Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

I'm pretending that you didn't just substitute your username and that your aunt actually does call you with "hey cumshitter"

Do what you love and everything in your life will flow from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cumshitter, your aunt just wants to rub up on animals but isnt willing to go far to do it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cumshitter posted:

Do what you love and everything in your life will flow from it.

Say what you will, but that's a man who knows who he is.

The guy (25m) I've (23f) been dating for 3~ mos is gorgeous while I'm average or a little below when it comes to looks. My best friend (23f) constantly reminds me that he's too good looking for me and robs me of confidence.

quote:

So basically story goes like this, I've been in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 2 years and love it. In January my gym owner brought in his cousin "Albert" from Venezuela to help teach and basically to get out and potentially start working on his resident visa. Albert is possibly the most gorgeous human being I've ever seen, it's almost indescribable. I couldn't help but notice a long with every other woman in the gym. I got to roll (practice basically) with him many times and he's an amazing teacher, he's patient, calm and really knows his stuff. I was blown away when he asked me out May. I thought it was some sort of joke someone was playing because I've been single for a really long time.

We went out and Albert even got more unreal, he has an engineering degree and worked for Citgo until his family connections made it unsafe for him in Venezuela and he basically escaped like a refugee. He's applying to work on his masters next spring and is working to get his work visa so he can get a job here. He's unbelievably sweet and a true gentlemen, he does have some Latin machismo but I think it comes out in the best ways. The two major issues we have is that he's deeply religious and we are so mismatched when it comes to looks.

I introduced Albert to my friends and all really liked him and of course all commented on his looks and "sexy accent." All of our guy friends like him too because Albert totally had our friends back when some drunk frat guys started messing with him and Albert basically backed two frat guys down from what could have been a major fight.

My best friend however constantly reminds me that he's so good looking and her favorite saying is along the lines of "no offense Paige but, he's out of your league." I've asked her to stop and reminded her that this is a 3 month relationship in my 20s. It may or may not go anywhere and we still have a major religious discrepancy that we'd have to overcome if we get serious. But right now, can she just stop and let me enjoy a sweet guy? She says just looking out for me and that I'm blind if I don't see the way other women look at him and that it's only a matter of time before he finds someone in his "category of looks and she doesn't want me to be hurt." That really hurt my feelings.

So I have two problems I guess...one is my own lack of confidence with my appearance relative to Albert and two is my best friend building up and reinforcing that lack of confidence.

How do I deal with this?

tl;dr: I'm dating a guy who is a 12 on a 10 point scale while I'm a 4. He's also smart, educated, sweet and seems to really like me. My best friend is constantly trying to talk down my self esteem and remind me of out looks discrepancy "to look out for me and keep me from getting hurt."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The guy (25m) I've (23f) been dating for 3~ mos is gorgeous while I'm average or a little below when it comes to looks. My best friend (23f) constantly reminds me that he's too good looking for me and robs me of confidence.

Your friend isnt your friend. After eliminating her, begin indentifying who else in your life and family have been comprimises

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Your friend wants to bone him. Sorry.

Also your friend isn't your friend. Sorry.

Enjoy the hot foreigner for as long as you can.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I almost married a Chinese friend to get them status but holy poo poo too much trouble to also break the law.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

He's using her to get a Visa, obvs

Really, a general lack of self confidence is a thing that can happen pretty easily, and it's always depressing and difficult to deal with in a partner. The "I'm not good enough for you" and "You're just way too good looking for me" thing is a serious relationship killer, and I honestly don't think it has much to do with actual looks as degrees of self confidence. I've had women do it with me despite them being crazily attractive, and I think it's all just tied into this dumb obsession with 'leagues' and levels of attractiveness. If someone makes you happy, you enjoy being with them, and they reciprocate that, treating your relationship like you're on the receiving end of charity because Adonis has deigned to come gently caress you instead of a partnership with someone you like is a way to destroy it real quick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I'm pretending that you didn't just substitute your username and that your aunt actually does call you with "hey cumshitter"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One time I had this stupid rear end in a top hat blowing up my desk phone saying, "Cumshitter I gots to talk to yas, it's important gimme a call."

