Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Oh god a loving tweet containing some anecdotes about the positive effects of Wonder Woman?!?! This travesty can't go unchallenged! It didn't happen! It doesn't matter! Those little girls don't know what they're talking about! I, the fat virginal nerd will show them the light!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

Oh god a loving tweet containing some anecdotes about the positive effects of Wonder Woman?!?! This travesty can't go unchallenged! It didn't happen! It doesn't matter! Those little girls don't know what they're talking about! I, the fat virginal nerd will show them the light!

No one's talking about those tweets.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nevermind

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Karloff posted:

Maybe you should be silent and listen to women when they argue for what they do and don't appreciate in popular cinema. Instead of trying to intellectually justify why "actually, there's been plenty of films with women in, so maybe that's enough".

You are confused. I am not an intellectual and I am not attacking the Wonder Woman film. That is not my priority. Neither am I attacking the concept of women in film. That is dumb.

I am simply and straightforwardly performing an ideological critique of the Wonder Woman movie, through an egalitarian lens.

Your reaction against this political stance is that I should just "listen to women". Which women? Do all women share the same politics?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Children see Wonder Woman as a role model" is a bar so low that it's not even a bar.

"Physically powerful and classically beautiful" getting warmer.

"Is not framed as a woman attempting to hang and compete with males and their standards (and failing)" warmer yet.

"After being brought up by closeted and disenchanted lesbians that leave her with child-like emotions and social skills, Wonder Woman becomes a successful sociopolitical radical in a story marketed to children" - mmm yeah that's the stuff

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dont even fink about it posted:

"After being brought up by closeted and disenchanted lesbians that leave her with child-like emotions and social skills, Wonder Woman becomes a successful sociopolitical radical in a story marketed to children" - mmm yeah that's the stuff

Unfortunately, it also isn't what happens in the film.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Unfortunately, it also isn't what happens in the film.

Have you ever had an original thought in your head Schwarzwald?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The movie is pretty close to terminator.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Which women? Do all women share the same politics?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbreslin/2017/08/26/james-cameron-wonder-woman/#42928f1d40aa

Apparently not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If we're going to ask if Wonder Woman is a "step forward," we should ask who the character is. And to learn that, we have to see what choices she makes, and what her actions are.

A very basic list of her early choices are to:
  • disobey her mother and train to be a warrior.
  • leave her home, knowing she will likely never return.
  • confront British officers for cowardice.
  • take the most direct route toward her enemy.
  • attempt to assassination a god.

Wonder Woman has a strong sense of personal responsibility, and equates being responsible with taking action to help people. Specifically, people without power.
This is largely the drive behind her quest to kill Ares. She believes Ares has influenced mankind to commit evil actions (war, specifically), and that mankind is powerless to resist his corrupting influence. As an Amazon (which Zeus specifically crafted to resist Ares corruption), she feels a duty to kill Ares and liberate mankind.

A list of her early actions include:
  • breaking into an armory.
  • likely killing a man at a bar.
  • recapturing a held village.
  • disguising herself to approach her target.

For all that she is compassionate, Wonder Woman is entirely willing to take an almost surgical approach to freeing mankind. The sooner Ares dies, the less mankind suffers in total, so it is fully permissible for her to cut down any number of soldiers (and bar patrons) if it brings her closer to Ares.

...of course, that is only up until she actually engages Ares. Where, her faith having been shaken, she

• massacres a troop of German soldiers who, for all their weapons, are helpless to defend themselves.

This is a start of a change in her character. Ares has truthfully told her that he has not corrupted mankind, that killing him would not liberate mankind. She still believes being responsible means taking action, but her actions are no longer for the benefit of the helpless. At least, momentarily.

She then takes the actions of:
  • stop massacring the soldiers.
  • finally killing Ares.
    And makes the choices to:
  • not wipe out humankind. (probably an intersectional good)
  • retire from intervening in human affairs.

This is the conclusion of her change. Given that she cannot take action to free mankind, she decides the responsible thing is not to take action--to allow mankind to take responsibility for it's own actions. This is what killing Ares ultimately accomplishes--it removes the excuse of divine malevolence.

