Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spoeank posted:

And yet he's on the 2k18 Kings all franchise team because this franchise, much like Nik, rocks

wait is he really? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

chunkles posted:

wait is he really? lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Noel being on the roster all season instead of just at the end (+no Bogut) should account for the Mavs winning at minimum 2 more wins than last season. Having a point guard other than Devin Harris play more than 40 games will also help. Yogi/DSJ/Barea/Harris will presumably be a much more stable/healthy pg rotation than last year. People that didn't watch the Mavs forget how dire their point guard situation was before they signed Yogi. Roster continuity should also account for a few more wins than last season. DSJ may be starting but Carlisle would bench anyone in crunch time if it means winning a game. It really wouldn't shock me if their crunch time 5 is Yogi/Matthews/Barnes/Dirk/Noel.

That's a good point and the west 4-10 or what have you isn't as strong as it used to be. There has to be a year when Dirk stops making their offense work, but it hasn't happened yet. Nerlens Noel might not be good but he's better than zero. Harrison Barnes ISOs are ugly but they produce points. You could talk me into it

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bulls have, by my count, like 3 NBA players on the entire roster, and one of them is old, broken, and has literally no incentive to do anything other than save his knees for the Cavs.

I think the Sixers won 22 and 23 games with 1 NBA player give or take. It's just hard to drop below that threshold. The league is reducing free games on back to backs and 4 in 5s that help bad teams grind their way up, but it's just hard to be that bad.

Not good players but functional players
1. Wade 2. Jrue Holiday's brother 3. Zach Lavine 4. Brook Lopez 5. Christiano Felicio 5.5 Paul Zipser Those are 3.5 NBA starters (not good starters) and a couple role players.
I think Markannen will be good, Kris Dunn is guaranteed to be better than last year, then they have some human men who might be rotation players. It's going to be bad, but it's really hard to only win 22 games. It's difficult. They're far better than Brooklyn -Lin who won 20 games last year.
I'm sorry to say it but I think it's going to be a tough battle with Atlanta or a bad team with injuries for the number 1 pick. It looks like Atlanta----------Nets--Chicago---Suns-----

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a good point and the west 4-10 or what have you isn't as strong as it used to be. There has to be a year when Dirk stops making their offense work, but it hasn't happened yet. Nerlens Noel might not be good but he's better than zero. Harrison Barnes ISOs are ugly but they produce points. You could talk me into it

I think the Sixers won 22 and 23 games with 1 NBA player give or take. It's just hard to drop below that threshold. The league is reducing free games on back to backs and 4 in 5s that help bad teams grind their way up, but it's just hard to be that bad.

1. Wade 2. Jrue Holiday's brother 3. Zach Lavine 4. Brook Lopez 5. Christiano Felicio 5.5 Paul Zipser Those are 3.5 NBA starters (not good starters) and a couple role players.
I think Markannen will be good, Kris Dunn is guaranteed to be better than last year, then they have some human men who might be rotation players. It's going to be bad, but it's really hard to only win 22 games. It's difficult. They're far better than Brooklyn -Lin who won 20 games last year.
I'm sorry to say it but I think it's going to be a tough battle with Atlanta or a bad team with injuries for the number 1 pick. It looks like Atlanta----------Nets--Chicago---Suns-----

I'd bet a dollar that Wade won't be on the Bulls this season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Walton's dead in the water. The front office got rid of every last shooter the team had, and don't really have a way to use Brook Lopez without radically changing the offense, and are too young to play defense. The team will run a lot, but the narrative about how "they're running but not scoring" is gonna pop up sometime early in December, and the coach that this front office didn't hire seems like a good fall guy.

I expect Kurt Rambis to be head coach by January with the team being shadow coached by Byron Scott who will be brought on as a consultant. I don't think the Lakers break 20, much less get to 30.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings don't have many great players in their history but Artest probably should have been on their over Rudy

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there might be a real chance John Collins is the best player on the Hawks. Yes I know he's a rookie.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I think Walton's dead in the water. The front office got rid of every last shooter the team had, and don't really have a way to use Brook Lopez without radically changing the offense, and are too young to play defense. The team will run a lot, but the narrative about how "they're running but not scoring" is gonna pop up sometime early in December, and the coach that this front office didn't hire seems like a good fall guy.

I expect Kurt Rambis to be head coach by January with the team being shadow coached by Byron Scott who will be brought on as a consultant. I don't think the Lakers break 20, much less get to 30.

I think they would have a lot of trouble firing even if the team is worse next year, I think he is probably as popular, if not more than Magic

I cant see him not getting to year 3 unless he punches a fan or something crazy

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I just looked at Atlantas roster :stare:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Cha 42.5 -- This is dificil, I would say hard over if MKG was hurt again, he really fucks up the flow of their offense. But Batum won't be hurt. so they should be an over barring anything catastrophic

42.5 sounds about right to me. I get that about MKG, since they won 48 games basically without him in '15-'16, but pretty much every indication is that his defense is worth it -- they've been significantly better with him on the floor the last four years. I think they have a decent chance at a top-10, maybe top-five, defense with him and Dwight even if the offense has rough patches.

I don't think he's irreplaceable by any stretch, but that great '15-'16 without MKG was flukey in a lot of ways. Even with contract-year Batum and Lin off the bench they were hovering around .500 until they traded for Courtney Lee. He was a perfect fit with the starters, and Lin + a still sort-of functional Al Jefferson is the best second unit they've had with this core.