I ignored it because he wasn't my client and he was asking about one of my 95 year old lich queens who make up our customer base. Anyway, it turned out that he thought that one of my clients died because he had been googling the obituaries and someone with the same name who was also 90+ had a died a few weeks before. He was calling me to ensure that we had his beneficiary contact info up to date.

Turns out she wasn't dead, and also she was really pissed at this guy for calling me, an office drone, before calling her to see if she was alive or dead. That phone call cost that stupid motherfucker $200,000 in inheritance money. And it loving ruled costing that dumb motherfucker $200K.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

David Heinrich posted:

He's using her to get a Visa, obvs

Really, a general lack of self confidence is a thing that can happen pretty easily, and it's always depressing and difficult to deal with in a partner. The "I'm not good enough for you" and "You're just way too good looking for me" thing is a serious relationship killer, and I honestly don't think it has much to do with actual looks as degrees of self confidence. I've had women do it with me despite them being crazily attractive, and I think it's all just tied into this dumb obsession with 'leagues' and levels of attractiveness. If someone makes you happy, you enjoy being with them, and they reciprocate that, treating your relationship like you're on the receiving end of charity because Adonis has deigned to come gently caress you instead of a partnership with someone you like is a way to destroy it real quick.

Yeah it's annoying and tedious when someone keeps pulling the "waaah you're too good for me" thing. It's like ok. Fine. You're right. Get lost

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

Yeah it's annoying and tedious when someone keeps pulling the "waaah you're too good for me" thing. It's like ok. Fine. You're right. Get lost

For a personal life blogpost on it, I once had a girl I'd been dating for a couple weeks say she was fine with me going out with other people and loving other girls while with her, because she expected me to just drop her when I found someone better. This was after I brought up the "Hey, let's actually be exclusive" thing, and she made it clear she was fine with not seeing anyone else because she figured she wasn't gonna get any offers anyway. Same girl called herself worthless a lot, and while she was great in a lot of ways, the utter lack of self confidence made that relationship hard. It was loving depressing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

David Heinrich posted:

For a personal life blogpost on it, I once had a girl I'd been dating for a couple weeks say she was fine with me going out with other people and loving other girls while with her, because she expected me to just drop her when I found someone better. This was after I brought up the "Hey, let's actually be exclusive" thing, and she made it clear she was fine with not seeing anyone else because she figured she wasn't gonna get any offers anyway. Same girl called herself worthless a lot, and while she was great in a lot of ways, the utter lack of self confidence made that relationship hard. It was loving depressing.

Sounds like an easy way down the Hersey highway

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

One time I had this stupid rear end in a top hat blowing up my desk phone saying, "Cumshitter I gots to talk to yas, it's important gimme a call."

I ignored it because he wasn't my client and he was asking about one of my 95 year old lich queens who make up our customer base. Anyway, it turned out that he thought that one of my clients died because he had been googling the obituaries and someone with the same name who was also 90+ had a died a few weeks before. He was calling me to ensure that we had his beneficiary contact info up to date.

Turns out she wasn't dead, and also she was really pissed at this guy for calling me, an office drone, before calling her to see if she was alive or dead. That phone call cost that stupid motherfucker $200,000 in inheritance money. And it loving ruled costing that dumb motherfucker $200K.

women are a big deal in transfer of wealth since they tend to outlive men and also tend to inherit (because women tend to split among kids pretty evenly, but men with all-crappy kids tend to still let their daughters have a bit, but their lovely loser sons can get bent)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I almost married a Chinese friend to get them status but holy poo poo too much trouble to also break the law.

Can your friend convincingly say they have no training with firearms? Are they able to say without taking a deep drag on a ciggarette and wink that "no I never ran a prison camp or knowingly tortured someone"? If so, or the person in question is Cuban, congrats.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Sounds like an easy way down the Hersey highway

And yet, at the end of it all youre still in Pennsylvania

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

David Heinrich posted:

she was fine with not seeing anyone else because she figured she wasn't gonna get any offers anyway
How do those words come out of someone's mouth without realizing the other person is only going to hear "I'm dumping your rear end the instant someone I like more is willing to bone me"?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

women are a big deal in transfer of wealth since they tend to outlive men and also tend to inherit (because women tend to split among kids pretty evenly, but men with all-crappy kids tend to still let their daughters have a bit, but their lovely loser sons can get bent)

Depends on how they do it. I have several clients who are on their second marriage, widowed twice, and they purposely spend down their second husband's trust paying for their elderly home while leaving the first trust from their first marriage untouched.

