Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

she should form an intergender team with crazzy steve and become team "jazzy crazzy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

she should form an intergender team with crazzy steve and become team "jazzy crazzy"

Jazzy Gabert and the fresh Princesa (Sugehit)

edit: (e4) Lacey Evans' gimmick is just Liberty Belle from Netflix GLOW, right?

Ooh, the judo gi is a nice touch for Conti.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 29, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm still on episode 1 but I just wanted to say calling yourself Julia "WillKillA" Ho is the best name I've ever heard.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One thing I love from this batch is finding out that Marti Belle was so bad they changed the finish midmatch and had Evers win which makes sense since even looking bad tonight she's has much more potential to have good matches

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

so spoiler free, is this succeeding as far as presenting strong female role models, not being gross, etc? Want to watch with my daughters, so far the only wrestling they've watched is NJPW, which has generally been fine for kids except I fast forward past the tokyo pimps.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

P-Mack posted:

so spoiler free, is this succeeding as far as presenting strong female role models, not being gross, etc? Want to watch with my daughters, so far the only wrestling they've watched is NJPW, which has generally been fine for kids except I fast forward past the tokyo pimps.

Yes, definitely. Few people have gimmicks here, and the ones that do are either inoffensive at worst, or they pride themselves on being family friendly (Kairi Sane has said as much). I'd say the only real questionable part about the tournament is (not result related, but worth noting) Toni Storm's rear end based offense, but that's not unusual for her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, if they've watched NJPW, they've seen Taguchi's rear end-bassed offence anyway!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Ep. 1 highlights were definitely Kay Lee Ray Vs Princesa Sugehit and Jazzy Gabert Vs Abbey Laith. I was sure Gabert was going on to the 2nd round.
It's pretty cool so far and I'm glad I stayed away from the taping results. On to episode 2.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
May as well post it here, but Stardom's English team is under new management. The previous guy was let go because he was unprofessional (not really a shocker, if you've heard the stories about him).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

post the stories

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Basically the guy would lash out at anyone on twitter who supported WWE at all, along with behind the scenes.

Also I heard behind the scenes he started making GBS threads on Kairi for deciding to go to WWE.

This also doesn't help (from the guy who runs a fairly popular english joshi site):

quote:

Stardom's social media guy seems to be anti-social media unless it is him posting it. I got blocked for posting GIFs each with a link to stardom world and when I emailed Stardom to try to get an explanation I was ignored.

It's especially weird for you to get blocked for spoilers though as it's impossible to follow Stardom on twitter and not be spoiled.
I'll continue to support the Stardom talent as they are amazing but the actions of the person who runs the Twitter and his accusations that those who are trying to promote Stardom are thieves have really soured me on the company (at least the English side).

There's a bunch of other stuff as well, like him supposedly feeding Dave bad info just to embarrass him, which caused collateral damage to STARDOM's reputation.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Eltoasto posted:

Just started watching but early spoiler:

I'm a Rhea Ripley mark

poo poo, same here.

Edit: Ep. 2: Mia Yim Vs Sarah Logan was dope and I'm glad that the best part of the Dollhouse is going to round 2.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Yes, definitely. Few people have gimmicks here, and the ones that do are either inoffensive at worst, or they pride themselves on being family friendly (Kairi Sane has said as much). I'd say the only real questionable part about the tournament is (not result related, but worth noting) Toni Storm's rear end based offense, but that's not unusual for her.

Thanks! Butt stuff is A-OK by me as long as it's not done in a misogynistic way.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, if they've watched NJPW, they've seen Taguchi's rear end-bassed offence anyway!

Letting your children watch Taguchi matches is grounds for CPS to take them away, even if they're fully grown and just visiting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here's my 2 experiences with Stardom's english admin:

1. They send out this questionnaire. You know, usual poo poo, what do you like, what do you want to see improved, etc. They even hinted at the possibility of doing meet'n'greets or swag bags. I chime in about how hard it is to navigate between matches(you have to use the back button on your browser, like some kind of pleb). Anyway the response was....*drumroll* we've heard all your thoughts about improving it, but we're keeping everything exactly the same. Why even do a survey then, you dorks?

2. I bought a chromebit which uses highly sandboxed version of Chrome as its browser, had some trouble getting the site working. So I shot them an email. I get a short terse response back that tells me to go fetch info myself. I ended up getting it going thanks to the power of Chrome's extensions, I sent them an email saying "hey, I figured this out, and its a pretty easy way to get Stardom on a big screen, do you want instructions and stuff?" never a response back.

So nothing really super damning but kinda dodgy customer interactions. They've pretty much admitted in the survey email they're working under a tight budget, I get that. But when you're working a super niche market, your best friend is customers being super enthusiastic about the product. My interactions suggested that its not a priority to get ppl fired up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Okay having finished the first four episodes I think it's pretty hosed up that Kairi/Tessa was a Round 1 match and not like, a finale.

