Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Not sure I saw that; the 13th has seemed like Irish Mythology Town more than anything, and an attempt to explain why a prominent franchise demon is named Cuchulainn (turns out they ALL got demonized!)

Either way, for good or head-slapping ill I do expect there will be some shards shenanigans for Return to Ivalice; the timing is just too right. I've been wrong before, though!

Dun Scaith is a Mhach refuge turned into a Voidsent den somewhere in Eorzia- The Void itself is where we went in the World of Darkness at the end of CT, with the Cloud of Darkness as the boss. Early on it was just because CT as a whole was a shoutout to FFIII, but then we get more hints about it with the Warring Triad quest arc as you hear more about the 13th and especially with the unmasking of Unukalhai, last uncorrupted survivor of the 13th, as a visual ringer for Luneth at the end of the quest line.

As for secondary stats, DH is basically the strong stat unless you can get so much Crit that you can get it past 1800-2000 without sacrificing something you need, where Crit will pass it. Right now the big variable is S.Speed, which some classes want a lot (BLM, SAM) and some (MCH) want absolutely none of, and the more points your class spends on SS the less appealing Crit is right now, while everything he wants SOME Direct Hit. That said, as numbers get more bloated, DH will start to fall off a bit as Det and Crit will carry more weight, although that day for Det is probably not gonna be reached until maybe the end of the patch cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Samurai *wants* SkS.

This is the very first I have heard of this from any source. Literally everyone has said to go DH > Crit. Can you explain?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thundarr posted:

This is the very first I have heard of this from any source. Literally everyone has said to go DH > Crit. Can you explain?

More abilities -> more Sen/Kenki -> more Hissatsu

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Everything SAM does scales off performing more Weaponskills. More Weaponskills means more iaijutsus. More Weaponskills means more Shintens. They don't want to tank it like most physical DPS and probably want enough it's gonna be hard to stack enough Crit to hit the sweet spot unless they tank DH (don't tank DH).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well if literally anybody had said SkS magically matters for Sam unlike pretty much anyone else I wouldn't have dumpstatted it :negative:

On the other hand having nearly 4k of combined crit+dh is good for making pretty numbers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you tell if something is a direct hit anyway? Are the number fonts bigger like for a crit?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

The font is a bit bigger and the ability name and number just hang there instead of floating up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Isn't it larger bold font that hangs on the screen = DH, same with one ! = Crit, and large/bold with !! is a DH/crit combined?

1500 normal
1800 DH
2200! Crit
2800!! Crit+DH

Like that?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't it larger bold font that hangs on the screen = DH, same with one ! = Crit, and large/bold with !! is a DH/crit combined?

1500 normal
1800 DH
2200! Crit
2800!! Crit+DH

Like that?

I think this is right.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Well if literally anybody had said SkS magically matters for Sam unlike pretty much anyone else I wouldn't have dumpstatted it :negative:

On the other hand having nearly 4k of combined crit+dh is good for making pretty numbers.

SkS isn't so much of a dump stat as much of a sliding scale of preference actually. There's nigh optimal (as in, within 0.5% of the simulated optimal set) gearsets for SkS ratings ranging from 1666 (2.07 gcd) to 521 (2.22 gcd.)

Because while it's true that more weaponskills equals more stuff, with Shifu you're getting a lot of built in SkS and unlike other classes SAM can only clip their GCD by double weaving. And you really don't have any reason to double weave (role skills are pretty much the only reason you would want to.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The whole meld stuff gives me a panic attack just thinking about it. I've mainly just focused on Direct Hit, Determination and Critical. I put a few Skill Speed in there since that seems like a good thing for Samurai/Monks. Quicker harder hitting attacks seems like a good pick for those two. For Dragoon maybe having more Crit than Samurai would go good with Battle Litany.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

You're overthinking it. The stat system in this game is pretty simple. Just putting in whatever DPS stat seems neat and doesn't hit the item's cap is not by the most stringent definition of the word optimal, but the difference is nowhere near close enough to care about. Maybe unless you're doing savage raiding, in which case you're presumably poopsocky enough to look it up yourself.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
as long as you have something melded it barely matters even in savage progression. i'm loaded to the gills with piety and vitality right now myself, and i haven't bothered changing that yet.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in that case is better for example, a BRD to try and meld crit on to a piece of gear/weapon that already has a bunch of crit on it and trying to squeeze out a few extra points or should i just go down the list and slot in something that is missing?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Since we're talking about melding: Who are these people who are buying ice/water/earth/etc materia off the MB? I list it when it falls into my lap and I'm blown away every time someone spends money on it.

