Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I accidentally said a number when asked in a recruiter intro call.

it was so natural I didn't even notice it happening. recruiters should be detectives or something ffs.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if you want to be noticed you can do what contractors do and have a long rear end email signature that takes three pages. bonus points if you reply above or below quoted text at random to mix it up. :unsmigghh:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leper khan posted:

I accidentally said a number when asked in a recruiter intro call.

it was so natural I didn't even notice it happening. recruiters should be detectives or something ffs.

:negative:

I hope the number you said was at least 1.1x what you expect to get on a good day.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qhat posted:

I hope the number you said was at least 1.1x what you expect to get on a good day.

more like 1x what i should currently be pulling and ~1.1x where I'm at now.

:frogdowns::ughh::rip:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sometimes it's not bad to say a number up front if it can save you a ton of time and effort, there's still people out there who post jobs to recruiters at like 40% below market rate

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've interviewed at places that won't even give a range until you fly out there for an on-site set of interviews and it's always a huge pain in the rear end. Like give a range or some poo poo.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

sometimes it's not bad to say a number up front if it can save you a ton of time and effort, there's still people out there who post jobs to recruiters at like 40% below market rate

this recently happened to my partner, mainly due to a decade of anchoring

if you lowball yourself early you might not get out of it for awhile

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw i am not trying to be mean mononcqc. your posting is good and i bet you can actually deliver cool and good stuff for your employer

this sounds like the prelude to cqcboss saying "... But we're going to have to let you go"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Interview scheduled for Thursday! :toot:

It's with an Engineering Manager and 2 Senior Engineers which seems like a bit of overkill for an entry-level Software Engineering position.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is that the entire team though?

i worked at a place that was mid+ for a while, too much work left not enough time for mentoring or even checking junior work

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have legitimately added this photo to my LinkedIn profile, :lol:

3¼ figgies in 6 months and completed on time, need to hustle for more work.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

JawnV6 posted:

is that the entire team though?

i worked at a place that was mid+ for a while, too much work left not enough time for mentoring or even checking junior work

No, there's like 6-8 teams at the campus this job is at and this is a pretty large org with a couple locations in my area.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MrMoo posted:

I have legitimately added this photo to my LinkedIn profile, :lol:

3¼ figgies in 6 months and completed on time, need to hustle for more work.

sweet gains.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firms are prone to cut dead wood whether or not total payroll costs rise afterwards

every high-dollar 100%-remote do-nothing you cut is potentially two new headcount for your division!

why do they ever hire the high-dollar remote guys in the first place?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

use it or lose it headcount budgeting

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Cheaper than hiring a contractor.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol at these blistering hot 1992 takes on remote work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new job status update: poo poo is hitting the fan at extreme velocity around here right now because of poor decisions by my predecessors. my colleagues are scrambling for a fix while I'm chilled out because this code is terminally hosed and none of it is my fault.

not to say that I'm not doing work, but this release is going to be poo poo and there's nothing I can do to stop that. my goal is to try to get future releases to be non-garbage.

The Management fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 29, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you should keep a tight focus on actively demonstrating how much cool and good stuff you are delivering!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Keep a word ( or latex if you are completely broke brained ) doc and every time you do something vaguely useful or interesting add a single line about it. Makes it super loving easy at review time and you're not thinking, what the gently caress did I do this quarter ?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you ask people what they're working on, tell them it's cool, then mention what you are working on, wait for them to say "holy poo poo that's way cooler", then do a 360 and moonwalk your way out of there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i can barely remember what i did in the last week, :rip: me. but i did manage to put together a list of projects i was pretty much crucial for getting done for my last review and got a 14% raise out of it, so its good advice and everybody should do the same. still a poo poo job but pays the bills for now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

you ask people what they're working on, tell them it's cool, then mention what you are working on, wait for them to say "holy poo poo that's way cooler", then do a 360 and moonwalk your way out of there

Also, text pictures of your :flaccid: to that cute HR generalist at the Corporate HQ around 3:30 AM.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jesus christ that username post combo :eyepop:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I unironically keep paper notes of poo poo I do, experiments I run, and meetings I attend at work.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

love 2 self promote

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jre posted:

Jesus christ that username post combo :eyepop:

Actually, I specified flaccidity rather than tumescence?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

I unironically keep paper notes of poo poo I do, experiments I run, and meetings I attend at work.

having an up to date CYA paper trail is the mark of a smart and experienced cog in the corporate machine

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

having an up to date CYA paper trail is the mark of a smart and experienced cog in the corporate machine

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

always be cya

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the truth is I like fiddling with pens and if I don't take a shitton of notes I'll have the same one for 4 years without any reasonable reason to get new ones.

the other truth is that poo poo works way better for everyone involved if after a meeting you can send people a summary of what was discussed with action items assigned to specific team or people.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the great part about having a real job is you don't have to make up stories about the work you've done every time someone asks you why they should keep paying you

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ditch digging would be more rewarding and valuable than some of my programmer jobs tbh.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

jony neuemonic posted:

ditch digging is more rewarding and valuable than programmer jobs tbh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got my work laptop today

it’s a 2017 retina mbp with 512gb ssd and 16 gigs of ram :eyepop:

I also get my first figgies this week. hale yase

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ditch digging would probably be less mentally stressful though i'd rather not be in a work crew under the arizona sun tbh

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So do we know what Stymie actually does?

My money is on senior software developer engineer at Uber, an MBA in MIS, and a former TKE brother.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I used to dig ditches. You get a good tan and you don't have to go to the gym after work.

OTOH figgies

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I used to dig ditches. You get a good tan and you don't have to go to the gym after work.

OTOH figgies

The happiest job I ever had was as a parkie during high school. Spearing trash and setting up snow-fence (to retain crowds at the lakefront) wasn't that bad and during the school year I worked part-time as a parking booth guy on the weekends.

Smoked pot and listened to NPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
braindead jobs are a good relief from mental effort. when you have to do them forever it is excruciating. that's why people that do them are high all the time.

• Locked thread