Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Secx posted:

I'm not sure why Jon would have a better claim to the iron throne than Daenerys. Danny's father was king, so wouldn't that make her next in line? Sure, Jon is a legit male heir, but his father was brother to the king.

Monarchy. How does it work?

In the end its all cocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

I wouldn't think so. Ned's parents were cousins too.

Jon and Dany's baby has no chance.

Charles II incoming

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The baby's gonna pop out with a hell of a set of eyebrows and a huge gaping mouth.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Jon and Dany's baby has no chance.

Charles II incoming

Roose did say that Lyanna was "half a horse".

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Secx posted:

I'm not sure why Jon would have a better claim to the iron throne than Daenerys. Danny's father was king, so wouldn't that make her next in line? Sure, Jon is a legit male heir, but his father was brother to the king.

Monarchy. How does it work?

No, Rhaegar was Aerys' son, and ahead of Viserys in the line of succession. The throne would have passed from Aerys to Rhaegar to Jon. I'm unsure of the monarchy's tradition in the seven kingdoms, but I believe that succession happens even when Aerys is predeceased by Rhaegar (which he was), rather than reverting to Viserys and then Dany.

To be clear, this makes Dany Jon's aunt, not first cousin.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XeYNHwRswYU

This Season was a lot of fun and that ending was gorgeously done

don't troll.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Eastdrom posted:

I just realized the last scene of ep 8 is almost the same as the wotlk cinematic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

You got icey valley. Lots of zombies. Dragon flying down the valley. I'm not implying that's where they got the idea but gently caress it reminded me of that so much.

Game of thrones is basically just a lovely version of WoW

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

As others have said, Joramun's Horn is supposed to bring down the Wall by "awaking giants from the earth"

On the fan theories surrounding the Horn:

- The "awake giants from the earth" is interpreted as either awakening actual earth giants, awakening a dormant ice dragon within the wall, or cause an earthquake like the one that created the Stepstones.

- Two horns have appeared in the books. Euron's horn "Dragonbinder" and the horn Jon finds in the Fist of the First Men that he later gives to Sam.

- Dragonbinder has been shown to have some magical properties since it burned the lungs of the man who blew it, and supposedly it's used to bind the will of a dragon to whoever blows the horn. It is improbable that this turns out to be the Horn of Joramun. The more likely purpose of this horn is for Dany/Jon/secret Targaryen to blow it and since they are immune to getting burned (when the plot remembers/wants them not to) they can control a dragon this way, since in the books they are mostly untamed still.

- Sam's horn is the one most likely to be the Horn of Joramun. However, it has yet not been used at all and Sam is currently on the other side of the world in the Citadel, so unless the horn's magic is coded to just gently caress the world no matter where you blow it, it can also potentially turn out to be a red herring and the actual Horn has yet to be found.

I really, really want Victorian to get while roasted gazing expectantly at the approaching dragons attracted by his horn... and then on the other side of the world, the Wall crumbles.

Anyway, I thought the finale was fine. My expectations for this show are pretty low these days. If those sketchy sounding rumors are real than it will be Dexter levels of making GBS threads the bed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Well R.I.P. that goofy loving WW1 trench on top of the wall. You are gone but your nonsensical and rather pointless anachronism lives on forever in our hearts.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought the trench made more sense than the slip and you're dead-way they built the wall at Castle Black.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Asehujiko posted:

Well R.I.P. that goofy loving WW1 trench on top of the wall. You are gone but your nonsensical and rather pointless anachronism lives on forever in our hearts.

I'm pretty sure the trench is going to be how they justify Tormund and Beric surviving, like "oh they just fled atop the wall to the next fort or Castle Black". I can't imagine them killing either of them off-screen, although one or both are probably gonna buy it in the first episode next season.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm pretty sure the trench is going to be how they justify Tormund and Beric surviving, like "oh they just fled atop the wall to the next fort or Castle Black". I can't imagine them killing either of them off-screen, although one or both are probably gonna buy it in the first episode next season.

Either they flee back to tell the other characters how easily the wall fell, or they show up as ice zombies for shock factor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Skippy McPants posted:

World history shows us that the incest taboos don't really hold up for the ruling class beyond immediate family. When long distance travel is hard, and the upper crust make up such a small percentage of the population, it's not long before first and second cousins are the only prospects left.

Edit: And marrying below one's station? Horrid. A King would rather wed his daughter to a nephew than suffer the shame of giving her away to some lowly Count.

