Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those "when this is dealt damage do X" mechanic cards seem real good for limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Am I crazy for thinking that Revel in Riches might actually be kind of good? Obviously it remains to be seen how easy it is to get treasure, but I feel like with Treasure Map, the treasure that Revel itself gives you, and just a few other cards that it'd be pretty doable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

it's a 7 mana doran, the siege tower

doran is a fine man but I'm not sure why he needs to cost 7

It's the gold uncommon that guides GW in draft, not a pushed-to-the-loving-limit 3-color rare that would've been mythic had mythic rarity been introduced one block sooner. Let's not pretend Doran is just "a fine man." He is the finest man in the world. A man so fine that a card as ridiculous as Anafenza the Foremost is a sidegrade.

If this dino were as pushed per-mana as Doran, it'd be 4/12 with at least three keywords.

And, yes, the 4 power is so it can fight things. Fighting with Dinosaurs is going to be a thing because fights trigger Enrage.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I can't wait to build a dinosaur fling deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pinterest Mom posted:

That flavour text is basically "It is okay for us to print this card on a plane that doesn't have dragons", which is just so clunky and badly executed.

This is something that should be applauded, not bitched about.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Fighting with Dinosaurs is going to be a thing because fights trigger Enrage.

I just want to appreciate the grammar of MTG that allows this sentence to be mechanically sound

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

This is something that should be applauded, not bitched about.

Not an emptyquote.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The flavor text is always clunky no matter what, unless it's A Love Song of Night and Day or someone's last words.

This clunky flavor text means I get to use my m13 dragonskull summits, and remember that that art is actually metal as all hell.

And I get to use this metal as hell thing to cast pirates.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I am a loving SPACE-TRAVEL WIZARD who draws the power of DRAGON SKULL MOUNTAINS SPEWING loving LAVA to CONJURE NUMEROUS PIRATES and OH NO my opponent who is also A SPACE-TRAVEL WIZARD has ensorcelled one of my pirates and his DINOSAUR THAT IS AN AZTEC SUN GOD to FIGHT TO THE DEATH and of course the loving dinosaur won but now it's ANGRY AND RAMPAGING and it is TEARING MY poo poo UP!!!

This is the actual flavor of Ixalan.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Deathless Ancient 4BB
Creature — Vampire Knight (Uncommon)
Flying
Tap three untapped Vampires you control: Return Deathless Ancient from your graveyard to your hand.
4/4[/QUOTE]

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Want to give a shout out to the awesome art on Admiral Beckett. It's the artists mom turned into a pirate.

https://twitter.com/rhineville/status/902203768795799554

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There is some hardcore rope bullshit going on in that painting and I fuckin love it. Props to the artist.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't wait to cast Admiral Mom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

Want to give a shout out to the awesome art on Admiral Beckett. It's the artists mom turned into a pirate.

I really hope this card is good because I want to get 4 of it

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Tainen posted:

Deathless Ancient 4BB
Creature — Vampire Knight (Uncommon)
Flying
Tap three untapped Vampires you control: Return Deathless Ancient from your graveyard to your hand.
4/4

I wish this was a more aggressively costed Rare

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So wait there's ten transform lands? I imagine they won't all be as great as the first one, but still, that's pretty nice.

BJPaskoff posted:

Gotta give them credit for coming up with a flavor reason to have a "Dragonskull" place in a plane that doesn't have dragons. Much better than coming up with five new functional reprints to avoid using one name that doesn't fit.
Gotta give them credit for saving filters for masters sets, even though that's a stupid waste, and reprinting a cycle that doesn't actually fit instead of a cycle that would.

Probably the literal only thing I'm upset with, so far this set is just amazing looking. Admiral Mom!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Tainen posted:

This is both amazing and super adorable.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't wait to cast Admiral Mom.

She's going into my bolas control deck that is now going to be a pirate deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tainen posted:

Owns bones.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What was that story about mtgo coding and the Archetypes from Born of the Gods?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

odiv posted:

What was that story about mtgo coding and the Archetypes from Born of the Gods?

The only way they could code Archetype of Imagination was to go through every single card that involved Flying in the entire game and write individual code for each one of them to have that card's Flying stop applying while Archetype of Imagination is on the field. Same with all the other Archetypes with their respective keywords.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dinos being overcosted is disappointing, hopefully the treasure mechanic can mitigate that

Dino.dec needs to be standard playable

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

As time goes on, creatures have become more aggressively costed in Magic. So really it makes perfect sense that prehistoric creatures are overcosted.

And thanks for that Archetype story. Whew.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LordAbaddon posted:

Dinos being overcosted is disappointing, hopefully the treasure mechanic can mitigate that

Dino.dec needs to be standard playable

It makes for an unusual, interesting limited environment though.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mehall posted:

Sounds like a planeswalker who can't leave.
It's an interesting idea that i'm sure they've never done before.

