Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Pycelle didn't have any long term goals besides banging hookers and trying to not to get killed during regime changes.

We are all Pycelle, when you really think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just want Pod to live. Not the greatest fighter but loyal as hell, the realms best lovemaker, and super goofy. That cut to his dopey grin when he's given to Brienne makes me laugh every time I watch it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

emanresu tnuocca posted:

One must also wonder wtf does Rhaegar's marriage even mean by this point, it changes nothing, the reveal comes at the point where the plot it was supposed to entangle is already resolved and creates no tension whatsoever.

Because GRRM is going to do it in the books that are never coming out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rhaegar's marriage makes Jon Snow a direct male-line descendent of Aerys II Targaryen and gives him a legitimate claim to the throne. His claim is even stronger than Daenerys' as claim is based first on patrilineal lineage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

grack posted:

Rhaegar's marriage makes Jon Snow a direct male-line descendent of Aerys II Targaryen and gives him a legitimate claim to the throne. His claim is even stronger than Daenerys' as claim is based first on patrilineal lineage.

which doesn't matter in any way shape or form unless he and dany go to war after cersei and NK are dead

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
In the world of GoT, Jon being a legit Targaryen and closely related to Daenerys makes it much more likely for them to end up together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey idiots. I found it. The perfect mix of pathos and humor. Something that transcends genre. Truly the parody we all deserve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=366_NM97ovo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

etalian posted:

Pycelle didn't have any long term goals besides banging hookers and trying to not to get killed during regime changes.

Which is why (at least for the duration the show comprises, we still have to see if Bronn makes it to old age) Bronn has succeeded where Pycelle failed.

Bronn is not trying anything stupid like becoming the lord of Planetos, he doesn't backstab the people that he works for nor tries to pull a Xanatos Gambit to further his social escalation.

He just does what he has to do to remain in the garden and is content with whatever bones get thrown his way.

Except the castle.

He does want a castle.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just want Pod to live. Not the greatest fighter but loyal as hell, the realms best lovemaker, and super goofy. That cut to his dopey grin when he's given to Brienne makes me laugh every time I watch it.

I really liked the scene where he refuses to testify against Tyrion, even knowing that his life might be at risk.

Season 4 was truly the pinnacle of this series.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 31, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hold the front door, are there really two people named Aegon Targaryen in the show or is that a holdover from the books

i mean isn't it possible that Jon is the only Aegon in the show?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

My only hope is that the Daario stuff has a payoff when Euron tries to go to Essos to hire people to come fight Dany. All that time in Essos lost, like tears in the rain.

I mean isn't Cersei's plan explicitly to hire the mercs that Daario is the leader of? Why else specifically hire that group if it's not going to end up with Daario giving Jon the stink-eye across the field of battle or whatever

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

hold the front door, are there really two people named Aegon Targaryen in the show or is that a holdover from the books

There's also a shitload of people named Walder Frey.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

precision posted:

I mean isn't Cersei's plan explicitly to hire the mercs that Daario is the leader of? Why else specifically hire that group if it's not going to end up with Daario giving Jon the stink-eye across the field of battle or whatever

Daario is the head of the Second Sons in the show I'm pretty sure. Golden Company hasn't appeared yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey idiots. I found it. The perfect mix of pathos and humor. Something that transcends genre. Truly the parody we all deserve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=366_NM97ovo

holy poo poo i love this so hard

it has like 1/10th the views of "tumblr retards overact for the camera while drinking lovely beer ironically"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

precision posted:

Daario is the leader of the Second Sons.....

Or so we are told. Like wtf I seriously cannot remember a single instance of the Second Sons ever fighting during the whole Mereen sidequest.

Hell, I don't even remember a scene where they pan to a specific group of people and say "This. This here are the Second Sons. This is the sellswords I pledge to your service Daenerys".

In the books I recall both the Unsullied and the Second Sons patrolling the Mereen streets together to keep the Harpy whatevers in line, but in the show it's just Daario leading the Unsullied.