This is not a story about a successful sociopolitical radical. This is a story about a god, faced with the problem of evil, deciding upon (and enforcing) divine nonintervention.

The actually moral of the film (as embodied by the character of Steve Trevor) is that we should not depend on the gods for help (societal or otherwise), but rely on the actions of ourselves and our fellows. Something between Hercules and the Wagoner and "trust in God but tie your camel."

I think Wonder Woman is a good film.
I'm not so cynical to call it a step forward for feminism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tenzarin posted:

The movie is pretty close to terminator.

Perspective-flipped? (and instead of from the future, the indestructible killing machines are from the past!)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So you're promoting a Ivan Karamazov - esque stance that popular role models bad and corrupt, but we must deceive children into believing ideals that we don't.

No. Turns out you're as bad at reading posts as you are at reading movies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I would suggest reviewing the thesis of the Simpsons episode 'Kamp Krusty' before thinking that the idea of the 'superhero' is broad enough you can count any protagonist as one, and that symbols are interchangeable. Literal children aren't fooled by obvious substitutions, you can't replace a lost toy with one of very vaguely similar colour. Names and symbols matter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I'm legit not trying to be a shithead when I ask, what's a superhero?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
A hero kills people. People that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma or out of a disaster that must be avenged. We all have a hero in our heart.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I don't want to belabour the point, but you're still not referencing anything in the movie.

Yaws posted:

Little girls showing appreciation for a female superhero on the Big Screen is a step forward.

Sorry, I know being a bitter cynical misanthrope is sorta your thing and an idea like that probably throws you into a tissy but it's noteworthy.

Yaws posted:

lol

We have already established for a while that the movie is popular. Children indeed like it. But the thing that people are struggling to explain is how this makes Wonder Woman progressive. Notice that you're doing exactly the thing I criticized: not actually referencing the movie itself to justify it being "a step forward," only it's popular success. This gives the impression that the movie itself secondary and insignificant compared to the protagonist's 'iconic' value.

The odd thing is that it's very easy to reference the movie. For example, the movie's villain is anti-humanist, and Wonder Woman opposes him because she's a humanist. This is a basic progressive stance.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 29, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Schwarzwald posted:

Well the thing is that what you call it makes little difference to whether it is or not, since at some point we're gonna have to acknowledge that it's not really your call.

Moreover, the idea that a female narrative needs to be somehow...what, more innovative?...more profound?...more pure?...softer?...less problem-ridden?...than the equivalent male narrative or else it's no longer important or feminist is the very definition of inequality. The amount of hoops that this film has to jump through, the amount of tests that it has to pass in order to be considered progressive for its intended demographic is frankly gate-keeping at best and concern-trolling at worst.

That's the self-congratulatory mindset from James Cameron where there's only one perfect type of woman allowed on the scene and oh it just so coincidentally happens to be his perfect type of woman. That's the very mindset that's kept female voices and stories cordoned off from male spaces for ages, under the auspice that a male story can be practically anything under the sun and say virtually anything it wants to say, but a female story has to be a certain way and can't be something other than that way because don't you see we're just looking out for you poor beleaguered feminists?

Apropos of nothing, I've heard that mindset applied to many other minority demographics as well, where their stories aren't considered progressive -- or in some cases, are outright regressive -- if they don't just shatter any and all problematic issues facing not only their own strata but of all other persecuted classes as well, and it's a standard that no film can hope to achieve. A standard wherein a story about a woman or a minority can't just be a story about a woman or a minority to be something extraordinary but also has to pass all those other gratuitous hoops and tests.

Where Wonder Woman the film is progressive is that it says a story about a woman can be exactly this -- nothing more and nothing less -- and that's exactly what it should be because female stories have in fact been denied permission to be exactly this up until now.

DeimosRising posted:

I'm legit not trying to be a shithead when I ask, what's a superhero?
My very broad-strokes definition would be someone with some sort of superpowers -- inborn, trained, mystical, technological, or otherwise -- who fight crime, injustice, and evil. Costume and codename preferred, but not strictly required.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

A standard wherein a story about a woman or a minority can't just be a story about a woman or a minority to be something extraordinary but also has to pass all those other gratuitous hoops and tests.