Also I forgot wrestling matches could end without like 12 run-ins and a complete gently caress finish.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've watched the four episodes, here's some random observations:

It's definitely an uneven mix of green workers, some decent but not stellar NXT talent and then your big hitters, but it was overall entertaining. Mia/Logan was probably the best match, maybe tied up with Kairi/Tessa. I guess the brackets would be a little too obvious if we set them up for the quarters but man, they probably deserved it, especially Logan. Out of the marquee names I think Candice got the worst draw, but her match wasn't bad and holy poo poo that's a hell of a neckbreaker. Also, I wish Kay Lee Ray made it through instead of Sugehit, even though I understand wanting to add a little diversity to the later rounds. Girl kicked nice but I wasn't too impressed.

I never saw Rhea wrestle and good God, I like her a lot. She did some Okada-level dropkicks and she has a lot on in-ring charisma. I think she and Bianca Belair get my "never watched them but I'm kinda interested now" award. Liberty Belle, I mean, Lacey Evans seems to have a lot of upside too. Kinda sad she beat my homegirl there but I really like her finisher, it's like a less murderous Bull's Poseidon. Tay isn't bad, she's still a bit green and should probably incorporate some mat wrestling to her repertoire.

Holy poo poo did they have three or four girls that were CLEARLY too green in these brackets. Kavita and Xia Li's matches were very much smoke-and-mirrors affairs, but I could see both those girls becoming good wrestlers in due time. Xia had some sick kicks and a very good look with the fans and kung-fu poo poo. Kavita is both Very Strong and surprisingly agile, but she kinda only had two moves and they had to book around that with Dakota just kinda doing her finisher sequence and going home. I actually never saw Evie wrestle either, so I'm kinda sad she did a reverse jobber squash in the first round. Bazler did fine, I think, her style is kinda "fake real grappling", for lack of a better word, and she has good strikes. I didn't like her opponent tho.

All in all it was entertaining, but now that we're down to 16 it feels more like a legit thing. Also I forgot who it was, maybe Toni Storm, but they hit a headbutt and you could HEAR the noise and please don't do that again.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Mia and LaRae are both sweethearts that I hope get NXT contracts out of this. They've both worked so hard to get to this point and I hope at worst their booking fees increase tenfold for appearing in the tournament. I've met Mia personally and only heard nice things about Candice, if anyone deserve that WWE money it's them. I think the only people I've met that rivals them in friendliness would be Drake Younger, Chris Hero, and Ophidian.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

Mia and LaRae are both sweethearts that I hope get NXT contracts out of this. They've both worked so hard to get to this point and I hope at worst their booking fees increase tenfold for appearing in the tournament. I've met Mia personally and only heard nice things about Candice, if anyone deserve that WWE money it's them. I think the only people I've met that rivals them in friendliness would be Drake Younger, Chris Hero, and Ophidian.

I figured Candice is almost a given. Just now watching, I know we LOL at WOMEN'S REVOLUTION and whatever but isn't it fair to genuinely say this is the best era of women's wrestling ever?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Gabert is her real last name and Jazzy is part of a name she used earlier in her career so I guess she chose it?

It's the name she used for her MMA matches and I think they were in like the last 12 months.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just now watching, I know we LOL at WOMEN'S REVOLUTION and whatever but isn't it fair to genuinely say this is the best era of women's wrestling ever?

In America that's probably accurate. Overall nothing comes close to the 80's & 90's Japanese stuff.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

It's the name she used for her MMA matches and I think they were in like the last 12 months.

In America that's probably accurate. Overall nothing comes close to the 80's & 90's Japanese stuff.

Yeah to be clear I meant worldwide.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah to be clear I meant worldwide.
It's not even as good as 2014-2016 STARDOM.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

It's not even as good as 2014-2016 STARDOM.

Okay, since I'm obviously not expressing myself very clearly, has there ever been a better worldwide climate for women's wrestling at every level, from the mainstream of WWE to the indies? I'm not saying WWE is putting on the best women's wrestling ever, nor am I saying they are solely or even mostly responsible for the change in climate, but they are a part of it, and I don't think that's ever happened from "top to bottom" for women before. That's cool IMO.

Also this is reaffirming for me that I fukken love tournaments and I want more of them. Give me another CWC, another Dusty, another WWEUK tourney, All The Tourneys.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay, since I'm obviously not expressing myself very clearly, has there ever been a better worldwide climate for women's wrestling at every level, from the mainstream of WWE to the indies? I'm not saying WWE is putting on the best women's wrestling ever, nor am I saying they are solely or even mostly responsible for the change in climate, but they are a part of it, and I don't think that's ever happened from "top to bottom" for women before. That's cool IMO.

Also this is reaffirming for me that I fukken love tournaments and I want more of them. Give me another CWC, another Dusty, another WWEUK tourney, All The Tourneys.
I feel like you're trying to phrase this in such a distinct way to get your answer.

Is this the most mainstream stand-alone tournament featuring women exclusively? Probably, there was never a Super-J cup or King of Trios type tournament to get a lot of recognition for women athletes. It's not the best wrestling, it's not the best women's wrestling tournament, and it's not the best event featuring women from different nationalities, it's just the most mainstream.

