Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they benefit the exact same from substats. the benefit is added after the base damage is calculated. it does mean that main stat (the one that increases attack power) is a lot stronger for some jobs than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Hey man, all this stat talk is stressing you out. Come (smoke) (The Bole) over here, man.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So I had put Warrior down when the Expansion launched and only just picked it back up. It feels fun, but I just got Onslaught and I'm not sure how to get the most out of it. Is there a good Warrior guide for me to reference?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isk posted:

Man, an 8 hour maintenance for this seems bonkers. Hail Tanaka I suppose

Oh yeah, totally, Hail Tanaka. gently caress Yoshi-P. /s

i am tim! posted:

So I had put Warrior down when the Expansion launched and only just picked it back up. It feels fun, but I just got Onslaught and I'm not sure how to get the most out of it. Is there a good Warrior guide for me to reference?

Often, whenever it comes off cooldown.

Part of the problem is that Onslaught can't be used unless you have some Beast Gauge. That means unless you're carrying some from, say, trash mobs, or the previous big pull, you can't use it to start off fights, despite every instinct in your body telling you that it's how you SHOULD be using it in stuff like 8-man content. It's a fun skill that turns you into a bloodseeking missile.

You can start to use it a little more tactically later. Think about how a MNK would use Shoulder Tackle, for example. By which I mean, "cheese the poo poo out of knockback effects".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 29, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hey man, all this stat talk is stressing you out. Come (smoke) (The Bole) over here, man.

Nice

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

a kitten posted:

Patch notes are out
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2b058731112d9859b50789e65fcc86e77977f3e5

It's all PvP stuff, mostly potency reductions and HP increases.

Sure am glad they cut the game off in US prime for poo poo that could have waited till "Who cares"

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

there's always prime time somewhere in the world

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Sure am glad they cut the game off in US prime for poo poo that could have waited till "Who cares"

As a yuro

:lol: my sweet summer child

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yeah man let's make sure that country nobody gives a poo poo about has time to play video games

naw man they're gonna run maintenance when nobody's playing the game in Japan and you're gonna just DWI. the maintenance runs from 11am to 7pm in Japan time to facilitate them not having to pay insane amount of money to people for doing off hours work

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SpaceDrake posted:

So wait, just to be sure: I previously had it drilled into my head that, for this tier of content and gear at least, it was DH > all for RDM.

Is that actually true or was I misinformed?
The misinformation from awhile ago was the idea of a DH vs Crit breakpoint and concluding nobody would hit the necessary crit values this tier. This was a flawed way of looking at things but a lot of people ran with it.

In practice though all it means is you might have a few extra DH melds that could instead be crit for a small bump. Dps really don't have many gear options at the moment.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the truth is that with there being up to four beneficial substat for every job now, the only way you can properly determine what to do with your gear is to compile sets of gear and melds and food and run those through a simulator and see what DPS comes out

I built a DPS simulator that takes N time and plays Samurai for that duration and tells me the result for every gear set I send it, and the results were surprising!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
happy page 420

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

we must needs blaze it, warrior of light

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A true water pipe of legend that shines with such brilliance that it is said even Doggs would beg for a whiff of its contents.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

pray, return to the baking sands

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

new crafting class: glassblower, starts at level 420

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Get that HQ grass

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Blockhouse posted:

happy page 420

{Smoke} {The Bole} and get {Stone}.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the warrior of weed's power is mimicked by the Resinant

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This year's Rising is great. I'd like to see the Cheap Dungeon back soon.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

This year's Rising is great. I'd like to see the Cheap Dungeon back soon.

you can play it again from a toy box in an inn room

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
unfortunately once you solve Cheap Dungeon once you forever know the answer and it just becomes an exercise in seeing how quickly you can move through the maze

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beyond Savage requires you to solve a randomly generated Cheap Dungeon while also fighting Neo ExDeath using the same movement controls for both and with pit traps and teleport mazes thrown in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weed

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

unfortunately once you solve Cheap Dungeon once you forever know the answer and it just becomes an exercise in seeing how quickly you can move through the maze

