Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, devil's advocate here:

A pro-road racer isn't on the set of Deadpool 2 to do pro-road racing, she's on the set to do stunts.

In typical big budget fashion, this is also a film with nine producers, including Stan Lee (94).

Whatever the case, the stunt coordinator will likely take the most heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/902306249575763970
Man this is going to hang a cloud over enjoying Deadpool 2 knowing they pulled a Landis

What the gently caress. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Are we sure it has to do with the stunt person death? What about that tweet had to do with it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Are we sure it has to do with the stunt person death? What about that tweet had to do with it?

According to the thread Joi couldn't do the stunt successfully during the practice runs, and the stunt coordinator didn't want Joi to do it for that reason, which is that person's job and decision to make. But the producers were adamant about going through with it because they didn't want to spend the money to either find/train a stuntwoman that could do it and be a good physical match instead of a professional racer or to use CG to replace a helmet with the person's head and face (which is what they're rolling with for the stunt now for obvious reasons). Literally pulled a Vic Morrow.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's a whole thread below it that details what happened. It's pretty messed up stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah. That's horrific. Sounds like something Fox would do back in 2004. I thought they changed but I guess not! Jesus.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This poo poo is rampant. If you ever hear of someone dying on set the safe bet is to assume they died because someone wanted to save money.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Neo Rasa posted:

According to the thread Joi couldn't do the stunt successfully during the practice runs, and the stunt coordinator didn't want Joi to do it for that reason, which is that person's job and decision to make. But the producers were adamant about going through with it because they didn't want to spend the money to either find/train a stuntwoman that could do it and be a good physical match instead of a professional racer or to use CG to replace a helmet with the person's head and face (which is what they're rolling with for the stunt now for obvious reasons). Literally pulled a Vic Morrow.

This is disgusting. Plan B has now become Plan A, but someone had to lose their life to demonstrate why Plan A was a bad plan. This is an excusable shitshow fully on the producers' heads. Glad it sounds like the stunt coordinators did the right thing and it won't get dumped on their lap, cause honestly the producers should be either criminally or at least civilly held responsible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is the best article available on what actually happened:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-set-death-could-have-been-prevented-1031814

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Why did I even bother reading the comments? I'm going to be in a bad mood the whole morning.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Literally nothing will come of this. None of the producers will face any backlash once it's blown over in a week.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is this pretty much all the producers' fault, or is director Leitch implicated as well?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The film thoroughly criticizes him, if it didn't (and he didn't), he wouldn't be Christ-like. That's always what's missing in that analysis - if that were the case, Chris Kyle would be a Jesus figure.

I disagree. Characters criticise him based on misunderstandings, and the film shows that to be misunderstandings, or something he is intensely aware of himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

Is this pretty much all the producers' fault, or is director Leitch implicated as well?

I'm not defending anyone, but normally they shoot the stunts with a different crew. So it's possible he not have known all the behind the scenes things going own with the stunt coordinators. Same with Reynolds. He's a producer too, however. It's hard to say right now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Is there any means of independent investigation when an incident like this happens?

I'm thinking is there something equivalent to what I'm used to in my maritime career, where any incidents of a certain severity (in Australia) get escalated to independent investigation by an established body to assess points of failure in management systems as well as individual decision making.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

I disagree. Characters criticise him based on misunderstandings, and the film shows that to be misunderstandings, or something he is intensely aware of himself.

"Should this creature even exist?" is definitely not a misunderstanding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Should this creature even exist?" is definitely not a misunderstanding.

It kind of is, because the answer is 'It does.'

Of course, literally the moment before Superman comes up in front of government officials to open dialogue in front of the world, it is sabotaged brutally by those who have already made up their mind about him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inescapable Duck posted:

And then, at the end of the movie, it doesn't (at least for now).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sure but misapprehension is not misunderstanding, the former stakes out a position, the latter can be construed as a sad mistake.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

If you believe the leakstorm, it is the producers' fault and the stuntpeople had nothing to do with it. It's pretty easy to see the through line of the people most vulnerable to litigation and most closely involved complaining the loudest.

I'm not saying don't believe early reports, just to take a critical eye to the whole thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The stuntpeople will always fold because any stuntperson who doesn't work with the money will be blackballed out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Brother Entropy posted:

the difference there is that stardust the super wizard doesn't have multiple scenes afterwards questioning whether that righteous violence was laudable and if it didn't just make things worse overall (at least i'm assuming it doesn't, given its reputation)
It's actually more like an indictment of the Old Testament concept of God. Stardust is a basically omnipotent and omniscient god who waits for super-criminals to commit atrocities, then inflicts horrifying poetic justice on them.