Interestingly enough there are no apparent grades of nobility in Westeros, there's no dukes or counts or earls or margraves or barons or anything like that. I've never known what to make of that, the only formal means of determining precedence among the aristocracy are the traditional lordship of each of the seven kingdoms, and the wardenries which are a crown office. It's a bit odd really. While the Targs preferred incestuous marriages when possible, they don't seem to have had any real objection to marrying other nobility as long as they were from pretty old families. King Robert's grandmother being a Targaryen princess for example.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why would rhaegar name another son aegon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The first one sucked

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can't put all your aegons in one basket.

Yes I shamelessly stole this what of it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skippy McPants posted:

World history shows us that the incest taboos don't really hold up for the ruling class beyond immediate family. When long distance travel is hard, and the upper crust make up such a small percentage of the population, it's not long before first and second cousins are the only prospects left.

It had more to do with keeping the kingdom/your valuables inside the family instead of splitting it off. Traveling was pretty widespread throughout history, and especially for nobility in the European Middle Ages. Finding a spouse outside family wouldn't have been an issue. Also, while the Ptolemaians and Emperor Claudius hardly set off a trend and were regarded as weirdos by basically everyone for their marriage ideas, a very, very large percentage of marriages throughout histories throughout all classes and races were cousin marriages.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why did Rhaegar need to get a divorce? Targs can plural marriage, right? Jon could still be the legitimate King after his slightly older brother died

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

Interestingly enough there are no apparent grades of nobility in Westeros, there's no dukes or counts or earls or margraves or barons or anything like that. I've never known what to make of that, the only formal means of determining precedence among the aristocracy are the traditional lordship of each of the seven kingdoms, and the wardenries which are a crown office. It's a bit odd really. While the Targs preferred incestuous marriages when possible, they don't seem to have had any real objection to marrying other nobility as long as they were from pretty old families. King Robert's grandmother being a Targaryen princess for example.

I think those grades are present, just unnamed.
Nobody in-universe would suggest that House Vypren (sworn to House Frey, who are sworn to House Tully, who are sworn to the royal House Baratheon) is on the same level as House Arryn (sworn directly to the royal House)

Seems like the order of precedence could just be the # of levels of fealty you owe. With the Crownlands houses admittedly being a bit of a wrinkle (nobody would suggest the Rykkers are of the same status as the Arryns, even though they are both sworn directly to the crown)

Targ marriages to the houses which hold Paramountcy are rare, but most of their outside-the-family marriages are to rich merchants of old Valyrian noble ancestry or to very high 2nd-tier houses (Royces, Daynes, Dondarrions, Blackwoods, all powerful, all former royalty from pre-Targ eras). The Targs who married below that station generally had some extenuating circumstances, like Elaena's various terrible marriages that Aegon the Unworthy arranged out of spite. So it does seem that there's some unspoken precedence that they adhere to fairly strictly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Decius posted:

It had more to do with keeping the kingdom/your valuables inside the family instead of splitting it off.

There were also societies that viewed rulers as literal gods, and gods can only marry gods (thus siblings or close relations). Egyptian, Incan and Hawa'iian societies are all prime examples. I suppose in Game of Thrones the ability to control dragons could be viewed in a very similar light.

Professor Shark posted:

Why did Rhaegar need to get a divorce? Targs can plural marriage, right? Jon could still be the legitimate King after his slightly older brother died

It would make ascendancy an issue and possibly lead to a civil war.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PupsOfWar posted:

Targ marriages to the houses which hold Paramountcy are rare, but most of their outside-the-family marriages are to rich merchants of old Valyrian noble ancestry or to very high 2nd-tier houses (Royces, Daynes, Dondarrions, Blackwoods, all powerful, all former royalty from pre-Targ eras). The Targs who married below that station generally had some extenuating circumstances, like Elaena's various terrible marriages that Aegon the Unworthy arranged out of spite. So it does seem that there's some unspoken precedence that they adhere to fairly strictly.

Didn't Rhaegar marry Elia to maintain a nominal level of control over Dorne?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
[quote="“Groovelord Neato”" post="“475866582”"]
[/quote]

Ask George Forman

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You'll be hearing from my lawyer.

grack posted:

It would make ascendancy an issue and possibly lead to a civil war.

What do you think the Martells would do if they found out? Oberyn would personally stab Rhaegar in the dick with a poisoned spear.

E: Also, judging by what Rhaegar said to Jaime before riding out to the Trident, he was probably planning on making some broad political changes had he won the battle.

