Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

hope no one disables shadows in an effort for more frames

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantFunRabbitChocolateRain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Here's a controversial counter opinion which will get poo poo on: If you've sold this many copies of a game and are holding $350k tournaments, you aren't in Early Access anymore. "Early Access" is just a phrase to hide behind so they don't have to admit the game is buggy.

This is my biggest hang up, as well. I am so god awful at fighting that I run from everything. Zharky is a little too close to the action for my tastes. But I've got to get in there. I even drop in the most populated areas to get into fights and be aggressive, but after getting killed a time or two I find myself regressing. Have to just keep forcing the issue until I'm winning more fights than I'm losing.

And while I'm quoting people. I've been recording myself with OBS so I can do an instant replay of battles or deaths. Got the 'jump' on a guy at the ruins the other day and went through like, 2 magazines and 2 shotgun shells on him. I swear I think I only actually hit him with the final shotgun blast, even though in the heat of it I'm sure I'd have been yelling like your friend "WHAT! I HIT HIM! NOOOO!!!" - but the frame by frame in VLC shows clearly, nope, you're shooting rocks or over his shoulder bro.

Something that takes a long time to get used to (especially when you're getting "not bad" at the game) is how many loving bullets it takes to kill someone. You can literally hit someone 5 times with an AR and they can survive and that's saying nothing of the smaller caliber guns like the UZI which can take more than 8 bodyshots to kill somebody.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

First ever solo dinner: Dropped at school, got 2 kills there. Went to Rozhok, cleared that out too. Ended up going back to where I started. Actually really easy win. If people were a bit more observant I probably would have died a couple times. Like, I was on the path up to the water tower above Rozhok and suddenly a guy started shooting from the guard tower up there and didn't notice me ten feet away. Best part is I didn't even mean to play that long. I accidentally dropped without a friend so I decided school was the easiest path back to the main menu.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Zo posted:

it's actually very obviously still early access lol

they're still working on a ton of basic game functionality including bullet pen, vaulting, more than one map, etc. the "tourney" was an invitational, i.e., a big commercial. dota 2 had one of those before the game was available at all, for like a million dollars!

All of those things could be considered conscious design decisions and not evidence of "early access"

Also, the fact that content is being added isn't unique to early access as well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any additional game modes, weapons or is it mostly just additional polish at this point?

Is there even a roadmap?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

mechaet posted:

A super-high-quality set of headphones and a standalone DAC work absolute magic in helping you directionalize sound.

Problem is, a super-high-quality set of headphones is like 300 bucks.

The standalone DAC I use is another 100 bucks on top of that.

I'm using STAX electrostatic headphones, but they don't make me any better than my $200 sennheisers. They sure do sound nice though!

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/BraveRefinedQueleaKeyboardCat

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TJChap2840 posted:

All of those things could be considered conscious design decisions and not evidence of "early access"

Also, the fact that content is being added isn't unique to early access as well.

Them not being included isn't a "conscious design decision" because everything in that list is actively and openly under development to be added to the game in the future.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

mechaet posted:

A super-high-quality set of headphones and a standalone DAC work absolute magic in helping you directionalize sound.

Problem is, a super-high-quality set of headphones is like 300 bucks.

The standalone DAC I use is another 100 bucks on top of that.

Please explain how a stand-alone DAC does anything for directional sound.

I mean, in general DACs have the stink of audiophile bullshit all about them, but OK sure maybe they provide some ineffable quality to the perception of sounds (they don't though), whatever. But how on earth can it affect directionality.

Even for the headphones themselves, I don't think their quality actually makes much of a difference beyond noise isolation (which certainly does make a difference just because you actually need to be able to hear clearly).

Unless I'm totally wrong in my understanding of how sound direction works in stereo, it's 100% up to how the source audio is processed by the game engine. Nothing you do outside of that is going to make a difference. Maybe the extra bass range can help you pick up really really far away shots though I'm pretty sure the game stops propagating audio altogether beyond very set distances (which are modified by suppressors), but that's still nothing to do with direction.