Where Wonder Woman the film is progressive is that it says a story about a woman can be exactly this -- nothing more and nothing less -- and that's exactly what it should be because female stories have in fact been denied permission to be exactly this up until now.

You're basically arguing that the actual content of the movie is insignificant. It could be sexist and politically regressive for all we know, but at least it's an action blockbuster starring a woman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To kids, none of that matters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well we've gone to from "Wonder Woman is a step forward" to "It doesn't matter if it's good or bad".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wonder Woman is a step forward because it's a big budget film normally directed by men, directed by a woman, about a compassionate woman hero who steps in to do what she believes is right.

That's the kind of stuff that kids take in. (Maybe, maybe not the director aspect. Depending on the kid, to be honest) That is what is important. Not this alien poo poo you're all talking about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well we've gone to from "Wonder Woman is a step forward" to "It doesn't matter if it's good or bad".

It was good though.

Please keep up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Wonder Woman is a step forward because it's a big budget film normally directed by men, directed by a woman, about a compassionate woman hero who steps in to do what she believes is right.

That's the kind of stuff that kids take in. (Maybe, maybe not the director aspect. Depending on the kid, to be honest) That is what is important. Not this alien poo poo you're all talking about.

Well you clarified your point from the chat thread: anyone who doesn't think children liking Wonder Woman the movie/the character is a "step forward" is detached from humanity, alien in their sentiments and behaviour.

This is obviously a colossal dumb thing you've said. You're defining humanity as the ability to agree that a big blockbuster movie is progressive because there's a tweet of a child meeting Gal Gadot.

The truly tragicmic part is that I'm not even claiming that Wonder Woman isn't a "step forward," but that the movie is a short and hesitant step applauded and feted by back-patting critics and audiences. No one can really deny that the movie/character is mildly progressive, but it is just mildly. Like SMG argues, it's actually men who seem to celebrate Wonder Woman most as the first true superhero movie for women, when they really seem to be projecting their own approval. This talk about how kids like Wonder Woman is basically the same in principle: adults are using children to justify their own approval.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 29, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here's the "bonus' scene that comes with the bluray. It definitely feels like sequence that was supposed to go mid credits.

https://twitter.com/YahooMovies/status/902184606174248960/video/1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Any indication as to what artifact they're talking about? First thought, maybe the Mother Box that would eventually become Cyborg.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inescapable Duck posted:

Any indication as to what artifact they're talking about? First thought, maybe the Mother Box that would eventually become Cyborg.
That's what I'm guessing it is. They said the bonus scene is supposed to connect WW to JL.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
She was already running on rooftops at the end, that makes her a superhero. Roof stalking.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is the Mother Box

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/902397824695812096

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

It's the kind of reading that is not taking place:

In the big animated painting, all the fully-grown amazons stepping out of the ocean are light-skinned women - but then Hippolyta is later shown standing and fighting alongside several black amazons. And, of course, the island's population in the film itself is multi-racial (albeit still mostly-white). Obviously Amazons are not born but recruited. Hippolyta led a revolt by a bunch of women enslaved by the Greeks, escaped to a faraway island, and then generated the whole metaphorical backstory.

The crucial point is that the women are not born immortal and then called Amazons. Exploited women from all different backgrounds may be recruited as Amazons and, when this happens, they cut all ties with their past lives - 'born again', without a history. When they are allowed to live on Themyscira, these normal women become immortal by drinking and bathing in the glowing waters. Hence, 'born from the sea': born from the water.

Themyscira is an isolationist theocracy, specifically a type of Zeus cult (of which there were many). And, in their religious teachings, Zeus is specifically a God Of Fiction who does battle against (and represses) the God Of Truth. The threat of Truth is such that the Amazons will not even speak his real title. Truth, to them, is synonymous with War.

When you understand the meaning of 'Zeus' and 'born from the sea', then you can understand the meaning of 'shaped from clay'. Diana is a blank slate: Themyscira's first natural birth, and therefore the only Amazon with absolutely no knowledge of the outside world. As a result, she is the only Amazon to be purely and naively credulous of their mythology. This is why Diana is told that she was "brought to life by Zeus": her father is Fiction.