I was really hoping there would be a turn based fight in there. Oh well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The weed AST

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also I'm sure most people picked it up but the area you go to in the Rising event is the jail GMs use when lecturing players.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
kind of surprisingly, i've never been sent to GM jail before

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Based on the quality of people I get df'd with I assumed I was already in some kind of gm jail/shitlist.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

I want the Cheap Dungeon music as an Orchestrion roll.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So a friend of mine has convinced me to try this game out and I'm kind of paralyzed by class choice. I played a ton of DPS Warrior in WoW but it looks like all the plate wearing classes are tanks? Dragoon looks interesting but I've heard from a friend of a friend that they're kind of poo poo right now.

I just want to hit things with a big rear end weapon but not pigeon hole myself into an undesirable role at the end game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
{Burning Strike} {The Bole} {Smoke} {Up} {I'll deal the first blow} {Puff of Darkness} {You can have this} {Get hit}

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

So a friend of mine has convinced me to try this game out and I'm kind of paralyzed by class choice. I played a ton of DPS Warrior in WoW but it looks like all the plate wearing classes are tanks? Dragoon looks interesting but I've heard from a friend of a friend that they're kind of poo poo right now.

I just want to hit things with a big rear end weapon but not pigeon hole myself into an undesirable role at the end game

It is remarkably easy to change classes if you find you don't like the one you're playing. Any job below your highest level class gives a massive EXP bonus and there are several classes (Dark Knight, Mechanist, Astrologian, Red Mage and Samurai) who begin at an elevated level once they're unlocked. Don't stress yourself out. Pick what looks interesting and if you don't like it then swap.

If you want to hit things with a big-rear end weapon your best choice is a tank class or Dragoon or maybe Samurai but the latter takes a while to unlock.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
None of the roles are undesirable outside of cutting edge meta groups. Tanks are basically just DPS classes with more health and less offensive cooldowns. Dragoons good, friend. Encounter design right now just doesn't play well with it's new core ability. It still however provides pretty good DPS and welcome utility to any party, especially with a Bard or Machinist in the mix.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
my dragoon is still 60 but fwiw dragoons I've talked to say the class is fine. they get hosed by big gaps in uptime but there aren't many of those this cycle. Damage-wise they are slightly above ninja, and their aoe crit-boost is still very desirable in a team-comp.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bolow posted:

First of all you can (and are incouraged) to play every class on one character, youre not stuck in anything. Other classes get a huge xp boost if you have another class at a higher level.

But the roles in FF14 are very strict. Tanks tank and DPS kill stuff. People complain about class imbalance in this game but its not like WoW. Every class is viable even at the cutting edge content.

If the best class in the game is an A+ grade, the worst class is still getting an A/A-

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bolow posted:

Dragoons are fun to play and if you can handle keeping up with all your off GCD abilities and positioning they're in a really good spot right now. A lot of people (myself included) are not able to do that, so most of them think that means the class is bad.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the two jobs people reddit memers and goon shitposters consider the "worst" are machinist and warrior. both of those classes are, in fact, extremely desirable in the most difficult raiding content in the game right now.

besides, class balance in this game teeters constantly, if you level a class you don't like because it's good right now it'll probably be trash by the time you hit level capped content.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Something else important to note is that the plate/leather/etc distinction doesn't really carry over from WoW, gear is purely by mainstat rather than on armor tiers. Amount of inherent physical defense and max HP on gear goes in order:

Tanks>Dragoon>Monk=Samurai>Ninja=Bard=Machinist>Magic DPS=Healers.

Magic defense is Tanks>Magic DPS=Healers>Physical DPS.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's no class you're going to play that is actually detrimental to have unless you're playing them remarkably badly and that is true of pretty much every class. The major difference between classes right now outside of the absolute high-end content is how fast you can clear dungeons and anyone who is being snippy at anew player for not clearing a dungeon fast enough is probably going to be a poo poo regardless of the class you play. Just play what looks fun to you and don't worry about it. 90% of FFXIV's community are insanely nice people and the other 10% are usually safely sequestered in end-game content.