Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't even recognize Raven in that last gif STAC had of her laughing.

She looks way better without makeup, especially after she's been crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raven has an uncanny ability to transform herself into a new person with her hair, makeup, and wardrobe. There's more than a few occasions where I had to do a double take on the feeds because I thought someone new was in the house.

And its funny that she pretended not to understand Zingbot's clown joke about her makeup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jason just got done with his HOH tweets. He tweeted "#Jalex". That's it. He thought that's all he could do. He didn't know you could actually type words.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paul's currently playing with hot water. He's spent much of the last few days trashing Kevin with the house. Now he just told Kevin that Alex is trashing him and trying to turn the house against him. Paul literally had a thing just now where Kevin and him were walking into the house trashing Alex while Alex and Christmas were in the kitchen and he immediately transitioned into trashing Kevin in like 5 seconds.

I think Paul can manage this because the divisions are pretty deep and he's not playing risky with people who actually talk like Christmas and Alex. But he's playing fast and loose and has shown an inability to take his foot off the gas during these down days. This is how games like his blow up. It only takes one random comment or mistake.

Also, Josh is now claiming that he took the golden apple on Day 1 because Kevin told him about the $25K and asked him to do it so he didn't have to throw the comp. That seems suspect since we never heard anything about it until now and Josh clearly did freak out, but Josh has shown a very good ability to lie and keep secrets and does seem to have known about the $25K before Paul told him. So it seems plausible.

Also Christmas and Josh have made some mutterings about Alex being "nasty" to Kevin. Its possible Alex is doing damage to her game by really digging in on the Kevin harassing. Everyone's pretty anti-Kevin right now but he's still the old guy they grew attached to and Alex going all mean girl on him could take a toll. Right now the fact that Kevin went all mob on Josh is overpowering it, but its simmering.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 29, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So there was yet ANOTHER fight in the BB House. 6:42 PM.

Earlier in the day Kevin told Paul that he has to get rid of Jason/Alex because he can't beat them if they get to the end. Paul told Jason and Jason then told Kevin that people were saying he was talking about him. Kevin misinterpreted it as Matt having told Jason stuff because Kevin was also talking game stuff to Matt today. So Kevin says that when Matt walked by him he asked "Are you talking about me and telling people I said stuff?" That is apparently what started the fight.

We join the fight with them going at each other. Kevin is telling Matt to not get in his face in a somewhat threatening manner (but not really) and Matt asks him if he's "threatening people again" and if he wants another glass to throw. Matt walks away after that and Kevin defended himself to Paul and Josh saying he didn't say anything and didn't threaten anyone.

Sounds like Paul was provoking Matt to confront Kevin but its unclear if he did or if Kevin started it or if Kevin started it and then Matt escalated it or what.

Feeds have been on fish for the last hour and a half. Which makes me consider the merits of asking CBS for a $6 refund. I mean, I could buy a footlong for lunch with that.

https://streamable.com/cnl4v

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 30, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Feeds back at 8:30 after almost 2 hours off with nothing much happening and no clear indication if something happened during the fish. Kevin is complaining to Christmas and talking about people messing with people's stuff. Matt's in the hot tub with Raven and Paul bitching in general.

Kevin asks Christmas to tell people not to yell him or mess with his stuff or ask BB to make them. He's been asking people this the last couple of days. As best as I can tell no one's really done anything to Kevin besides Alex. And all she did was make a couple of "old" jokes and hide the cooked slop. Alex is being a mean girl but its not anywhere near any of the stuff that has happened in this house, even in fun.

Kevin is kind of babbling about conspiracies about Alex turning the entire house against him and orchestrating these fights. I mean... he's got the "conspiracy" part right (of course that's a given with Big Brother) but the rest seems kind of random and is all focused on Alex being some kind of mastermind. Christmas kind of trying to calm him and assure him things aren't as dire as he thinks.

Christmas: Read between the lines. You are not alone. Okay, that's not between the lines.

Upstairs in HOH Alex, Jason, and Josh are watching Christmas and Kevin on the TVs. In the middle of random bitching Josh figures out that Kevin is leaking stuff to Jessica. Its crazy to say but Josh has low key been the smartest player this season. He's figured a lot of stuff like that out.