The notion of a pure paradise before the fall was always a lie. Even "Paradise Island" must sustain itself with the ideological fantasy of an outside corrupting threat, against which they must unite.* The Amazons may have no capitalism, but they also have no industry and no class-consciousness. Their society has remained stagnant for millenia, and their only significant technology is scavenged from (presumably) an alien crash site or something. So Hippolyta literally fears that Diana will become too smart, tries to keep her in the dark: "the stronger [Diana] gets, the sooner [Truth] will find her."

*Note the shot where the German soldier, chasing Steve Trevor, reaches out towards the large Iron Cross and is then instantly transported into the land of ideological fantasy. The point is that there is something vaguely proto-fascist about the Amazon society, in the Starship Troopers sense that 'war makes fascists of us all'.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 29, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rewatching the first fight scene after No Man's Land in the office building, there are a lot of little touches that I love, like Diana sliding across the room with her shield to close distance and holding the godkiller sword by the blade to beat a dude up with the hilt :allears:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here's the "bonus' scene that comes with the bluray. It definitely feels like sequence that was supposed to go mid credits.

https://twitter.com/YahooMovies/status/902184606174248960/video/1

An all powerful artifact, sure I can believe that. But Brits thinking the best idea is to deliver it to the Americans... that's just a bridge too far.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hiddenriverninja posted:

Rewatching the first fight scene after No Man's Land in the office building, there are a lot of little touches that I love, like Diana sliding across the room with her shield to close distance and holding the godkiller sword by the blade to beat a dude up with the hilt :allears:
i got the digital version today too. Two little things I hadn't noticed in theatres are when Diana is climbing the ladder to exit the trench she's still wearing her black robe and it slips off to reveal her shield and her full outfit Also, when she's in the cabinet room and all the guys are shocked to see a woman there, some soldiers sitting next to the colonel that Steve wants to talk two are staring and pointing at her. The camera turns to Diana and she gives them this look like "yeah I see you pointing, what do you want?!?" And after her fight with Ludendorff, I don't know if it was makeup or what, but you can see that she was sweating. It's a small but cool touch. She hasn't awakened her full powers yet so fights like this still take a toll on her.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Karloff posted:

Maybe you should be silent and listen to women when they argue for what they do and don't appreciate in popular cinema.

Bella Swan, mainly

EDIT: Katniss Everdeen, is also cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCEUniverse/status/902403936291835905

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jenkins on the WW sequel:

quote:

“The greatest thing about making this [the first Wonder Woman] movie was the fact that you’re really building to the Wonder Woman that we all love, but not until the end of the movie. The most exciting thing about [the sequel] is literally seeing her loose in the world now, living those classic stories. Here’s Wonder Woman, and what can she do? It should be a totally different movie, but a grand and now full-blown Wonder Woman in the world.”

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Schwarzwald posted:

This is not a story about a successful sociopolitical radical. This is a story about a god, faced with the problem of evil, deciding upon (and enforcing) divine nonintervention.

This is a good post, and these two parts especially.

It also puts a pretty clear pin on what I disliked most about it; I have no patience for theodicy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 30, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jenny Angel posted:

Bella Swan, mainly

EDIT: Katniss Everdeen, is also cool
And now we can see that they appreciate Diana, as well.

It's noteworthy that these two characters mentioned are all but completely different women, going through two completely different stories. If we take the success of these two franchises along with the newfound success of Wonder Woman into consideration, then the answer to "what women appreciate" is "a wide breadth of characters and stories."

Essentially, we mustn't fall into Cameron's trap of constraining the female narrative.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No one in this thread has argued that women do not like Wonder Woman.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

No one in this thread has argued that women do not like Wonder Woman.

It's really telling that people react to the assertion 'populism is not progressivism' by continually insisting that the movie is popular.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It also puts a pretty clear pin on what I disliked most about it; I have no patience for theodicy.

The film is not theodical, because Diana is not all-powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film is not theodical, because Diana is not all-powerful.
Theodicy is premised on God being all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good, correct? It wouldn't work with the Greek/Roman pantheon since their gods don't have all those qualities would it?

• Locked thread