Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alphamod has a lot of cruft, for sure, but I really do like it for reasons like the ones Splicer mentioned. It tries (Doesn't always succeed, but tries) to make choices have more of a consequence on how you play and what you can do with your empire. The Trek New Horizons mod ups this even further because they've managed to kludge in systems that, for example, allow the Federation to actually incorporate new members without needing war or vassalization, whilst the Cardassians can send the Obsidian Order out to gently caress things up for other powers by blowing up ships, damaging buildings, and convincing two powers the other is talking poo poo about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Getting other empires to go to war in a why don't you and him fight way is the best.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of New Horizons, a new version dropped today with playable Borg and new Mirror Universe scenarios (play as Terran Empire and fight for mini-skirts!)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
MoN is alreaady kinda trash if you're going for a high science run. You won't colonize too much anyway cause the penalty is too big, and honestly, I'd rather have a year of all the expensive technologies, than save a few months off some really cheap technologies. You'll also have plenty of minerals/energy to spare. If you're going for quick expansion, MoN is a must pick though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

MoN is alreaady kinda trash if you're going for a high science run. You won't colonize too much anyway cause the penalty is too big, and honestly, I'd rather have a year of all the expensive technologies, than save a few months off some really cheap technologies. You'll also have plenty of minerals/energy to spare. If you're going for quick expansion, MoN is a must pick though.

In 1.8 a science build that expands through vassalisation might be very viable. Fanatic Materialist/Authoritarian would enable the new civic that reduces vassal opinion penalties, and your discoveries would cascade down to your subjects via Domination perks. Assuming 'gather on my fleet' now actually works, you could lead a swarm of vassals on a galactic conquest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
so when is paradox hiring the creator of alphamod to make crusader kings 3

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Cease to Hope posted:

so when is paradox hiring the creator of alphamod to make crusader kings 3
Sometime after the point where he stops treating any back-end change to the game as both a personal attack on himself and an affront to the inviolable sanctity of his mod. Maybe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's kinda weird that someone who seems so strongly convinced that a video game developer is out to get him spends so much time making mods for their games, but that's AlphaAsh for you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

Sometime after the point where he stops treating any back-end change to the game as both a personal attack on himself and an affront to the inviolable sanctity of his mod. Maybe.

On the bright side, reading his comments is hilarious.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

In 1.8 a science build that expands through vassalisation might be very viable. Fanatic Materialist/Authoritarian would enable the new civic that reduces vassal opinion penalties, and your discoveries would cascade down to your subjects via Domination perks. Assuming 'gather on my fleet' now actually works, you could lead a swarm of vassals on a galactic conquest.

I did this once as a xenophobe/spiritualist/pacifist build, I unlocked a ton of the unity things real fast, proceeded to embrace fanatic spiritualism (thus droping pacifist), then proceeded to vassalize half the galaxy. With the +200 fleet perk and all the researches/grand fleet I had an 800 cap despite only owning like 8 or 9 planets (everything is a core world :v:), once I vassalized a bunch of my minor neighbours and made tributary two big ones, I had so much income and fleet I could take down an awakened empire fairly easily. Most of my vassals didn't exactly love me, but they also didn't want to fight my 80k doomstack in an age where even advanced starts sported like 20k tops :v:

I really wish there was a policy that allows your vassals to keep colonizing though. Them basically stagnating doesn't help me at all.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

I really wish there was a policy that allows your vassals to keep colonizing though. Them basically stagnating doesn't help me at all.

Agreed. Would be good to have more discretion over vassal policies a la CK2. Hopefully this is coming in one of Wiz's minor rule changes, like the one he announced about pre sentients yesterday.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lum_ posted:

Speaking of New Horizons, a new version dropped today with playable Borg and new Mirror Universe scenarios (play as Terran Empire and fight for mini-skirts!)

This is very cool and very good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mister Adequate posted:

Alphamod has a lot of cruft, for sure, but I really do like it for reasons like the ones Splicer mentioned. It tries (Doesn't always succeed, but tries) to make choices have more of a consequence on how you play and what you can do with your empire. The Trek New Horizons mod ups this even further because they've managed to kludge in systems that, for example, allow the Federation to actually incorporate new members without needing war or vassalization, whilst the Cardassians can send the Obsidian Order out to gently caress things up for other powers by blowing up ships, damaging buildings, and convincing two powers the other is talking poo poo about them.

The alphamod creator released some elements of the mod as stand alone versions, which is nice because you can use some of the neat bits without all the bullshit you don't want.

LordMune posted:

I was editing some of his files to make a compatibility patch and he actually puts in random gently caress PARADOX YOU CHANGED THE CODE lines in his mod's files. A cool guy.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 30, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean what are code comments for if not recording what you were thinking when you wrote the code?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
generally they're so other people have a vague hope of understanding your code but in his case this clearly does not apply

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

I mean what are code comments for if not recording what you were thinking when you wrote the code?