Not sure if the legitimacy question would be brought up though, or how much pushback he'd get if it did.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Professor Shark posted:

It wasn't a divorce, it was an annulment, meaning that technically he was never married to Elia and, I guess, that all his children by her are bastards and Jon becomes his only heir.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rhaegar named two of his kids Aegon because he thought one of them will be the last hero. Thousands of years ago another war against the Others took place during the Long Night.

According to stories, it ended in the defeat of the Others at the Battle for the Dawn or the last hero or through the actions of Azor Ahai. Ellia Martell and child (Aegon) had already been murdered when Jon Aegon Snow Stark Targaryen was born anyways so its not like there really was 2 Aegons.

He knew a son of named Aegon was destined to sit on the Iron Throne. And since names carry value, perhaps he knew that by naming his new son Aegon it would help him some day become King.
The first Aegon was Aegon the Conquerer, who (along with his three dragons) originally united all of the Seven Kingdoms and most recent Aegon to sit on the Iron Throne was Aegon V. He was called "Egg" by Maester Aemon.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Constant posted:

Rhaegar named two of his kids Aegon because he thought one of them will be the last hero. Thousands of years ago another war against the Others took place during the Long Night.

According to stories, it ended in the defeat of the Others at the Battle for the Dawn or the last hero or through the actions of Azor Ahai. Ellia Martell and child (Aegon) had already been murdered when Jon Aegon Snow Stark Targaryen was born anyways so its not like there really was 2 Aegons.

He knew a son of named Aegon was destined to sit on the Iron Throne. And since names carry value, perhaps he knew that by naming his new son Aegon it would help him some day become King.
The first Aegon was Aegon the Conquerer, who (along with his three dragons) originally united all of the Seven Kingdoms and most recent Aegon to sit on the Iron Throne was Aegon V. He was called "Egg" by Maester Aemon.

Actually we don't know who named Jon "Aegon" - it could just as well have been Lyanna who wanted to gently caress over Ellia one more time. Additionally your timeline is wrong, since Rhaegar dies first and King's Landing is well after that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually we don't know who named Jon "Aegon" - it could just as well have been Lyanna who wanted to gently caress over Ellia one more time. Additionally your timeline is wrong, since Rhaegar dies first and King's Landing is well after that.

Why would Lyanna have any animosity towards Ellia Martell? She probably felt bad for her and sheepishly guilty. Pregnancy takes 9 months and im sure Rhaegar made his wishes known plenty of times in regards to names.

All of this is :spergin: anyways. people keep asking why he named 2 kids Aegon so i explained why.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I like the King of the Hill - version "Aegon and Good Aegon" better

Although I also liked when the Real Negus thought his name is "Igor or something"

Igor Targaryen, leader of the cossacks

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I don't mind the 2 Aegons, but the annulment is silly. Rhaegar should have pulled an Aegon and taken a 2nd wife

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Maybe it turns out that Elia was just as lovely as all the sand snakes

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/kVFjaOyAWd4

I don't care if someone already posted this, my original jokes must be heard.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Lloyd Boner posted:

Maybe it turns out that Elia was just as lovely as all the sand snakes

Elia: You want that bad pussy, husband.
Rhaegar: I want a loving divorce.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doesn't Oberyn have some lines in the book that imply Elia knew about Lyanna, and was cool with it? She couldn't give Rhaegar any more children and likely knew he wanted a third.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

esperterra posted:

Doesn't Oberyn have some lines in the book that imply Elia knew about Lyanna, and was cool with it? She couldn't give Rhaegar any more children and likely knew he wanted a third.

I don't remember who said it, but Rhaegar is obsessed with prophecy and needed to have a third child and couldn't with Elia. Also he is described as a harp playing Chad with a heart of gold that hypnotized women.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Praising GoT is trolling now?

Awesome

Good to know

I shall change my mindset at once and start endlessly griping about it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it hasn't been good for three season so yeah.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So the dead formed the Stark Sigil walking passed the wall giving more people who think Bran is the Night King evidence to believe in. Great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

it hasn't been good for three season so yeah.
Finally getting to the entire premise the show was about isn't a good thing?

What an....interesting view of writing you have

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the good part was the non supernatural politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think Jon is named Aegon in the show because GRRM told D&D that that's his name. It makes more sense for GRRM to do because he doesn't simplify names in the books and has all these confusing characters - the Kettleblacks all have similar names, the Freys, Big Walder and Little Walder but little Walder is big and Big Walder is little. It's one of those weird details that is sort of historically based and happens in real life but you don't see often in ficton that he does from time to time.

Oh and earlier this season the sheeple maesters scoffed at a prophecy claiming the Drowned Men would be the end of Aegon the Conqueror so Jon is going to be killed by Euron.

• Locked thread