...Did Daario just join Daenerys on his own? I cannot remember much about Mereen, which speaks a lot of the quality of the story in the place where the show lingered for 3 seasons.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

precision posted:

Maester Aemon mentions Aegon to Sam at The Wall right as Jon walks into the scene.

It rhymes. Like poetry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wallet Inspector posted:

Daario is the head of the Second Sons in the show I'm pretty sure. Golden Company hasn't appeared yet.

D'oh, you're right.

This show causes brain damage.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Second Sons' battles were off-screen. They captured Yunkai after Daario 1.0, Jorah and the Worm had their fight scene, fought at the Meereenese port when Dany took Meereen and they re-captured Yunkai between S4 and S5. And we saw harpies kill some Second Sons.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 31, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lycus posted:

The Second Sons' battles were off-screen. They captured Yunkai after Daario 1.0, Jorah and the Worm had their fight scene, fought at the Meereenese port when Dany took Meereen and they re-captured Yunkai between S4 and S5. And we saw harpies kill some Second Sons.

I will not rewatch that sideplot, so I'll take your word for it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
He's the head of a different, perhaps rival mercenary company. I have to think it's going to play into that particular plotline somehow. Unless all those seasons in Essos really were all for naught.

e: Did show Daario ever betray Dany at any point? I guess Euron could go over there and pick up both mercenary companies and use Daario to get to Dany somehow.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I made a much needed update to my art:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Bran owns and is a god tier troll

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So the Ironborn attacks the North while everybody is down south fighting but as soon as anyone is able to mobilize they get booted back out again. So, they're not really that powerful. How does Euron just go build the largest fleet in Westeros then? Why didn't Balon think of that?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I thought the s8 spoilers said euron goes to hire mercs and daario is in charge and says his price is tyrions head or something

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Unless all those seasons in Essos really were all for naught.

They probably will.

All those seasons in Essos happened because they happened in the book. Kinda like how Jorah got terminal fantasy cancer because his book composite counterpart got it.

But once the seasons moved outside of book land, no more terminal fantasy cancer! The reason why you got terminal fantasy cancer was so that you could later be cured from terminal fantasy cancer. Genius! :downs: or maybe they wanted to remove an additional paycheck from a couple of episodes. I don't know. like seriously, couldn't they have done anything better with this subplot? have Sam casually read the Rhaegar and Llyana passage to Jorah so that it would later fall into Jorah's hands to confirm that Jon, the man who stole his printer, is actually the rightful heir. Or have Jorah being sick cause him to be away from Daenerys at a time were she would need him, or have him arrive just at the right time. but no. His sickness doesn't get in his way of saving Daenerys from the Dothraki, and he arrives after Daenerys has just defeated the Lannister Army. Anything except what they ended up doing could have worked!

/rant

Anyways, if books ever happen they will hopefully have a purpose behind all those books in Essos.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 31, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lezard_valeth posted:

I really liked the scene where he refuses to testify against Tyrion, even knowing that his life might be at risk.

Season 4 was truly the pinnacle of this series.

Agreed with both, that was a touching scene and S4 is my favorite overall. I haven't put much thought into season rankings but it's probably 4, a mix of 1-3, 6, 5 then 7.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My inlaws have every season on blu-ray, I should rewatch the good seasons

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bates posted:

So the Ironborn attacks the North while everybody is down south fighting but as soon as anyone is able to mobilize they get booted back out again. So, they're not really that powerful. How does Euron just go build the largest fleet in Westeros then? Why didn't Balon think of that?

Maybe they cut down every tree, screwing them over in the long run but giving them a huge fleet in the short term.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe they cut down every tree, screwing them over in the long run but giving them a huge fleet in the short term.

