do to preserve your post is preview it and select all + copy the rendered post's text (sans markup... or :justpost: if that suits your fancy I guess! Then you can probably edit it if necessary.)

I don't think the "swipe right edge to review your post preview" functionality actually has much use anyway, since it doesn't update the rendered post to include any changes made since you last hit the "Preview" button.

Regarding (multi)quoting vs editing, I think the underlying model is a bit broken. It sounds like the first action that scrapes either "newreply.php" or "editpost.php" within the active thread instance sets a hidden state of either "Reply" or "Edit post #[some postid]" for the rest of this active thread instance's lifetime. And the only ways I know of to change thread instances are: tap a quote to go to another post (creates a new thread instance within the thread instance stack, so you can start a new reply to the thread even you'd previously been editing a post); return to a thread listing and tap on a possibly-new thread; or finish your post/edit and submit it while praying it doesn't suck. None of those actions are obviously linked to resetting/clearing the "reply-vs-edit" state.

I do find multiquoting useful in the app, so +1 to keeping the multiquoting functionality, but a big +1 to reworking the quote-vs-edit divide so it's obvious which one is happening and so you can explicitly delete a current edit when you want to instead begin a new reply with a quote. Maybe long-pressing on the square-with-pencil reply icon could pop up a small menu of "Start entirely new post" and either "Resuming current post" or "Resume editing post" (though this could be more discoverable), and putting the "reply-vs-edit" state explicitly in the composing view's title. Or a "delete current composition" button elsewhere. Or something entirely different, as long as it's coherent and discoverable!

Also speaking of the thread instance stack, I've seen an odd piece of behavior. Say you open thread A in your bookmarks, tap a link to thread B from within A, and then tap a link to thread C from B; only thread A is in your bookmarks. Your thread stack is now [Bookmarks, A, B, C], so you can swipe the edges of the screen to navigate up and down this stack. However if you press-and-hold on the < back arrow from thread C, you go all the way back to your Bookmarks (fine) but the stack also gets collapsed to [Bookmarks, C] (less fine), so you can swipe the edge of the screen between Bookmarks and C, but threads A and B are forgotten. Is this intentional behavior? Or is it some kind of strange default with webviews and long-pressing on a "back" button?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Any chance of adding the link to posts by this user from the profile

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
Love the app, but I'm running into two issues on the regular. Attempting to expand a forum in the sidebar to see its subforums crashes the app, or at least resets the app to its most recent opening state; I get kicked back to whatever thread was open when I started the app if it doesn't just close out. I'm also getting the blank filter list issue in any forum I visit. Clearing the cache/logging out doesn't appear to have an effect. iOS 10.3.3 (14G60) on an iPad Pro 10.5.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Seeing this glitch again. After opening the app from the background, bookmarks (or forums) tab tries to refresh and gets stuck like this with blank space after the first few entries. In this state, clicking any thread seems to result in visiting a different thread from that view. When it happens in the forums tab I can fix it with a pull-down refresh in the main forum listing. To fix it in bookmarks I've gotta quit and reload the app. I've actually seen this glitch in forums for ages but it's recently started happening in bookmarks too now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seem to get a random crash when loading a new page several times a day.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i just sent a pm and the keyboard covers half the body in the pm screen with no way to scroll to see the lower half.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

baram. posted:

i just sent a pm and the keyboard covers half the body in the pm screen with no way to scroll to see the lower half.

same

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This is while you're writing the PM? Or the keyboard sticks around after it's sent?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

This is while you're writing the PM? Or the keyboard sticks around after it's sent?

It's when you're writing it. Basically it gets to the point that you have no idea what you're typing anymore.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Over There posted:

It's when you're writing it. Basically it gets to the point that you have no idea what you're typing anymore.

Are you using the split keyboard on an ipad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Over There posted:

Okay yeah, I think we have that on the list. I'll go find it and bump it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Regular Nintendo posted:

Are you using the split keyboard on an ipad

nah just an iphone 7

I was looking at the thread because I was curious about the ios 11 quotation issue, but I'm sure you guys are already plenty aware of it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Over There posted:

nah just an iphone 7

I was looking at the thread because I was curious about the ios 11 quotation issue, but I'm sure you guys are already plenty aware of it.

go to your keyboard settings and disable smart punctuation. it's new as of ios 11 i believe.

