Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
don't think so, i talk to him pretty regularly, though i've definitely mentioned this thread as a Good Place in the leftcath group DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

Semi related:

https://twitter.com/erlosungen/status/901425940462542848

I'm starting to wonder if WSJ reads this thread.
The Virgin Hyperdox -----> THE CHAD CRADLE GREEK

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

even our hermits and anchorites existed historically in ways that connected them to the church and allowed their spiritual work to inform the life of the church and vice versa.anything.

maybe the modern day equivalent of anchorites are the people who live in the basement and post racist memes on 8chan's christianity board all day, makes u think

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Woke space jesuit is my favorite twitter and if ever I could choose anyone as a confessor it would be a hard fight between him and Caufman.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I wonder how the pope is as a confessor

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bel_Canto posted:

don't think so, i talk to him pretty regularly, though i've definitely mentioned this thread as a Good Place in the leftcath group DM

leftcath group dm

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Woke space jesuit is my favorite twitter and if ever I could choose anyone as a confessor it would be a hard fight between him and Caufman.

:)

Smoking Crow posted:

I wonder how the pope is as a confessor

Have you heard the joke about the pope and the sonuvabitch fish? Like that, I imagine.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

leftcath group dm

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

leftcath group dm

why did god let McGregor lose to a heathen

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Caufman posted:

Have you heard the joke about the pope and the sonuvabitch fish? Like that, I imagine.

I haven't and I'd very much like to know.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

just another tragedy for the irish

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jesus is black, hadn't you heard?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Valiantman posted:

I haven't and I'd very much like to know.

In a small diocese by the sea, the Bishop learns that the Pope will be coming over for supper. He tells his priest and the mother superior to bring him a fish to cook. The priest goes out on a boat with a fisherman and cast a line. Something big grabs the hook and the priest reels in a massive fish.

"Look at the size of that sonofabitch!" the fisherman yells. The priest clears his throat and raises his eyebrow, and the fisherman blurts out, "That's just the name of the fish, Father. It's a sonofabitch fish."

The priest apologizes and both men row back to shore. The priest brings the fish to the Mother Superior and exclaims, "I caught this sonofabitch, Sister!"

"Father, mind your language," she rebukes him.

"Oh no, that's just the name of the fish: a sonofabitch fish," The priest explains. Satisfied, she cleans the fish and they both bring it to the Bishop.

"Your Eminence, we've brought you this sonofabitch!"

"Really," the Bishop says disapprovingly. "I expected better of you both."

"Oh no, your Eminence," they reply. "That's just what the fish is called, a sonofabitch fish." Pleased, the Bishop cooks the fish.

That night the Pope comes by and eats the fish without expression. The three clergy nervously watch their boss finish his dinner. Plainly, the Pope tells them, "The fish was delicious. Who made it?"

"Well I caught the sonofabitch!" the priest announces proudly.

"And I cleaned the sonofabitch!" the Mother Superior adds, smiling.

"And I cooked the sonofabitch!" the Bishop yells loudest.

The Pope remains expressionless, staring each of them in the eyes for what feel like ages. The three clergy have no idea how His Holiness is going to react. Then the Pope lets out a long sigh of relief, kicks his feet up on the table, and belches.

"You know," the Pope tells them. "You fuckers are all right."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Saw some pics from an acquintance trip to boston, and they saw a statue of St. Anthony getting covered in dollar bills.

Can someone who's Catholic or who was raised Catholic explain why the statue of St. Anthony is getting all the dollz?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Something that occurred to me tonight as I've been looking at my Bible: as I've gotten older, and struggled with depression and life's disappointments, my opinion on Job has gone from "Yawn, that's the really dreary part of the Bible that's not fun to read or hear sermons about" to "Oh my God I think this is the most meaningful book of the entire Bible."

Funny how that works, and neatly compounded by a verse from Micah I also looked up: "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A similar thing happened to me with the Sermon on the Mount. I read it thru in high school and I got really flustered because I thought "how can anyone live up to this, why would God hold us to such impossibly high standards?" Now that I'm older, I understand that they're impossibly high on purpose, and we will fall short of them anyway. But as long as we try to reach them, we'll reach Heaven probably

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

My class just had the whole "you are going to try not to sin, then you are going to sin no matter what, and once that happens you should not be too sad because you have already been saved" thing explained to them, and were predictably 18 years old like about it.

I think it's neat :shobon:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I never believed Egyptians were hung like donkeys and ejaculated like horses until I saw it for myself.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :D Inhabiting a body that has to survive in this world (hormones, lizard & monkey brain parts that keep the species going) comes with the potential to get us stuck in some pretty (self-)destructive behaviour patterns that are really hard to break. That's another reason why I don't believe that a god worth its salt would be super disappointed when when gently caress up from time to time - it's part of the built-in difficulty level.