Woodlands are fleeting, but fleets are.....wait,

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Bates posted:

Euron is a badass genius and Balon was an idiot, also he probably used connections he made when he was sailing the seas to Qarth and Asshai and Yi Ti to acquire more ships

Wait nvm he talks about building the ships in an episode, gently caress it

GobiasIndustries posted:

Agreed with both, that was a touching scene and S4 is my favorite overall. I haven't put much thought into season rankings but it's probably 4, a mix of 1-3, 6, 5 then 7.

5 over 7??? Goddamn

(otherwise i agree)

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 31, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ah like that's gonna slow down Euron

"Plant me the largest forest Westeros has ever seen!"

*3 months later*

"Nice forest lads."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ah like that's gonna slow down Euron

"Plant me the largest forest Westeros has ever seen!"
They Do Not Sow.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cornflakes posted:

5 over 7??? Goddamn

(otherwise i agree)

It's been a bit since I've seen 5 but it at least followed some book stuff and Hardhome was great, on the other hand, Dorne, killing Shireen, and a bunch of other stuff. 7 had episode 4 and some great moments but a ton of it was nonsense. It's a competition for sure.

4,1,3,2,6,5,7 I'm thinking.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

precision posted:

Only 1 is alive.
There is another "Aegon" from the books - knows as Young Griff, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell. He's with the Golden Company. So it depends on if the show wants to include him in that story arc.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's been a bit since I've seen 5 but it at least followed some book stuff and Hardhome was great, on the other hand, Dorne, killing Shireen, and a bunch of other stuff. 7 had episode 4 and some great moments but a ton of it was nonsense. It's a competition for sure.

4,1,3,2,6,5,7 I'm thinking.

The only legit ranking is clearly

1 - closest to the books and I'm not to much of a sucker for CGI overkill.
3 - Red Wedding, Jaime and Brienne
4 - The introduction of Olly as the murder of Ygritte makes it the worst of the top 3 seasons - without Olly it would have probably been 2nd
2 - Qarth is really bad, other than that it's a good season
7 - It's bad but has some nice CGI
6 - Hold the door keeps it out of last place.
5 - You want good writing bad need the bad acting.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

The only legit ranking is clearly

1 - closest to the books and I'm not to much of a sucker for CGI overkill.
3 - Red Wedding, Jaime and Brienne
4 - The introduction of Olly as the murder of Ygritte makes it the worst of the top 3 seasons - without Olly it would have probably been 2nd
2 - Qarth is really bad, other than that it's a good season
7 - It's bad but has some nice CGI
6 - Hold the door keeps it out of last place.
5 - You want good writing bad need the bad acting.

But in any case 1-4 are way better than 5-7, order doesn't matter a ton beyond that chasm.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

look I'm sure little bitty viking longships don't take much time or wood to build

hurriedly throws tablecloth over euron's whole fleet seemingly being bigass cog-type things

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Wallet Inspector posted:

Calling it now: D&D will conveniently forget/ignore this and make Daario the commander of Cerseis new mercenary army, who immediately will switch sides and fight for Dany the moment they land in Westeros.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I have one hell of a spergy nitpick, it can also be easily handwaved away but:

When Dany says to Jon "A dragon is not a slave" she repeats the same phrase she says to Kraznis in Astapor, and she speaks with all the pathos of this being some common valyrian phrase but of course she speaks it in the "bastard valyrian of Slaver's Bay" instead of in high valyrian.

otoh it's very possible Dany is just reminiscing about her greatest kick rear end moment or whatever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

oh cool it shoots Godzilla breath

GoTzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I have one hell of a spergy nitpick, it can also be easily handwaved away but:

When Dany says to Jon "A dragon is not a slave" she repeats the same phrase she says to Kraznis in Astapor, and she speaks with all the pathos of this being some common valyrian phrase but of course she speaks it in the "bastard valyrian of Slaver's Bay" instead of in high valyrian.

otoh it's very possible Dany is just reminiscing about her greatest kick rear end moment or whatever.

Dany absolutely has her head so far up her own rear end it's a wonder she doesn't quote herself more often.

• Locked thread