Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

minato posted:

When I lived there in the days before Google Maps, every retail store flyer or party invite had a map insert to show you how to find the place, and taxi drivers would regularly have to pull over to consult a paper map.

I worked our shipping/billing software for some places in Latin America and we had to re-jig the whole "Address 1 / Address 2 / City / State / Zip" fields because in some places the address was like "Go past the big banana tree on the left and it's 2 houses past the dead tractor on the right".

i can handle that, but i refuse to believe everyone in addis ababa knows where everyone else lives already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I for one want to know more about Xenoestrogens.

I like that the Phantom Time Hypothesis made the list though.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Aug 29, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deteriorata posted:

Numerical addresses are a comparatively modern thing. Mail delivery has traditionally depended on carriers who knew their routes and knew who lived where. If you addressed a letter to "Mrs. Smith in the house across the street from the crooked Oak tree" it would get delivered.

Yeah, you still see it in lovely little towns, or lovely little towns in movies. Some house will the "the old McCleary House" and everybody in town knows what house that is, even though no McCleary has lived there isn 40 years.

It works fine until the population becomes hyper mobile. If you spend your whole life within 5 miles of your birthplace it's easy to know where everything is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
WARNING unspoiler at potentially serious risk to your life maybe for real!

Stop reminding people that Roko's Basilisk could conceivably exist! You are complicit in all our hypothetical deaths!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

I like how "Androids" is listed twice. Like there's a conspiracy of androids, then there's another, deeper android conspiracy.

You are not a mobile developer are you?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
When I worked in West Africa I had a visa renewed using the address "Near the statue of such an such, ask for the white guy."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pick posted:

Haha programmers are frail

We have great wrist muscles though.

hmm.. perhaps I should rephrase that

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Karate Bastard posted:

You are not a mobile developer are you?

The only development I participate in is my gut, which definitely makes me more sedentary.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Still, that was a p deece av/username/post combo.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

PittTheElder posted:

I for one want to know more about Xenoestrogens.

I like that the Phantom Time Hypothesis made the list though.

That wiki is amazing. It's literally "actually history did happen and here's some sources for that".

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

The Bloop posted:

WARNING unspoiler at potentially serious risk to your life maybe for real!

Stop reminding people that Roko's Basilisk could conceivably exist! You are complicit in all our hypothetical deaths!

I didn't know what this was so I googled it and there was a slate article about it and the first sentences were

quote:

Slender Man. Smile Dog. Goatse. These are some of the urban legends spawned by the Internet. 

Buddy, goatse isn't an urban legend. I've seen it. I've posted it. I've sent it to friends under the pretense of sending them pictures of my cat.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah goatse is just a dude with a stretchy butt, his name is Kirk Johnson. He puts power tools in his rear end sometimes too, there are pictures of that as well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Dubai and the UAE , generally thought of as being modern places at least infrastructure wise, does not have street addresses for the most part. There was no national postal system at all until 2001, and even then, all that was established was a network of post offices with PO boxes that you could rent and also mail stuff out. The post office does not deliver mail to people's homes. I had to resort to "the building beside the miNistry of tourism with the big red symbol" despite living in a modern skyscraper with a parkade full of Ferraris and rolls royces when I wanted to order a pizza.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Yeah goatse was just a dude with a stretchy butt, his name was Kirk Johnson. He put power tools in his rear end sometimes too, there are pictures of that as well.

FTFY

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Aww, I didn't know that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Heh heh heh ... Johnson.

Edit: oh :smith: RIP

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

He puts power tools in his rear end sometimes too, there are pictures of that as well.

:cop: Safest place to store them overnight.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

[INAUDIBLE] is definitely my favorite type of cheese.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

[citation needed]

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

For some reason I went to look and there are articles that mention him being alive and active from 2014 and articles claiming he was dead in 2010.

I choose to believe that the Goatman is no mere mortal, but a cultural icon who will be with us always. :unsmith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

areyoucontagious posted:

Buddy, goatse isn't an urban legend.

"Urban legend" doesn't mean "false." There are plenty of true urban legends. If it's talked about in hushed tones around the urban campfire, it's an urban legend.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Not gonna lie, if Godzilla stood on that mountain and fought the aliens from Close Encounters, I'd watch it.

Could they somehow use the scene in UHF where Weird Al sculpts the mountain out of mashed potatoes and says "this means something this is important "

Just spitballing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJk39QSujA

or the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecJLI-GRuU

I think I might just be hungry actually

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Maybe they could fight at a clown college? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUk19cWarI

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

How do you know it's cheese? :tinfoil:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

To be fair, most cheese is inaudible. Apart from Halloumi which is a bit squeaky.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe they could fight at a clown college? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUk19cWarI

I'll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Heh heh heh ... Johnson.

Edit: oh :smith: RIP

Don't worry, the article about the Goatse dude dying was a stupid joke article, the Kirk Johnson who died this year was a guy who played the drums for Prince, and was very much not the Goatse dude.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

I'll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way.

As a Harvard man myself I shall refer to Yale and Princeton as the intellectual slums they are.

While I'm busy with my side-project of writing Bored of the Rings and trying to get on Coco's good side

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Twitch posted:

Don't worry, the article about the Goatse dude dying was a stupid joke article, the Kirk Johnson who died this year was a guy who played the drums for Prince, and was very much not the Goatse dude.

Oh, my bad. I thought he had died for real.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Gather 'round younguns and listen to my tale.
Story about a man named Kirk
They say he was half-goat half-man, sailed the seven seas, made his home on Christmas Island. Always searching for that next conical object, his gape-lust could ne‘er be tamed.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

syscall girl posted:

As a Harvard man myself I shall refer to Yale and Princeton as the intellectual slums they are.

While I'm busy with my side-project of writing Bored of the Rings and trying to get on Coco's good side

BotR is still quite funny after all these decades.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

syscall girl posted:

Back, back into the squash court with you!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In before "I got Moon Moon". :newlol:

What kind of weak rear end poo poo is hybernation? You need to sleep one year out of every ten? I sleep more than that now.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/902393228346916865

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Facebook Aunt posted:

In before "I got Moon Moon". :newlol:

What kind of weak rear end poo poo is hybernation? You need to sleep one year out of every ten? I sleep more than that now.

But where's Landerig?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fort Wayne? Stayed at a hotel across the street from this place for my friend's wedding. It must be there most famous act, when I was there it was "The Midgets are back soon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What is this, a post for ants? I can't read that!