If you are in a quiet environment and just turn the drat volume up I bet you'll do just fine with a pair of made-for-skype desktop headphone (as long as they are stereo).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I had some of the weirdest duos I've ever seen. The highlight was, after a long losing streak, my partner and I ended up splitting and we went to some places we don't usually go (our default go-to is Yasnaya). I max range fell down on Zharki and the first circled popped up on Novorepnoye, pretty much as far as possible . About one minute left in the timer I hear a car arriving. I decide to run for the car and steal it while they're looting but then I hear shooting and apparently they're trading shots with another duo that had silently arrived earlier.

As I'm walking towards the car a guy in a bike arrives from behind me and starts shooting at them. I knock him, steal his bike and run away towards the circle. Just a few seconds later my bike falls from a mountain floor and I die underneath the ground.

My partner in the meanwhile starts driving an UAV down the eastern road. First circle just closed so he's been 5 minutes in the blue and still up north. He stops the UAV to heal himself and is shot by a guy who's been camping the little hill north of Lipovka, for no real good reason.

I'll just stick to Yasnaya.

Edit: Later on we also met a duo that decide to circle our house in sync with each other like two sharks surrounding their prey. Their timing was so precise that we just waited for them to appear at the window and preshot them to death.

Then three different duos came in and invaded our house. They might have been teaming, might not. They came from different directions, didn't shoot at each other and once in wave after wave of dudes climbed up the stairs dying like cannon fodder until we ran out of ammo and died during reload.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 29, 2017

ngreasy
Aug 1, 2007
laksjdfkljle

Black Griffon posted:

Obsessively so. Occasionally it'll carry over into a match after I change it in the menu, but the next time I star the game it's gone.

Have you ever manually messed with any settings in the .ini's and then set those .ini's to Read Only?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Elentor posted:

Today I had some of the weirdest duos I've ever seen. The highlight was, after a long losing streak, my partner and I ended up splitting and we went to some places we don't usually go (our default go-to is Yasnaya). I max range fell down on Zharki and the first circled popped up on Novorepnoye, pretty much as far as possible . About one minute left in the timer I hear a car arriving. I decide to run for the car and steal it while they're looting but then I hear shooting and apparently they're trading shots with another duo that had silently arrived earlier.

As I'm walking towards the car a guy in a bike arrives from behind me and starts shooting at them. I knock him, steal his bike and run away towards the circle. Just a few seconds later my bike falls from a mountain floor and I die underneath the ground.

North end of the island doesn't see a lot of people dropping on it so it gets wacky with people heading up there trying to get free loot. I like landing Zharki pretty much just to gently caress with the guys who drive all the way up there, it basically turns into Home Alone.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Holy poo poo they scream loud and like girls.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChesterJT posted:

you clicked a twitch link, what did you expect?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ChesterJT posted:

people get excited when something cool happens wow

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Sorry not sorry

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Mr. Wynand posted:

I mean, in general DACs have the stink of audiophile bullshit all about them, but OK sure maybe they provide some ineffable quality to the perception of sounds (they don't though), whatever. But how on earth can it affect directionality.

Even for the headphones themselves, I don't think their quality actually makes much of a difference beyond noise isolation (which certainly does make a difference just because you actually need to be able to hear clearly).

Unless I'm totally wrong in my understanding of how sound direction works in stereo, it's 100% up to how the source audio is processed by the game engine. Nothing you do outside of that is going to make a difference. Maybe the extra bass range can help you pick up really really far away shots though I'm pretty sure the game stops propagating audio altogether beyond very set distances (which are modified by suppressors), but that's still nothing to do with direction.

If you are in a quiet environment and just turn the drat volume up I bet you'll do just fine with a pair of made-for-skype desktop headphone (as long as they are stereo).

I'll admit, the reason for the standalone DAC sounds a lot like audiophile bullshit, until you consider that I'm nearly legally deaf- and therefore incapable of giving any sort of fidelity-based argument in favor of a DAC.

The tl;dr version of my reasoning for it is that with the external DAC, I can reach over, twist a knob, and get thunderous volume on an as-needed basis, say for example when sneaking around someone in a building and trying to figure out where the hell that footstep sound came from. The amplifier really does help, because you can give yourself essentially super-hearing. Encounter over, twist the knob the opposite direction and continue about your business.

