Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, I have a piece of pumice I picked up on the railroad tracks once that i use for the same purpose. Works like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just use dish soap and the brillo side of my normal sponge :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

theres a will theres moe posted:

I used fast orange (mechanic's liquid hand cleaner with pumice) to clean some cast iron pans tonight and it worked markedly well. Might make it my normal cast iron cleaner.

Mind, it's got citrus oils in it that can dent your seasoning. Smells great though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

I used fast orange (mechanic's liquid hand cleaner with pumice) to clean some cast iron pans tonight and it worked markedly well. Might make it my normal cast iron cleaner.

Interesting. My grandpa always used Go Jo with pumice in his shop. Wonder how that would work.

edit: gently caress it, just ordered some. I'll give it a shot. And honestly I just want to smell it again, take me back to taking apart engines in his garage for him to rebuild. Grandpa was a good man.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 28, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Olive oil & rosemary ice cream very good. Up there with habanero & strawberry.

Any other recommendations?

Strawberry wasabi (real wasabi).

lemongrass, tamarind, galangal.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mind, it's got citrus oils in it that can dent your seasoning. Smells great though.

I will have to keep an eye out for that, I guess. I wipe it out pretty thoroughly because I don't know what else is in that stuff that I might not want to eat or bake-in, and then I dry it with a fresh thin glaze of oil. Hopefully it doesn't wreck my pans over the long run, but a single application worked great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Interesting. My grandpa always used Go Jo with pumice in his shop. Wonder how that would work.

edit: gently caress it, just ordered some. I'll give it a shot. And honestly I just want to smell it again, take me back to taking apart engines in his garage for him to rebuild. Grandpa was a good man.

I assume GoJo would work the same. And yeah the smell is pretty good. Smells like getting stuff done.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 28, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have set myself a cooking challenge for this weekend - I am going to make queso fundido using angry lady sauce instead of chorizo. I don't think it's actually going to be hard but I'm really looking forward to it. MMmmmmmmm.....

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have set myself a cooking challenge for this weekend - I am going to make queso fundido using angry lady sauce instead of chorizo. I don't think it's actually going to be hard but I'm really looking forward to it. MMmmmmmmm.....
I find myself making this more frequently than the `traditional' form of the dish (which isn't particularly traditional) just because I've pretty much always got some cheese that'll work and some angry lady or sambal or whatever. And chesse + chili sauce usually ends up being a better consistency for a condiment/dressing sauce.

But I also `cheat' and use sodium citrate, so it's possible I lack proper commitment to the `traditional' approach.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is that some kind of sandwich?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

^^^
More of a wrap.

SubG posted:

I find myself making this more frequently than the `traditional' form of the dish (which isn't particularly traditional) just because I've pretty much always got some cheese that'll work and some angry lady or sambal or whatever. And chesse + chili sauce usually ends up being a better consistency for a condiment/dressing sauce.

But I also `cheat' and use sodium citrate, so it's possible I lack proper commitment to the `traditional' approach.

Oh I'm totally using citrate. Infinitely more dippable.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I got the entire command staff one of the
ships here at fleet week drunk as gently caress. If the captain acts ridiculous on camera tomorrow at 6am you can thank me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

this is a dumb question that probably is known to everyone on the face of the planet except me

how the gently caress do you make the american-as-hell "queso" cheese dip that is on the menu at every lovely mexican place ever around the country? the one that's so thin it barely qualifies as a cheese dip - really it's more like a milk and cheese dip or whatever?

you can buy the tubs of it in any grocery store, but every time I've tried to take like queso quesadilla, grate it, and follow a recipe (usually something along the lines of a weird rear end fondue - which I can make successful fondue with my eyes closed) - it siezes up, or never melts, or just turns into a cheese blob in a sea of milk, or whatever the gently caress. I can't make the homogeneous dip for the life of me, much less adding meat or chorizo or whatever to it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

this is a dumb question that probably is known to everyone on the face of the planet except me

how the gently caress do you make the american-as-hell "queso" cheese dip that is on the menu at every lovely mexican place ever around the country? the one that's so thin it barely qualifies as a cheese dip - really it's more like a milk and cheese dip or whatever?

you can buy the tubs of it in any grocery store, but every time I've tried to take like queso quesadilla, grate it, and follow a recipe (usually something along the lines of a weird rear end fondue - which I can make successful fondue with my eyes closed) - it siezes up, or never melts, or just turns into a cheese blob in a sea of milk, or whatever the gently caress. I can't make the homogeneous dip for the life of me, much less adding meat or chorizo or whatever to it.

