Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I really hope that Professionalism is a paid feature as it seems to be tied to Drilling. For one, I don't like the feature. It has no provisions for dealing with cleaning up lovely AI provinces (as it seems like they get all the benefit from building filling their provinces with military buildings while you get stuck with would-be valuable provinces with no buildings that actually make money) and the game shouldn't punish you for drafting a handful of mercenaries to clean up unforted provinces--they should at least give you a certain number of "free" drafts every so many years. And for another--it seems drilling makes the feature more manageable so having another feature that makes your mandatory new feature work better behind a paywall? That is a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
For me the map changes in the upcoming patch alone are going to be enough that it will be one of my most played patches for ages, with the caveat that they need to not introduce any more anti fun garbage broken mechanics like the EoC. At least professionalism is obviously an attempt at making mercenaries less attractive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

reignonyourparade posted:

The pope as leader of the Catholic Church has different interests than the pope as leader of the Papal State.

Notably the Pope tacitly supported Cardinal Richelieu arming Protestant rebels in the 30YW because gently caress the Hapsburgs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

Notably the Pope tacitly supported Cardinal Richelieu arming Protestant rebels in the 30YW because gently caress the Hapsburgs
History is stranger than fiction.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pellisworth posted:

this is really untrue, read some of HEY GAL's posts in the milhist thread, she studies 30YW mercs

sure they provisioned themselves by looting and extorting from local villages but they were definitely professional soldiers and for many of them it was a family affair, your dad was a merc and you grew up in army camps then you became a merc too.

No, I understand that. I supposed I used bad and reductive phrasing. My point was that what it meant to be a professional soldier at that time meant something different from what it came to mean later on, that the professionalism of an early modern mercenary was a very different thing from the professionalism of a standing army regular.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

AnoHito posted:

Part of the revolution involved telling the pope to go gently caress himself, and refusing to accept papal supremacy on any matters.

For some reason I read that in my head as "PayPal Supremacy".

I just picked up the game again and am playing Ethiopia. I'm fairly noobish at all this but I allied with Qara Qoyunlu when mamluks were pushing their poo poo in, and basically did ping pong guerilla wars with their sizeable army advantage leading to a successful defensive victory, and was owed favors. It was fun watching the mamluks run back and forth. Afterward though the Qara AI has generally been fairly useless in wars and they're a bunch of cowards... though I guess in the last war when they peaced out they distracted the Ottomans long enough for me to get a favorable peace deal.

So anyhow, so far it's 1531. Allied with Qara, Vassalized Funj because I ate up my only previous sources of marriage foolishly. I've gone Religious and Defensive (still filling that out), and I've read the third one that's good is maybe Exploration, and try to colonize the rest of Africa and maybe beyond.. I guess my strat is to try to take alexandria, fort the gently caress out of the north, and hope to make the Ottoman invasion completely unbearable for them. You can tell I tried to make a mad land grab dash towards Alexandria. Still haven't embraced renaissance. I'm not really familiar with these DLCs I got on sale:
- Africa lands seem pretty crap development wise for the most part. Should I boost development with monarch points? If so, when and what?
- I'm having manpower issues (probably from the war with the Ottomans, and then defending ally against Persians) so I guess I just need to take my newly gotten gold and throw it at barracks now.
- I have little in the way of a navy. Should I be building up trade ships? I'm assuming trade has been changing a lot for a while.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Also should I grab Defender of the Faith, since I'm the only Coptic left pretty much?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 30, 2017

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Ottomans are an unstoppable force for the first two centurys, if you can become a tribute, or keep high relations with them, the better. Seeing Persia spawned try and ally them instead of QA now

As for warring them them, you need lots of mans, or gold, maybe both, continue to eat down to Kilwa and take all those high dev coastline and gold, your going to run into state problems yes, but every little bit helps

Whenever I am the only one of my faith I tend to take defender of the faith, every little bit helps here again

As for navy, yeah if you have the spare cash, build light ships, and if you can transfer enough trade from Goa, do so and start collecting in the gulf, make it your home trade port even as Ethiopia is kinda useless being a starting node

As for Ideas, Defensive is a great one to have as Ethiopia, as you already have national, land, and even religion modifiers to make taking forts down hell, making Ethiopia the most cancerous land after all the core costs where taken out.
I am playing with the idea of Aristocratic as one of my starting mil ideas in the Mapgoons MP game for the extra manpower instead of quantity as I am aiming for the 40% infantry combat ability, since I don't need to throw mans at the Ottoman player to simply live

If you want to develop you do not have many spots, drylands is the best its going to get, develop on those, and after that gold is the next best thing

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

For some reason I read that in my head as "PayPal Supremacy".