This year's starters are probably going to be really good together -- Dwight might muck up some of the offensive flow since he's turnover-prone and not the passer Zeller is, but having a guy teams are afraid to drive on will help a lot. (One of Charlotte's best lineups last year was Kemba/Batum/MKG/Marvin/Hibbert.) Like pretty much every team under Clifford they'll probably go as far as their bench takes them. Zeller will help but they basically need some health luck, Monk to have a good-to-great rookie season + some growth from Kaminsky. Ideally MCW is glued to the bench after the few months, too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think they would have a lot of trouble firing even if the team is worse next year, I think he is probably as popular, if not more than Magic

I cant see him not getting to year 3 unless he punches a fan or something crazy

Let's see what happens when talk radio starts doing their poo poo in six weeks.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dejan Bimble posted:

LAC 43.5- OVER my god

I totally missed that one the first time. Yeah, they'll be much better than that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That win total is based on their two best players who are injury prone to last 70 games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

That win total is based on their two best players who are injury prone to last 70 games.

Yeah, I would probably take the over if I had to, but I'd stay away from that Clippers team. I dunno if Gallo is better than DJ, but I can see injuries derailing that team pretty hard. If everyone is reasonably healtyh they are probably in that 48-50 range, so I don't think they have a ton of wiggle room.

I think people are underestimating the potential of the Clippers to be a big hot mess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Brook can shoot 3s now at a decent volume so maybe that will help make it work

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/902871025368547333

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think LaVine is supposed to be out most of the year?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like this quote on advanced metrics from Bill James

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

I think LaVine is supposed to be out most of the year?

He was hurt in February, and usually most players are back on the court 12 months after an ACL tear. He'll probably play 40-50 games this year, but most of those will be working back to where he was.

Edit: For what it's worth, LaVine is saying he'll be ready for the start of the season, but I expect probably December/January is more likely.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/30/16225810/kyrie-irving-trade-bucks-cavs-celtics-malcolm-brogdon-khris-middleton-isaiah-thomas-injury

this seems too good to be true but I'd love to see kyrie and giannis make everyone fear the deer again

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

lol Nets are gonna be a better team than the Knicks so incredibly soon and then forever

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Bucks were so good when Middleton was back last year why would they ever trade him

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I would not have been upset to get middleton/broggy

it would be funny to see Kyrie go from Cleveland to the Cleveland of Wisconsin

Brolander fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 30, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Boston under is probably the most sure ive been about and O/U in a long time

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Despair posted:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/30/16225810/kyrie-irving-trade-bucks-cavs-celtics-malcolm-brogdon-khris-middleton-isaiah-thomas-injury

this seems too good to be true but I'd love to see kyrie and giannis make everyone fear the deer again

I am 100% cool with the deal falling through if there is fence mending going on behind the scenes such that everyone is cool with the situation come tip off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I almost want to figure out how to gamble to put money on Bos under

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Spacebump posted:

Mavs are going over, easy money.

With how many times you posted this poo poo they drat well better or im finding you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basing your optimism on Nerlens Noel boy i don't know .

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

GobiasIndustries posted:

Holy poo poo I just looked at Atlantas roster :stare:

This team got hollowed out in such a weird way. Usually when a team loses all its good players there's a bunch of crappy young guys left behind, but Atlanta is like entirely a roster of a team's 6th-10th best players

A team with Dennis Schroeder as its best player should be doomed to fail spectacularly, but I could almost see them gritting together a season that places them outside of the bottom five

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Even if Schröder somehow manages to play the entire regular season like he did in the playoffs, it won't be enough. They're a mess.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The weirdest thing about Atlanta's fall is that we all saw it coming and there really wasn't much they could've done differently.

Even if they would've blown it up they wouldn't have got much in return.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/902921356219731969

I wonder if his sources are the same ones as Broussard's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dick Vitale tweets like if Donald Trump had a normal human heart and feelings.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

So Magic Johnson then

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Noel is good

I think the Mavs could definitely hit the over if only by virtue of not starting the year 4-17 or whatever the gently caress again. It's really dependent on a bunch of players developing and old Dirk not being too old to remain the key component that keeps the offense that made JJ Barea's career humming. Does Barnes continue to grow into the lead role or does he plateau, what do we get out of DSJ out the gate, can Dorian Finney-Smith beat the odds and hit a 3 pointer once in a while, these are the question that will be answered.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rick posted:

I'm gonna have to agree with Rick. Firing Walton during a rebuild only to get probably worse coach will only delay things and gently caress up the timeline. So of course this seems like a definite Magic move.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Space Camp fuckup posted:

So Magic Johnson then

True, though he does not have a normal human immune system

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/902921356219731969

I wonder if his sources are the same ones as Broussard's.

IT has to report today and the Cavs need to make a decision one way or another by tomorrow 10am EDT, so its pretty likely today is the day stuff happens.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

IT has to report today and the Cavs need to make a decision one way or another by tomorrow 10am EDT, so its pretty likely today is the day stuff happens.

Not if they decide to extend the deadline, and it's going to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

zoux posted:

I like this quote on advanced metrics from Bill James

Wish I was smart enouf to understand what that says

• Locked thread