This totally fucks over the second husband's children and drains money out of a trust that they're meant to manage after the second wife's death. But, frankly, if your dad left a woman with $700K+ in funds I'm not gonna feel all that sorry for you if you couldn't make it out there on your own.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

How do those words come out of someone's mouth without realizing the other person is only going to hear "I'm dumping your rear end the instant someone I like more is willing to bone me"?

Having dated this person Ill field it, they know it sounds like that and its part of an ever expanding checklist of "pathetic things they do that irritate you" as reverse psychology to keep you constantly reaffirming their worth like a broken yakbak until it reaches a critical boiling point where you dump them without mercy or honor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Having dated this person Ill field it, they know it sounds like that and its part of an ever expanding checklist of "pathetic things they do that irritate you" as reverse psychology to keep you constantly reaffirming their worth like a broken yakbak until it reaches a critical boiling point where you dump them without mercy or honor.

This is 100% true. A critical component is now you are the villain and they still get to be a victim awwww wah boo hoo :qq:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

Depends on how they do it. I have several clients who are on their second marriage, widowed twice, and they purposely spend down their second husband's trust paying for their elderly home while leaving the first trust from their first marriage untouched.

Shrewd a.f. Imho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cumshitter posted:

This totally fucks over the second husband's children and drains money out of a trust that they're meant to manage after the second wife's death. But, frankly, if your dad left a woman with $700K+ in funds I'm not gonna feel all that sorry for you if you couldn't make it out there on your own.

drat, thats clever as hell.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Shrewd a.f. Imho

Oh gently caress yeah. I'd do the same.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have never wanted to make such a poor financial decision for a birthday card before.

my parents think i'm crazy because i handle my own retirement accounts... i currently have my IRA set up in the following ratio:

*) Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (BND): 20%
*) Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI): 50%
*) Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VXUS): 30%

I forget what I have my 401k in... They used fidelity, I just picked some targeted retirement account with ~0.65 ratio (they didn't let me just pick some index funds, hopefully next employer will)

am i bad?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Who knows? For what it's worth, I didn't hear that from it. All I heard was "I have some extremely severe self-worth issues" which is still pretty bad. Also yes, a lot of people have this thing where they desperately need affirmation and constantly put themselves down in order to hear people tell them that they're not worthless at all. It's exhausting to have someone you care about constantly say they're a worthless idiot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

David Heinrich posted:

Who knows? For what it's worth, I didn't hear that from it. All I heard was "I have some extremely severe self-worth issues" which is still pretty bad. Also yes, a lot of people have this thing where they desperately need affirmation and constantly put themselves down in order to hear people tell them that they're not worthless at all. It's exhausting to have someone you care about constantly say they're a worthless idiot.

It is only so long before you shout, yes! Yes! You're worthless loving idiot!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

my parents think i'm crazy because i handle my own retirement accounts... i currently have my IRA set up in the following ratio:

*) Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (BND): 20%
*) Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI): 50%
*) Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VXUS): 30%

I forget what I have my 401k in... They used fidelity, I just picked some targeted retirement account with ~0.65 ratio (they didn't let me just pick some index funds, hopefully next employer will)

am i bad?

Bond etfs are poo poo and theres no reason to own them if you're under 40.

I say this because one of the salemen I work with attended Harvard and called me a stupid human being for holding 5% of my personal etf investments in bonds.

I loving love working with salespeople even if they're mostly awful. At least they're intereting.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

David Heinrich posted:

I used to be that insecure person until I started getting proper therapy and medication. Then I realized my girlfriend was that person but refused to look into therapy.

We broke up because she cheated on me but even if she hadn't the time was limited because I can only hear "no you dont" as a response to "I love you too" so many times before she starts being correct about it and I bail

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
How do I [35 M] politely tell the receptionist [24 F] to stop dragging her feet (literally)?

quote:

Our previous receptionist left to pursue another job offer and her position was replaced. New receptionist is super nice, but she does one extremely annoying thing: Loudly drags her feet when she walks.