Over There posted:

yeah this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pokeyman set it up so with the next release, smart punctuation is entirely off within the app.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Bug report: if you have both yospos and other threads bookmarked, then if (from your bookmarks) you open a non-yospos thread followed by opening a yospos thread, the sliding "Parent Forum | Previous Posts | Scroll to End" top bar in the yospos thread will be dark blue like in the non-yospos threads instead of the correct bright amber color.

This issue does not show up if opening a thread directly from the yospos forum itself; if you do activate it, it can be temporarily fixed by switching from the AmberPOS theme to something else and back, but I believe it comes right back if you perform the above steps again.

iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3, Awful v3.26

Possibly also important: I use the Dark theme for Awful app generally. I haven't checked if this still occurs in the (default?) light theme.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

Pokeyman set it up so with the next release, smart punctuation is entirely off within the app.

Oooh awesome!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

lots of good stuff

This is very helpful overall, thanks! Some more direct responses below.

quote:

Regarding (multi)quoting vs editing, I think the underlying model is a bit broken. It sounds like the first action that scrapes either "newreply.php" or "editpost.php" within the active thread instance sets a hidden state of either "Reply" or "Edit post #[some postid]" for the rest of this active thread instance's lifetime. And the only ways I know of to change thread instances are: tap a quote to go to another post (creates a new thread instance within the thread instance stack, so you can start a new reply to the thread even you'd previously been editing a post); return to a thread listing and tap on a possibly-new thread; or finish your post/edit and submit it while praying it doesn't suck. None of those actions are obviously linked to resetting/clearing the "reply-vs-edit" state.

I do find multiquoting useful in the app, so +1 to keeping the multiquoting functionality, but a big +1 to reworking the quote-vs-edit divide so it's obvious which one is happening and so you can explicitly delete a current edit when you want to instead begin a new reply with a quote. Maybe long-pressing on the square-with-pencil reply icon could pop up a small menu of "Start entirely new post" and either "Resuming current post" or "Resume editing post" (though this could be more discoverable), and putting the "reply-vs-edit" state explicitly in the composing view's title. Or a "delete current composition" button elsewhere. Or something entirely different, as long as it's coherent and discoverable!

You're bang on the money about the hidden state at work here. Exposing that state and making it useful to act on is very much the challenge. I'm partly heartened that you reverse engineered what's going on just by observation (because that means it's not completely impenetrable), but it's obviously disappointing that it takes so much effort to develop the mental model to use the feature.

quote:

Also speaking of the thread instance stack, I've seen an odd piece of behavior. Say you open thread A in your bookmarks, tap a link to thread B from within A, and then tap a link to thread C from B; only thread A is in your bookmarks. Your thread stack is now [Bookmarks, A, B, C], so you can swipe the edges of the screen to navigate up and down this stack. However if you press-and-hold on the < back arrow from thread C, you go all the way back to your Bookmarks (fine) but the stack also gets collapsed to [Bookmarks, C] (less fine), so you can swipe the edge of the screen between Bookmarks and C, but threads A and B are forgotten. Is this intentional behavior? Or is it some kind of strange default with webviews and long-pressing on a "back" button?

Sounds like a strange interaction between the "swipe from right edge to re-pop a screen on to a navigation stack" custom thing we do and the "long-press the back button to pop everything" other custom thing we do. Definitely a bug.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Any chance of adding the link to posts by this user from the profile

Yep, just don't try to pin me down to a deadline! ;)

drawbot posted:

Love the app, but I'm running into two issues on the regular. Attempting to expand a forum in the sidebar to see its subforums crashes the app, or at least resets the app to its most recent opening state; I get kicked back to whatever thread was open when I started the app if it doesn't just close out. I'm also getting the blank filter list issue in any forum I visit. Clearing the cache/logging out doesn't appear to have an effect. iOS 10.3.3 (14G60) on an iPad Pro 10.5.

Sorry about that. I'll +1 both these issues on the ol' todo list. A delete/reinstall might help for now (lovely workaround, I know).

Fedule posted:

Seeing this glitch again. After opening the app from the background, bookmarks (or forums) tab tries to refresh and gets stuck like this with blank space after the first few entries. In this state, clicking any thread seems to result in visiting a different thread from that view. When it happens in the forums tab I can fix it with a pull-down refresh in the main forum listing. To fix it in bookmarks I've gotta quit and reload the app. I've actually seen this glitch in forums for ages but it's recently started happening in bookmarks too now.

