Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

the talent deficit posted:

typescript is a compiler that produces javascript. what if typescript was a tool that could type check an (enriched) javascript AST? then you could also use the typescript type checker on your hobby language that compiles to javascript AST.

this doesn't work because nobody wants to look at error messages about code that got generated, instead of the code they wrote. It's a considerably harder problem than you're giving it credit for. (I agree with the general idea you're going for though...)

quote:

consider also async/await. in c# (and probably most other implementations) async/await is just some annotations that tell the compiler to convert imperative code into state machines. in a theoretical AST first language that allowed arbitrary annotations you could build your own async/await tooling (assuming the language has the primitives necessary, of course) without needing changes to the compiler or the parser

you also have the expression problem to worry about. async/await introduces new productions and new analysis (tranformations). Put multiple of those together and things go boom, unless you have some solution...

so it's not just "gosh expose an ast guys" it's a fundamental problem

quote:

there's a million things you can do if you have direct access to an AST that is designed with extensibility in mind. the problem with applying this to current languages is that either their AST wasn't designed with this in mind (scheme, lisp, elixir) or that their AST just isn't readibly accessible. or both

"extensible language framework" are the keywords you're probably looking for. imo this is maybe the coolest: http://melt.cs.umn.edu/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

p much anything by cyrus omar too

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~comar/

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
yep, Omar is cool. I guess also mbeddr is worth a mention too: http://mbeddr.com/

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
but afaict you're still begging the question about these amazing things available if you could poke at an AST that you somehow can't do with llvm?

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
well, the idea i was getting at was composition.

you can modify llvm in multiple different ways but then if you want to put them together, that's a "good luck have fun lol" task to an experienced compiler engineer, never mind regular programmers

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Do you just want Roslyn or something?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

havelock posted:

Do you just want Roslyn or something?

truffle/graal is probably a better example, but not tied to a single vm

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

crazypenguin posted:

this doesn't work because nobody wants to look at error messages about code that got generated, instead of the code they wrote. It's a considerably harder problem than you're giving it credit for. (I agree with the general idea you're going for though...)

i don't think it would be easy or even necessarily better than what we have now. i'd just like to see a mainstream language attempt it to see how it goes

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

right, that's why scheme is not really a great example. you can't really build a type system as a macro
this is a funny complaint, because racket actually ships with a really cool refinement type system that's afaik built entirely on the language's native extension support.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

i don't think it would be easy or even necessarily better than what we have now. i'd just like to see a mainstream language attempt it to see how it goes

have you considered that multiple grad students have likely attempted this project, and none of their languages have become mainstream? perhaps this is because most people care only about their compiler's input and output, and they don't give two shits about the intermediate representations used in the optimization pipeline? if you really want this feature, maybe you are taking code generation a little too far?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as a specific example, you can absolutely do async/await with code transformation — ultimately, what is a compiler but code transformation? — but you're probably going to get really really poo poo results if you do

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just to make sure i'm not misunderstanding here, what is it exactly you're looking for?

1. a program that takes as input another program, runs it through the parsing stage of the compiler to produce an AST, then does some transformation on this AST? this is fine and good, the easiest way to get started is with LLVM, it is really not that hard to add a transformation to the pipeline

2. a program that pre-processes another input program, replacing custom syntax elements with standard syntax, so they can be processed by the standard toolchain? and it does this by presenting to you a truly abstract AST that supports extending the syntax of the language? this is a nasty thing to do to readers of your program. camlp4 for ocaml is one such system, but it is impossible to understand, and even the phds who came up with it have moved on

3. a program that has access to its own AST at runtime, also extensible like in (2), allowing programmers to build out a crazy macro system that manipulates the program in a way that cannot even necessarily be macro-expanded into the concrete syntax of the base language? this is perhaps the truest expression of pure evil that has ever crossed my mind

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think OP might be using the term AST where they should be using something else

