Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

How do Klingons do decon gel?

Probably just a radiation booth.

That or gently caress you and if you die from an infection you were weak and deserved it QUAPLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whatever that line is supposed to mean it's really clunky.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

vermin posted:

It's called blood decon gel, but nobody's sure if that means it has blood in it somehow or it's just red.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Powered Descent posted:

the reboot of Battlestar Galactica look eyeroll-worthy.

it was though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i sure hope those sexy blonde lady robots dont kill me

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

shadok posted:

It means "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Klingon children."

Colonel Phillip Green did nothing wrong!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

shadok posted:

It means "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Klingon children."

"We need breathing room!"
"Earth, Hitler, 1938."
"I beg your pardon?"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Fun fact: Scottish Rapey Ghost Ronin was MOTHER loving DRACULA IN THE MONSTER SQUAD.

McSpanky posted:

"We need breathing room!"
"Earth, Hitler, 1938."
"I beg your pardon?"

I always wanted Chang to be like "Who's this Hitler dude in your ancient history? He sounds interesting. I stopped with your pathetic history after Shakespeare died."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jeeves posted:

Fun fact: Scottish Rapey Ghost Ronin was MOTHER loving DRACULA IN THE MONSTER SQUAD.

I always wanted Chang to be like "Who's this Hitler dude in your ancient history? He sounds interesting. I stopped with your pathetic history after Shakespeare died."

Maybe it's because I'm going through DS9 right now, but this sounds more like a Dukat line, tbh. I can't hear it in anything but Marc Alaimo's voice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Maybe it's because I'm going through DS9 right now, but this sounds more like a Dukat line, tbh. I can't hear it in anything but Marc Alaimo's voice.

"Who is thissss ... Hitler you mention? He sounds interesting."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

vermin posted:

If it has alcohol in it, they probably drink it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

"Who is thissss ... Hitler you mention? He sounds interesting."

*turns into an energy being and impregnates Betsy Ross*

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

vermin posted:

Very carefully.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think it was explicitly said during that time period, but I thought it was always implied that the Klingons were threatened by the Federation's method of expansion. They saw it as cowardly as opposed to conquering worlds outright.

I think it was less "threatened" and more just contesting where the borders were. The Klingons wanted to expand into certain systems and the Federation was either already there or moving in on it at the same time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a little of both.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I dunno, seems to me like the theme of the show has something to do with war starting because of cultural fear and they're amping up the alienness of the Klingons to help tell that story. :shrug: If it turns out it's just an arbitrary change it it'll be sort of dumb but assuming it actually has a dramatic purpose I kind of like it so far.

If it was just the Klingons I could see that, but its everything. The ship looks more Star Wars than Star Trek is a big one for me as well. Things just look more clunky than smooth sci-fi that Trek is associated with. It's a Steve Jobs/Elon Musk future, where everything is clean and has no sharp edges.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

vermin posted:

They just boil themselves.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Night Terrors. Guessing it won't be as scary as the title.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"There's life on board, but something is strange"

Well I guess it's more helpful than she usually is

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

One of the bodies on the ship was killed by a phaser, which surprised me because I didn't think phasers could leave dead bodies behind.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't tell if the description of the bodies is implying they all tried to kill each other

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it was less "threatened" and more just contesting where the borders were. The Klingons wanted to expand into certain systems and the Federation was either already there or moving in on it at the same time.

Someone once explained it better than I could, but the political situation in the Trek galaxy plays like a 4x game.

Theres military factions doing military stuff, there's economic factions doing economic stuff, and the Federation just sits there, quietly doing a cultural/scientific victory path.

It's not that the military and economic groups are waving their hands unconcernedly, far from it: they know the Federation has a good chance at winning. There's an underlying assumption that the other races should be thanking their lucky stars that the Federation is genuinely kind and peaceful while teching up, because when they are forced to pivot to another route, it doesn't end well for their enemy. They've got horrifying weapons that they invented while trying to get a +1 energy out of a tile.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I can't tell if the description of the bodies is implying they all tried to kill each other

Oh Crusher just clarified and said this explicitly.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can't tell if O'Brien and his wife are affected by the space madness or their marriage is just lovely.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A lot of people apparently hate Night Terrors, including like everyone who made it, but I've always thought it was the best of TNG's horror outings by a country mile. Slow, atmospheric and just creepy and weird.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The parts without Troi are fine

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

A lot of people apparently hate Night Terrors, including like everyone who made it, but I've always thought it was the best of TNG's horror outings by a country mile. Slow, atmospheric and just creepy and weird.

Memory Alpha posted:

Director Les Landau blocked this episode out and prefers not to discuss it, for reasons he won't elaborate. It had something to do with Troi floating in space. (The Official Star Trek: The Next Generation Magazine Vol. 21, p. 45)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Terrors_(episode)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

skasion posted:

The creeping dread is good so far, especially because of the contrast with how the show usually operates. Although nothing's been close to as scary as Troi's mirror scene in Clues.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crusher: "We have to get away from the Brittain"
Picard: "We're taking it in tow, "

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MisterBibs posted:

Someone once explained it better than I could, but the political situation in the Trek galaxy plays like a 4x game.

Theres military factions doing military stuff, there's economic factions doing economic stuff, and the Federation just sits there, quietly doing a cultural/scientific victory path.

It's not that the military and economic groups are waving their hands unconcernedly, far from it: they know the Federation has a good chance at winning. There's an underlying assumption that the other races should be thanking their lucky stars that the Federation is genuinely kind and peaceful while teching up, because when they are forced to pivot to another route, it doesn't end well for their enemy. They've got horrifying weapons that they invented while trying to get a +1 energy out of a tile.

Technology discovered: Soliton Wave

- Allow ships to enter warp without warp drive
- Doesn't work
- Also destroys entire planets; almost impossible to defend against

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Crusher: "We have to get away from the Brittain"
Picard: "We're taking it in tow, "

:ughh:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of the bodies on the ship was killed by a phaser, which surprised me because I didn't think phasers could leave dead bodies behind.

You don't remember the time Riker shot that guy in the face in the first season and his head blew up like a Polish sausage in a microwave?

Nerd talk, there's something like sixteen power levels on TNG phasers. The first three are stuns of increasing intensity, the next four just burn people to death, and everything above that vaporizes them. I think at level 16 you can basically blow the side off a mountain, which is handy if you're lost in the wilderness and need to do some emergency fracking.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Picard humiliating himself

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This probably would have freaked me out as a kid.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I think at level 16 you can basically blow the side off a mountain, which is handy if you're lost in the wilderness and need to do some emergency fracking.

Given how much energy must be in the batteries of those things it's always amusing to see someone set it up to overload and act as a grenade, and all it does is fizzle out like a dud firework in a console instead of nuke the ship

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh their pineal glands don't work.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo is Worf about to commit harakiri

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uh, well,

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like how they're using so many dark sets but there's a reason for all of them, like the unmanned Brittain, the medical wing where they're sleeping, Worf's ceremonial red light, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I've always been interested in lucid dreaming so this is cool.