Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

getting a vasectomy is super reasonable behavior for anyone who absolutely does not want kids. it's not like it's some ordeal, at worst it costs a thousand bucks without insurance and you have to take it easy for a weekend. it's way easier for a man to get sterilized than for a woman, you don't even need general anasthesia - topical is fine. like i dunno where you think the testicles are located but it turns out they're real easy to get to via surgery. it's easier to endure than nearly all dental work

I mean in a general sense it's a good idea, when your wife is infertile, on bc, and you've had a conversation about it then no you're really stretching for a way to blame the dude for this mess and just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean in a general sense it's a good idea, when your wife is infertile, on bc, and you've had a conversation about it then no you're really stretching for a way to blame the dude for this mess and just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

on the other hand if you're a man who says "i absolutely do not want kids" and you haven't gotten a vasectomy then you kinda want kids

like there's a real easy way to permanently and drastically reduce your chances of ever being a father, and it's not going hunting for an infertile sex buddy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

don't do it

don't make me agree with an arbitraryc post, you fucker

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

don't do it

don't make me agree with an arbitraryc post, you fucker

ain't no shame, I take pedantic arguments on all sides and semi regularly get pm's from people glad I'm willing to make an rear end out of myself over a very specific subpart of an argument. "I'm surprised I agree with ArbC" is a refrain even my most stringent of opposition find themselves saying from time to time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i never want my home to burn down with all of my posessions and leave me in a state of financial ruin, but do i really need homeowners insurance if i'm just really careful and vigilant?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Babys can grow up into men.

There is a lot of pioneering research to prevent this transition.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

i never want my home to burn down with all of my posessions and leave me in a state of financial ruin, but do i really need homeowners insurance if i'm just really careful and vigilant?

it'd be more like he already had insurance but you're advocating he goes to vegas and hedge a bet over his house burning down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

It's possible to feel some empathy for the dude regardless, but please, continue to double down on making him the bad guy for an extremely unlikely event out of his control happening to him. Just really show your rear end, go all out, buddy. :nallears:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It's important to remember, they've been together for eight years; he was 26 when he started his relationship with a woman who was, to his knowledge, completely infertile. Most doctors are pretty unwilling to do the procedure on men under 30, and when he hit 30, spending a thousand bucks on something that is completely needless as far as you know is a bit of a hard sell to a partner. It could also be argued that, if you're going out with an infertile woman and want to get a procedure like that, she might think you're trying to cheat. Really tangential and a little assumptive, but I could see an r/relationships post on it happening, so.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Throw all male babies off a cliff

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

boner confessor posted:

on the other hand if you're a man who says "i absolutely do not want kids" and you haven't gotten a vasectomy then you kinda want kids

like there's a real easy way to permanently and drastically reduce your chances of ever being a father, and it's not going hunting for an infertile sex buddy

I agree with this in that a person with a functional penis+testes who absolutely, without any doubt, doesn't want kids or to use constantly condoms should take some responsibility re: birth control. It shouldn't all be on one person's part to make sure there won't be a pregnancy, regardless of how fertile a person's uterus is.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Agreed. Only the strongest survive to breed more babbies to chuck off cliffs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

David Heinrich posted:

Sure, but it's pretty sad to have to choose between being an awful person or making your life significantly harder in a way you never wanted it to be. It's just a depressing situation where I can't really blame either person for their decisions in it, but I feel like it's going to end with a whole lot of anger, so treating it like a storybook ending or even a compromise when the woman is pretty clearly pushing a very unhappy guy into something he never wanted and is never going to want is odd.

Life's not loving fair dipshit. The world is going to do way worse things to you than this, all the time, and you have no recourse, because you're not actually important and your suffering is no one and no thing's priority but your own :monocle:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Congratulations, Ms. Haversham, youve given birth to a healthy baby robot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ride The Gravitron posted:

no you just give them a playstation and never say "no" and then they stay babies forever

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Life's not loving fair dipshit. The world is going to do way worse things to you than this, all the time, and you have no recourse, because you're not actually important and your suffering is no one and no thing's priority but your own :monocle:

Said the childless woman.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

no you just give them a playstation and never say "no" and then they stay babies forever

We've seen far too many stories in this thread for me to support this idea

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

this is too real

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Said the childless woman.

I would gladly have had children with Hugh even though they'd have had a 25% chance of being genetically turbofucked, a 50% chance of being genetically hosed, and a 25% chance of only being hosed up in the sense that their parents were pick and hugh

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

I never said life was fair or that the universe was somehow conspiring to gently caress this dude over, just that it sucks for him. Saying "Well, worse poo poo is probably gonna happen to you or someone else somewhere, at some point" doesn't really mitigate a lovely thing happening to a dude now.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I would gladly have had children with Hugh even though they'd have had a 25% chance of being genetically turbofucked, a 50% chance of being genetically hosed, and a 25% chance of only being hosed up in the sense that their parents were pick and hugh

Is this you?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

David Heinrich posted:

I never said life was fair or that the universe was somehow conspiring to gently caress this dude over, just that it sucks for him. Saying "Well, worse poo poo is probably gonna happen to you or someone else somewhere, at some point" doesn't really mitigate a lovely thing happening to a dude now.

what? Your mom died? Have you considered that some people lose both their parents you narcissistic prick.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

It's possible to feel some empathy for the dude regardless, but please, continue to double down on making him the bad guy for an extremely unlikely event out of his control happening to him. Just really show your rear end, go all out, buddy. :nallears:

Plus it sounds like she had acted like she would respect his desire for no kids.