Some theologicians on the heretic/weird side even went so far to assume that (based on the idea that God wants consciousness to experience itself in any possible form because They're just into dat poo poo, yo) intelligent species exist on other worlds with less 'harsh' conditions. As an example: intelligent jellyfish floating around in an endless ocean would have less issues with sexuality, territorial aggression etc. - not sinning might be much easier for them, but they would both lack the temptation and the possible reward of resisting it, stumping their spiritual growth.

So from a Goon perspective: we're all basically playing Dark Souls Iron Man mode on this world, hl gf.

edit: Afaik Buddhism also assumes that gods exist and are basically having a jolly good time being almost immortal, always healthy, never hungry, etc. - which fucks up their chances to reach enlightenment big time, because they don't have to struggle with existence, suffer, etc - all the stuff that makes you grow spiritually.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 28, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's not that those experiences make you grow spiritually, it's that gods forget that their existence as gods will end and when they're reborn they haven't put in any of the work to become a buddha and so in their new life their positive karma is expired and they begin existence as like a bug or an animal or something. and animals cannot practice buddhism because they lack the rational mind needed.

there are beings, such as hungry ghosts, whose existence is suffering and thus cannot focus on the practice necessary to become buddhas, thus rebirth is necessary

of course my school of buddhism believes that we are currently in an era in which global suffering exists at such levels that it is impossible for any of us to achieve buddhahood on our own, and thus we look to the compassion and grace of the amida buddha whose buddha vows guarantee that anyone who calls on his name will be reborn in his pure land where we can then practice buddhism under the tutelage of bodhisattva and amida

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smoking Crow posted:

A similar thing happened to me with the Sermon on the Mount. I read it thru in high school and I got really flustered because I thought "how can anyone live up to this, why would God hold us to such impossibly high standards?" Now that I'm older, I understand that they're impossibly high on purpose, and we will fall short of them anyway. But as long as we try to reach them, we'll reach Heaven probably

For me, it's revisiting Job as an adult and empathizing a lot with Job. I've found myself nodding along with his objections and arguments, and his conclusions in the end are about the same ones I've come to as an adult. gently caress if I know, God, but I trust you. Let Your will be done.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

SavageGentleman posted:

edit: Afaik Buddhism also assumes that gods exist and are basically having a jolly good time being almost immortal, always healthy, never hungry, etc. - which fucks up their chances to reach enlightenment big time, because they don't have to struggle with existence, suffer, etc - all the stuff that makes you grow spiritually.

Suffering often doesn't make people grow though, it just breaks them up into little pieces. How much of that style of idea is based on just making the "just world" hypothesis that much wider.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josef bugman posted:

Suffering often doesn't make people grow though, it just breaks them up into little pieces. How much of that style of idea is based on just making the "just world" hypothesis that much wider.

yeah but people who haven't experienced hardship like the president are far more likely to be trash people than the majority of the population

i also don't think suffering makes people good, but i definitely think people who don't suffer are far less likely to be good people

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Suffering adapts you to suffering. What that means depends intensely on what kind of person you already were and what sort of social environment you suffered in.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
studies of rich people show the opposite, actually. the further you are from the strufgles of "common people" the harder it is to empathize with them

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senju Kannon posted:

studies of rich people show the opposite, actually. the further you are from the strufgles of "common people" the harder it is to empathize with them

I don't see how that contradicts what I said at all.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
suffering is not necessary for growth, only good soil, seed, and careful tending

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
humans are planted willy-nilly, and to tend to the ones who fell on stone or in the wasteland is Good

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

humans are planted willy-nilly, and to tend to the ones who fell on stone or in the wasteland is Good

quote:

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a shovel. By virture of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will be one.

If his back be strong and his shovel sharp, there may eventually be ten thousand. And in the seventh year he may lean upon his shovel, and look upon his trees, and find them good.

God passed on his handiwork as early as the seventh day, but I notice He has since been rather noncommittal about its merits. I gather either that He spoke too soon, or that trees stand more looking upon than do fig leaves and firmaments.

mad props if you guess the reference without googling it :v:

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

A farmer went out to scatter seed in a field. 4 While the farmer was scattering the seed, some of it fell along the road and was eaten by birds. 5 Other seeds fell on thin, rocky ground and quickly started growing because the soil wasn’t very deep. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched and dried up, because they did not have enough roots. 7 Some other seeds fell where thornbushes grew up and choked the plants. 8 But a few seeds did fall on good ground where the plants produced a hundred or sixty or thirty times as much as was scattered. 9 If you have ears, pay attention!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Suffering often doesn't make people grow though, it just breaks them up into little pieces.

Empirically speaking, the frequency of posttraumatic growth greatly outnumbers the instances of disorder. We just don't see it as much because healthfulness is less apparent than disease. That's not to ignore anyone who has been traumatized and continues to suffer; they deserve only compassion. But the frequency of posttraumatic growth does suggest that our suffering will not doom us. On the contrary, we will all be stronger, more compassionate people by virtue of our common ability to transform trauma into deeply and personally meaningful experiences.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Tias posted:

Saw some pics from an acquintance trip to boston, and they saw a statue of St. Anthony getting covered in dollar bills.

