Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

watch baseball

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

IcePhoenix posted:

What I'm getting from this is that I should either just watch red zone or ignore the games and play more video games and watch baseball on sundays

Twins are probably going to make a wildcard berth this year, so you got that going for you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

good username/post combo

Deki posted:

Twins are probably going to make a wildcard berth this year, so you got that going for you.

it's very cool and with basketball starting like two weeks earlier this year I'm really happy they're almost going to bridge the gap between seasons

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Sweet the Bears drafted a Glennon-level quarterback.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I love my elite quarterback.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902348222009573377

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Stafford was reported to be absent from practice today, so they must have just finished hammering out the details. All I can wonder now is how far north it is of $25 million a year, and whether our cap can sustain it (especially with a bunch of contracts coming up next year)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Stafford was reported to be absent from practice today, so they must have just finished hammering out the details. All I can wonder now is how far north it is of $25 million a year, and whether our cap can sustain it (especially with a bunch of contracts coming up next year)

Sources saying $27 mil a year, which honestly isn't as bad as it could've been.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
:allears::allears:

:yayclod:

I was starting to get a little worried this was going to end up like Washington's situation.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Man, what the hell happened to Carlos? He used to be so nondescript, but ever since Drew Sharp died he's been aggressively terrible.

https://twitter.com/cmonarrez/status/902396017743712257

https://twitter.com/cmonarrez/status/902544137538330624

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/902544796451037184

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I love my fat-faced QB.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean, Calvin Johnson was on the 0-16 Lions, so clearly he is a garbage receiver. That was some quality article.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's really dumb.

Like, yeah, he's not the best QB in the league, but look at who's winning Superbowls.

Peyton (2015 version) was a smart but terrible QB.
Wilson was showing flashes, but was not the QB he's grown into in '13.
Flacco and Eli are both worse quarterbacks then Stafford.

Yeah, the worse your starting QB is, the better (and luckier) the rest of your team needs to be to have a solid shot at a superbowl, but when you don't have a QB, you end up dumping poo poo tons of resources to try to find one, so building the rest of that team is harder. Dumping average and above QB's is just a fool's errand.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kalli posted:

It's really dumb.

Like, yeah, he's not the best QB in the league, but look at who's winning Superbowls.

Peyton (2015 version) was a smart but terrible QB.
Wilson was showing flashes, but was not the QB he's grown into in '13.
Flacco and Eli are both worse quarterbacks then Stafford.

Yeah, the worse your starting QB is, the better (and luckier) the rest of your team needs to be to have a solid shot at a superbowl, but when you don't have a QB, you end up dumping poo poo tons of resources to try to find one, so building the rest of that team is harder. Dumping average and above QB's is just a fool's errand.

I love the people saying "why didn't we just dump him and draft a new one?" That's worked out so well for Denver, Houston, and Cleveland recently, right?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

xsf421 posted:

I love the people saying "why didn't we just dump him and draft a new one?" That's worked out so well for Denver, Houston, and Cleveland recently, right?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Now that Stafford's hit his payday, let's check in with his backup:

https://twitter.com/NateAtkins_/status/902575553257119744

:lol:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

From https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-detroit-lions-1798382848

quote:

Fun Fact: Stafford is 5-46 against winning teams.

Yeah... have fun with that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

It's a cute stat but ultimately meaningless since it's devoid of context. Stafford's been playing on a team that was bad for a long time, and for most of the stretch of 2009-2013 he and Calvin Johnson were the only two people making them even remotely competitive. Going down the "What about WINS" road just takes you to Mark Sanchez, who was drafted the same year and has four playoff wins, and you don't see anyone bursting down the door to sign him these days.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kpatra/status/902516730890735617

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/902511872313786368

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/902509925137567746

Suffice it to say, Staff deserves every goddamn dollar.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 29, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It all depends on whether you see the Lions as a couple pieces away from contention or a dumpster fire heading into yet another rebuilding phase.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BGrifter posted:

It all depends on whether you see the Lions as a couple pieces away from contention or a dumpster fire heading into yet another rebuilding phase.