I just picked up the game again and am playing Ethiopia. I'm fairly noobish at all this but I allied with Qara Qoyunlu when mamluks were pushing their poo poo in, and basically did ping pong guerilla wars with their sizeable army advantage leading to a successful defensive victory, and was owed favors. It was fun watching the mamluks run back and forth. Afterward though the Qara AI has generally been fairly useless in wars and they're a bunch of cowards... though I guess in the last war when they peaced out they distracted the Ottomans long enough for me to get a favorable peace deal.

So anyhow, so far it's 1531. Allied with Qara, Vassalized Funj because I ate up my only previous sources of marriage foolishly. I've gone Religious and Defensive (still filling that out), and I've read the third one that's good is maybe Exploration, and try to colonize the rest of Africa and maybe beyond.. I guess my strat is to try to take alexandria, fort the gently caress out of the north, and hope to make the Ottoman invasion completely unbearable for them. You can tell I tried to make a mad land grab dash towards Alexandria. Still haven't embraced renaissance. I'm not really familiar with these DLCs I got on sale:
- Africa lands seem pretty crap development wise for the most part. Should I boost development with monarch points? If so, when and what?
- I'm having manpower issues (probably from the war with the Ottomans, and then defending ally against Persians) so I guess I just need to take my newly gotten gold and throw it at barracks now.
- I have little in the way of a navy. Should I be building up trade ships? I'm assuming trade has been changing a lot for a while.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Also should I grab Defender of the Faith, since I'm the only Coptic left pretty much?

Exploration is good because, as you've noted, much of Africa is crap provinces and you need to get blobbing. Winning that first war with Ottomans is a tough one - you can bleed them on your forts but ultimately you need to win some big battles and the Ottomans won't make that easy for you. So it's really about becoming decently powerful by the time you come to blows with them, which often happens before 1530.

Basically your trade strategy is to monopolize the Zanzibar node (all the gold mines are nice too) and get rich since you can direct a bunch of nodes to Zanzibar, which you'll treat like an end node (cause no one else is there). This means fighting Kilwa early and often so you can get there. You do need a bit of a navy for this part -- sieges will be really slow if you don't have any blockading fleet.

Development is a toughie as Ethiopia because your land isn't just poor, it also has the Arid modifier that makes development more expensive. For developing within Africa (which is super important for getting institutions in a timely fashion) I recommend the farmlands in the Cairo-Alexandria area. You'll want to embrace Egyptian culture and make the regions there into states. But I wouldn't throw a lot of mana into your homeland, it just won't pay off much.

Religiously your mid-game objective is to take the Coptic sites in the Middle East, so you can get all 5 bonuses. Defender of the Faith is a forgotten mechanic that won't do much for you, especially as the only Coptic power worth fighting.

Oh, and the gold-to-manpower conversion is better spent on mercenary infantry. Eventually you can make most infantry mercs, so your guys won't be dying in the front lines at all.

I had to restart a bunch of times to get a good Ethiopia run, ganbatte!

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Whenever the devs get an idea like army professionalism they first need to ask themselves "if there an example in the time period of a nation with high tradition but low professionalism? Is there an example of low tradition + high professionalism?" If no then don't add the drat thing.

wukkar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean it's a video game.

In real life there is no such thing as either of those two things in the way they are used.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
One issue is historicity

The larger issue is every DLC adds a few scaling modifiers/scores to keep track of because why not, let's just throw paint at the wall and see where it lands! Art!

fix China mechanics please, then you can get back to selling me on new and exciting ways of video game bean-counting

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean it's a video game.

In real life there is no such thing as either of those two things in the way they are used.

the point is that there's no reason to add it instead of just rehauling army tradition. Just like we totally need prestige, stability, legitimacy, and power projection

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

the point is that there's no reason to add it instead of just rehauling army tradition. Just like we totally need prestige, stability, legitimacy, and power projection

A,l those systems are fine yeah.

