Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course the correct solution is for the world to abolish DST.

I wish. gently caress sundowns by 5pm in winter. :canada:

Anyone else notice a delay when trying to open the quote/edit/etc. "three dot menu button" in the first ten seconds or so of posting, before it registers a tap?
I thought it was just my N5 finally starting to die near the edges of the screen, but my G6 does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yes, and I've been meaning to report that for a long time. It didn't used to; started happening a few months ago. I've discovered that usually, when you scroll just a bit up or down, you can get it to respond right away. It's the biggest deal for me when I'm trying to set Last Read, which is often.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it has something to do with web view or some shared library, because Twitter has a similar feature which has a similar delay.

I've also noticed a ton of programs having a huge delay when opening them from the notification shade. It seems like Google broke something ~1 month ago.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How do you mean, "in the first 10 seconds of posting"? And is there any difference between doing it when the page is loading (the loading bar is still doing stuff at the top) and when it's finished?

I've never seen it on my N5 so I'm not sure what's up. Also what version are y'all on - it's listed in About in the settings if you didn't know

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't noticed it having anything to do with posting. It seems somewhat random to me when clicking on the 3 dots next to someone's post. Twitter has the little down-arrow / chevron next to someone's tweets that often does the same thing. The menu it brings up looks very similar and I assume they are using a similar library.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't noticed it having anything to do with posting. It seems somewhat random to me when clicking on the 3 dots next to someone's post.

Yeah that.

Version 3.3.3 on a galaxy s5 sport.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah there's no library involved. Some of the backend stuff has changed recently so if it's a new thing it could be down to that!

If you can, see if you notice a trend in when it happens - like threads with tons of images, or embedded videos, or whatever. It's possible the javascripts are getting slowed down, but I've never seen it happen so it's just speculation right now :frogbon:

But yeah, mention the version number if you can, that helps

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

baka kaba posted:

How do you mean, "in the first 10 seconds of posting"? And is there any difference between doing it when the page is loading (the loading bar is still doing stuff at the top) and when it's finished?

I've never seen it on my N5 so I'm not sure what's up. Also what version are y'all on - it's listed in About in the settings if you didn't know

Like say, if I want to edit or quote a post within a few seconds of the page being rendered/drawn; the three dot menu button is unresponsive to my attempts at high speed shitposting.

LG G6 and Nexus 5 - Awful 3.3.1

Haven't noticed it in any image heavy threads for the most part, but then, I don't post very often in those in the first place. I post mainly in the CoD thread, and some slower moving D&D/Games/misc threads.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 18, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

All right yeah, I see it if I load a thread with pics and stuff and immediately mash some menu buttons. Thanks JavaScript!!!

There's probably a bunch of stuff there that can be done more efficiently, kinda depends on what's on the page too though. Can't promise it'll get super responsive but I'll add it as an issue!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Why does the app say you can't ignore someone through it but it does? The users posts still show up in the app but their posts show up as ignored in a browser.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It says you can't unignore them in the app. Warning you you can't undo what you're about to do.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Internet Explorer posted:

It says you can't unignore them in the app. Warning you you can't undo what you're about to do.

It said you can't ignore users yet it did ignore them and still showed their posts in the app.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

We Know Catheters posted:

It said you can't ignore users yet it did ignore them and still showed their posts in the app.
It says it can not be undone. You cannot undo ignoring a user within the app, but you can add them to the list.

You might have to refresh before it hides the posts, but it works fine for me?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah, i have been able to ignore people for ages. i think the complainer just didn't read the instructions

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Did something stupid happen in an update or in my pocket? When I click a link or image now instead of getting a floating menu with options (copy, share, display, download, etc) I just get dumped into the appropriate app, which sucks.

I didn't realize I would have a Something Awful Mobile workflow, but time makes fools of us all.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In > settings > posts is an option to always open links. Not sure how you enabled that by accident though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! I took my phone out of my pocket the other day and it was in some settings, no idea how it happened either but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: nvm, i must be high

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
So I've been having this issue for a while on my old rear end Moto X, but I just got a G5+ running Nougat 7.0 and it's still happening. If I'm scrolling down through a thread (dragging my finger up the screen) and I hit a section with block of text tagged as code, the app starts to open the side menu as if I'd dragged my finger in from the left. Its like it suddenly starts interpreting my input as being horizontal instead of vertical. If I touch and drag the very righthand edge of the block, or any of the text before or after, the scrolling works normally. Is this a known issue?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It happens when the code block is at the bottom of the page, yeah. Never been able to work out what's causing it! It's not a bug it's an old friend

Probably something to do with pull-to-refresh which I just noticed you can't disable properly 🤔

code:

Scroll me like one of your French girls

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 26, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
That happens on code blocks everywhere for me, not just on the bottom of the page. Across multiple phones and years.

Edit: jk it's fixed in the situation I described above

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

baka kaba posted:

If you're the person with the username that begins with L whose app keeps crashing when you open it, clear your app data thanks!

How did you know!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

We get crash reports that help us fix things, but some things you just can't fix! (said yr database was corrupted)

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
How neat is that?
I changed my password but the app did not show the login screen and instead just would not grab new posts or update forums.
I could access settings but I didn't think to try letting all my dreams come true.
After clearing data i had to log in again and it was good.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Very neat

Yeah logging out would have been the easy way.

The app actually used to log you out in this case. This was (I think) changed when {a thing} happened that caused everyone to get logged out all the time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh hmm. Guess that could be a thing - that problem was cookies getting cleared, which kicks you to the login screen. If there's no login error that wipes them I guess it would just fail forever. I reckon that just needs a tweak in the error handler

There's also the thing where if you're not logged in when the app starts you get update error messages, which looks pretty rubbish

But there was a corrupt database error for those crash reports, so I'm not sure that was a login thing. The moral of the story is - if you keep getting bad crashes, try clearing your data! If you still get them then welp, better mention it here

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any way to disable announcement notification bars?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

No because when the forums ascend to the astral plane of Xenforo, burning all apps to ash and cinders, that's how you'll know it's coming

It only pops up once for a couple of seconds!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

It only pops up once for a couple of seconds!

WTF, how dare you force this poo poo on me.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Any way to disable announcement notification bars?

You could post a belligerent QCS thread about how we paid for no-ads and Lowtax keeps bombarding us with notifications on the app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

WTF, how dare you force this poo poo on me.

To be fair Lowtax has been going wild lately. Or maybe I'm only just noticing it now they're in the app :yayclod:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Use a piece of tape.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They've been around forever but Lowtax is just going hog wild recently. That's all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it possible to request a feature?

If it was possible to hide threads it would own. Someone's going manic / depressive again in GBS.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 16, 2017

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm pretty sure you'd end up with only like 3 threads per page using that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

True.

But GBS sucks so hard right now. This app dev is the hero we need to at least help us ignore the problem.

I'd find the feature really useful on most boards though, some threads just go a certain way and I'm not interested in them.

Ps love the app. I wish the w10 app was like this.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 16, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Protip. Don't go to GBS.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

But GBS sucks so hard right now.

"right now"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sereri posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd end up with only like 3 threads per page using that.

Not seeing the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It actually used to be pretty good. But it's been a looooong time since then.