Unfortunately, I'm the only one that has to hear the feet dragging on a regular basis. I have the only office near the receptionist area and the rest of the offices/cubicles are down the hallway past the copy room, mail room, kitchen, and restrooms. As you may have guessed, our receptionist needs to make regular trips throughout the day to the aforementioned rooms, and I have to hear her drag her heels on the way there and the way back...averaging about 30 times per day. She occasionally needs to walk to the areas where my other co-workers are, but that is rare compared to the amount of times she passes by my office.

My first 'solution' was to simply close my office door. Definitely helped with the noise in question, but other issues arose. I began receiving emails from my co-workers asking me to get back to them when I was free. Some of these were urgent matters as well. They were walking to my office, notice my door is closed, assume I'm busy and then ask to come back later. I often need responses/replies immediately, so having their communication delayed was not a good solution.

My next option was to simply talk to her about it, but I'm afraid it might be extremely awkward. I have habits that are annoying to others as well, and I know how self-conscious I feel when other people mention it (I subconsciously shake my legs often and I have seasonal allergies which make me sniffle every 5 seconds). Since she walks by my office so often, I sympathize with her having to think about and control how she walks by MULTIPLE times per day.

What do I do here? I'm often thrown off track due to her walking by.

tl;dr: Receptionist drags her feet past my office constantly and it's a major distraction.
How do people manage to exist near each other long enough to procreate?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you're under 40 replace those bonds funds with small cap US market ETFs. They have a beta higher than 1 and tend to move faster than the market. This will gently caress you some years but you should be doing buy and hold for 10+ years and you'll reap benefits from it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
re: immigration chat

i have a friend who's a professor at a university in the uk, where he was able to work by virtue of being an eu citizen... now it's a huge clusterfuck apparently. He's pretty upset since he'd have to start the tenure process over if he leaves.

(I'm sure there's plenty of "Real Englishmen" with PhDs in cryptography who will finally be able to put food on the table if he leaves :rolleyes:)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

If you're under 40 replace those bonds funds with small cap US market ETFs. They have a beta higher than 1 and tend to move faster than the market. This will gently caress you some years but you should be doing buy and hold for 10+ years and you'll reap benefits from it.

Why are you opening yourself up to liability for free, for these assholes? :0

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cumshitter posted:

Bond etfs are poo poo and theres no reason to own them if you're under 40.

I say this because one of the salemen I work with attended Harvard and called me a stupid human being for holding 5% of my personal etf investments in bonds.

I loving love working with salespeople even if they're mostly awful. At least they're intereting.

i'm not 40 but my risk aversion is

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Why are you opening yourself up to liability for free, for these assholes? :0

Yeah go ahead and sue me. Get laughed out of court for taking advice from a guy named cumshitter.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"Your honor, I took the advice of a person on a dying comedy forum and it somehow didn't turn out well."

"Get the gently caress out of the courtroom."

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

How do I [35 M] politely tell the receptionist [24 F] to stop dragging her feet (literally)?

How do people manage to exist near each other long enough to procreate?

It's interesting that most of the comments are saying "well it could be a disability so if you even ask you could end up in an hr shitstorm" is that really true? I mean assuming he brought it up politely, if she had a good reason and he just went "oh okay we can accommodate that" it doesn't feel like it should be a liability, just a bit awkward.

Either way the problem seems easily solved by just putting a sign on the door that can flip back and forth between "busy" and "Come in" so I dunno if it'd even be worth talking to her about it but I'm surprised it'd be a potential legal/discrimination issue.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cumshitter posted:

Yeah go ahead and sue me. Get laughed out of court for taking advice from a guy named cumshitter.

i had no idea i can sue someone if i get bad investment advice from the internet, i should have gone to law school instead of touching an endless series of computers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would like to see a theme porno where a financial advisor and a DOL representative touch each other's weiners in like a frustrated and menacing way

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cumshitter posted:

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cumshitter posted:

"What? That's the name of my advisor! Guilty on all charges!!!"