Kevin's very put out and a little nuts and Paul and Alex are stirring up poo poo so another fight could happen at any time. But given the pattern BB is likely to just go to fish if there is one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

We join the fight with them going at each other. Kevin is telling Matt to not get in his face in a somewhat threatening manner (but not really) and Matt asks him if he's "threatening people again" and if he wants another glass to throw.
When Kevin and Josh were arguing, Kevin picked up a glass right before the feeds cut. I guess he actually threw the glass? I didn't know that but maybe everyone already did.

This show sucks. Watching people be awful and get in arguments sucks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fast Luck posted:

When Kevin and Josh were arguing, Kevin picked up a glass right before the feeds cut. I guess he actually threw the glass? I didn't know that but maybe everyone already did.

Well you're in luck this season because BB has cut the feeds during most arguments this season.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Fun Fact: Literally all of the stupid drama-filled bullshit fights this season are due to Paul.

Paul is the worst thing to ever happen to BB. Even the Cody poo poo was a daisy-chain result of Paul being in the house.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Counterpoint: Paul owns and almost everyone this season is easy for him to manipulate.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I guess literally no one is responsible for their own actions this season besides Paul.

I am looking forward to seeing Paul blamed for everything on the next season of BB as well, even though he won't be in the house. Paul is probably going to be responsible for the drama in the next season of Survivor too. And now I have to wonder if perhaps Paul might have something to do with the recent drama in US politics!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I think you're misunderstanding my point. Yes, everyone can and should be responsible for their own actions, but all of the toxic fighting has been a direct result of Paul instigating and unnecessarily breeding resentment between groups. You can just look back to the shunning of Jody to see how Paul was actively instigating them to cause even more hostility in the house. Paul was constantly instigating Josh to go bang pots and pans around Mark or Cody. Paul is stirring up all of this poo poo against Kevin (who has been blindly loyal to him btw) in an effort to purposefully burn Kevin.

In the context of Big Brother I can suspend belief enough to know that it's "working" but I still don't see this as a winning strategy in any way and will likely result in the same thing as last season. On top of that, it's making him look like a complete rear end in a top hat and while you do have to lie some of the fault at the feet of the people being manipulated, Paul is playing with a loaded deck because he didn't have the system shock of a first time BB player, AND he got the huge boon of being the "famous" person in a house of people chasing fame. (Not to mention all of the immunity bullshit that was rigged for him).

Would Josh have been an abrasive person in the house if not for Paul? Yeah, probably. Would Kevin have a hair trigger? Probably. Would Cody still be bigoted and Jess still be a mean girl? Probably. However, this stuff would happen organically and be way more fun rather than being some professional wrestling style orchestrated bullshit from Paul. Literally everything about Paul is fake and it's gross to watch. You can see the way he screams and laughs and constantly is glancing at cameras during times he KNOWS will be aired to see it. That's not showmanship, it's pandering.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You are mixing personal feelings against Paul with what is happening in the house though.

Jody imploded not because they dared target Paul, they imploded because they targeted 2 members of their own alliance for back-dooring without consulting anyone else in the alliance and despite the fact that Ramses, who was not in their alliance, existed.

Dom imploded not because she dared call out Paul, but because her talk show was risking blowing up people's games, and then she started speaking in riddles and getting cryptic with people who genuinely wanted to know what info she insisted she had.

Marlena imploded not because they targeted Paul, but because they both insisted on visibly remaining close with Jody after the house had drawn the line in the sand.

Kevin is probably the first person to directly be torched by Paul, and even then, Kevin had given him the ammo by doing pointless sneaky poo poo and then admitting it to specific people.

Matt and Raven are floaters who are pretty much being treated as floaters normally are.

