Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Propagandist posted:

buns over IP

Was expecting the other sort, but this is good. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Quavers posted:

I loved reading John Carmack's .plan updates back in the days of Quake development. They were the poo poo

root@thebox:~# apt-get install finger
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed: finger
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 20.5 kB of archives.
After this operation, 31.7 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main finger amd64 0.17-15 [20.5 kB]
Fetched 20.5 kB in 2s (8,075 B/s)
Selecting previously unselected package finger.
(Reading database ... 52068 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../finger_0.17-15_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking finger (0.17-15) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Setting up finger (0.17-15) ...
root@thebox:~# finger johnc@idsoftware.com
finger: connect: Connection timed out

Awwwwww.......

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

One of the most telling bits was when Sandi brought Crobber a drink... Christ if she feels sorry for him it must have been going very badly.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Gravity_Storm posted:

One of the most telling bits was when Sandi brought Crobber a drink... Christ if she feels sorry for him it must have been going very badly.

I doubt she was bringing it because she felt sorry for him. It was probably a pre-planned celebratory drink. Like haha watch me dangle this carrot for these whales, now bring me something fruity and expensive at the very end.

e: Alternatively, she wanted to show off those god awful hideous shoes one more time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I also want to mention that any single company that has worked with CIG for any length of time has ended up bailing and talking mad amounts of poo poo about every single interaction they had while working on star citizen

CIG just needs to do more business with Chinese developers then. Goons in general don't speak Chinese or mandarin so the hilarious leaks will be reduced to bad Google translations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Propagandist posted:

I doubt she was bringing it because she felt sorry for him. It was probably a pre-planned celebratory drink. Like haha watch me dangle this carrot for these whales, now bring me something fruity and expensive at the very end.

e: Alternatively, she wanted to show off those god awful hideous shoes one more time.

I think she wanted to show off that awesome outfit again. That thing ruled

I ordered three of them on Amazon right after the presentation

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Foo Diddley posted:

I think she wanted to show off that awesome outfit again. That thing ruled

I ordered three of them on Amazon right after the presentation

Netflix announced bumper streams of Beetlejuice too

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The communities are empty husks and there is nothing but smoldering anger in their official forums. Star Citizen is dead and the tracker is a complete lie. There's no one left buying this poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

The Titanic posted:

CIG just needs to do more business with Chinese developers then. Goons in general don't speak Chinese or mandarin so the hilarious leaks will be reduced to bad Google translations.

The cake that reads "Robert need more gold" should get some more love, as the Chinese either side is a qiyan (seven syllable per line) rhyming couplet:

人间自有真情在,能骗一快是一块

which goes something like this:

"As true devotion exists in the world of man, [Chris Roberts] will scam every dollar that he can."

Of course, "Robert need more gold" is a more effective and accurate translation in a lot of ways.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the biggest surprise of all is that there isn't actually a 3.0 build. What they have is 2.6.3, and a bunch of technical experiments that have neither been tested with the main branch, nor tested alongside each other. The hypothesis is that once all these completely separately developed and tested pieces have reached a certain level of "polish" (or CIG reaches a certain level of desperation) then they'll all get merged with the main branch and bingo, 3.0.

I have it on good authority that's exactly how game development works.

I agree, friend. :)

I was genuinely expecting some sort of stuff in a sort of LAN PU so it runs well. Instead they displayed proof of how they pissed away a year and have a more advanced version of their year old fake demo.

Still poo poo, still fake, still useless to the SC proper, and that's it. I guess some graphical assets can be shared. But the whole thing was highly scripted, and assisted by hidden employees helping to run the show.

Not only did we learn that ramps are the new doors, but there's still no AI, still no economy, still no actual mission system, and basically both that people are expecting 3.0 to maybe be.

I love to hope and dream as much as the next person, but it's seriously time to stop funneling money to CIG. I think it's time to realize the only thing CR can make is a mostly lovely YouTube video full of lies to convince people to give him more money. :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Gravity_Storm posted:

I was transfixed by her reverse kneed mech walk in dazzle camo and didn't even think of the deeper meaning

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 30, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rabelais D posted:

The cake that reads "Robert need more gold" should get some more love, as the Chinese either side is a qiyan (seven syllable per line) rhyming couplet:

人间自有真情在,能骗一快是一块

which goes something like this:

"As true devotion exists in the world of man, [Chris Roberts] will scam every dollar that he can."

Of course, "Robert need more gold" is a more effective and accurate translation in a lot of ways.

That cake is one of my favourite things to come out of this trainwreck

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
I'm neither a lawyer, nor an accountant, so I'm just speculating here - and maybe someone with real experience (or even Legal the beagle) can let me know if there's anything to this.

By now, the top levels (Chris, Ortwin, etc...) must know that if Star Citizen isn't released soon, either they're going to need to keep working on the project to fulfill obligations - with diminishing income/paychecks, or they're going to face a lot of liability from Kickstarter promises they couldn't deliver.

