Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

bradzilla posted:

FFX's story is actually good but completely tainted by the horrendous early voice acting. The sphere grid owned too and made FFX the very peak of the ATB system.

Oh and to the guy who said "the Japan numbers," uhhhh they're roman numerals my dude.

FFX didn't use the ATB system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bradzilla posted:

FFX's story is actually good but completely tainted by the horrendous early voice acting. The sphere grid owned too and made FFX the very peak of the ATB system.

Oh and to the guy who said "the Japan numbers," uhhhh they're roman numerals my dude.

Roman numerals weeabo trash

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bradzilla posted:

I was tlaking about the people who call final fantasy 3 final fantasy 6 or whatever.

"my dude".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bradzilla posted:

I think the dialogue is really awkward and the voice acting too mainly because it was their first time going from text only dialogue to voiced. There was also a bug where the English audio had to be shorter or equal into the length to the Japanese audio or the game would crash. It's why sometimes characters seem to be rushing their lines by the end. I played IX much later and it has a similar laughing scene and plenty of clunky dialogue that would sound much worse if spoken. I just really like a story about a terrifying sea monster that can't be stopped and appreciated the world building a lot. I liked the Sphere Grid in general but I thought it didn't take into account maxing out characters for late game stuff, everyone becomes identical accept for Limit Breaks and Yuna's summon ability.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:corsair:

EmmyOk posted:

I think the dialogue is really awkward and the voice acting too mainly because it was their first time going from text only dialogue to voiced. There was also a bug where the English audio had to be shorter or equal into the length to the Japanese audio or the game would crash. It's why sometimes characters seem to be rushing their lines by the end. I played IX much later and it has a similar laughing scene and plenty of clunky dialogue that would sound much worse if spoken. I just really like a story about a terrifying sea monster that can't be stopped and appreciated the world building a lot. I liked the Sphere Grid in general but I thought it didn't take into account maxing out characters for late game stuff, everyone becomes identical accept for Limit Breaks and Yuna's summon ability.

I agree, but the point of doing end-game stuff is to get gently caress-off powerful so it doesn't really matter if everyone becomes the same.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
PHUO: Chrono Cross was way better than Chrono Trigger

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crono from Chrono Trigger has zero personality, which is a problem since he's the protagonist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
University College London sounds like a made-up name.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SomethingAwful is one of the last places on the internet where liberals can talk about being liberals without Alt-Right fuckers being humongous wads about everything.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

SomethingAwful is one of the last places on the internet where normal people can talk about being normal people without goons being humongous wads about everything.

yeah

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed. I like you, spit on my clit.

Theres so much bullshit about everything.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've spent some time on Reddit, and opinions I've stated here that would be very controversial over there barely raised any eyebrows here. My experience with SA at least so far is that this is a better, more mature environment to have serious discussions than Reddit's environment of pissy contrarianism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've spent some time on Reddit, and opinions I've stated here that would be very controversial over there barely raised any eyebrows here. My experience with SA at least so far is that this is a better, more mature environment to have serious discussions than Reddit's environment of pissy contrarianism.

I see you don't read the games subforum.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Maybe this is their way of dealing with the criticism that all their games with female protags are coincidentally their worst games. "Throw in some boobs for a 'no homo,' but otherwise nary a bitch in sight! GOLD!"

I could respect if they'd just said they wanted to tell a road tripping college teen boys story (forgot, Japan), but naw. They tried to pose it as in the interest of the quality and the realism of their dialogue.

Isn't FFVI usually viewed as one of if not the best of all the games though?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

PHUO: Chrono Cross was way better than Chrono Trigger

I think the same thing but because I only played CT after CC and to this day think Cross only got a bum rep cause of the expectations

It's kind of like how I never played any of the Mario Paper games cause I was pissed we didn't get a direct sequel to Mario RPG

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chrono Cross also had an amazing soundtrack. My best friend and I beat it together over the course of a week the summer right after I graduated high school and moved into my first apartment. Drinking in my living room during the day and playing a nerdy RPG was basically living the dream when I was 18.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Isn't FFVI usually viewed as one of if not the best of all the games though?

Is it? I only ever hear about VII, VIII and X. And then I'm reminded of XIII when I walk by a mall and see Lightning hawking purses.

I like the mogs of XIV best.

E: I also got FF X2 free with... One of my Sony consoles. PS2? Anyway, I turned it on and was so embarrassed I turned it off. I was a teenage girl and it was still too much.

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 29, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think people over 35 will say FF3/6 is one of the best games. I couldn't stand the random battle encounters and quit a few hours in.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Dross posted:

All Final Fantasy games between 6 and 13 have exactly 3. Quina doesn't count.
Odd since I'm talking about 5

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Games is a terrible loving forum. Every time I go there to read about a game that just came out, I can't go more than like 3 posts before some dipshit spoils something cool about the plot or gameplay. I avoid Games like the plague.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Games is a terrible loving forum. Every time I go there to read about a game that just came out, I can't go more than like 3 posts before some dipshit spoils something cool about the plot or gameplay. I avoid Games like the plague.

I concur that games is pretty bad, but lol, spoiling gameplay?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's a good segue into my unpopular opinion, spoilers do not affect my enjoyment of a media. In fact many times I've looked up spoilers to a movie I wanted to see and went "ooh, good thing I never went to that, I'd have been pissed."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I'm pro-spoiler as well. I actually kind of prefer knowing what's going to happen - especially in TV/film.