Also, were I an audiophile a paltry 100-dollar DAC would probably not be sufficient bragging rights to bore people to tears with at a dinner party. The one I have has amplification, one headphone jack, and a volume knob. That's it. No equalizer, no fancy other crap. Lots of power, no alt-tabbing out to the volume mixer.

The 300-dollar headphones will happily produce quality sound without distortion at that power level, where a lot of the 100-dollar variety will distort making it even harder to figure out what direction that sound just came from, and thereby defeating the purpose of having 4x power available on command. There may be headphones well below my price range that can handle that power, provide that level of sound; I have never heard of them (pun intended).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Another good thing to do is turn sound equalization / normalization on. I think on Realtek sound drivers it's in the properties of your mixer settings or whatever. On my Xonar card which I bought when my on-board sound died it's a setting called "SVN" or Smart Volume Normalization.

Basically it makes quiet sounds louder which makes it much easier to hear footsteps. It does make it slightly more difficult to judge where shots are coming from and how far away they are (but not drastically more difficult). To me the tradeoff is worth it.

Edit: https://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-use-realtek-hds-loudness-equalization-for-easy-volume-control/

You might also be able to get some kind of third party app which'll do the same thing but I haven't looked into it.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 29, 2017

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what's the best way to find people after you win the initial scuffles? is it really as unscientific as "drive around and listen for gunshots"?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

BBJoey posted:

what's the best way to find people after you win the initial scuffles? is it really as unscientific as "drive around and listen for gunshots"?
Airdrops are guaranteed zones for fun, either to use as bait or go for them yourself. Near a blue edge coming in from the direction of a high loot area will usually have a couple of stragglers running through after gorging themselves on loot. Once the circle gets smaller after that every cluster of houses is guaranteed to have a turtle if you're feeling adventurous. 70% of the time going full speed into them will take pubbies by surprise since their fine motor muscles have atrophied from staring at a door, hands clenched and not moving for 30 minutes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

d3c0y2 posted:

Yeah. The people I play with are pretty decent. One guy is a proper loot goblin who's always about fifty metres behind the rest of us trying to fit in looting one more house, but he generally gets over ruled when he asks that we parachute early and slow sail half way across the map. And if he ends up picked off or ganked because he was off alone he generally sticks with us the rest of the night in future games

The only issue is that once we land school or somewhere popular and kill some people they seem invested in the game then. Like oh we won school now we have to win the game, and start playing super conservatively.

Had a random pubbie in our 3 man group insist on early chuting to primorsk rather than fighting at military base. He split off and gave us an play by play of how he was going to get good gear and boat over to grab us.

Instead a different group dropped on the road, rolled into primorsk early, looted the warehouses and shot him out of the sky

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

why are game reviewers so bad at video games?

i looked both of them up on pubgtracker and they both have below a .5 KDR

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Movie maker was discontinued a while back. It's supposed to be replaced but not until later this year. Another reason to not spend actual money.
Not sure if still relevant but I use the built in Photos app from Windows 10 for my shadowplay recordings. Literally right click and 'cut' on the videos' progress bar.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

BBJoey posted:

That's a fine way of finding people. Otherwise, depending on where you loot initially you can watch where people drop relatively close to you, e.g. if you drop school you can watch if people drop Rusty cock and apps. Certain spots on the map are popular (I find this is more true in 3pp where people will drive to a spot they like and wait in said spot for the circle to update), look for people there. The circle forcing people to cross to and from the military island can be used to reason your way to enemies.
Remembering the flight path is a good way to know which side of the circle most people will be located. Once in the circle run along the edge if you have the time. In 1pp I like to move on foot a lot more than in 3pp and just run around looking for people. Stuff like that.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 29, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
remove the tommy gun from airdrops and i might actually go for them more

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

succ posted:

remove the tommy gun from airdrops and i might actually go for them more

Once I was looting in Prim and a crate dropped in the ocean to the west. No boats had spawned on that side but I figured it looked to be relatively close (I was wrong) so I just began swimming. Holy poo poo it took forever and if it had been a tommy gun I would have drowned myself even though it was a squad game.