Does the Coutt's loan give them another way out? Could they default and say "well, we tried really hard, but the backers just didn't give us the amount of money we expected of them - so anyways, after we get our severance packages, you all can ask the bank about when you can expect 3.0 to be released." (insert the appropriate number of ahhmmm's, errr's, and umm's in the preceding statement please) They then take off to Monaco, light up some spliffs, put on their shades and munch on Tim Tams for days.

If Coutt's takes over the IP, can Roberts et.al. make the case that they personally are no longer responsible for any obligations - "Roberts Space Industries - a Coutt's company" now has these responsibilities? Simultaneously trying to make the hard core shitizens feel a bit guilty about not giving enough (and making them less likely to raise a legal stink).

p.s. - sorry if this has been speculated on before - thread's BIG and easy to miss things.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

The part they kept explicitly avoiding was having a passenger while trying to get one vehicle onto another. Having a passenger while the vehicle did its own thing seemed okay. Why else always exit the Ursa before loading, or take a different elevator while unloading. Nobody in real game play would take a different elevator while unloading, then get picked up outside. Both players would rush into the rover and ride it down. They did that for a reason, because they had to.

And that guy got out before the ramp kill for absolutely zero reason. He literally asked to get out, then ran alongside until the ramp kill. Then he jumped the debris to enter the ship. Why did he exit the rover?

The only explanation is there is something badly broken with vehicle to vehicle interactions when passengers are involved.

Pro tip: The player IS the vehicle. Throw a second player in there, and now you actually have to reconcile this whole "physics simulation inside a physics simulation" problem which it appears they haven't done.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

dr slut
Jan 26, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

The communities are empty husks and there is nothing but smoldering anger in their official forums. Star Citizen is dead and the tracker is a complete lie. There's no one left buying this poo poo.

I don't know, the face over IP thing was pretty cool tech

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Gravity_Storm posted:

Someone offscreen asked him and he ordered that vodka and soda a few minutes before. Which was really memorable for me, because I was drinking on discord while watching and was rather incredulous he would drink during a live presentation.

In the end, I figured he gave as much of a poo poo about that presentation as I did.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lazrin posted:

there are some nutjobs out there like him for sure.

im past all of the rage stuff i came here with... i've come to accept and potentially even respect your opinion on all this... you do cross some lines imo, but when you keep the personal and the project separated then there's no reason to shout you down

This is good, I bet it feels better to take that balanced approach, and I'm glad we have people with differing opinions around here.

I crank up the vitriol just for fun among people of like mind, but I will always ultimately be of the opinion that whatever makes you happy, do that. There are many SC fans who enjoy being passionate about the potential of this game, and it's not my or anyone's place to disparage that. As an astute goon pointed out, many of these people are the "dungeon master" type, who get the most joy from planning out the D&D session, designing the world, creating encounters, writing the lore, and planning the journey. The game itself is kind of immaterial.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Drunk Theory posted:

Someone offscreen asked him and he ordered that vodka and soda a few minutes before. Which was really memorable for me, because I was drinking on discord while watching and was rather incredulous he would drink during a live presentation.

In the end, I figured he gave as much of a poo poo about that presentation as I did.

Great username/post combo

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Toops posted:

This is good, I bet it feels better to take that balanced approach, and I'm glad we have people with differing opinions around here.

I crank up the vitriol just for fun among people of like mind, but I will always ultimately be of the opinion that whatever makes you happy, do that. There are many SC fans who enjoy being passionate about the potential of this game, and it's not my or anyone's place to disparage that. As an astute goon pointed out, many of these people are the "dungeon master" type, who get the most joy from planning out the D&D session, designing the world, creating encounters, writing the lore, and planning the journey. The game itself is kind of immaterial.

It's the year 2020 and the best space RPG, Star Citizen, is finally out!

As a tabletop RPG,! You can buy Star Citizen: Commando's Protocols, for only $49.99 and start* creating the most realistic space adventures in this innovative RPG system!

*You also need the Shipsmen's Guide and Space Dangers books to make up your characters, ships and alien opponents. Miniatures sold separately and is essential for play.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

Pro tip: The player IS the vehicle. Throw a second player in there, and now you actually have to reconcile this whole "physics simulation inside a physics simulation" problem which it appears they haven't done.

My assumption runs along these lines. 6 years in and they can't have a player in a physics grid while that physics grid moves inside another physics grid. This is a fairly fundamental part of their game.

I was thinking this works in 2.6, but now I've realized, in the current release, I'm not sure there is any vehicle you can have a passenger on and reasonably fit in another vehicle. Is there any vehicle combination in the current release you can do that with?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Have YOU put your required 40 hours into LOD this week? If not, report for deskeletonization

The later is still less painful.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

XK posted:

My assumption runs along these lines. 6 years in and they can't have a player in a physics grid while that physics grid moves inside another physics grid. This is a fairly fundamental part of their game.

I was thinking this works in 2.6, but now I've realized, in the current release, I'm not sure there is any vehicle you can have a passenger on and reasonably fit in another vehicle. Is there any vehicle combination in the current release you can do that with?