As for Paul instigating drama, again, I can't lay that poo poo at his feet. He's definitely an instigator, but he's mostly done so from recognizing flashpoints in the house and acting on them. No one in the house has not seen a single episode of the show, so if all common sense goes out the window the moment they enter the game and see Paul, then that is 100% their fault. Paul being a troublemaker doesn't really irk me much because anyone with half a brain should be able to realize what he is doing assuming he is actually manipulating them to do something they normally wouldn't do. A functioning adult, after the fact, can tell when they've been manipulated. Paul being fake also doesn't irk me because this whole loving show is designed around falseness. The show lies through omission and is completely dishonest with its audience constantly. Having a dude hamming it up from the camera is the least of its problems when actual bigots are getting not only a free pass, but a positive edit and are welcomed with applause both times they are eliminated.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I guess literally no one is responsible for their own actions this season besides Paul.

I am looking forward to seeing Paul blamed for everything on the next season of BB as well, even though he won't be in the house. Paul is probably going to be responsible for the drama in the next season of Survivor too. And now I have to wonder if perhaps Paul might have something to do with the recent drama in US politics!

I think they probably will cast a nicey-nice bunch next year, and that's a bit of a shame. I don't think the big problems come from people being nasty, they come from a critical mass of people (Matt, Raven and Alex) playing the game with absolutely zero intent to win. You can be a total dick or a dumbass or a bad player or kinda lazy (Cody was all four!) but that doesn't break the covenant of BB. Alex said she wants to "lose her first season and get invited back" in her preshow poo poo. There's no reason not to take her at her word, she gets in all these fights for TV time. And the fights were never real - now you have Matt yelling at Jason for putting him up, breaking the precious Big Brother laws (which I don't care about, but they sure did when it was Jessica not studying for a competition), and they don't even talk behind his back that much. Because he's in the house to kiss the same ring they are.

It's why it was always so silly to expect some kind of great climactic Big Brother seminar after, like, Mark and Elena left - and yeah, Alex's blindside will still be funny, and Paul can easily still lose.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

I think they probably will cast a nicey-nice bunch next year, and that's a bit of a shame. I don't think the big problems come from people being nasty, they come from a critical mass of people (Matt, Raven and Alex) playing the game with absolutely zero intent to win. You can be a total dick or a dumbass or a bad player or kinda lazy (Cody was all four!) but that doesn't break the covenant of BB. Alex said she wants to "lose her first season and get invited back" in her preshow poo poo. There's no reason not to take her at her word, she gets in all these fights for TV time. And the fights were never real - now you have Matt yelling at Jason for putting him up, breaking the precious Big Brother laws (which I don't care about, but they sure did when it was Jessica not studying for a competition), and they don't even talk behind his back that much. Because he's in the house to kiss the same ring they are.

It's why it was always so silly to expect some kind of great climactic Big Brother seminar after, like, Mark and Elena left - and yeah, Alex's blindside will still be funny, and Paul can easily still lose.

Yeah that's actually an excellent point too. You had a bunch of people this year who clearly only wanted to be on the show for exposure and had no intent on going past jury. Like much more openly than any season than I can remember. You always have people who just want to make it to jury, but this year it seemed like half the cast had some aspiration that did not include winning that this season would be a stepping stone to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

As for Paul instigating drama, again, I can't lay that poo poo at his feet. He's definitely an instigator, but he's mostly done so from recognizing flashpoints in the house and acting on them. No one in the house has not seen a single episode of the show, so if all common sense goes out the window the moment they enter the game and see Paul, then that is 100% their fault. Paul being a troublemaker doesn't really irk me much because anyone with half a brain should be able to realize what he is doing assuming he is actually manipulating them to do something they normally wouldn't do. A functioning adult, after the fact, can tell when they've been manipulated. Paul being fake also doesn't irk me because this whole loving show is designed around falseness. The show lies through omission and is completely dishonest with its audience constantly. Having a dude hamming it up from the camera is the least of its problems when actual bigots are getting not only a free pass, but a positive edit and are welcomed with applause both times they are eliminated.

This is kind of bullshit IMO. Nobody can be made to do something, but instigating all of these situations absolutely carries some responsibility.

It's not illegal or whatever but he's absolutely a little shithead whose actions have caused like 90% of the major blowups the last two seasons.

I don't think it's as easy as handwaving it on the people being stupid. It's a high pressure scenario and even reasonable people have clouded judgment in situations like this. He also tends to strike most when the iron is hot and rational thought isn't really something there's time or space for.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is kind of bullshit IMO. Nobody can be made to do something, but instigating all of these situations absolutely carries some responsibility.