Despite that experience I find that a lot of early game crates (the first 1-3) can be looted relatively risk free if it drops fairly close to you. Other than the early ones, crates in water are good to loot.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Them not being included isn't a "conscious design decision" because everything in that list is actively and openly under development to be added to the game in the future.

Ya. Overwatch has added multiple new modes and entire new systems for custom games after release.

Was Overwatch in early access?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Incidentally, this is the first time I've ever managed to make use of a molotov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kA1WEID6M

not a faggoty name posted:

Have you ever manually messed with any settings in the .ini's and then set those .ini's to Read Only?

I messed around with them once, but I checked (and just rechecked) and they're no longer read only.

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Not sure if still relevant but I use the built in Photos app from Windows 10 for my shadowplay recordings. Literally right click and 'cut' on the videos' progress bar.

I mean there's a trim option, but I can't find a way to cut sections from the middle of clips.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Shima Honnou posted:

North end of the island doesn't see a lot of people dropping on it so it gets wacky with people heading up there trying to get free loot. I like landing Zharki pretty much just to gently caress with the guys who drive all the way up there, it basically turns into Home Alone.

I love zharki too. Always looking for a reason to drop there in solos or a way to convice buddies to do it ins quads.

Did have a circle end there once after I got everyone to drop there. We looted the whole town and pitched tents. Won the game too as we pretty much all had SKS' and kars. Game ended in a small circle just outside of the town proper.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Very much enjoyed our 1-kill squad win last night with Kleist, Montoya and (I think) ngreasy in the goon discord.

Landed in South George, quite quickly took a boat to North George, circle ended just east of crashed plane, above the small group of houses there... we gradually moved in checking the edges of the circle around us, hearing lots of people fighting just over the crests of hills and such and at the houses. Let everybody kill each other fighting over the houses while we sat down the hill to the North a bit in cover until there were only two guys left.

We were in the last circle and the other two guys had to move to it, we sat in cover and waited, killed one guy as he was running in and the other died to playzone. Fired about 8 bullets total. Easiest and most chilled chicken dinner I've ever got.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 29, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mr. Wynand posted:

Standalone DACs do have one major objectively true advantage over anything internal. If you're connecting them over optical S/PDIF then it is impossible for any noise from your PC to get in to your audio signal. If you're using decent quality headphones or running at a very high volume a PC case turns out to be a fairly noisy environment and the external DAC means you can easily skip over all that stuff.

I do not have magic ears, quite the opposite after years of having my CD player way too loud on the school bus, but I can tell the difference between my onboard sound and my friend's $80 DAC even on my $20 Monoprice headphones.

I don't care enough that I've bothered to get one myself, but the difference is real.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

They need to release a red and white beanie so I can complete the Waldo look

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fart Car '97 posted:

You also need to sacrifice the pan for the scythe (walking stick)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

I know, right?

The red and white baseball cap can only do so much.

Also hats need to be a separate slot so if your helmet gets blown off the hat remains.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Don't forget the thick rimmed glasses.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I honestly don't understand why people go for weapons when you land right next to them. 9/10 times a flying punch will finish them off before they manage to find, pick up, load, aim or hit with a gun.

Gildiss posted:

Also hats need to be a separate slot so if your helmet gets blown off the hat remains.

I generally want a helmet hiding option like in MMOs because I like my hair.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

succ posted:

those who can't do, review

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

succ posted:

The horror!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Here's a controversial counter opinion which will get poo poo on: If you've sold this many copies of a game and are holding $350k tournaments, you aren't in Early Access anymore. "Early Access" is just a phrase to hide behind so they don't have to admit the game is buggy.

This is a good point and I wouldn't consider it a counter opinion to what I was saying or the general gist of it.

succ posted:

Why go gamers get so upset when a game they liked is critiqued by someone who may not be amazing at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you had to be good at a game to have opinions about it this thread would be like two people.

• Locked thread