Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

a kitten posted:

Death Note everybody

My 5-year-old is really into Yo-Kai Watch at the moment, and for a second I thought Ryuk looked like Whisper there in the second panel. Now I'm loving the idea of the friendly helper ghost being secretly a death demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

He was also Jesus Christ, show some respect.

So that's why he made sure aunt may finished her prayers!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man do I love the first two Raimi Spider-man movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

It really was great. I haven't found his other stuff to be as engaging, though I haven't tried that Snot thing he's done yet. I should reread Scott Pilgrim.

Snotgirl is interesting because it's the first thing where he's not doing the art as well. Also, Lottie is basically the apotheosis of the BLOM protagonist, wherein she's a crappy person but without the basic endearing qualities that get you to look past that for the first few chapters like in Seconds or Scott Pilgrim.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Defenders, apparently.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Elf with a gun for villain of season 2 of Defenders please, Marvel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On a scale of Range Officer to Monkey, how dangerous is an elf with a gun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably about equal with monkey with a gun? They both kill a bunch of people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I looked up where the Elf with a Gun comes from.

quote:

The Elf with a Gun was an entity of unknown origin who used a variety of bizarre disguises to murder seemingly random people for no apparent reason over a period of several months. His path almost crossed that of the Defenders a few times, but they never actually met him or learned of his activities. He was first seen in a trailer park in California where he knocked on the door of Tom and Linda Pritchett and presumably killed them both. He next appeared in Las Vegas where he killed Charles and Frances Lester and then disguised as a Native American shaman, killing a couple named Sally and Stu, and finally killing an unnamed female protester in a bathroom. The Elf (whose name was posthumously revealed to be Melf) was eventually run over by a truck before his motives could be established. Later, his nephew Relf apparently carried on his mission.

A subsequent claim that the Elves with Guns were agents of the alien Tribunals and that Melf's murders were part of an elaborate scheme to restore the cosmic balance and stop a universal catastrophe was eventually revealed to be a hoax. As yet, the truth about the Elf with a Gun remains a mystery.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh my god, that's far better than i could have imagined.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Steve Gerber was a genius

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ahah if one of the cold opens in S2 of the Defenders was elf-gun crime and then never mentioned again in the series.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

a kitten posted:

Oh my god, that's far better than i could have imagined.

We were talking it over in the old "That Really Happened" thread, and apparently, Gerber himself did not intend for the "elf with a gun" sub-plot to go anywhere at all. He regarded it as a metaphor for the random cruelty of existence.

Later writers were the ones who tried to do something with it, but if Gerber had had his say, it just would've been a weird background event that went absolutely nowhere. There are just random elf gunmen running around. C'est la vie.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Wanderer posted:

We were talking it over in the old "That Really Happened" thread, and apparently, Gerber himself did not intend for the "elf with a gun" sub-plot to go anywhere at all. He regarded it as a metaphor for the random cruelty of existence.

Later writers were the ones who tried to do something with it, but if Gerber had had his say, it just would've been a weird background event that went absolutely nowhere. There are just random elf gunmen running around. C'est la vie.

Steve Gerber is a rad dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gerber's Defenders is some of the best comics ever written.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

That seriously remains one of the absolute best things ever.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Wanderer posted:

He regarded it as a metaphor for the random cruelty of existence.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Deadly Class #30. Helmut is a lot of fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Deadly Class #30. Helmut is a lot of fun.

Nick Spencer's writing personified.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Royals #4
(Context: Ronan is forcing everyone present to experience their greatest regrets.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are we laughing at the spelling of "jason" there?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I have no idea who any of those people (other than Ronan) are, so I'm guess I'm missing the necessary context for the humor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The first two are some of the new Inhumans created by Charles Soule and/or James Robinson so you don't need to worry about them. The last one is Maximus, the joke being that he doesn't give a poo poo about his dead parents yelling at him for being a monster.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

The first two are some of the new Inhumans created by Charles Soule and/or James Robinson so you don't need to worry about them. The last one is Maximus, the joke being that he doesn't give a poo poo about his dead parents yelling at him for being a monster.

Oh.

Ha ha?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the spelling of jason is funnier

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the spelling of jason is funnier

This is what I am saying

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

This is what I am saying

Isn't that also how Peter Quill's dad's name is spelled in the comics?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have a nephew-in-law named Jacen, apparently after a Star Wars character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that also how Peter Quill's dad's name is spelled in the comics?

No, you're thinking of a different dumb spelling, J'son.

Lobok posted:

This is the saddest thing I've read today and I did read Secret Empire.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lobok posted:

In high school I worked at a movie theater with this girl who had a kid with a real creepy dude who came into the theater to pick her up with a shirt that said "less talk, more suck" on it. He also "gave her the gift of anal sex" one Christmas, which she loved telling people about. Anyway, her and this dude had a kid and named her Amidala.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I started a derail about dumb names I'll nip this in the bud.

Secret Wars #7

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think that's too nerdy, and I'm named after a couple of physicists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

This is the saddest thing I've read today and I did read Secret Empire.

Khaleesi is a more popular baby name than Elizabeth, and since Khaleesi didn't become popular until after the Game of Thrones tv show instead of the book, that's not including people who spell it wrong. Any day now some poor kindergarten teacher is going to have 3 different girls named that with 3 different spellings.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

Khaleesi is a more popular baby name than Elizabeth

In what country, because it definitely isn't the US?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bruceski posted:

I think that's too nerdy, and I'm named after a couple of physicists.
That boy's name? Albert Einstein.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toshimo posted:

In what country, because it definitely isn't the US?

You're right, I was thinking of Betty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hold the idiotic name trump card. I have the customers who named their loving child LADY RAINICORN.

And they later had the kid taken away by CPS because they were feeding a loving newborn happy meals they ran through a blender.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

didnt a goon name their kid that?