Can someone who's Catholic or who was raised Catholic explain why the statue of St. Anthony is getting all the dollz?

Donations to the church in order to answer a prayer or give thanks for one that's been settled. Most of the restaurants/bars/shops in the neighborhood will have ribbons behind the register where you can pin a bill or two and the full ribbons will be tied to the statue. There are saint festivals in the North End every weekend in August; this one's the biggest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_St._Anthony
http://www.saintanthonysfeast.com/index.html

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hoover Dam posted:

Donations to the church in order to answer a prayer or give thanks for one that's been settled. Most of the restaurants/bars/shops in the neighborhood will have ribbons behind the register where you can pin a bill or two and the full ribbons will be tied to the statue. There are saint festivals in the North End every weekend in August; this one's the biggest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_St._Anthony
http://www.saintanthonysfeast.com/index.html
i've never heard of that--is it boston-specific, or the entire northeast?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My uncle Jim died this morning. Thank you to those of you who reached out and those who shared in our prayers. Please say a parting prayer for his soul and for his family who will desperately need God's grace as they continue their lives without him.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Your uncle Jim sounds like a stand up guy. I can't wait to meet him at the resurrection of the body.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lucy_Worsley/status/901115766455533568

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

and not the little 17th century officer? DISCRIMINATION REEEEE

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

HEY GAIL posted:

i've never heard of that--is it boston-specific, or the entire northeast?

This particular one is Boston specific but it wouldn't surprise me if there are similar events where there are other large Italian communities.

(I've actually never been to this one, in 23 years of living here, but in general ethnic festivals, church connected or otherwise, are a joy of living in this city)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hoover Dam posted:

This particular one is Boston specific but it wouldn't surprise me if there are similar events where there are other large Italian communities.

(I've actually never been to this one, in 23 years of living here, but in general ethnic festivals, church connected or otherwise, are a joy of living in this city)
That's why I asked, I'm Italian and I've never heard of that. Probably whoever started it in Boston came from a different city than whoever started the customs in the places my family ended up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so mostly we hear about the aryans hanging around trump, but the Arians who like him have also said a thing:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

A bunch of people in Trumps evangelical counsel met with others and created this

The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (CBMW) announced August 29th the release of The Nashville Statement, an evangelical coalition statement on biblical sexuality.

It is...something else

quote:

WE AFFIRM that God has designed marriage to be a covenantal, sexual, procreative, lifelong union of one man and one woman, as husband and wife, and is meant to signify the covenant love between Christ and his bride the church.

WE DENY that God has designed marriage to be a homosexual, polygamous, or polyamorous relationship. We also deny that marriage is a mere human contract rather than a covenant made before God.

WE AFFIRM that God’s revealed will for all people is chastity outside of marriage and fidelity within marriage.

WE DENY that any affections, desires, or commitments ever justify sexual intercourse before or outside marriage; nor do they justify any form of sexual immorality.

WE AFFIRM that God created Adam and Eve, the first human beings, in his own image, equal before God as persons, and distinct as male and female.

WE DENY that the divinely ordained differences between male and female render them unequal in dignity or worth.

WE AFFIRM that the differences between male and female reproductive structures are integral to God’s design for self-conception as male or female.

WE DENY that physical anomalies or psychological conditions nullify the God-appointed link between biological sex and self-conception as male or female.

WE AFFIRM that those born with a physical disorder of sex development are created in the image of God and have dignity and worth equal to all other image-bearers.

WE DENY that adopting a homosexual or transgender self-conception is consistent with God’s holy purposes in creation and redemption.

WE AFFIRM that people who experience sexual attraction for the same sex may live a rich and fruitful life pleasing to God through faith in Jesus Christ, as they, like all Christians, walk in purity of life.

WE DENY that sexual attraction for the same sex is part of the natural goodness of God’s original creation, or that it puts a person outside the hope of the gospel.

WE AFFIRM that sin distorts sexual desires by directing them away from the marriage covenant and toward sexual immorality— a distortion that includes both heterosexual and homosexual immorality.

WE DENY that an enduring pattern of desire for sexual immorality justifies sexually immoral behavior.

WE AFFIRM that it is sinful to approve of homosexual immorality or transgenderism and that such approval constitutes an essential departure from Christian faithfulness and witness.

WE DENY that the approval of homosexual immorality or transgenderism is a matter of moral indifference about which otherwise faithful Christians should agree to disagree.

WE AFFIRM our duty to speak the truth in love at all times, including when we speak to or about one another as male or female.

WE DENY any obligation to speak in such ways that dishonor God’s design of his image-bearers as male and female.

• Locked thread