It's spreading!

I'll +1 the issue. Sorry!

Taintrunner posted:

I seem to get a random crash when loading a new page several times a day.

That sucks. I'll take a gander through the crash logs and see what I can fix. I'll also check for memory leaks, haven't done that in awhile.

carry on then posted:

Well, I keep trying to turn it off and it seems to still somehow get turned on sometimes??? so no promises but I'm trying!

Grace Baiting posted:

Bug report: if you have both yospos and other threads bookmarked, then if (from your bookmarks) you open a non-yospos thread followed by opening a yospos thread, the sliding "Parent Forum | Previous Posts | Scroll to End" top bar in the yospos thread will be dark blue like in the non-yospos threads instead of the correct bright amber color.

This issue does not show up if opening a thread directly from the yospos forum itself; if you do activate it, it can be temporarily fixed by switching from the AmberPOS theme to something else and back, but I believe it comes right back if you perform the above steps again.

iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3, Awful v3.26

Possibly also important: I use the Dark theme for Awful app generally. I haven't checked if this still occurs in the (default?) light theme.

Thanks! I'll make a note and hopefully we can take a look.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Question: are mod buttons available through the app?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
No

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

drat. Authors, any chance of adding this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You would probably have to make one of the devs moderator of something so they know what they are working with.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
iOS 11, 6s, Awful 3.26, the bookmarks page doesn't finish rendering the rest of the page and I can't click on any of the threads.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 19, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

withak posted:

You would probably have to make one of the devs moderator of something so they know what they are working with.

Do itttttt

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
More crashes than ever it seems, and doesn't take you back to where you were

Edit: to clarify latest non beta iOS and app

Crime on a Dime fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 19, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
For the record the app was working just fine in the non-beta iOS 11 versions.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Now that iOS 11 is out, I'll mention that the issue with the Forums, Bookmarks, etc buttons on iPads in portrait is a known issue. It's a bug in UIKit somewhere but Apple never responded to my report, so we'll have to replace the tab view entirely with something else to fix it unless they manage to figure it out soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am having an issue where the thread tags don't load in SA Mart when I try to filter by tag. The tags load when I just view SA Mart but if I go to filter all that shows up is the "No Filter" icon

Example:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 19, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

drat. Authors, any chance of adding this?

There is a non-zero chance.

anthonypants posted:

iOS 11, 6s, Awful 3.26, the bookmarks page doesn't finish rendering the rest of the page and I can't click on any of the threads.

Yeah this is getting worse, not better. I'll look into it.

Crime on a Dime posted:

More crashes than ever it seems, and doesn't take you back to where you were

Edit: to clarify latest non beta iOS and app

I managed to turn off the good crash reporting in 3.26 and 3.27 so this'll be a bit harder than usual to track down. I will say it's not surprising that it loses your place on a crash; the "remember where you are" bit only runs if we don't crash when leaving the app :)

anthonypants posted:

For the record the app was working just fine in the non-beta iOS 11 versions.

That is, the App Store build of Awful running on iOS 11?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am having an issue where the thread tags don't load in SA Mart when I try to filter by tag. The tags load when I just view SA Mart but if I go to filter all that shows up is the "No Filter" icon

Example:

I'll +1 this issue, you are not alone! I am messing around with thread tags a bit but I haven't looked into this issue directly, so it might get better soon or it might get better later.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

That is, the App Store build of Awful running on iOS 11?
Yeah, I don't think I'm doing any Awful.app betas.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know why there's an edit button over the forums listing that seems to do nothing, but I wish there was a way to minimize announcements. I usually read them on PC already.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know why there's an edit button over the forums listing that seems to do nothing, but I wish there was a way to minimize announcements. I usually read them on PC already.

Edit button edits your favorites

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Crime on a Dime posted:

Edit button edits your favorites

Ah-ha. Now if only I didn't have to click through two announcements on each device we'd be golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“Craptacular!”" post="“476576280”"]
Ah-ha. Now if only I didn’t have to click through two announcements on each device we’d be golden.
[/quote]

Quoting this just as an example ^

I'm noticing that the app on iOS11 is adding in extra quotes around the name and post number when quoting a post and causing the quote wrapper to look weird

• Locked thread