Though that is the point then you really shouldn't bring up stuff that is completely unrelated, as it muddled things.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wonder if a colonizing Ethiopia could become a Ming Tributary so you can get Ottoman immunity.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

wukkar posted:

Whenever the devs get an idea like army professionalism they first need to ask themselves "if there an example in the time period of a nation with high tradition but low professionalism? Is there an example of low tradition + high professionalism?" If no then don't add the drat thing.

I can kind of see this in as much as army tradition is something like how used your people are to war in general and/or having a 'warrior culture' and professionalism is specifically to do with having centrally managed, standardised armies.

f.e. high tradition low professionalism = hordes, low tradition high professionalism = post civil war England

Though I'll agree that mechanically in terms of how it actually impacts the game it appears that it won't quite work like this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Introducing a new type of mana is the dumbest thing even without already having a nearly identical form of mana that is used for basically nothing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought we all agreed calling it mana is retarded, when did that change

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought we all agreed calling it mana is retarded, when did that change

I don't recall more than like 2 people agreeing to that.

Personally I think that it's a good pun

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
After we all spent 15 real life mana on a lovely expansion called Mandate of Heaven?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's not even a pun

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bird mana and sword mana are funny

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

There is no way that the designers at Paradox do not realize that Professionalism is superfluous and should have been a Tradition rehaul. This is a conflict between game design and business model, and business model won.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

it's not even a pun

Do acronym-based puns have a specific term that I don't know about? The pun arises from how MP can mean Monarch Points or Mana Points

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the term is jokes

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Stevefin posted:

Advice1.txt
Thanks! It's not that I want to develop provinces, but it's a new concept for me and being that one spends enough monarch points on techs and stuff, I can't imagine throwing anywhere from 50-70 monarch points to squeak out one development point on one province. Maybe this is a thing that's done by rich Euro nations that aren't struggling to keep up with tech :dontknow:. But yeah, that terrain modifier makes it pretty prohibitive

Thanks also! I took your advice and spent it on mercenary cannon fodder. I withstood another Ottoman war on said ally. Forts are holding up, and the one in Cairo got that Local defense event, so it's at pretty high defense. I was too late to grab Alexandria, though I did create a land wall of grabbed territories from the mamluks, blocking any further access to the west, and also took a chunk out of Hedjaz and blocked them from accessing Mecca, which I plan to take next time the true ends. Allied Venice, since I can't find a good alliance.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm not too sure about this army professionalism stuff, but the rest of the Halloween Update sounds rad.

quote:

New paid expansion mechanic: Manapower

- Every province now has a manapower development value in addition to the previously existing manpower values. This can be raised much like base tax, production etc. by spending cosmic unity (gained by choosing certain outcomes in random comet sighted events).
- Use Manapower to recruit agile dark magick infantry units (+10% Maneuver Bonus). These units use administrative power to reinforce and strike fear into the hearts of enemy generals, giving any opposing army in battle with them a 1% chance to surrender every tick.
- Manapower can also be used to summon Wizards as diplomatic envoys that can cast wycked spells upon enemy nations (ex. the Hex Advisors option gives the target country +25% Increased Aging Speed for all of their currently hired advisors).
- Added the "Age of Darkness" (Triggered whenever your manapower reserves grow too large or too small). This casts a shadowy fog of war on all of your nation's provinces for one year that can be banished instantly by paying a hefty sum to local officials (1 point of corruption for every owned province).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

Thanks! It's not that I want to develop provinces, but it's a new concept for me and being that one spends enough monarch points on techs and stuff, I can't imagine throwing anywhere from 50-70 monarch points to squeak out one development point on one province. Maybe this is a thing that's done by rich Euro nations that aren't struggling to keep up with tech :dontknow:. But yeah, that terrain modifier makes it pretty prohibitive

Thanks also! I took your advice and spent it on mercenary cannon fodder. I withstood another Ottoman war on said ally. Forts are holding up, and the one in Cairo got that Local defense event, so it's at pretty high defense. I was too late to grab Alexandria, though I did create a land wall of grabbed territories from the mamluks, blocking any further access to the west, and also took a chunk out of Hedjaz and blocked them from accessing Mecca, which I plan to take next time the true ends. Allied Venice, since I can't find a good alliance.