AJW Dreamslam is the best Women's Wrestling card to date

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 29, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling was probably a better climate for women's wrestling than anything out there today, between the crowds they were able to draw and being a promotion of only women's talent.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think he was just trying to separate wrestling quality from the health of the industry as it pertains to women. and it's strong now but but i think that's still debatable all-time

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I binged through all four eps, my stupid thoughts:

Abbey Laith vs Jazzy Gabert was a super fun match. It seemed like the crowd was receptive yet polite at the start and within thirty seconds they're standing and screaming for Abbey charging after that gigantic muscly German.

Sarah Logan and Mia Yim really impressed me. I know they've put Logan on NXT TV before so they must trust her, but that was a really solid little match.

A buddy of mine described Belle / Evers as "hurting his soul". No idea what happened there.

I really liked Piper Niven, but I'm not sure WWE is the place for her given what they've traditionally wanted from their women. (most generous phrasing used)

Tessa Blanchard is gonna be fine long-term so she can take that loss. Glad she got a bit of a showcase. Please give Kairi Sane something besides a pirate gimmick, or at least give her finisher a super-cool name like "North Star Supernova" or something.

Toni Storm is ready NOW.

Plenty of chances for all of them to do some really awesome things now that we're into the second round. My general opinion is that 32 was right at the upper limit for this kind of thing; there were a few more obvious projects here than in the CWC. 24 with some byes would've maybe been better watching, but I'm glad all of them got some exposure and know what style WWE wants if they decide to go that direction in their careers. Everyone who's gone can hopefully earn some more on the indies or know what they need to do to get to the PC. Overall I'm pretty pleased and I really hope it picks up from now like the CWC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kairi doesn't have a pirate gimmick. She just dresses like one on the way to the ring because she likes pirates. She is not being portrayed as an actual pirate or anything.

Like Becky. She wears the dumb Steampunk stuff but like her character isn't a Victorian time traveler.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

i think he was just trying to separate wrestling quality from the health of the industry as it pertains to women. and it's strong now but but i think that's still debatable all-time

This is what I meant, yes, and it's really not that specific of a question.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Kairi doesn't have a pirate gimmick. She just dresses like one on the way to the ring because she likes pirates. She is not being portrayed as an actual pirate or anything.

Like Becky. She wears the dumb Steampunk stuff but like her character isn't a Victorian time traveler.

And it's a cool look and the music is GREAT. The whole presentation just screams that she's different and special. It's like Nakamura's violin entrance or the Shield entering from the crowd.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

From my early experiences with the MYC project expect disappointment when it comes to talent decisions sadly. Wish it was a signing bonanza but it doesn't seem to be trending that way.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MYC is doing a great job about getting normies into Women's wrestling. I'm sorta down for that. Upside is women are gettin paid and that's always awesome. Downside is its a WWE produce which means it will go to poo poo once Bucky and Vince start talking about maximum fuckability.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

MYC is doing a great job about getting normies into Women's wrestling. I'm sorta down for that. Upside is women are gettin paid and that's always awesome. Downside is its a WWE produce which means it will go to poo poo once Bucky and Vince start talking about maximum fuckability.

I don't think Vince or Dunn have anything to do with the Mae Young Classic, and most of these talent are going to end up in NXT anyways, and Vince and Dunn don't have much of a hand there either.

Main Roster is a different story though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nxt is just a vince project to fatten up smark hopes before he eats them

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkstarIV posted:

I don't think Vince or Dunn have anything to do with the Mae Young Classic, and most of these talent are going to end up in NXT anyways, and Vince and Dunn don't have much of a hand there either.

Main Roster is a different story though.

Which is the exact same thing that happened with the CWC really. It was great because the main roster agents, bookers, etc. SEEMINGLY didn't have anything to do with it, it had more of an NXT vibe and was infinitely better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of them are already wrestling a WWE friendly style.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
rhea ripley's better than the other australians theyve got in nxt

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hahaha i love crazy mary dobson's new redneck thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

skaboomizzy posted:

least give her finisher a super-cool name like "North Star Supernova" or something.

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really don't expect more than a small handful of signings from this. I'd narrow down the field as such:

Already Signed
Abbey Laith
Bianca Belair
Dakota Kai
Kairi Sane
Lacey Evans
Reina Gonzalez
Rhea Ripley
Sage Beckett
Sarah Logan
Taynara Conti
Vanessa Borne
Xia Li
Zeda

Almost Certainly Getting Signed
Shayna Baszler (Ronda's BFF)
Toni Storm (duh)
Jazzy Gabert (is huge and was reported over huge)
Kavita Devi - (huge India boner in WWE right now. I'd say she gets signed but trains in PC off TV for a while.)

50/50 odds IMO
Candice LeRae
Mia Yim
Nicole Savoy
Piper Niven
Rachel Evers

Possible but Unlikely
Kay Lee Ray
Santana Garrett
Serena Deeb
Mercedes Martinez (I just don't see it)

Very Unlikely