Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i ordered a couple from monoprice anyhow because there's a 20% off sale and i needed an hdmi cable and a couple micro usb cables anyhow. i'll report back on whether or not they quick charge once they arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Phthisis posted:

I've heard good things about Anker cables (on amazon) and I own one and it works but I don't really use any usb c devices enough to vouch for how good it actually is.

I have an Anker portable battery and an Anker solar charger. Both are awesome and support quick-charging, so I would assume their cables do the same.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm looking for a lightweight, hopefully water resistant, coat with hood that can fold into itself. One of the things I truly hate is being caught in cold rain and New Mexico's monsoon rains have been pretty chilly this year. That or I'm just getting more intolerant of the cold. I asked in YLLS's hiking thread but nobody answered.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My parents are looking for a new refrigerator. Needs to be at least 69" H x 35" W x 30" D, side-by-side style, with an ice maker, one produce drawer, and one meat drawer. Also needs to work and be good, but doesn't need to be fancy. Budget is around $1000 or less if we can manage.

We just had a carton of milk go sour, so we may have to buy soon. Any help would be appreciated.

The Sweethome likes this Whirlpool model, though it's a little out of your range. They do recommend other models at other price points if you're flexible on features.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone know the best place to buy usb c cables? just upgraded to a phone that uses them and would like some extras

I have also had generally good luck with Anker products, though I don't know how their usb C cables specifically stack up. The scary thing is that lots of companies are making lovely usb Cs that can fry your device. The good news is Benson Leung has spent a ridiculous amount of time testing a shitload of them to see which ones are safe. You can check what he has to say here. I don't remember specifically who he works for, but it's techie enough that I would trust his judgment.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'm looking for a lightweight, hopefully water resistant, coat with hood that can fold into itself. One of the things I truly hate is being caught in cold rain and New Mexico's monsoon rains have been pretty chilly this year. That or I'm just getting more intolerant of the cold. I asked in YLLS's hiking thread but nobody answered.

Try asking in the men's /women's fashion threads, they usually are more active /quick about responding and I'm sure people will have suggestions!

Otherwise, Google 'Uniqlo Pocketable Parka' for one option. They're usually pretty good, but not really a hiking jacket.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

What's your budget and how packable do you need it to get? For around $100 the Marmot Precip is generally pretty well regarded. If you're willing to spend more are Arcteryx makes some that pack down incredibly tiny, but sacrifice a bit of durability.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi!

I'm looking for a little bluetooth speaker that is usable as a shower radio and also suitable for playing rain noises in a bedroom.

I've found the ue wonderboom but wanted to check if there's something better.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The wonderboom is good, as well as the latest JBL offerings of the Flip 4 and Charge 3, though the Charge 3 is bass-heavy af.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good pillow? I'm a side and back sleeper (if that matters), and I've traditionally stacked two pillows on top of each other to accommodate side sleeping. My pillows are flat again, and it's time to upgrade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Niemat posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good pillow? I'm a side and back sleeper (if that matters), and I've traditionally stacked two pillows on top of each other to accommodate side sleeping. My pillows are flat again, and it's time to upgrade.

I have a now discontinued Linenspa Zoned Memory foam pillow from Amazon. It was relatively cheap and has lasted perfected through two years of my fat sweaty head. It's the most comfortable pillow I've ever owned and stays cool. They have newer versions of the same holed memory foam design and the reviews seem consistent. I can't recommend them enough.

e: forgot to mention I'm a side sleeper and this pillow hasn't flattened at all

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Niemat posted:

This is not mine, but I believe the original requires archives.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

bongwizzard posted:

What's your budget and how packable do you need it to get? For around $100 the Marmot Precip is generally pretty well regarded. If you're willing to spend more are Arcteryx makes some that pack down incredibly tiny, but sacrifice a bit of durability.

$100 is a reasonable budget, so I'll go to REI when I have money and take a good look at it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Holy poo poo.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo.

YEAH, uhhhhh... Wow. I'm definitely looking for something a little less high tech...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So I want a portable, battery powered speaker, but with a screen and the ability to take an SD card. So like an ipod glued to a speaker or something like that. Bluetooth is a pain as I don't want to leave my phone behind when I have to walk away from the speaker. I have found a few random china brand ones, but nothing with a screen.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

bongwizzard posted:

So I want a portable, battery powered speaker, but with a screen and the ability to take an SD card. So like an ipod glued to a speaker or something like that. Bluetooth is a pain as I don't want to leave my phone behind when I have to walk away from the speaker. I have found a few random china brand ones, but nothing with a screen.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

What do you want to do with the screen? I think you might be describing an Android tablet with an SD slot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

lowcrabdiet posted:

What do you want to do with the screen? I think you might be describing an Android tablet with an SD slot.

I want to sift through 128g of music with it. And yea, I literally want like an MP3 player mashed into a speaker.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Have you considered a Chromecast Audio? As long as your phone remains connected to the same wifi network it will continue to stream.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Have you considered a Chromecast Audio? As long as your phone remains connected to the same wifi network it will continue to stream.

