Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Play a everything available in your starting city for a bit to see what you like most and then play the one you do like the most up until you can go to the other two starter cities and then try those classes too and proceed with the class you like most after that

low level isn't a very good indicator for what a class ultimately plays like but it's at least a good enough indicator to tell if you're going to vehemently dislike something to its very core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bolow posted:

So a friend of mine has convinced me to try this game out and I'm kind of paralyzed by class choice. I played a ton of DPS Warrior in WoW but it looks like all the plate wearing classes are tanks? Dragoon looks interesting but I've heard from a friend of a friend that they're kind of poo poo right now.

I just want to hit things with a big rear end weapon but not pigeon hole myself into an undesirable role at the end game

"Plate wearing class" isn't a phrase that makes sense in this game. From level 1-49 there's tank gear, caster gear, and physical DPS gear. From 50-70 there's tank gear, healer gear, DPS caster gear, ranged physical DPS gear, monk+samurai gear, ninja gear, and dragoon gear. Basically, your class is only capable of equipping gear meant for it (outside of a few 1.0 holdover corner cases in 1-49 content). If you're looking for the aesthetics of plate armor on a DPS, that's dragoon, no question.

As a dragoon lifer, I can assure you that they're fine right now. There's at most one class that's so bad you'll feel them weighing you down in raids and it ain't dragoon (and even that class is fine in clean runs, you just might barely enrage in messy runs that another class might have barely cleared). Outside of savage raids, there are zero classes that are so bad that you shouldn't play them on that basis alone. Dragoon was in a bad spot in 4.0 but 4.05 and 4.06 both buffed them and they're completely fine now, full stop.

Play a dragoon if:
--You want the heavily-armored aesthetic on a DPS
--You like the idea of shooting lasers shaped like dragons at things
--You think spears are cool
--You want a class that is challenging to play optimally, but doesn't punish you very hard for minor mistakes
--You like the idea of boosting other players' DPS
--You like the idea of alternating high-speed button pressing phases with more relaxed phases

Don't play dragoon if:
--You don't like the idea of losing your class resource whenever the boss goes invincible for too long
--You want to put out sicknasty personal DPS numbers
--You don't like being a melee and having to hug the boss
--You want a class that's easy to master
--You want a class that rewards you strongly for putting the effort in to master it

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I've been learning warrior recently and I don't know what people are complaining about. the rotation feels fine and does hella dps when you get it right. you don't get the million utility skills that PLD does but that's life.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't exactly sure how the multiclass thing worked but it seems relatively painless. Guess I'll go whack things with a halberd tonight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The classes people complain about the most aren't the worst classes, they're the ones that people liked in Heavensward. Every class received notable changes, so for any class people loved in Heavensward, there's gonna be a notable section of its playerbase that wishes no changes had happened.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't play dragoon if:
--You want a class that rewards you strongly for putting the effort in to master it

I'd argue that it does but then it's just down to personal preference.

Also I had suppressed the resource thing from my memory thanks for reminding me :gonk:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holmgang is legitimately kind of clunky. You can't really abuse it in dungeon pulls like you can HG or LD+bene. It really only shines in a fight where you have to deal with constant oneshot tank mechanics and the boss doesn't autoattack afterwards.

Wait...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd argue that it does but then it's just down to personal preference.

Also I had suppressed the resource thing from my memory thanks for reminding me :gonk:

I thought it was fairly unambiguous that the DPS difference between a good dragoon and a great dragoon wasn't that high? Screwing up Life of the Dragon only loses you one Nastrond, and they recently went through and made every single positional less punishing. I could be missing something though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm considering being bad with money, is the Yuna outfit dyeable?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lizard Wizard posted:

If it's the same one I got from the livestream rewards, yes it is.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't play dragoon if:
--You don't like the idea of losing your class resource whenever the boss goes invincible for too long
--You want to put out sicknasty personal DPS numbers
--You don't like being a melee and having to hug the boss
--You want a class that's easy to master
-You hate AoE indicators

Come on now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah starting at level 30 and lasting until you git gud, you will hit your animation lock move right as an AoE appears, every time, without fail. You will have to repeat the gitting gud process for every new fight

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello being bad with money friend, i would have bought Ser Amyerics gear but it's restricted to males only. :sigh:

At least I've got the play dead emote

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

It is, yes. I've seen people wearing it dyed all the time

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alright, the Ala Mhigan Aiming gear looks pretty good.