It's not illegal or whatever but he's absolutely a little shithead whose actions have caused like 90% of the major blowups the last two seasons.

I don't think it's as easy as handwaving it on the people being stupid. It's a high pressure scenario and even reasonable people have clouded judgment in situations like this. He also tends to strike most when the iron is hot and rational thought isn't really something there's time or space for.

Like I said, he's definitely an instigator, and it is part of his strategy to keep the target off of him. And sure in the heat of the moment people have cloudy judgement, but they have been in the house for 2 months. The moment ain't that long. The fact that none of the people Paul has allegedly been manipulating have yet to calm down and turn around and go, drat I got played, even after weeks of this poo poo, makes me think it is much more likely that these people are kind of just doing what they want to do, and while Paul is goading them on for sure, he isn't remotely pushing them over the edge to do something they would regret. Josh, Jody, Matt, Raven, Mark, Elena, Dom, Kevin, and Alex would have all pretty much behaved the same way, though on a different schedule and slightly different targets without Paul.

I am just refusing to accept Paul as some weird corrupting influence in the house that is singularly responsible for all the drama. Like I said, the poo poo with Jody, which was the single biggest epicenter of drama so far this season, had more to do with their treatment of the house, and their so called alliance than it had to do with simply targeting Paul. Without Cody and Jess being complete assholes and bad players, pretty much none of this poo poo happens. If you put any other competent vet in the game instead of Paul, the season ends up playing out almost identically (since Cody would have likely wanted to target the vet regardless), though there might be slightly less pot banging, depending on who you sub in. If you remove the vet slot entirely, well, sure, but you could also argue the season would play out differently if you removed Cody, or Jess, or Alex, or Jason, etc so that is kind of a moot point.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah that's actually an excellent point too. You had a bunch of people this year who clearly only wanted to be on the show for exposure and had no intent on going past jury. Like much more openly than any season than I can remember. You always have people who just want to make it to jury, but this year it seemed like half the cast had some aspiration that did not include winning that this season would be a stepping stone to.

Yeah, I don't remember anyone in past seasons ever talking about making it to Jury as a goal, but every other houseguest on this season does it and it feels weird and gross.

SweetJahasus posted:

Fun Fact: Literally all of the stupid drama-filled bullshit fights this season are due to Paul.

Paul is the worst thing to ever happen to BB. Even the Cody poo poo was a daisy-chain result of Paul being in the house.

lol nah

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Man y'all are some serious Paul apologists. Just because many of the houseguests make bad decisions and are horrible doesn't mean that Paul isn't equally as lovely and is instigating further disharmony that encourages violence. It's one thing to realize that it's a game and just play the game and backstab or whatever, it's another thing entirely to realize people are on the outs and are very stressed (by their own hand or otherwise) and commanding someone to go bang pots and pans together in their face. It serves to do nothing beyond spitting in the eye of someone while you beat them.

Also, the Cody betrayal/etc is definitely a result of Paul being in the house, as I said. It may not have to do with the fact that Paul did anything to Cody, but were Paul not in the house then Cody wouldn't have betrayed his alliance, thus cleaving that rift in the house which resulted in like 6 weeks of drama. Not necessarily Paul's purposeful fault but his weird forced insertion into the game (which came with a guaranteed secret 3 weeks of safety) ensured that of course someone would come after the one single stand-out veteran, thus resulting in them getting stiff-armed by the temptation and ostracized by the house.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SweetJahasus posted:

Man y'all are some serious Paul apologists. Just because many of the houseguests make bad decisions and are horrible doesn't mean that Paul isn't equally as lovely and is instigating further disharmony that encourages violence. It's one thing to realize that it's a game and just play the game and backstab or whatever, it's another thing entirely to realize people are on the outs and are very stressed (by their own hand or otherwise) and commanding someone to go bang pots and pans together in their face. It serves to do nothing beyond spitting in the eye of someone while you beat them.