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i don't know how much clearer i can be. i want to see an AST designed for accessibility and extensibility, not coupled to any particular syntax or compiler

something like llvm ir but at a higher level of abstraction and not tied to any particular codegen. truffle/graal is close to what i am talking about but it's still designed as a shared low (ish) level input to a JIT/interpreter

at a practical level, i guess what i'd like to see is a language that goes from textual representation (syntax) to an AST that can then be used as input to arbitrary functions that can return transformed AST or compile/execute the program. if you like you can think of this as adding arbitrary codegen passes or macro expansion to the compiler but compilation/execution aren't the only time these are interesting. consider an IDE that can continually run linters, type checkers and other tooling passes as you code. or a step through debugger that can be started from any arbitrary entry point with any arbitrary arguments. or a tool that can fuzz or generate property checks for any function on demand. or a type checker that can check only subsets of your program. or a taint checker that can detect impure functions. i realize most of these are possible today but the amount of effort required to do them is often so high that in practice they don't actually exist

from a users perspective the language would look just like any other language but would probably have a lot of optional syntax elements like type declarations and annotations:

code:
fun foo(bar, baz) { bar + baz }
and

code:
@pure
fun foo(bar :: int, baz :: int) :: int { bar + baz }
might have identical meaning to a particular executor but the latter would be valid input to a type checker or a taint checker. the former could also possibly be transformed into the latter via a type inference check or a purity inference check

and again, i realize there are a ton of obstacles with this approach. i'm not putting it forward as some panacea for all programmings problems. i'm not even saying it's a good idea. i just think it's an underexplored area

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just to make sure i'm not misunderstanding here, what is it exactly you're looking for?

quote:

1. a program that takes as input another program, runs it through the parsing stage of the compiler to produce an AST, then does some transformation on this AST? this is fine and good, the easiest way to get started is with LLVM, it is really not that hard to add a transformation to the pipeline

this is a start, but see above

quote:

2. a program that pre-processes another input program, replacing custom syntax elements with standard syntax, so they can be processed by the standard toolchain? and it does this by presenting to you a truly abstract AST that supports extending the syntax of the language? this is a nasty thing to do to readers of your program. camlp4 for ocaml is one such system, but it is impossible to understand, and even the phds who came up with it have moved on

this is closer, but the language would be specified at the level of the AST. you could have custom languages that produce standard AST and maybe even pretty printers that can convert AST back to some language, but there's no canonical syntax. just AST.

quote:

3. a program that has access to its own AST at runtime, also extensible like in (2), allowing programmers to build out a crazy macro system that manipulates the program in a way that cannot even necessarily be macro-expanded into the concrete syntax of the base language? this is perhaps the truest expression of pure evil that has ever crossed my mind

i don't see why you couldn't build an interpreter that can manipulate AST at runtime, but no, i want the AST to be it's own distinct thing, not just something you can modify via a macro at compile time or via weird reflection magic at runtime. there's already examples of those in the wild (reflection on the jvm is kind of close, elixirs macro system is really close) and they suck

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

something like llvm ir but at a higher level of abstraction and not tied to any particular codegen. truffle/graal is close to what i am talking about but it's still designed as a shared low (ish) level input to a JIT/interpreter

right, so you just want "this obscure research project, except way better. also, actually usable" good luck friend

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

this is closer, but the language would be specified at the level of the AST. you could have custom languages that produce standard AST and maybe even pretty printers that can convert AST back to some language, but there's no canonical syntax. just AST.

so how do i read the program?

i mean *i* can read llvm ir but i'm pretty sure that is not a widely held skill. how much higher level can you get without assuming particular language features?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so how do i read the program?

i mean *i* can read llvm ir but i'm pretty sure that is not a widely held skill. how much higher level can you get without assuming particular language features?

you write a function from some syntax to AST (or use someone else's). no one* works directly in the AST

* some idiots will work directly in the AST

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

right, so you just want "this obscure research project, except way better. also, actually usable" good luck friend

i think i was pretty upfront about that, yeah

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

you write a function from some syntax to AST (or use someone else's). no one* works directly in the AST