Sadly that will not work, I wanna use this thing in spots with no wifi or where my wifi is from a hotspot with limited range.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

There's an outdoor gear site called sunnysports that has usually has nice sales on rain jackets. A poster above recommended the PreCip jacket and it's pretty good, but unless you're wearing something like a fleece or a sweater under it, you're gonna stay cold. Either wear a lightly insulated Gore-Tex jacket (check out Arc'teryx Fission SV jackets) or wear a layering system.

Good luck!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Julet Esqu posted:

The Sweethome likes this Whirlpool model, though it's a little out of your range. They do recommend other models at other price points if you're flexible on features.

I have also had generally good luck with Anker products, though I don't know how their usb C cables specifically stack up. The scary thing is that lots of companies are making lovely usb Cs that can fry your device. The good news is Benson Leung has spent a ridiculous amount of time testing a shitload of them to see which ones are safe. You can check what he has to say here. I don't remember specifically who he works for, but it's techie enough that I would trust his judgment.

Leung works at Google afaik. And yeah USB-C used to be a dumpster fire. Still kinda is I guess. I would not buy anything USB-C unless it got checked by Leung or some other guy whose name I don't recall.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

bongwizzard posted:

I want to sift through 128g of music with it. And yea, I literally want like an MP3 player mashed into a speaker.

why not just get something with aux in?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

why not just get something with aux in?

Because I don't want to carry around two things that both need to be charged separately, I just want to box that stores and plays music at a reasonable volume with as painless as possible way of sorting through all of it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I want to walk around my small house and talk on the phone without carrying it, because if I do I'll do that ear-shoulder phone cradling thing and that's apparently causing my crippling pain.

Can someone recommend me a Bluetooth headset? It would also be cool if I could use it to listen to audio, so earbuds on both sides would be neat as a bonus.

Thank you.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I want to walk around my small house and talk on the phone without carrying it, because if I do I'll do that ear-shoulder phone cradling thing and that's apparently causing my crippling pain.

Can someone recommend me a Bluetooth headset? It would also be cool if I could use it to listen to audio, so earbuds on both sides would be neat as a bonus.

Thank you.

Earbud: https://www.amazon.com/QCY-Bluetoot...ooth+earbud+qcy

Headset: https://www.amazon.com/QCY-Sweatpro...eadphones&psc=1

I've got both and so far they've worked and sounded great - especially considering the price. Both of these are highly recommended around here and elsewhere.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you.

I've been using these for almost a year. https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Wireless-Conduction-Headphones/dp/B018XNGO5A
Well worth the cost.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

I can recommend these as well. I use them primarily at work to listen to podcasts and I can still hear a co-worker if they need me or if the phone rings. They are very comfortable and have convenient play/pause and volume buttons. I haven't used them much for calls, but on the occasions I did they sounded great.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thirded. I use them for cycling as, as long as I don't have my music going full blast, I can hear cars and traffic on the roads. Sound quality is decent, voice seems to pick up well (never had any problems on what limited handful of phone calls I make) and seem to withstand rain and stormy weather and sweat.

I got mine from a groupon deal thing a long time ago so it was considerably cheaper than that 130 dollars though.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Looking for a decent daily commuter bike. Traveling about 4 miles one way to and from work over mostly-flat city terrain. Budget $200ish.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

200 may buy you a razor scooter! or find a bike coop and pray they have something decent that'll fit you

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

People have mentioned buying decent bikes for very little at Goodwill in other threads.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bookkeeper posted:

Looking for a decent daily commuter bike. Traveling about 4 miles one way to and from work over mostly-flat city terrain. Budget $200ish.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627612

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

bookkeeper posted:

Creep on Craigslist and put some of that budget money towards a decent lock. Look especially at the end of the month, since that's when people who are moving are getting rid of their stuff.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

They also have cheap bikes on nashbar.com. My dad just bought a gravel grinder off that site, it comes almost completely assembled.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm looking for a device that'll make it easier to walk three dogs at once; just using three separate retractable leashes doesn't cut it. It needs to work for differently sized dogs, we've got a couple tiny ones and one larger one.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Running tights that don't fall down? I have a bigger rear end, I guess, because the tights I have unilaterally end up sagging after the first half mile. Men's or women's doesn't matter, but I don't have a dick, so room for one in front is not welcome.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Marius Pontmercy posted:

Running tights that don't fall down? I have a bigger rear end, I guess, because the tights I have unilaterally end up sagging after the first half mile. Men's or women's doesn't matter, but I don't have a dick, so room for one in front is not welcome.

I got a hank hill rear end and have the same issue, I thought a bug one would help them stay up?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I think it's because there isn't enough fabric to stay up over my bubble rear end.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Well, the ones from Hot Chillys were the worst for no-butt, maybe they will be better for lotta-butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a TON of pieces of art that I'd like to get framed.
Most of them are in odd dimensions because I typically by from indie artists and god forbid they keep to normal conventions.

Where is a place online where I can buy frames with custom dimensions and not have to pay $100 per?
Looking to keep it below $50 each since I only need simple black frames.