Also, the Cody betrayal/etc is definitely a result of Paul being in the house, as I said. It may not have to do with the fact that Paul did anything to Cody, but were Paul not in the house then Cody wouldn't have betrayed his alliance, thus cleaving that rift in the house which resulted in like 6 weeks of drama. Not necessarily Paul's purposeful fault but his weird forced insertion into the game (which came with a guaranteed secret 3 weeks of safety) ensured that of course someone would come after the one single stand-out veteran, thus resulting in them getting stiff-armed by the temptation and ostracized by the house.

It isn't us being Paul apologists when you go on to literally blame his mere presence in the game at all for starting this drama. Seriously you argument is boiling down to "if different people were in the house, different things would have happened." I get not liking Paul, or any specific house guest, but doing mental gymnastics to pin every adult's behavior in the house on him is just silly.

Y'all are doing that thing where you find every single thing that a person you dislike does to be the worst thing ever. Seriously, step outside of your Paul hate for one second. WTF is a solo vet supposed to do in this game besides shift the clear target on their back elsewhere? There are pretty much only two ways to do that. Literally run the game through massive amounts of deceit and dishonesty, to which Paul haters would still be raging that he is puppet mastering, or find the rifts between HGs and exploit them to keep everyone looking at each other, which is what Paul has done, whilst still having tons of people rage at him dominating the game. Is he annoying sometimes? Sure. Is he a dick for telling people to run off and start poo poo with people? Sure, but the other dicks are A: The adults that listen to him repeatedly, B: The other adults watching it and finding it hilarious/good for their game and who apparently see nothing wrong with what Paul is doing and even join in.

I get it, you don't want Paul on your TV. What would you have him do? Just throw the game? Let himself be the biggest target and immediately get evicted? Was he supposed to defend Cody and Jess and refuse to target them? None of those are reasonable. I'm not saying you have to like Paul or his game, but this anti-Paul crusade is getting ridiculous, especially since his biggest targets this season were some of the biggest assholes to ever walk into the BB house.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

SweetJahasus posted:

Man y'all are some serious Paul apologists.

lol nah, Paul is garbage, but blaming him for everything is real dumb

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There is no scenario, Paul or no Paul, that Cody wasn't a crazy trainwreck.

Remember that when he was denied the ability to nominate Paul, he doubled down and nominated Christmas instead, someone who was also nominally on his side.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

There is no scenario, Paul or no Paul, that Cody wasn't a crazy trainwreck.

Remember that when he was denied the ability to nominate Paul, he doubled down and nominated Christmas instead, someone who was also nominally on his side.

Christmas was even more on his side than Paul was, because he flat out did not like Paul, and had basically no reason to toss Christmas up there. Honestly, I think the house was probably more annoyed that he took two shots at their allies, one of whom was Christmas, than they were at him having picked Paul at all. They were also very openly angry at the fact that he refused to tell them what he was planning even though they all asked him, and that he and Jess got super defensive and became outright assholes when they called him out on it. But Paul's beard hides Mind Flayer tendrils I guess, so those can't be reasonable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Paul Haters all focus on "Cody backdoored Paul" and ignore the part where Cody backdoored Christmas who he had made a deal with and made part of his hand selected alliance just days earlier. That he did it all without talking to his other alliance members, refused to give them an answer for why he did it, and generally withdrew from the game after he did it. And then Jess threatened them all and it was all over.

You can blame Paul for a lot of stuff but Week 1 wasn't him. I mean Josh and Megan's shunnings clearly had his hands in them but Jody blew up their games all on their owns and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have done that with or without Paul. And at some point you're just blaming Paul and Christmas for playing better games than Jody.

Paul's unquestionably an instigator and has directly started a number of the fights and indirectly started or escalated tons of others.

I always argue that there's a couple of dominant personalities in the BB House who dictate the atmosphere. BB16 it was Aaryn, Amanda, and Jeremy so the house was nasty, juvenile, and racist. BB16 it was Derrick so the house was generally calm with bouts of Frankie and Zach madness. BB17 it was Audrey, Vanessa, and maybe James so it was bouts of manic gameplay and craziness with a generally pleasant atmosphere. BB18 Day and Paulie so it was really paranoid and nasty.