Stardust's villains are exceptional in the number of people they kill, and he does little or nothing to stop them before they kill lots of people, or help fix things afterwards.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Stardust isn't really an indictment of anything, as originally written. Fletcher Hanks genuinely thought that that was what a superhero should look like, because Fletcher Hanks was batshit out of his loving gourd.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stardust is outsider art.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Stardust isn't really an indictment of anything, as originally written. Fletcher Hanks genuinely thought that that was what a superhero should look like, because Fletcher Hanks was batshit out of his loving gourd.

Stardust is actually not really that different than say, The Spectre, which was grim and gruesome as all get out in the meting of justice for what some might say are proportionally petty crimes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm just reading the art and not the artist, but yes, Fletcher Hanks being an alcoholic psychopath is probably the reason Stardust and Fantomah were unique.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Stardust is outsider art.
Not really; he learned to draw from a correspondence course.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's still great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Loosely related to the thread. Walt Simonson talks about Jack Kirby and a little bit about Thor: Ragnarok from the AV Club:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/iconic-thor-creator-walt-simonson-talks-about-jack-kirb-1798514257

Kirby was the loving poo poo. It's a shame as a 12 year old I didn't appreciate what he was doing and was more drawn towards Adams and Perez - the hyper realistic style - than the dynamic that Jack had mastered.

Just figured I'd shove this on here is all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like figuring out that Kirby kicks rear end when you're like 25 is a very common story with comics fans.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
As a non comic reader, my general impression of Reed Richards from cultural osmosis is that he's at best a narcissistic tosspot, and at worst a flatout Supervillian. And the only reason everyone puts up with him is that when he says he's the smartest man on the planet and they all need him...he's pretty much right.

They probably work best in film like the Hulk. Not the stars of the show, but supporting acts.

I really think it's only a matter of time though before Marvel get the rights and introduce them in a retroactive 60's period piece (like Captain Marvel in the 90's)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gosling should have been Dr. Strange, Cumberbatch should have been Reed Richards.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but first look at Evangeline Lily as The Wasp

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's a big penis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

As a non comic reader, my general impression of Reed Richards from cultural osmosis is that he's at best a narcissistic tosspot, and at worst a flatout Supervillian. And the only reason everyone puts up with him is that when he says he's the smartest man on the planet and they all need him...he's pretty much right.
One of the things I most enjoyed about the Top 100 What If Countdown was the running theme that Reed Richards' sanity is hanging by a thread and without Sue, he'll nuke reality.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the insect compound eye boob plates is an odd look

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the things I most enjoyed about the Top 100 What If Countdown was the running theme that Reed Richards' sanity is hanging by a thread and without Sue, he'll nuke reality.

That send like a bit of a problem since he's immortal and she isn't

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scyantific posted:

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but first look at Evangeline Lily as The Wasp

Okay look

No matter what, that's lovely Mass Effect looking armor that's boring as hell

But what happened to the yellow from the first movie? Like, seriously, what actually happened? It had yellow on it. It did. I remember it. You can find pictures of it.

Why did they make it even more boring

Also seriously loving stop it with the goddamn boob armor already there is no reason for that. It just looks stupid. Christ

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the insect compound eye boob plates is an odd look

All superhero costumes look loving stupid in a set photo, and all you really need to do is light and frame your subject in an atmospheric way where the suit becomes emblematic of a certain part of a character rather than being the predominate focus of literally every shot they're in.

But, then again, you know, Marvel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

K. Waste posted:

All superhero costumes look loving stupid in a set photo, and all you really need to do is light and frame your subject in an atmospheric way where the suit becomes emblematic of a certain part of a character rather than being the predominate focus of literally every shot they're in.

But, then again, you know, Marvel.

That doesn't look like a set photo. It looks like an official production still.

Sure, there will still be some after effects done to it, and plenty of it. But that sure looks like a shot from the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

thrawn527 posted:

That doesn't look like a set photo. It looks like an official production still.

Sure, there will still be some after effects done to it, and plenty of it. But that sure looks like a shot from the movie.

I'll admit it could be shot from the movie, but I would not say it looks specifically like a shot from the movie (which none of us has seen). It looks like a shot, taken on a set, of a performer in costume. It could be either, but I lean on set photo because most promotional images released before a trailer is even out would not be actual raw footage from the production. Nobody promotes a film that way except college students.

But, like I admitted, you could be right, but only because it is Marvel, the guys who replaced Edgar Wright with loving Peyton Reed.

• Locked thread