Good on you for winning the war (or at least making those Ottomans pay!) Development these days is less for the sake of making a rich province, and more for the sake of seeding institutions. Basically you dump monarch points into a province (and a lot of points, at that) to advance its progress toward the current institution you're working on. See here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Institutions#Effects_of_development

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
By the way, Jake kindly responded in the Dev Diary topic. Professionalism is a paid feature. Unless there's something that's a must-buy Quality of Life thing in the Paid Features like the Diplomacy Menu or Ages, I'm probably not buying. First one since Mare Nostrum--and even that one I've been tempted to buy purely so I can have something to sink extra diplo into and an easier way to get the mercantilism achievement. It would be only the second expansion overall that I will not own.

But of course it's possible that the next features could change my mind. It's just that Professionalism seems like too much of a headache for me, for the reasons I gave above.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Good on you for winning the war (or at least making those Ottomans pay!) Development these days is less for the sake of making a rich province, and more for the sake of seeding institutions. Basically you dump monarch points into a province (and a lot of points, at that) to advance its progress toward the current institution you're working on. See here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Institutions#Effects_of_development

Thanks for that, good to know. The institutions are moving pretty slow so I should probably get on that. Yeah, didn't win per se, but being I was helping an ally, I didn't lose any territory or have to pay anything out. Qara is on its way out, being gobbled up by Persia and Ottomans. The plus side is I got revanchism so that helped my manpower recovery. Sometimes losing as an ally is a good thing I guess.

Edit: Yeah that development thing sucks. Just going to take out like 5 loans and hope to pay it off. Rather, I've had some Euros go and pay off my debts, even when I'm not in war. Apparently it helped though:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 31, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BeAuMaN posted:

Thanks for that, good to know. The institutions are moving pretty slow so I should probably get on that. Yeah, didn't win per se, but being I was helping an ally, I didn't lose any territory or have to pay anything out. Qara is on its way out, being gobbled up by Persia and Ottomans. The plus side is I got revanchism so that helped my manpower recovery. Sometimes losing as an ally is a good thing I guess.

Edit: Yeah that development thing sucks. Just going to take out like 5 loans and hope to pay it off. Rather, I've had some Euros go and pay off my debts, even when I'm not in war. Apparently it helped though:

Loans are a pretty good deal if you can keep interest down and are expanding quickly. I always use them to embrace institutions.

You might want to see who the Ottomans have rivaled and make friends with them. The trust/favors system means you can eventually become reliable allies with someone like Austria or Poland, who can help quite a bit against Ottos.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just an important note on that--Lately I've been seeing the Ottos just absolutely kicking the Austrians' poo poo in. Poland too. Don't be afraid to refuse a call to arms if you know the Ottos are going to win.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
After many failed Brandenburg games.

Finally and in 1687

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, Über alles in der Welt

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just an important note on that--Lately I've been seeing the Ottos just absolutely kicking the Austrians' poo poo in. Poland too. Don't be afraid to refuse a call to arms if you know the Ottos are going to win.

Eh... in my game so far... They're mainly been at war with Venice as far as Euro powers go. There's surprisingly not a large Euro alliance against Ottomans yet, though Ottomans haven't even eaten up Hungary yet, or Ragusa. They've just eaten up a lot of the balkans and then have been pushing more east and south.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have never seen the AI Ottomans revoke their guarantee of Ragusa. Ever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have never seen the AI Ottomans revoke their guarantee of Ragusa. Ever.

They really need to make the AI break other diplomatic relations like they break alliances.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Wow, going after territory in the HRE as a non-member is a grind. Is there any trick to it? Diplo-annexing seems like it will never work given the -75 malus and going to war with the emperor every time means even trivial wars get bogged down.

Working as intended, I guess?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eldred posted:

Wow, going after territory in the HRE as a non-member is a grind. Is there any trick to it? Diplo-annexing seems like it will never work given the -75 malus and going to war with the emperor every time means even trivial wars get bogged down.

You can't have trouble taking territory from the HRE if there isn't an HRE :eng101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eldred posted:

Become the emperor yourself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As Ming, become the Holy Roman Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Roamin' Emperor