Except the hat. The chinstrap is dumb, and the goggles are superior anyhow.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speaking of dragoon, finally hit 70 with it last night and got my glamour squared away.

And then it started raining.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My dragoon cosplay is I look like an unusually well-coordinated generic NPC. I like that look a lot

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, the Ala Mhigan Aiming gear looks pretty good.

Except the hat. The chinstrap is dumb, and the goggles are superior anyhow.

Ala Mhigan aiming coats OK, but it's no Nue Togi.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

My dragoon cosplay is I look like an unusually well-coordinated generic NPC. I like that look a lot

My ideal dragoon glamour is to look like a landsknecht but tragically DRGs cannot wear the red onion helm, the best hat

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Sarrisan posted:

I've been learning warrior recently and I don't know what people are complaining about. the rotation feels fine and does hella dps when you get it right. you don't get the million utility skills that PLD does but that's life.

My only complaints left after the balance pass before are:

Shake it off is dumb (they said they're working on it)
Onslaught feels unnecessarily burdened by costing BG.
Enhanced Infuriate doesn't seem to do much except muddle the synchronicity with Berserk and Inner Release.
The Holmgang root effect doesnt work on any enemies at all anymore and basically only exists to let you get owned like an immobile doofus.

The class plays great, and I have quite a lot of fun with it now. It was kind of garbage when SB first released though. I'd like them to look at those items though because 3 out of 5 new skills being underwhelming kinda sucks when PLD got nothing but cool new toys.

You know what owns though? Wiping the party in V2S because Inner Release didn't drop off before the tank/healer knockback, and I forgot, twice, that it has a secondary effect.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 29, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Holmgangs best use will always have been in pvp where you could drag people off of cliffs with you.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bolow posted:

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't exactly sure how the multiclass thing worked but it seems relatively painless. Guess I'll go whack things with a halberd tonight

"relatively" is an understatement, if you've unlocked the class you can change to it simply by equipping the appropriate weapon, pretty much everywhere except while in combat

anyway yeah I'll repeat everyone else saying that the differences you hear about are people spergin' about the hardest content in the game, in a game where changing to a different class has almost no cost. that said, do be aware that the game is designed as Baby's First MMO to accommodate FF fans who've never played one before, and lancer/dragoon particularly suffers for lacking engaging combat mechanics at lower levels - as in, there's a stretch where your best DPS is keeping a ~20-second buff up and just hitting a single button the rest of the time. But it'll get more complex, just don't be put off.

Shere posted:

You know what owns though? Wiping the party in V2S because Inner Release didn't drop off before the tank/healer knockback, and I forgot, twice, that it has a secondary effect.

yep, been there. I have to wonder how many warriors go through this, because IR comes off cooldown from the standard opener at juuuust the right time to gently caress you. we were so confused (reading tooltips is for nerds)

e: also yeah the post-release patches helped, mostly how your gauge no longer gets halved on switching stances (god, why was that ever a thing?) I still think that Onslaught should have a minimum range and generate gauge though

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 29, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

World War Mammories posted:

as in, there's a stretch where your best DPS is keeping a ~20-second buff up and just hitting a single button the rest of the time. But it'll get more complex, just don't be put off.

Not true anymore, they tweaked potencies so you keep up a buff and press 2 buttons now! (True + Vorpal Thrust is 10 more potency than Impulse Drive x2 :v:)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Pick your class for fun. Whether or not it's "good" won't matter for like 100 hours of gameplay unless you use all of the skip potions. And if you do, it super won't matter, because you can just jump something else and play that.

vOv posted:

Also I'm sure most people picked it up but the area you go to in the Rising event is the jail GMs use when lecturing players.

