Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how the hackers released spoilers about the season finale and nobody cared. Also I think most of that was on reddit months ago already.

Why, just to be dicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

Everything was spoiled months ago by someone in production. Supposedly so is next season but the source seems more dubious.

That was last season. This season's spoilers were like 90% just from people spying on filming locations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah I definitely read accurate spoilers for this season some time last year even.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rD96Kv4r4Q

Kat Harrington only stars in costume dramas apparently. This could be cool, I know nothing about the Guy Fawkes poo poo besides internet cooption of iconography.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if he'll ever cut his hair. He did a british spy movie and he looked like he just stepped off the Game of Thrones set.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rD96Kv4r4Q

Kat Harrington only stars in costume dramas apparently. This could be cool, I know nothing about the Guy Fawkes poo poo besides internet cooption of iconography.

Watch 7 Days in Hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if he'll ever cut his hair. He did a british spy movie and he looked like he just stepped off the Game of Thrones set.

He isn't allowed to until GoT is done filming. It's in his contract.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly I think that HBO would love to keep GoT going forever but the cast is starting to chafe under the extremely difficult shooting conditions and the fact that they're all probably having to turn down major motion picture deals (and not being able to cut their hair). I read somewhere that the cast's salary is fully half of the production costs and that's for a show with as high production standards as has ever been on TV. I mean if you're Sophie Turner or Maisie Williams you've spent your entire teenage years shooting GoT on location.

Anyway, it's the only reason I can think they'd cut their episode order from 10 to 7, though most of the episodes next season are supposed to be feature length.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Anyway, it's the only reason I can think they'd cut their episode order from 10 to 7, though most of the episodes next season are supposed to be feature length.

That's promising, insomuch as the shortened episode order is really loving up the pacing of the show. There is, and I'm surprised as anyone to be saying this, something as having your plotting being too tight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doesn't GOT shoot for like 300 days a year? I'm pretty sure anyone would get sick of that after a while.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think that was two largely separate crews though, at least in the early seasons where the settings and characters weren't all together.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Honestly I think that HBO would love to keep GoT going forever but the cast is starting to chafe under the extremely difficult shooting conditions and the fact that they're all probably having to turn down major motion picture deals (and not being able to cut their hair). I read somewhere that the cast's salary is fully half of the production costs and that's for a show with as high production standards as has ever been on TV. I mean if you're Sophie Turner or Maisie Williams you've spent your entire teenage years shooting GoT on location.

It's understandable but on the other hand almost nobody moves up or even sideways from this kind of TV success so they should enjoy it while it lasts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only people I've even gotten a hint of "I'm sick of this poo poo" is the showrunners.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they wanna get on and do their what if we still had slavery show

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It's understandable but on the other hand almost nobody moves up or even sideways from this kind of TV success so they should enjoy it while it lasts.

No one ever remembers the lesson David Caruso taught us.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

The only people I've even gotten a hint of "I'm sick of this poo poo" is the showrunners.

The actress who plays Dany has said basically gently caress no to any spinoffs. It greatly confused some people who thought she was then leaving after this season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's not surprising.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

No one ever remembers the lesson David Caruso taught us.

Clooney almost bombed harder than Caruso before Soderbergh resurrected his career.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

Clooney almost bombed harder than Caruso before Soderbergh resurrected his career.

He was still doing er when Batman and Robin came out

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah they wanna get on and do their what if we still had slavery show

I defended the idea at first because of course they're going to portray slavery as bad but god drat since Charlottesville I think y'all are right. Don't make The Confederacy plz. loving racists are gonna use it as fap fodder for their bad ideas.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Insecure is officially the first TV show I know of to actually show cum on a woman's face. Unexpected as hell, I think I audibly gasped

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Truly a blessed time to be watching television.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Good lord GoT's ratings this season are insane. 16.5 m watched the finale live and the show averaged 31m per episode with live + time shifted.

I'm not surprised because it's the only programme I ever hear normal people in work discussing the morning after it's aired.

I don't know what the last thing everyone's seen and everyone talks about but I feel like it was probably The X Factor circa 2007.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Game of Thrones is one of the few shows I make a point of watching live or on the same night.

I think at least part of it is just kind of a snowballing thing of its popularity and presence in the cultural zeitgeist. Like, I know if I go to work or hang out with friends or just read the internet or watch the news there's a solid chance Game of Thrones will come up on Monday. So I just make sure to watch it on Sunday.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Game of Thrones is one of the few shows I make a point of watching live or on the same night.

