Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrono Triggered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

babypolis posted:

oh god repressed memories of all the terrible islands are flooding back into my mind

This has been my entire run of the game. The only two I remembered as egregious before picking up 3DS were Dharma and the aforementioned "gotta do this place 3 times to peace out" story arc.

Then I got to the cliffside city and there's a reason it's been on hold until I finish a month-long Mr. Driller match.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i will agree watching that tournament in a time before xseed added the manual speed-up option was excruciating

Sakurazuka posted:

Chrono Triggered

i dont have enough spoons to save the world today lucca

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you were gonna compare tits unfavorably to something at least compare it to like, shadow hearts covenant, a game from the same year that actually has a more engaging and fast combat system and not something even more mindless and repetitive

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Turbo buttons are good, but if you skip animations in Disgaea you're dead inside.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People complaining about optional features never, ever made sense to me. Must be that same disease that makes people platinum games for trophy on FFX.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Turbo buttons are good, but if you skip animations in Disgaea you're dead inside.

I'm pretty sure after the 900th time I did CoO3 if I wasn't skipping attack animations I would have gouged my own eyes out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chrono trigger needs a turbo button more than any other video game in the history of the world

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

People complaining about optional features never, ever made sense to me. Must be that same disease that makes people platinum games for trophy on FFX.

Other people are having fun in a way different from how I have fun. This cannot stand. Only I can have the fun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

chrono trigger needs a turbo button more than any other video game in the history of the world

except for TiTs.

Shame there isn't a turbo button for the plot

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
i'm pressing the turbo button on this conversation because i've already played this part

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Flame wars are the ultimate turn-based combat system, when you think about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

except for TiTs.

Shame there isn't a turbo button for the plot

There is skip to the second game.

Cold Steel however doesn't have that out

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

shitposting is just grinding when you really think about it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

exquisite tea posted:

phoenix down vote this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

only 700 posts before I level up lets do this

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Path of Radiance actually if only because I'm more likely to play that game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is skip to the second game.

you technically can do this but you'd also have literally no investment in the main hook of the plot so it's an insanely bad idea regardless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dmboogie posted:

you technically can do this but you'd also have literally no investment in the main hook of the plot so it's an insanely bad idea regardless

Oh it is but to be honest if you plan to play a trails game for the main plot you are just making a mistake so go all in I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh it is but to be honest if you plan to play a trails game for the main plot you are just making a mistake so go all in I guess.

the main plot in the trails games is good

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

why on earth would you play a trails game if you don't care at all about plot? There's a ton of other good rpgs with minimal story to choose from instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't know how you can play 100+ hours of trails while thinking the plot is bad

the plot is the characters. the character writing is intrinsically tied into the plot. you can't even make that excuse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess he could mean 'i didn't like the plot but i liked the characters' which'd be kinda fair but that still makes no sense because skipping to the second game would make all the character arcs make no sense or have no basis

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tae posted:

For a consumer, yeah there's nothing wrong. For a dev, there's only so much you're gonna be able to put in your game.

I also never said there was anything wrong with options, unless we're talking "play game at half-speed" options which I would say it's mostly useless. Or at least, it would be for turn-based games where speed has no bearing on the actual gameplay systems. It's good in other games.

U-DO Burger posted:

why on earth would you play a trails game if you don't care at all about plot? There's a ton of other good rpgs with minimal story to choose from instead

My friend sold me on trails by all the extra dialogue and world building and extra poo poo outside of the plot, which I am cool with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

the main plot in the trails games is good

They are but people tend to only think of games as when the main plot starts and everything else is wasting time.

If you feel that way I don't think the trails games are gonna work because they all take their sweet time setting it up.

I find the idea people treat games that way confusing and dumb but they do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trails in the sky fc has a main plot, and you're introduced to lawrence and the gang in chapter 2. it starts kinda slow and it's more figuring out what they're doing for 90% of the game but it still has a plot. something being small scale doesn't make it not have a main plot.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

exquisite tea posted:

I mean in the sense of like "this item actually does stuff" and mousing over it gives an explosion of affix text instead of +2 strength, forever.