E: goddamnit! ^^^^

I think the gimmick is that NO Planeswalker can leave Ixalan. Vraska was sent there by Bolas to do something (presumably related to nobody being able to leave), and she was stated to have vanished in a weird way. Angrath ended up there on accident and got stuck. Vraska will meet amnesia Jace, and decide not to kill him so he can solve the stupid puzzle on how to get the toy Bolas wants. Stupid toy will probably end up fixing Jace's memory and Jace gets a powerup and we get hints at going to Vrynn at some point. Vraska zooms off with the toy deciding after spending time with jace as her cabin boy she's less mad at him and lets him live or alternatively Jace with all his memories smashes Vraska.

The treasure map having a Khopesh ties into this. Ixalan is the plane where planar stuff washes up. It also explains why it's a weird smash up of pirates vs dinosaurs. The pirates are people who ended up there from elsewhere.

My dumb prediction for the last block.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 29, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ixalan doesn't exist, it's all a dream and Jace needs to wake the Wind Fish to get out.

Old lady pirate is Marin.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ixalan doesn't exist, it's all a dream and Jace needs to wake the Wind Fish to get out.

This is now my headcanon for this block.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

anglachel posted:

I think the gimmick is that NO Planeswalker can leave Ixalan. Vraska was sent there by Bolas to do something (presumably related to nobody being able to leave), and she was stated to have vanished in a weird way. Angrath ended up there on accident and got stuck. Vraska will meet amnesia Jace, and decide not to kill him so he can solve the stupid puzzle on how to get the toy Bolas wants. Stupid toy will probably end up fixing Jace's memory and Jace gets a powerup and we get hints at going to Vrynn at some point. Vraska zooms off with the toy deciding after spending time with jace as her cabin boy she's less mad at him and lets him live or alternatively Jace with all his memories smashes Vraska.

The treasure map having a Khopesh ties into this. Ixalan is the plane where planar stuff washes up. It also explains why it's a weird smash up of pirates vs dinosaurs. The pirates are people who ended up there from elsewhere.

So Ixalan is a slide cage?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's the gold uncommon that guides GW in draft, not a pushed-to-the-loving-limit 3-color rare that would've been mythic had mythic rarity been introduced one block sooner. Let's not pretend Doran is just "a fine man." He is the finest man in the world. A man so fine that a card as ridiculous as Anafenza the Foremost is a sidegrade.

If this dino were as pushed per-mana as Doran, it'd be 4/12 with at least three keywords.

And, yes, the 4 power is so it can fight things. Fighting with Dinosaurs is going to be a thing because fights trigger Enrage.

I mean, obviously the card was never going to be as good as Doran, but there's a lot of space between a 3 mana 5/5 and a 7 mana 6/6.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Collect twenty treasure tokens for a surprise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Collect twenty treasure tokens for a surprise.

But Wizards doesn't make any good equipment anymore?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

I mean, obviously the card was never going to be as good as Doran, but there's a lot of space between a 3 mana 5/5 and a 7 mana 6/6.

It's part of the color shaping uncommon cycle they do for limited. It communicates GW's shtick very well.

Big bodies with fat backs.
High costs.
DINOSAURS.

It's also 2 colors compared to Doran's 3. Yes they could make it better but unless removal is extremely efficient it's going to be a limited house.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

anglachel posted:

That actually sounds pretty cool

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

anglachel posted:

I don't think we can use "smash" as a term for anything anymore.

Because I can't tell if you mean "beats the poo poo out of Vraska" or "has weird, gorgon sex with Vraska".

Everything else is cool though.

C-Euro posted:

But Wizards doesn't make any good equipment anymore?

What are you talking about? They just printed Heart of Kiran and Smuggler's Copter.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 30, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tainen posted:

Urwurzel-Gewässer 2U
Enchantment - UC
Every time you cast a Merfolk spell create a 1/1 Merfolk creature token with hexproof

bring back tribal dammit

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

weird, gorgon sex with Vraska

How would it be weird? I mean, I don't know about you, but gorgons get me rock hard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Eikre posted:

How would it be weird? I mean, I don't know about you, but gorgons get me rock hard.

Oh no

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

bring back tribal dammit

I still don't get why they got rid of it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

bring back tribal dammit

if tribal were coming back in ixalan, this card would have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

LordAbaddon posted:

I still don't get why they got rid of it

It's kinda wonky rules wise and it'd be odd that cards like goblin grenade don't have it but they should've just bit the bullet and kept with it. Don't think players would bat an eye at it today if they had.