Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah I kind of don't want Eternal-playable dinosaurs, because when I think "dinosaur" I don't think "2-mana 2/1 that interacts meaningfully with blue cantrips"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Surprised they decided to do vehicles again. Quite honestly I'd have been glad to have never seen them again.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I don't think there's a creature that costs more than 3 and isn't an artifact, colorless, or intended to be cheated out that is playable in Vintage or Legacy. Modern is less restrictive, but it's still difficult. Your best bet is some sort of 4 mana guy on par with borderline playable siege rhino.

Would Flametongue Kavu be playable in Modern?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control another merfolk or Island.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Smashing Link posted:

Talk about doing nothing on an empty board.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

probably not, there's too many essentially creatureless decks, and coco/chord decks would rather play banisher priest or big game hunter or whatever. so that relegates it to the sideboard where you can find cheaper anti-aggro tech

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

There are cards that are close to Kavu (Skinrender) that see 0 play

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah I kind of don't want Eternal-playable dinosaurs, because when I think "dinosaur" I don't think "2-mana 2/1 that interacts meaningfully with blue cantrips"

I could a small clever conniving dinosaur fitting those design paramenters

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Or a Birds of Paradise preprint

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They could make a functional reprint of Young Pyromancer that's a bunch of those little nippy assholes that killed the dude in the first jurassic park movie.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Large version of the Twilight Legion Battleship art

https://twitter.com/tituslunter/status/902836459425681409

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control another merfolk or Island.

This card is delightful but it ain't no cursecatcher.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

DangerDongs posted:

What is he even defending? The video quality is so bad.

That there was nothing in the rules that said he couldn't have 2 decks at once and treat deck manipulation spells as affecting both of them.

*narrator voice* there is:

quote:

401. Library
401.1. When a game begins, each player’s deck becomes his or her library.
401.2. Each library must be kept in a single face-down pile. Players can’t look at or change the order of
cards in a library.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a pretty solid dude but I can't imagine cutting anything from current merfolk lists for it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a pretty solid dude but I can't imagine cutting anything from current merfolk lists for it.

Can't imagine going UG Merfolk in an age where Death's Shadow is a thing.

Kopala further fortifies the Mono U strategy by being a good card that can be swapped out with Kira based on your meta.

Edit: My real dream scenario is vial Kopala in response to Snapcaster targetting Kolaghan's Command. Nice 5 mana instant bud.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 30, 2017

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The new uncommon land could make UG merfolk viable but needs a really killer reason for it. A UG lord or whatnot. 2/2 for G ain't making the cut.

The new legend is great too. Not too many circumstances where I would want Kira over it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wurzag posted:

Surprised they decided to do vehicles again. Quite honestly I'd have been glad to have never seen them again.

IIRC Ixalan was actually designing vehicles first before Kaladesh pilfered them for its own use.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

I agree, with the caveat that it wouldn't take toooo much more to make UGfolk pretty deece

In standard though, I bet this guy's good

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

IIRC Ixalan was actually designing vehicles first before Kaladesh pilfered them for its own use.

Yep vehicles and the Monarch mechanic from Take The Crown were designed for Ixalan.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

3RG
Trample
When it enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each other creature.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Tainen posted:

3RG
Trample
When it enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each other creature.

That's real fun with Enrage.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I haven't seen anything that's going to keep my Enigma drake deck alive post rotation.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
p cool that ixalan has feathered dinosaurs imo

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bigperm posted:

I haven't seen anything that's going to keep my Enigma drake deck alive post rotation.

There is still just under 200 cards not revealed yet including 22 or so rares+mythics

All the cool kids will be flinging dinosaurs now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'm sensing some inevitable attempt to build a WRG edh deck with all of those dinosaurs + enrage effects + blink effects.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I want something with Enrage - make a copy of this. I wanna build Patron Warrior in magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

p cool that ixalan has feathered dinosaurs imo

It's half scientific accuracy, half Quetzalcoatl.

InterrupterJones posted:

I'm sensing some inevitable attempt to build a WRG edh deck with all of those dinosaurs + enrage effects + blink effects.

Marath is already a Naya commander that loves to ramp and can machine-gun things.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Is there a chance that Panharmonicon becomes a thing with all these explore and raid ETBs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's half scientific accuracy, half Quetzalcoatl.

That's what I was thinking.

(isn't the latest consensus that the T-Rex didn't have feathers or barely any?)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I want something with Enrage - make a copy of this. I wanna build Patron Warrior in magic.

This is both an amazing and terrible idea.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Tainen posted:

Card Name 5W
Creature - Dinosaur
Enrage - Whenever ~ is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
3/5

Six mana is a lot, but this thing goes absolutely nuts with walking ballista and winding constrictor.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

I don't think there's a creature that costs more than 3 and isn't an artifact, colorless, or intended to be cheated out that is playable in Vintage or Legacy.

There's a few legit 4-drops, past that it depends if you're willing to accept decks like Nic Fit and Dragon Stompy as "playable". I guess B/R Reanimator hardcasts Grave Titans sometimes.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Patron was my first real hs deck and it's all been downhill from there. Loved decks where at a certain point you're roping every turn and just spending the whole time doing arithmetic :allears:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

There's a few legit 4-drops, past that it depends if you're willing to accept decks like Nic Fit and Dragon Stompy as "playable". I guess B/R Reanimator hardcasts Grave Titans sometimes.

Does mentor with a tax on it count

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Good news!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Tishana, Voice of Thunder has a better ETB and the same cmc as Regal Force, maybe that's her place.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Balon posted:

The new uncommon land could make UG merfolk viable but needs a really killer reason for it. A UG lord or whatnot. 2/2 for G ain't making the cut.

The new legend is great too. Not too many circumstances where I would want Kira over it.

Hmm yes, the 2/2 legendary with no flying and worse ability, but same CMC is totally better than Kira because sometimes it's a 3/3 or even a 4/4 :jerkbag: Any time you would want to use Kopala, the only reason you shouldn't be using Kira is because you're too poor to. This set is going to have zero worthwhile Merfolk for Modern and it's going to make me loving miserable until the next set

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Autism Sneaks posted:

Hmm yes, the 2/2 legendary with no flying and worse ability, but same CMC is totally better than Kira because sometimes it's a 3/3 or even a 4/4 :jerkbag: Any time you would want to use Kopala, the only reason you shouldn't be using Kira is because you're too poor to. This set is going to have zero worthwhile Merfolk for Modern and it's going to make me loving miserable until the next set

Abrupt Decay is a card that exists, and having the type Merfolk in a Merfolk deck is incredibly relevant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

Quoting this idiot post for 6 months from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
e: lol if loving smoothbrain TheKingofSprings thinks he can dunk on someone else's card eval I know I walk the righteous path, now where's mcmagic to disagree with me too

ThePeavstenator posted:

Abrupt Decay is a card that exists, and having the type Merfolk in a Merfolk deck is incredibly relevant.

Okay, there is one card it can interact with that Kira can't, but AD for 4 isn't back-breaking coming from a 3-drop, and still isn't as broadly useful as a free counter for any of your creatures that includes triggered abilities. Having creature type Merfolk doesn't push it above the Kira threshold either because you're trading built-in flying for just the possibility of Islandwalk and a small P/T buff, or even more marginally a Reejerey trigger.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 30, 2017