That's hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can only skip potion one job sadly. I'd love to play with a friend on another server but fuuuuuuck leveling up again.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

Also I'm sure most people picked it up but the area you go to in the Rising event is the jail GMs use when lecturing players.

I thought cat jail was but a rumor. That its a thing and they actively used it for content is great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Same gaol as XI had, too. Just touched up a bit (wow, a door!)

https://youtu.be/NWmD9fRj3QA

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Shere posted:

My only complaints left after the balance pass before are:

Shake it off is dumb (they said they're working on it)
Onslaught feels unnecessarily burdened by costing BG.
Enhanced Infuriate doesn't seem to do much except muddle the synchronicity with Berserk and Inner Release.
The Holmgang root effect doesnt work on any enemies at all anymore and basically only exists to let you get owned like an immobile doofus.

The class plays great, and I have quite a lot of fun with it now. It was kind of garbage when SB first released though. I'd like them to look at those items though because 3 out of 5 new skills being underwhelming kinda sucks when PLD got nothing but cool new toys.

WAR is in an odd spot right now, presumably because the class designer and the fight designer had some major disconnects. While it's still mostly functional as a tank, its intended role with its Inner Release immunities and Shake It Off cleansing was that it could facetank mechanics that others couldn't and continue cratering the boss' skull, which would've been fine... if it weren't for many mechanics running off of "oh you hosed up? this debuff is your penalty" logic that makes the debuffs neither blockable nor cleanseable. O2S mentioned above is a good example because it's the one time in the fight where you want to be knocked back so Inner Release is a detriment, and the only time Shake It Off works in the entire raid tier is in O3S if you fail to dodge Fire or Thunder (but not Blizzard for some reason! :argh:).

These issues could be overlooked if WAR did more damage, but that's the other problem with the class right now: PLD and DRK are fully capable of matching it point for point. This is bad because PLD and DRK have a good helping of party utility, while all WAR gets is a Slashing debuff (which is more for its own benefit), so by balance logic its lack of party utility should be offset by higher damage than the other tanks - and with the "facetank and self-cleanse" idea not working, this simply isn't the case.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah but can PLD or DRK smash dudes face in with a huge axe? I think not. :smug:

I play Hammer in Monster Hunter and alot of WAR's animations are reminiscent of that so i feel very much at home playing them over any of the other tank classes. With that said i got WAR to 70 and i don't really have an urge to continue gearing them up at all and will probably be doing PLD next :v:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
That was a good event.

They changed spec!?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shere posted:

Bards can one shot the entire party in v1.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah but can PLD or DRK smash dudes face in with a huge axe? I think not. :smug:

I play Hammer in Monster Hunter and alot of WAR's animations are reminiscent of that so i feel very much at home playing them over any of the other tank classes. With that said i got WAR to 70 and i don't really have an urge to continue gearing them up at all and will probably be doing PLD next :v:

It is absolute bullshit and completely inexcusable that DRK got the sword glamour off the giant robot in Yanxia, AND they got a Kanabo glamour for their PVP weapon.

Where is the loving justice here, SE?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DRK has the best drat weapon glams in general.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Still waiting for the Berserk crossover that enables god's chosen tank to lord over everyone with Guts' gear.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

reasons to bring warrior that trumps any problems you may have with them: they bring slashing on a not dumb timer

paladin and dark knight bring none of these also dark knight is a nightmare to heal

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

reasons to bring warrior that trumps any problems you may have with them: they bring slashing on a not dumb timer

paladin and dark knight bring none of these also dark knight is a nightmare to heal

A mediocre Dark Knight is infinitely easier to heal than a mediocre Warrior and there are a shitload more mediocre Warriors than good Warriors.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

nobody's gonna be talking about the general idiot populace when they talk about which jobs are bad and good

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I switched from a WAR main in HW to a DRK main in SB and I miss WAR defensive cooldowns so much.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

we do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Farg posted:

we do it

Nice. Enjoy the hell. My static got to Grand Cross Omega as a whole group today.