Would The World Ends With You count?
It's been awhile, but I seem to remember the pins having a uniqueness to them that other JRPG equipment doesn't have.
They decide what attacks you use for starters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway speaking of games that need turbo buttons dark rose valkyrie isn't great but some of the dialogue is fun

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I actually kind of appreciate it when a game doesn't rocket out of the gate with some world ending crisis or some obvious Bad Guy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Slow as poo poo combat" is the reason I only got 4 hours into Lost Odyssey.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I almost stopped playing Lost Odyssey because the first boss pushed my poo poo in like 20 times before the boss' AI routine finally decided not to spam AoE

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is SaGa Scarlet Grace a must-buy? I have a buddy going to Japan and he asked me for a list of Vita games I want him to get cheap/used. Other than Scarlet Grace (and SRW V) I can't think of any Japan-exclusives I really want.

I already got Tales of Innocence which was the other big exclusive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

I almost stopped playing Lost Odyssey because the first boss pushed my poo poo in like 20 times before the boss' AI routine finally decided not to spam AoE

lost odyssey is one of those games where if you don't use buffs, you wonder why it's so impossibly hard, but if you do use buffs, you think it's way too easy. like no joke buff magic is like a +50% increase per stat. the real problem is that you have to use the little brother party member to learn spirit magic and aside from his support spells he's really awful in combat

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Getsuya posted:

Is SaGa Scarlet Grace a must-buy? I have a buddy going to Japan and he asked me for a list of Vita games I want him to get cheap/used. Other than Scarlet Grace (and SRW V) I can't think of any Japan-exclusives I really want.

I already got Tales of Innocence which was the other big exclusive.

I've been looking for a good SaGa game since Romancing SaGa so I'd love to see that translated. I would also like a Unicorn.
Also: What IS your avatar from. It looks like something from a game I've probably played before but am drawing a complete blank.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Red Red Blue posted:

I actually kind of appreciate it when a game doesn't rocket out of the gate with some world ending crisis or some obvious Bad Guy.

yeah I really liked TiTS FC just because it was small-ish stakes rather than WROLDS ENDIN GOTTA FIGHT GOD

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Nah it'll just be how the series as a whole ends up wrapping it up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hivac posted:

Nah it'll just be how the series as a whole ends up wrapping it up

i mean the second sky game ended with you fighting an evil wizard in a lost civilization whose plan was to kill humanity or something

it just actually established why you should care about this world being destroyed before that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

i mean the second sky game ended with you fighting an evil wizard in a lost civilization whose plan was to kill humanity or something

it just actually established why you should care about this world being destroyed before that

Not quite (BIG TiTS SC spoilers follow);

The Aureole was the Liberl Ark's AI, capable of manipulating the minds of those in the Ark through their Gospels. The plan to seal it was done VERY carefully, because even a stray thought would've gotten everyone involved very dead. Obviously letting Weissman and Ouroboros have it would not have been a good thing. And why the Church made drat-sure that Weissman was dead afterwards because they do not let that poo poo stand.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

MotU posted:

yeah I really liked TiTS FC just because it was small-ish stakes rather than WROLDS ENDIN GOTTA FIGHT GOD

I'm so sick of large-stakes games. My favorite games never are so wrought with world-ending consequences and villainy. That being said, TiTS is small stakes. It's VERY small stakes. Sometimes the stakes are so loving small as to be so arbitrary that killing that rat in the inn's basement seems like an epic quest.

Edit to add: I should have added before posting: I didn't play very far into the game, so it might get weird later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I've been looking for a good SaGa game since Romancing SaGa so I'd love to see that translated. I would also like a Unicorn.
Also: What IS your avatar from. It looks like something from a game I've probably played before but am drawing a complete blank.

Popolocrois for PS1