This season we have Paul and Jody which makes it a really hostile, confrontational, nasty season. Alex and Josh probably aren't as over the top as they are if Paul isn't encouraging it or Jody aren't escalating it. Mark probably gets his poo poo together if Jody aren't constantly telling him he's right to want to hurt Josh and threaten him. Elena probably works her way back into the game like she did in Week 1 if Jody aren't encouraging her to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone and join them.

Fast Luck posted:

I'm leaning towards he didn't throw it, only motioned like he was going to. A few of the HGs have talked about him throwing it or smashing it and BB went to fish when they do, but its unclear if they're recounting what he did or just what he threatened to do. We probably won't know this unless it makes TV or they talk about it and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they try and cover it up entirely like they did with a lot of Cody's violence and drama to the point where in that last week they were editing out Cody out of his own fights.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 30, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah, I'm kind of more interested in the other explanations that aren't Paul shooting death rays from his eyes, including his special guest friendship bracelet introduction (where they all had to basically beg him for safety in the game) and how easily the house got that DOR out of Megan, teaching them that the game can be all about picking on the weak kid.

I hate vet-newbie seasons but I definitely wanted Paul to come back eventually. That's different from liking him per se, even last year. I don't think he has any natural sense of humor, he's a humongous poser, he sucks the air out of rooms (this was all obvious just from BB18 when he was generally the "good guy," the underdog, playing from behind, playing dirty but not this dirty etc.) - but if they could find 16 people to do this show who all play the game as hard as he does, they'd really be onto something. They got "mean" and "ruthless" right with a lot of these people but Paul was always independent, like he wasn't even that loyal to Victor in reality.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess one more thing to add would be that the argument of "Paul is at fault for simply being there which lead to Cody targeting him" is deeply flawed because you could also argue that Cody not being in the house would also have drastically changed things, since he was the one who actually made the decisions that lead to the blow ups. But of course, you are not seeing nearly as many people talking about how Cody ruined this whole season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, you can't just say "If X wasn't there Y doesn't Z". That's the game. You deal with the cast and the twists you get. I don't think it was fair to put one vet in and then give him a bunch of advantages. But BB ain't fair and if you're playing you have to deal with it.

Cody didn't. He pouted and whined and then blamed everyone else when they liked and trusted Paul and Christmas more than him and Jess.

And even with all of that this game is entirely different if Cody just leaves in Week 2 and/or Jess never has the Hex in her back pocket. Would Paul be gone or still comfortable? I have no idea. But this season is the way it is because for the first 2 months the house unified around getting Jody out again and again and again. The "if X doesn't happen Y does" thing works in a lot of ways which is why it doesn't really get us anywhere. What happened happened.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Keep in mind too that Paul was at least busy playing a game. Jody sat up in the HOH during their runs assuming things would just work out for them while the other side of the house put in a poo poo load of work to save Christmas and Josh when they both were up on the block.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the thing all the "Paul ruined the season" stuff ignore. For the first few days of the feeds before Cody blew everything up 2 things were shaping up. (1) Paul and Christmas were playing the best social games in the house and working to be good with everyone and (2) Cody preferred to be in his HOH room, was not socializing well at all, and refusing to talk game to anyone including his closest allies. There was no mystery about the fact that Cody was going to blow everything up by blindsiding his entire alliance and betraying Paul and Christmas. I was all jacked up about it.

Its actually reasonable to theorize that the reason Cody was so sketched out by Paul and Christmas over the other Cool Kids was BECAUSE they were actively socializing and gaming with the Outsiders when Dom, Jess, Maven, and Marlena weren't. As this season has born out those two were the biggest game threats in that alliance and the most likely to betray them or work with the "other side." But Cody was never able to verbalize that (and didn't try) and then he just ended up trying to make deals with the other side anyway.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

SweetJahasus posted:

(Not to mention all of the immunity bullshit that was rigged for him).
The only things rigged for Paul were how he came into the house with the friendship stuff (he was immune from the day 1 eviction) and the America's temptation, both of which happened right when he came to the house. What else are you claiming has been rigged for Paul?

quote:

Also, the Cody betrayal/etc is definitely a result of Paul being in the house, as I said. It may not have to do with the fact that Paul did anything to Cody, but were Paul not in the house then Cody wouldn't have betrayed his alliance, thus cleaving that rift in the house which resulted in like 6 weeks of drama.
I can't follow this. Paul was in Cody's alliance and actively working with him. Cody decided to go rogue and go after him, and then when Paul revealed his temptation, Cody immediately tried to backdoor someone else in his alliance. Paul had nothing to do with how bad both of these moves are, especially in week one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its reasonable to argue that Paul wasn't actually in Cody's alliance and Cody never gave Paul any implicit assurances nor any of his alliance members that he wouldn't put Paul up. He gave them no indication that he was thinking of putting up Paul (besides Jess and Mark vaguely) and never countered their assertions that Jason and Ramses were the natural options. But TECHNICALLY you could argue that Cody didn't directly betray or lie about Paul.

But he 100% backstabbed Christmas which is where all the Cody defenses die a comical death as he screamed about his word and honor and trust. And the further he got the more he (and Jess) became convinced that he didn't betray Christmas but it was HER who had betrayed THEM. Because Cody and Jess are narcissistic assholes.

Which is also why its hilarious that Cody and Jess are still running around doing interviews about how Alex and Jason are somehow the ones who truly betrayed them the most because they never "repaid" them for "all they'd done for them".

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah he may have been able to walk back the Paul thing if he just shrugged and put up Ramses or anyone else not in his alliance. But he made it extremely obvious he threw the veto that week to Alex which already made people uncomfortable and then followed up by putting Christmas on the spot. There is no reason for him to do that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I try and get into Cody's head I figure the problem he had was that when he decided he was putting up Paul he went and made side deals with Alex, Jason, and Ramses. So when Paul pulled out is Safety Pendant Cody ended up in a position where he had cut a deal with every person in the house (besides Kevin, but Kevin was considered a non-player at that stage) so he was going to have to betray someone.

Now Cody decided that was all the fault of BB for giving Paul the Pendant since if he didn't have that he wouldn't have had to betray one of his deals. But Cody ignores the part where he was betraying the Cool Kids by making those side deals and deceiving the Outsiders by acting like they had to make the deals to stay off the block. If he had never tried to make a deal with everyone in the house he wouldn't have been in a position where he had to betray a deal for his fifth nominee.

Cody needed to take ownership of that and do damage control. And choosing to betray Christmas over Jason/Ramses was dumb because he never considered the trust his other allies had with Christmas that they weren't willing to betray. But Cody did none of that and just blamed BB for giving Paul safety. And the BB fanbase has lots of people happy to follow that line of thinking.

And of course Cody never bothered to count votes and was taking it for granted that Paul would get voted out if he had gone up. Which seems highly unlikely.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 31, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To make this vaguely relevant to current house affairs Kevin is basically making a lower level of the same mistake Cody did. Instead of owning some of his scheming and lies he keeps insisting he's never done anything wrong and throwing more people under the bus. If he copped to the $25K and framing Ramses and the Cody stuff he'd probably find some allies in the idea that Alex is being overly nasty and he's being painted as an easy target. But since he keeps telling lies that everyone knows are lies and blaming others for things people know he did there's no trust to be won.

Like he just finally admitted to Jason that he has $25K, which Jason had already figured was true anyway. But just last night he told Josh that he thought he had it. Jason knows that. Jason will tell Josh this. And then Jason and Josh will both discuss how Kevin's a liar who is willing to setup Josh to take the fall for him.

Also from the sounds of it during the fish yesterday there was another fight between Kevin vs Matt/Alex.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 31, 2017

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

STAC Goat posted:

If I try and get into Cody's head I figure the problem he had was that when he decided he was putting up Paul he went and made side deals with Alex, Jason, and Ramses. So when Paul pulled out is Safety Pendant Cody ended up in a position where he had cut a deal with every person in the house (besides Kevin, but Kevin was considered a non-player at that stage) so he was going to have to betray someone.