Misleading digital archaeologists in 800 year's time

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lum_ posted:

generally they're so other people have a vague hope of understanding your code but in his case this clearly does not apply
Other people includes yourself, 3 months later 3 weeks later tomorrow.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

tooterfish posted:

Other people includes yourself, 3 months later 3 weeks later tomorrow.

Pretty much this hahaha

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly. 6 months from now I'm going to look at that code and think "why did I do it like that what the gently caress was I thinking?" and that's how you know.

Also joke comments, I've stumbled upon a few good ones at work that were inserted years ago and everyone just decides to keep in.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You guys got me to try out alphamod with some of the submods and why is there both water and ice as separate resources?

e: is it because I'm trying this out with V3 still on or do all these seemingly important extra resources not show up in the handy bar of info up top, either?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Alphamod has some really good things and a lot of really really bad things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Most of the good things about alpha mod are available as stand alone packages. I would not suggest playing alpha mod itself. Beyond seeming incredibly obtuse it adds things that the AI does not know how to interact with.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
so in short it is exactly the same poo poo as brutal doom and long war? :v:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I found Sol right next to my starting system in a fresh game, it was a Tomb World that got blown up before the game started. When I surveyed it, I found a race of pre-sentient insectoids dotting the planet.

They're called Giant Cockroaches :allears:

Sure many of you have come across this before, but it was my first time getting it and I got a big laugh out of it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I found Sol right next to my starting system in a fresh game, it was a Tomb World that got blown up before the game started. When I surveyed it, I found a race of pre-sentient insectoids dotting the planet.

They're called Giant Cockroaches :allears:

Sure many of you have come across this before, but it was my first time getting it and I got a big laugh out of it.

Sadly I've seen way more giant cock roach earths than I have normal earths.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Sadly I've seen way more giant cock roach earths than I have normal earths.
I have too. Paradox knows the future. :smith:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

so in short it is exactly the same poo poo as brutal doom and long war? :v:

Can those two be fun in a spergy way despite their obtuseness, while also making the game easier? If so, then yes, AlphaMod is similar.

edit:

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Giant Cockroaches :allears:

That is pretty funny, yeah. There's also a mod (Cockroaches of Earh) someone made where instead of pre-sapients they're a (edit2: playable) pregenerated civilization, which was able to bootstrap itself using tech left from humanity. Perhaps unsurprisingly, their polity is Fanatically Pacifist.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 31, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I discovered Sol in WWII and apparently Hiroshima went a bit wrong. I know this because it basically described WWII when I discovered it... and then just like a year or so later, BOOM, tomb world.

RIP. Wasn't in my space, so I couldn't do poo poo about it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just want to be able to play as the cockroaches.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Midnight Voyager posted:

I discovered Sol in WWII and apparently Hiroshima went a bit wrong. I know this because it basically described WWII when I discovered it... and then just like a year or so later, BOOM, tomb world.

Must have ignited the atmosphere.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Midnight Voyager posted:

You sort of got to take years as an abstraction in Stellaris anyway, so I'd just assume this was a 1980s MAD exchange.

In like fifty years you can go from an Earth with a population of presumably 10 billion or so to like at least 10x that many people on a dozen or two worlds. That's a lot of babies.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Fintilgin posted:

In like fifty years you can go from an Earth with a population of presumably 10 billion or so to like at least 10x that many people on a dozen or two worlds. That's a lot of babies.

It's stupid since it's just a game, but this has always bothered me as well. The end game is usually only 200-300 years from the start, and you can have hundreds of billions of citizens in that time.

Somehow, I wish stuff was slower, since I never quite feel like an ancient, almighty empire at the end game.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I've come across a fallen empire Earth too. Condescending bastards they were, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

It's stupid since it's just a game, but this has always bothered me as well. The end game is usually only 200-300 years from the start, and you can have hundreds of billions of citizens in that time.

Somehow, I wish stuff was slower, since I never quite feel like an ancient, almighty empire at the end game.

I would like a technology cost multiplier setting, something to slow down the tech progression as currently you really do tear through it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah it feels kinda weird to go from "we've barely figured out fission" to "post-singularity galaxy-spanning robot consciousness" in 150 years or so. I get that you have to make some concessions to gameplay, but a slider or something like Civ's different game speeds would be nice.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's actually Galactic Years or whatever so it takes longer

I have no idea how months or days count don't think about it too hard

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Just count one year as one full rotation of the galaxy. In the case of the Milky Way that would leave your average game taking about 48 billion years. Plenty of time to grow!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sure, if you're loving boring. Or you can crush the galaxy under the pitiless technoboots of your army of power armor toddlers.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 31, 2017

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sure, if you're loving boring. Or you can crush the galaxy under the pitiless technoboots of your army of power armor toddlers.

Ender's Teething

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
How do you get the final ascension slot? Also once you've unlocked every tradition is there any point to unity at all or should you just replace all unity buildings and change your civics?

• Locked thread