Stafford's 29. Even if you're going into a rebuilding phase, why would you want to tank? So you can draft another QB?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Lions are definitely 2-3 good players away from being a consistent playoff contender. I don't know what you think is a "dumpster fire" about that team, except possibly the management repeatedly driving away their best players.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
being a consistent playoff contender in the NFC isn't really that big a deal considering all like half the conference is full of useless failures.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

mastershakeman posted:

being a consistent playoff contender in the NFC isn't really that big a deal considering all like half the conference is full of useless failures.

Maybe but when you haven't won a playoff game since 91 you try not to let that get you down.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Even if you think Stafford is average, I think you have to keep him around if you want any prayer of attracting free agents without paying overinflated amounts for them. Plus, keeping people coming to games.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Abugadu posted:

Even if you think Stafford is average, I think you have to keep him around if you want any prayer of attracting free agents without paying overinflated amounts for them. Plus, keeping people coming to games.

Stafford is not Average though, he has produced a lot pretty consistently throughout his career. He hasn't been below 4000 yards passing since 2010 and throws more touchdowns than turnovers. That is worth a lot in this league, if you have him you hold onto him until he becomes a liablity.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Abugadu posted:

Seems reasonable. I don't really have strong feelings one way or another about Stafford, he's ok. Probably in the top third of starting NFL quarterbacks, probably not top five. I don't think it's a total no brainer that he's worth the biggest QB contract in the league, but I'm open to the idea it's an acceptable price to pay for a stable above-average QB.

Maybe I'm buying into the Vikings hype a bit too much, but I see them getting better and the Packers remaining the Packers. I might be overrating Minnesota and underrating Detroit.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Seems reasonable. I don't really have strong feelings one way or another about Stafford, he's ok. Probably in the top third of starting NFL quarterbacks, probably not top five. I don't think it's a total no brainer that he's worth the biggest QB contract in the league, but I'm open to the idea it's an acceptable price to pay for a stable above-average QB.

Maybe I'm buying into the Vikings hype a bit too much, but I see them getting better and the Packers remaining the Packers. I might be overrating Minnesota and underrating Detroit.

It won't be the biggest for very long. I think a few big names are coming up next off-season that should beat Stafford's contract.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Stafford contract was inevitable from the moment we drafted him in that ridiculous rookie contract era. The Lions had no leverage at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quarterback contracts are impossible, there's like 12 decent quarterbacks in the nfl and you need to cling to them like grim death even if they aren't quite good enough because the choice is between them and this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My dad's cousin who always has inane sports opinions thinks the Lions should see if they can get three impact players and two firsts for Stafford and roll with Jake Rudock.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

xsf421 posted:

It won't be the biggest for very long. I think a few big names are coming up next off-season that should beat Stafford's contract.

Cousins is probably the big one. Honestly, the Lions probably got lucky that Washington hosed up their negotiations this offseason-if Cousins had managed to sign a "New Biggest Contract (TM)", that probably would've pushed Stafford's deal even higher.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Drafting Jake Rudock is the most evil thing that Bob Quinn has ever done.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i'd gladly pay matt stafford $27m to be fat and good for the vikings.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jake Rudock is a proven winner, you can't teach that

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Flikken posted:

Stafford is not Average though, he has produced a lot pretty consistently throughout his career. He hasn't been below 4000 yards passing since 2010 and throws more touchdowns than turnovers. That is worth a lot in this league, if you have him you hold onto him until he becomes a liablity.

Oh I agree, I'm just saying that the Lions have p much no choice but to pay him a ton because of the situation.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I wonder how far a team like Houston would go to make a trade for Stafford if the Lions stumble out the gate and decide it's time to rebuild.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Flikken posted:

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/902557860713816064

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Matt Stafford: Has a soul.

Andy Dalton: Does not have a soul.

Game point, Stafford.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gonz posted:

Matt Stafford: Has a soul.

Andy Dalton: Does not have a soul.

Game point, Stafford.

Stafford also can play in primetime

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Flikken posted:

Have you seen the Lions on national TV? They do better than Cincinnati, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

Lions Playoffs wins with Stafford: 0.

• Locked thread