* some idiots will work directly in the AST

that's how i write my program, but how do i read your program, which quite possibly uses language features that cannot be (efficiently) expressed in my concrete syntax of choice? ultimately it sounds like everyone will have to work in or at least understand the AST level, and i think that may be too much to ask of programmers who were not enamored with their compilers class

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that's how i write my program, but how do i read your program, which quite possibly uses language features that cannot be (efficiently) expressed in my concrete syntax of choice? ultimately it sounds like everyone will have to work in or at least understand the AST level, and i think that may be too much to ask of programmers who were not enamored with their compilers class

you either write an AST -> your syntax pretty printer or you use whichever syntax i chose, i guess

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't get what the problem we're solving is. So you've got some ability to represent an AST. In various stages of annotation, perhaps. Now what?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just use m expressions

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fart simpson posted:

just use m expressions

m'expression

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

VikingofRock posted:

m'expression

tips paren

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean, there are plenty of languages that allow exactly that kind of static manipulation of programs, with most languages in the lisp family being an obvious example; i am not an expert in using them but i feel confident there's some way to emit static diagnostics from a lisp macro. if you want that + a normal type system i'm sure there are lisp-like languages that does that, the primary societal purpose of lisp is to safely occupy lisp hackers by presenting them with an endless sequence of obscure lisp feature interactions to implement. if you want this in a source syntax that's not literally already a tree in prefix notation then that's more challenging because your dsl request probably means literally adding new grammatical productions to the language, which i know you can do in agda but i don't know if agda has a macro system to go with it. there are also things like template haskell but that's quite a bit less powerful than you're talking about. if you want to do a cfg-based analysis then i mean that's literally writing a compiler pass and you should probably instead look at languages with specific features designed to directly support common use cases for such things like linear/affine type systems or maybe session types

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

sarehu posted:

I don't get what the problem we're solving is. So you've got some ability to represent an AST. In various stages of annotation, perhaps. Now what?

copying obnoxiously unreadable Haskell code from a PL blog and pasting it to your IDE which turns it into automatically understandable Java

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Max Facetime posted:

copying obnoxiously unreadable Haskell code from a PL blog and pasting it to your IDE which turns it into automatically understandable Java

intellij does this with java and kotlin

you can paste in java and it'll auto-convert it to kotlin or vice versa. it's pretty sick

e: that said, doing this with languages with different standard libraries and poo poo aint an ast problem. like, i think you could do this with every language that runs on the jvm but haskell->java is a whole different problem

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the problem with your thinking is that you think that typescript already operates mostly on an ast.

an ast is only one intermediate representation of your code, and honestly, it's not even a good one. from an ast you have to do control and data flow analysis. that's two more transformations of the ast to a new representation.

the hard part of the language is rarely the parser (unless you're compiling c++). you autogenerate that, maybe add some error messages, and move on.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Arcsech posted:

intellij does this with java and kotlin

you can paste in java and it'll auto-convert it to kotlin or vice versa. it's pretty sick

it'll also translate to Scala

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh good, some random dude is going to add integral generic arguments to swift, this ought to turn out well

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

rjmccall posted:

oh good, some random dude is going to add integral generic arguments to swift, this ought to turn out well

So, as someone who is knows very little about this, what's wrong with integral generic arguments? They seem pretty useful to me in C++, for example.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s a huge and complicated feature and this dude has no idea how to do any of it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

it’s a huge and complicated feature and this dude has no idea how to do any of it

whats so complicated about it? (honest question)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

whats so complicated about it? (honest question)

not super familiar with swift specifically, but my questions for an implementation would be: what operations are allowed on integral type vars? are there any constraints? how do you denote an integral argument versus a type? can integral arguments be inferred?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i forget do you still work on swift or not

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what's an integral generic argument? i tried googling.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 30, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
a generic argument that's a (numeric) value instead of a type. like say, you have a dynamic list of poops and it's list<poop>, but a statically sized array of poops is array<poop, 420>: first generic argument is a type (the type of array elements), the second is an integral argument (the number of array elements)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think its like Array<3> so you know it only has 3 elements or Matrix<3,5> etc

and the compiler can error-check/optimize based on that

e: :woop: i guessed it right