No

The only ships you can glitch into multicrew chariots somewhat consistently are snub fighters right now. And all snub fighters do not have interior grids. Only seats you can access from outside.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

XK posted:

There are some things all of us missed in the demo.

Two Gamescom demo observations:

1: When they grabbed the box from the wreck, and made their way back to the rover, they very explicitly never showed the box being taken onto the rover. We've seen this problem before with them not being able to put the cargo boxes onto vehicles. So, when the rover got ramp killed, we all thought the demo got jammed because the box got blown with the vehicle. I'd say the game never gave a poo poo about that box, the box was never on the vehicle, and no box was destroyed. I propose that the thing that got blown was the character driving the Ursa was required for the follow on space fight. "noooooooOOOoooooo"

2: Both playthroughs, when they lifted the Ursa into the ship, they explicitly acted out having the passenger stand outside and help to carefully align the Ursa on the elevator platform. Then, the passenger took a separate elevator into the ship. The obvious janky reason, is, somebody had to guide the rover perfectly into place on the barely big enough elevator platform, because the driver couldn't position it himself, and the game couldn't handle a misaligned vehicle on the elevator.

This was a total misdirection.

When they unloaded the Ursa onto the destination, one player got in, and rode it down the elevator. The other player took the separate elevator down to the surface, then got in the rover after it was unloaded. Why didn't they both get into the Ursa before it was lowered? Nothing needed an outside eye for lining up, just drive off after being lowered.

Almost everybody missed this, their demo couldn't raise or lower the Ursa on a ship elevator with a passenger in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=2770s

Ursa loads/unloads:
46:10
1:15:35
1:25:30 (ignore the sync issue with the floating Ursa in the cargo bay :smug:)

:eyepop:

Bonus: 1:40:50
The passenger gets out of the Ursa, for no apparent reason, whatsoever, before the attempt to drive onto the ship where the ramp kill happens. It's almost like vehicle onto vehicle interactions don't work with passengers.

Super Bonus: 1:41:45
crobbler: "First working capital ship"

Come now most of this is in my video reviews! :) but yeah good catches!!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Propagandist posted:

buns over IP

Future civet de lapin material.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Keep up the amazing work on the songs. So catchy! :0

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

MilesK posted:

I hope by citizencon they can add hand-tracking. How the gently caress am I supposed to communicate properly without flailing my hands around?!

I'm assuming the plan is that the hands will flail randomly at all times regardless.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Still can't see how their yearly 'income' is not total bullshit

There are massive corporations that don't have that sort of steady and 100% predictable revenue flow, even Apple will have dips and peaks out of sync from year to year

But no, CIG.. a company that hasn't shipped or produced anything, has an income stream year after year that can be predicted down to the closest 100k

How have no federal agencies gone up their pooper with a pinecone yet is beyond me

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Now, imagine 4 commandos on the edge of a ramp..

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

teh_Broseph posted:

Now, imagine 4 commandos on the edge of a ramp..

I'm imagining it right now.
I'm getting 4 FPS.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Destiny 2 has spaceships, first person hot action PVP, first person on foot exploration / raid / quests and also land vehicles, is playable with friends, has decent matchmaking (NO MORE LFG) and soloable.
Made in 3 years, or 8 whichever floats your boat.

Star Citizen, no clip, massless, inertialess, spaceships, and land vehicles that don't seem to follow physics. No proper gameplay loop defined, LTI doesn't seem to exist outside of being a marketing tool. No proper vertical slice of ship production -> buying / renting a ship -> flying a ship -> doing a quest / mission / raid -> blowing up -> hospitalization / dying -> recreating descendant -> buying / renting a ship (loop).

Until we see a proper loop and proper vehicle physics, sans S42 which will be just fluff / smoke and mirrors, Star Citizen is just a pile of steaming poo poo.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

tane over IP

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
IPOIP

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Gravity_Storm posted:

In Sandi's case, never ascribe to altruism what can adequately be explained by upstaging instinct.

Thoatse posted:

I was transfixed by her reverse kneed mech walk in dazzle camo and didn't even think of the deeper meaning

:sandance: "Ta-da!" :sandance:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

teh_Broseph posted:

Now, imagine 4 commandos on the edge edging on a ramp..

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sappo569 posted:

Still can't see how their yearly 'income' is not total bullshit

There are massive corporations that don't have that sort of steady and 100% predictable revenue flow, even Apple will have dips and peaks out of sync from year to year

But no, CIG.. a company that hasn't shipped or produced anything, has an income stream year after year that can be predicted down to the closest 100k

How have no federal agencies gone up their pooper with a pinecone yet is beyond me

Yeah I mean there were months in a row where revenue would hit a literal floor, like the same exact integer number. There's no way it's just ship pledges as CiG claims. I'm sure some enterprising goon has a screenshot or two.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Propagandist posted:

tane over IP

ToIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Was the ELE that I'm agreeing with Lethality posts?