Now Cody decided that was all the fault of BB for giving Paul the Pendant since if he didn't have that he wouldn't have had to betray one of his deals. But Cody ignores the part where he was betraying the Cool Kids by making those side deals and deceiving the Outsiders by acting like they had to make the deals to stay off the block. If he had never tried to make a deal with everyone in the house he wouldn't have been in a position where he had to betray a deal for his fifth nominee.

Cody needed to take ownership of that and do damage control. And choosing to betray Christmas over Jason/Ramses was dumb because he never considered the trust his other allies had with Christmas that they weren't willing to betray. But Cody did none of that and just blamed BB for giving Paul safety. And the BB fanbase has lots of people happy to follow that line of thinking.

And of course Cody never bothered to count votes and was taking it for granted that Paul would get voted out if he had gone up. Which seems highly unlikely.

So says you, STAC! So says you!

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Kevin can't own up to his bullshit because aside from talking to Cody and Jess (who he always got along with personally) it was all done in tandem with Paul and he sincerely thinks he has, like, a Renegades/Hitmen style F2 that supercedes anything else Paul might have going on in the game. So if he outs himself and the conversation goes wrong, maybe he implicates Paul (or someone puts 2 and 2 together) and he loses his protection.

Kevin would be an awful person to take to F2 though. I tried to plot out who's good and bad in the game for Paul, not quite sure though. Obviously Alex and Jason are worse together than separately but they're probably getting broken up next week.
code:

name           no comp threat        loyal      good goat
alex               O                   X            X? 
jason              O                   O            O
josh               X                   O?           O
raven              O?                  X            X
kevin              X                   X            O
xmas               X                   O?           X

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the rub is that being "loyal" is less important than being more loyal to Paul than whoever else is left in the game. Christmas and Josh are a bad pair for Paul to go deep with because they're more loyal to each other than to Paul, but if Paul can get one of them out without getting his hands dirty then he probably gets the other one.

Paul's ideal path is probably Matt this week, Jason next, Christmas/Josh next, and Alex after that. A F4 of Paul, Kevin, Raven, and Christmas/Josh leaves him with 3 potential jury goats, 3 weak(er) competitors, and 3 people theoretically more loyal to him than each other. Alex may be loyal to Paul but she's way too much of a threat to let get near the end. I'm not sure which of Josh/Christmas you'd want gone or want in. Christmas is a bigger comp threat because he has two legs but Christmas is probably a better jury threat since she's a good talker and is working on her jury management. Paul's undoing COULD be not understanding jury management and not seeing what Christmas is doing.

I keep comparing him to Vanessa and I think its the same deal. Vanessa wanted a F4 of Steve, Julia, and Austin because it would have given her that "every one is more loyal to me than each other" situation. But she couldn't get Liz out and Johnny Mac became a wildcard and it messed up her whole gameplan. That's the road Paul has to navigate here. One HOH week going to the wrong person could leave him stuck with a duo late that forces him to backstab someone badly or get kicked out at F4-3.

Re: Kevin, I don't think he's really seen himself as with Paul since at least Paul's second HOH. Most of Kevin's bitterness and side deals with Jody were basically born out of his frustration that Paul and Alex were boxing him out of all the game talk. Kevin definitely sees Jason as a more trusted ally and his problem is just that Jason's clear that Alex is his #1. I think he knows Paul is just stringing him along. He just isn't actively against him like he is with Alex because Paul's not being openly nasty to him like Alex is.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Thinking about it the pots and pans stuff is generally fine if you don't have an out and out psychopath and a mobbed up old man that did some hard jail time in the house.

Some of that crazy stuff doesn't work.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Used condom drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Paul may be an instigator but in doing so he has been able to make sure HoHs stay focused. In every season it feels like half the HoH weeks are wasted eliminating people who aren't threats. They will target X and Y, nominate them, but while hanging out in the HoH room someone blurts out that Z chews loudly, then they work backwards from there and create a narrative why Z should go home, and miss taking a shot at someone who was a danger to their game.

The one thing I found weird is that outside of Cody's cool kids, we haven't seen proper alliances form. Sure there was the house united against Jody, but we have had 5 ride-or-die pairs that formed early on, and as a result people don't compare notes as much, and once you are nominated you can't save yourself (by campaigning).

• Locked thread