While I completely understand that others don't function that way because it "ruins the experience" I do not at all understand why some people get so angry that preferring to be surprised isn't a universal trait among consumers of media.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Odd since I'm talking about 5

Wow I forgot Krile I am the patriarchy

4 counts too (Rosa/Rydia/Porom)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Spoilers have never ruined my enjoyment of any piece of media ever. If you choose not to watch something because someone spoiled it you weren't really planning on watching it anyway.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

I concur that games is pretty bad, but lol, spoiling gameplay?

Yes? What is funny about that? If you think I mean "general gameplay" then read my post again. I'm talking like 24 hours after a game has come out and these goons have already 100% finished it and are talking about endgame unlockable poo poo. Spoilers bothering me or not depends on the media I guess. Like I recently started watching GoT in the current season and went back to season 1 to get the whole story. GoT has like 10 million little stories all happening at once, so in this case knowing what is happening in the current season provides context to events earlier in the series.

bradzilla has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Aug 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goons acting like every single plot detail is a spoiler is extremely annoying.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Yes? What is funny about that? If you think I mean "general gameplay" then read my post again. I'm talking like 24 hours after a game has come out and these goons have already 100% finished it and are talking about endgame unlockable poo poo.

I did read your post, and you talked about "story spoilers" and "gameplay spoilers." I think differentiating between the two is silly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
By the time I saw Star Wars as a kid I had seen countless parodies of LUKE I AM YOUR FATHER and I still thought it was the coolest poo poo in the world when I finally saw it. And Star Wars isn't even that good! If a story's not worth reading/watching when you know what's coming, it's not worth reading/watching even if you don't.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Yes? What is funny about that? If you think I mean "general gameplay" then read my post again. I'm talking like 24 hours after a game has come out and these goons have already 100% finished it and are talking about endgame unlockable poo poo. Spoilers bothering me or not depends on the media I guess. Like I recently started watching GoT in the current season and went back to season 1 to get the whole story. GoT has like 10 million little stories all happening at once, so in this case knowing what is happening in the current season provides context to events earlier in the series.

I don't want to seem like a dick, but maybe don't read threads about games you intend to play if spoilers will bother you that much? I avoided reading too much about Metal Gear Solid 3 and IV because I knew I was going to play them and wanted to experience the stories with as unspoilt as possible. If I'd "ruined" one of them by reading a thread about them before I'd played it, I'd blame myself, not the people talking about a shared experience.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

I don't want to seem like a dick, but maybe don't read threads about games you intend to play if spoilers will bother you that much?

No poo poo, that's why I don't read Games and think it is a lovely forum as I have already explained.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bradzilla posted:

No poo poo, that's why I don't read Games and think it is a lovely forum as I have already explained.

You've got a 7 year old's level of emotional response

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
lol if you're reading posts in games instead of posting in games

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I'm pro-spoiler as well. I actually kind of prefer knowing what's going to happen - especially in TV/film.

You're not alone, turns out the majority of people enjoy being spoiled.

http://gizmodo.com/stop-worrying-about-spoilers-they-actually-help-you-en-1778452171

There's been movies that I wasn't going to watch until I got spoiled on the ending and decided that sounded real good and I need to watch it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can still enjoy something after it's been spoiled and in fact even if it wasn't many things have a lot going on the make for enjoyable repeat viewings even when you know what happens. That said it's bizarre to me that people don't feel spoilers matter at all. Your first experience of a piece of media is formative and the tension and excitement of not knowing what's coming next or trying to work out the mystery becomes part of your memory of that film or book or whatever. Also if for you personally think that reading the wiki entry for a big plot development is the same experience as how it was intended that's cool but it seems utterly disconnected. Take Fight Club for example when you find out the narrator and Tyler are the same person. You experience the same shock as Edward Norton's character does (in b4 "I called it personally") and that oomph and gut punch feeling is a great experience that I don't believe having it told to you ahead of time can compare to. The next time you watch it it's great because you pick up all the small hints along the way like a person who was spoiled so it's not like you're losing out. If you don't care about how the plot of a story makes you feel or what you experience reading it that's fine but stop reading my posts, dad, and also we need milk and bread.

e: I'm being a bit flip at the end because I'm sure everyone enjoys the story for those reasons but you're just robbing yourself of part of that imo

e2: really do need that milk tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's how I felt about Shutter Island. You can figure it out the first time around, and many people did, but when you watch it with that knowledge, there's a lot of little things that point to it that I know I missed.

Although I think the "evidence" of his one conversation with the bald dude still seemed a bit forced.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

lemon-lyme disease posted:

While I completely understand that others don't function that way because it "ruins the experience" I do not at all understand why some people get so angry that preferring to be surprised isn't a universal trait among consumers of media.

I put it at the foot of stuff like Game of Thrones, where the only real thing that drives the story is "Who dies next?" So if it's spoiled, there's no reason to watch it because the plot really doesn't carry it at all.

My PHUO: Game of Thrones is garbage.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

starkebn posted:

You've got a 7 year old's level of emotional response

durrrrrrr

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

"Some people in some threads make posts I don't like, the entire forum is complete garbage"

You basically said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Star Wars is good because it has magic and Kung Fu and explosions and space and lasers and bomb rear end music and that's all anyone ever needs.

It makes you feel good, because only ever feeling good is what winners do