Is there a secret use for it I'm not aware of? Are they tossing it into a grinder that has a chance of spitting better materia out on the other end?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in that case is better for example, a BRD to try and meld crit on to a piece of gear/weapon that already has a bunch of crit on it and trying to squeeze out a few extra points or should i just go down the list and slot in something that is missing?

As a bard, you should meld a crit VI into any piece that has enough room for 40 points of crit (it'll display the current and max crit in the melding window). Put something other than crit in if it can't fit the full 40 points.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are they tossing it into a grinder that has a chance of spitting better materia out on the other end?

yes

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a secret use for it I'm not aware of? Are they tossing it into a grinder that has a chance of spitting better materia out on the other end?

Melded gear spiritbonds faster and elemental materia is dirt cheap because it's useless, so in a sense yeah I guess?

Griz
May 21, 2001

OneDeadman posted:

Melded gear spiritbonds faster and elemental materia is dirt cheap because it's useless, so in a sense yeah I guess?

melded gear also has a better desynth chance, and the weekly "meld 5 materia" challenge log entry gives a big chunk of crafter exp.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elemental IVs can be used in the sands step of anima also which gives them a decent price floor

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So wait, just to be sure: I previously had it drilled into my head that, for this tier of content and gear at least, it was DH > all for RDM.

Is that actually true or was I misinformed?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

So wait, just to be sure: I previously had it drilled into my head that, for this tier of content and gear at least, it was DH > all for RDM.

That's true for most DPS classes and I don't think RDM is one of the exceptions

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since we're talking about melding: Who are these people who are buying ice/water/earth/etc materia off the MB? I list it when it falls into my lap and I'm blown away every time someone spends money on it.

Yes, and the trick is that you cannot get back a materia identical to one of the five that you put in. Therefore it is best to put in five different garbage materia, in the form of the six elemental resists, or DEX/MND/INT.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SpaceDrake posted:

My strategy is basically, DH for any gear I can fit DH into, Crit for anything that I can fit Crit fully into.

Big Money, No Whammies.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Speaking of gear... I just finished ARR and hit lvl 51 as a DRG. My weapon is hot garbage and I could definitely use gear upgrades all around. Is it worth it to spend time farming poetics for Ironworks gear or will I get better gear just sticking to MSQ's in HW?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Patch notes are out
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2b058731112d9859b50789e65fcc86e77977f3e5

It's all PvP stuff, mostly potency reductions and HP increases.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bigman.50grand posted:

Speaking of gear... I just finished ARR and hit lvl 51 as a DRG. My weapon is hot garbage and I could definitely use gear upgrades all around. Is it worth it to spend time farming poetics for Ironworks gear or will I get better gear just sticking to MSQ's in HW?

The MSQ will give you a full set of i110 just by playing through. Spending the poetics you get naturally on an i120 weapon is a good idea though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

bigman.50grand posted:

I'd say yes, especially since PotD is one of the better sources of XP until 60. Really if you're okay with the grind you can get to 60 entirely thru PotD, focus Poetics on Augmented Shire Gear, then go back thru the HW story and pad your XP a bit before SB.

Don't worry about jewelry overmuch; focus on weapon, then left side armor. If you're on Excalibur/in a goon guild, crafters can make you some jewelry at 50 or 60 that'll serve well enough for leveling.

a kitten posted:

Patch notes are out
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2b058731112d9859b50789e65fcc86e77977f3e5

Man, an 8 hour maintenance for this seems bonkers. Hail Tanaka I suppose

isk fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2017

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

That should be true for RDM. The classes that really want to prioritize other stats usually have some sort of class mechanic that rewards crits, like MNK's extra shakra stack, or BRD's song effects, or they have some sort of mechanic that makes potency boosting stats a little bit worse. If I remember right, SAM and BLM damage formulas are more complicated, because of how their buffs work. The baseline potency on their skills are a little lower or something, because they usually have the damage buffs from SAM's combos and BLM's astral fire boosting their total damage. Because their base potency is a little lower, the effect of stats is also a little lower(edit: looks like the damage formula for these classes is more complicated than this, read below for more info). RDM doesn't have any mechanic like that, so DH should have the highest impact on their skills' damage.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 29, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bigman.50grand posted:

I wouldn't go out of my way to farm poetics, but you're going to get a lot of them as you do 50 instances, especially if you feel like going through and hitting the optional dungeons too. Its worth getting ironworks because the upgraded 130 stuff will last you well into the HW MSQ. Not having it just means you're gonna be replacing your gear earlier, not a big deal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

isk posted:

Man, an 8 hour maintenance for this seems bonkers. Hail Tanaka I suppose

There's probably more backend stuff going on that they don't post about in prep for 4.1.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Tenik posted:

That should be true for RDM. The classes that really want to prioritize other stats usually have some sort of class mechanic that rewards crits, like MNK's extra shakra stack, or BRD's song effects, or they have some sort of mechanic that makes potency boosting stats a little bit worse. If I remember right, SAM and BLM damage formulas are more complicated, because of how their buffs work. The baseline potency on their skills are a little lower or something, because they usually have the damage buffs from SAM's combos and BLM's astral fire boosting their total damage. Because their base potency is a little lower, the effect of stats is also a little lower. RDM doesn't have any mechanic like that, so DH should have the highest impact on their skills' damage.

What? No, that's not how things work. If that was the case, BLM and SAM would be badly scaling DPS, and as far as I know, that is not the case. Besides their base potencies are huge.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

no that's actually true.

every job has a sequence in their damage formula that modifies their power (thus called a JobMod) to make their overall power stronger or weaker depending on how their buttons are potency'd out.

formula for dealing damage using a potency value goes
code:
INT(Potency/100*(Weapon Damage+INT(292*JobMod/1000))*(100+INT((Attack Power-292)*10000/(80*292)))/100)
SAMs JobMod is 112. DRG is 115. MNK is 110. Paladin is the Perfect Middle*, so their JobMod is 100. RDM, BLM and SMN all have JobMods of 115.

*a term used for which character you balance a game around, see Ryuu in Street Fighter, Tracer in Overwatch

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

a kitten posted:

Patch notes are out

A handful of PvP nerfs and somehow BRD manages to evade even the slightest bit of a nerf somehow. But MNK eats potency reductions. That's messed up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

Patch notes are out

I wonder how Summoners should feel about this. I guess it's both good and bad there are no poor attempts at fixing it?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I see AST will still be garbage in pvp

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

no that's actually true.

every job has a sequence in their damage formula that modifies their power (thus called a JobMod) to make their overall power stronger or weaker depending on how their buttons are potency'd out.

code:
INT(Potency/100*(Weapon Damage+INT(292*JobMod/1000))*(100+INT((Attack Power-292)*10000/(80*292)))/100)
SAMs JobMod is 112. DRG is 115. MNK is 110. Paladin is the Perfect Middle*, so their JobMod is 100. RDM, BLM and SMN all have JobMods of 115.

*a term used for which character you balance a game around, see Ryuu in Street Fighter, Tracer in Overwatch

So essentially, because of the way it works out, monks and samurai get +3 to their weapon damage over paladins and dragoons get +4. That's kind of interesting.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ilifinicus posted:

no that's actually true.

code:

Yeah but that doesn't mean that a point of det gives you less of a percentage boost on BLM than it does on PLD, does it? Like, I assume that the det bonus and crits and everything just multiply based off of that.

Also yeah I don't understand why it works that way as opposed to just tweaking weapon potencies and being done with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It does. A dragoon and a samurai with the exact same stats will do slightly different damage per potency, and each additional point of AP or determination will increase the dragoon's damage per potency slightly more than the samurai's. Interestingly, each point of weapon damage increases every class's damage per potency by the same amount, because it's the only factor that doesn't get multiplied by the jobmod.

Assuming I'm reading that correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

It does. A dragoon and a samurai with the exact same stats will do slightly different damage per potency, and each additional point of AP or determination will increase the dragoon's damage per potency slightly more than the samurai's. Interestingly, each point of weapon damage increases every class's damage per potency by the same amount, because it's the only factor that doesn't get multiplied by the jobmod.

Assuming I'm reading that correctly.

I guess I'm confused, then. My understanding is that you plug your potency, WD, jobmod, and attack power (which I think is just some function of your mainstat) into that formula, and get a value X. Then you multiply X by various things to account for things like DH chance, crit chance, and the determination buff. For example, after taking direct hit chance into account your damage is effectively X * (1 + .25 * (DH - 364) / (40 * 100)) since you have a 1% chance to direct hit for every 40 points above 364, or whatever the numbers are.

So while a samurai and a dragoon will have different values for X given the exact same potency/WD/mainstat, they'll have the same DH multipliers. So no matter what your job is or what your weapon or skill is, a single point of DH will always give you .25 * 1% / 40 = .0000625% more damage relative to if you had 364 DH.

vOv fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 29, 2017