Pretty lovely to play the semantics game ("I said I can't have kids, not that I don't want them)

Ironically if the roles were reversed we might be looking at a sex crime.

(Telling your partner you'll wear a condom then not or removing the condom is a crime in Nordic countries for example)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

maskenfreiheit posted:

(Telling your partner you'll wear a condom then not or removing the condom is a crime in Nordic countries for example)

Oh come on

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i imagine our child as a rat king of twisted bone, cursed with a conniving mind and cruel robot heart. we shall name him, "dick cheney"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah it should be a crime here too.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

i imagine our child as a rat king of twisted bone, cursed with a conniving mind and cruel robot heart. we shall name him, "dick cheney"

I'd watch this nut cracker

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

I just scrolled back, and it's been over a week since you've posted content in this thread. (But you've found time to tell multiple stories about yourself).

Shut the gently caress up about Hugh and post content, or don't post at all.

Mom owns a restaurant, began writing bad checks in my dad's name. Now she wants my Pell Grant money to pay it off? (self.legaladvice)

quote:

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female in Alabama.

First off, I am not an adult in Alabama until I am 19 years old, so the advice you can give may have to be a little different.

Anyways, on to the situation. My mom has owned a restaurant for 6 years. Recently, it's been doing poorly. My dad has been begging her to close it down and get a different job. Instead, to "save" her restaurant, she's been writing bad checks to food suppliers in order to keep it open. And these checks are in my dad's name. I have no idea how much they owe. I'm assuming around 1000$?

I got my very first real job two weeks ago and am also balancing college. (I have a full tuition + fees scholarship, and have an incoming Pell Grant that I want to use for books.) I was anticipating buying a backpack with my first paycheck but my mom said she needed it to pay the house payment. So I gave it ($180) to her.

Now that my Grant is coming in, my mom wants it too.

I don't know what to do. Am I selfish for hesitating to give this to her? Should I give something to her? Is there anything else I can do? Please help me. Thank you.

(Additionally, I wrote this very fast and it may be jumbled up or vague. If I need to clarify anything please ask.)

EDIT1: I am also extremely concerned about my younger sister (17) and what will happen to her if my parent(s) gets arrested.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

maskenfreiheit posted:

Plus it sounds like she had acted like she would respect his desire for no kids.

Pretty lovely to play the semantics game ("I said I can't have kids, not that I don't want them)

We're sort of on the same side in this argument, but I really don't think those things are equivalent.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

David Heinrich posted:

It's important to remember, they've been together for eight years; he was 26 when he started his relationship with a woman who was, to his knowledge, completely infertile. Most doctors are pretty unwilling to do the procedure on men under 30, and when he hit 30, spending a thousand bucks on something that is completely needless as far as you know is a bit of a hard sell to a partner. It could also be argued that, if you're going out with an infertile woman and want to get a procedure like that, she might think you're trying to cheat. Really tangential and a little assumptive, but I could see an r/relationships post on it happening, so.

it only cost me a $20 copay, turns out insurance is real glad to pay for stuff that prevents them from having to pay for children down the road. and getting a cavity filled is more painful and expensive than getting the snip

folks can call me a victim blamer if they want to, but that's stupid. any man who says they don't want kids but isn't snipped is lying to someone, most likely themselves, full stop. it's the single most effective thing you can do to reduce your chance of having kids without going celibate

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

David Heinrich posted:

We're sort of on the same side in this argument, but I really don't think those things are equivalent.

I'm not saying she raped him. I do think she had sex with him under false pretenses, and it's lovely for her to pressure him to support the kid (legally or just through emotional blackmail)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youd like to go to jail, give her the money.

Alternately, if you want the worst possible plan get married as age of majority for married people is 18 in Alabama.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

If youd like to go to jail, give her the money.

Alternately, if you want the worst possible plan get married as age of majority for married people is 18 in Alabama.

Do this to give us more fuel for our terrible, drama based fire.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm not saying she raped him. I do think she had sex with him under false pretenses, and it's lovely for her to pressure him to support the kid (legally or just through emotional blackmail)

How is it under false pretences if she was also under the impression that she was infertile?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

How is it under false pretences if she was also under the impression that she was infertile?

yeah this was a sexual ashcroft, an unknown unknown

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pick posted:

yeah this was a sexual ashcroft, an unknown unknown

This is not a Pick emptyquote

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Like I said, it's really not equivalent because she believed herself to be infertile. A better comparison would be a dude who thinks he can't have kids getting a girl pregnant and begging her to keep it. Which is depressing, really.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

David Heinrich posted:

Like I said, it's really not equivalent because she believed herself to be infertile. A better comparison would be a dude who thinks he can't have kids getting a girl pregnant and begging her to keep it. Which is depressing, really.

It is depressing, but it's also my very favorite David Cronenberg film.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

David Heinrich posted:

That did happen, sort of, when the mom wanted to give it up for adoption and not be involved and the guy turned around and sued her for child support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pick posted:

It is depressing, but it's also my very favorite David Cronenberg film.

I liked Videodrome a lot, mostly. I really wanted to like History of Violence, but I felt like it really petered out near the end. The start was good.