Yeah same, reminds me it's time to cancel hbonow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think at least part of it is just kind of a snowballing thing of its popularity and presence in the cultural zeitgeist. Like, I know if I go to work or hang out with friends or just read the internet or watch the news there's a solid chance Game of Thrones will come up on Monday. So I just make sure to watch it on Sunday.

It's literally the only one I watch live, but we also host a grill and watch deal every week for the past SEVEN YEARS. Honestly, I'm glad to be getting my Sundays back after the show ends.

This Sunday we lost internet because of the hurricane so we had to wait until Monday and man was that a fraught day on the internet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only show before GoT that everyone at work talked about was Lost.

Sometimes Walking Dead gets that treatment though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Walking Dead did for awhile but I think that's kind of dropped off. At least around my circles.

I think Empire gets that same deal but I don't watch that one. Downtown Abbey did for awhile but I don't watch that. 24, the same. Westworld had a bit of it. American Idol in its heyday but that's almost like a "sport."

Some shows are just big enough and popular enough like that and it basically sets you up to either watch live or not watch at all. I ended up abandoning the Shield halfway through because I fell a little behind, got spoiled, and then decided to ignore it for years and then binge it when it was over and hope I forgot the spoilers. Same thing happened early on for Lost for me.

Its actually basically the reason I'm not watching Empire. I just don't feel like getting invested in another "appointment" weekly TV show.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

The only show before GoT that everyone at work talked about was Lost.

Sometimes Walking Dead gets that treatment though.

For the ratings TWD gets, which are the best ever for cable, it's not really in the zeitgeist like GoT. I hear references to GoT all the time, yesterday I heard some guy on Sportscenter reference the Iron Throne. Has SNL even done a TWD sketch? I mean, zombies are definitely in the national culture, but specific Walking Dead stuff doesn't seem to come up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's because GoT is pulp entertainment that cleverly masquerades as "prestige" drama?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's certainly a take.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For what its worth I don't think the fact that I watch GoT weekly means its "prestige." I actually tend to watch "pulp" week to week and "prestige" in binges. I process it better that way. When there's a deep story I want to get invested in it like a novel, but when its mindless entertainment I can just veg out for an hour a day.

So like the CW comic book shows are a weekly watch for me. But the latest season of Better Call Saul is still on my DVR awaiting a binge.

I watched Westworld or American Detective S1 in a binge. I watch GoT week to week. Judge that how you wish.

zoux posted:

For the ratings TWD gets, which are the best ever for cable, it's not really in the zeitgeist like GoT. I hear references to GoT all the time, yesterday I heard some guy on Sportscenter reference the Iron Throne. Has SNL even done a TWD sketch? I mean, zombies are definitely in the national culture, but specific Walking Dead stuff doesn't seem to come up.

"Caaaaarrrrrrlll!" is definitely in the zeitgeist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

That's certainly a take.

Hotter than the sun, I'd say.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean they're not wrong. It's a soap opera at its core, really. Just also a (previously) well-written one with insane production values and in a fantasy land.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hear people talking about Walking Dead just as much as Game of Thrones. And yes there's been some Walking Dead sketches on SNL before. Most famously the one with Dave Chappelle.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

But the latest season of Better Call Saul is still on my DVR awaiting a binge.

Rectify this ASAP, this was the best season yet. I usually hold off and watch BCS in batches but after the first episodes I was watching it weekly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

Rectify this ASAP, this was the best season yet. I usually hold off and watch BCS in batches but after the first episodes I was watching it weekly.

I'm not avoiding it. I love BCS and thinks it one of the better "prestige" shows on. I'm just waiting for a weekend when I know I'll be able to veg out with the DVR. Most of my TV watching happens on a different TV with a Chromecast.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a deal similar to the last seasons of Breaking Bad.

The show had reached a popularity point that people who wanted to catch up could do so easily on Netflix. The longer and more popular the show got, the more people started binging, etc.

It also helps that, like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones had a lot of word of mouth around major "moments" that lived up to the hype.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm finally watching BCS. Halfway through the second episode right now. It's pretty great. I mean I knew it was gonna be good, I was just waiting for things to line up with my friend that I watched breaking bad with so we could watch BCS together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh man you're in for a treat. 1 is a good season but 2/3 are loving fantastic (unless you dislike slower shows, I guess)

• Locked thread