You gotta use velveeta cheese and cans of rotel (diced tomato and green chili). It'll end up watery if you don't drain the can liquid beforehand, or add in another can of something like chopped green chilis as well. I've seen a million white trash queso preparations and they all start with the velveeta and rotel.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Works posted:

You gotta use velveeta cheese and cans of rotel (diced tomato and green chili). It'll end up watery if you don't drain the can liquid beforehand, or add in another can of something like chopped green chilis as well. I've seen a million white trash queso preparations and they all start with the velveeta and rotel.

no but I want the white cheese dip that is ostensibly queso quesadilla of some variety, with some thinner, and jalapenos

lol velveeta is so gross :(

I hope you aren't telling me all queso dip is like basically white velveeta :/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

no but I want the white cheese dip that is ostensibly queso quesadilla of some variety, with some thinner, and jalapenos

Ah, for that stuff probably just a somewhat lovely bechamel with just enough cheese in it so that you know there's some there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Works posted:

Ah, for that stuff probably just a somewhat lovely bechamel with just enough cheese in it so that you know there's some there.

cool, that works

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

Cheddar + citrate + salsa (or whatever), then add milk/cream until it's as thin as you want it.

If you're not after the authentic bolillo blandness you can also thin it out by just adding more of the salsa or whatever, most have a lot of vinegar and will thin poo poo out in a hurry.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

cool, that works

I asked a buddy who worked at Mi Casa up in Woodstock and he says it's deli american cheese + cream + diced jalapenos. I'd say the sodium citrate would add insurance. Hell I need to use this big bag I have anyway, might do that this weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American cheese will have a ton of citrate in it already (or an analogue). I'll be watching football on Saturday, maybe I will try that.

My go to queso is a little beer +citrate brought to simmer, whisk in cheddar cheese, then add cooked sausage (or ground beef, blah), and a can or rotel. Add a little paprika and cumin and season to taste.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It's so simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxhI4I5kq8

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bleh, 2nd rental in a row now where we've been nice and settled and then the landlord calls and wants to sell our house. On the one hand, it's kind of nice, my commute is an hour right now and it'd be great to cut that down. OTOH, we haven't really been all that frugal since I got an adultjob so we don't really have much of a downpayment saved. Two landlords wanting to sell is leaving a really bad taste and we kinda just want to buy this time. Esp because both of us are in more long term positions. So now I guess we have to figure out where between Pomona and Loma Linda is a nice area to live that isn't going to be crimeland (San Bernardino, Colton, Fontana) and isn't going to be a ton of money (Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont, Chino Hills).

sigh tldr adulting is giving me anxiety

current landlord did say she would be willing to sell to us, but our current house has had so many plumbing problems and gently caress my current commute

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

bleh, 2nd rental in a row now where we've been nice and settled and then the landlord calls and wants to sell our house. On the one hand, it's kind of nice, my commute is an hour right now and it'd be great to cut that down. OTOH, we haven't really been all that frugal since I got an adultjob so we don't really have much of a downpayment saved. Two landlords wanting to sell is leaving a really bad taste and we kinda just want to buy this time. Esp because both of us are in more long term positions. So now I guess we have to figure out where between Pomona and Loma Linda is a nice area to live that isn't going to be crimeland (San Bernardino, Colton, Fontana) and isn't going to be a ton of money (Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont, Chino Hills).

sigh tldr adulting is giving me anxiety

current landlord did say she would be willing to sell to us, but our current house has had so many plumbing problems and gently caress my current commute

Corona?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

it's an option, that commute would suck for the wife (Loma Linda) though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

If the commutes going to suck go ahead and move to the South Bay where the weather is nice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ew

I don't know anything about unflavored, unsweetened yogurt, I don't even know what it's generally used for, but a soggy, greasy, tall multi-egg sandwich that drips sauces everywhere just does not sound good, especially with sauerkraut (tho that's more because I just don't like sauerkraut).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

FirstAidKite posted:

Ew

I don't know anything about unflavored, unsweetened yogurt, I don't even know what it's generally used for, but a soggy, greasy, tall multi-egg sandwich that drips sauces everywhere just does not sound good, especially with sauerkraut (tho that's more because I just don't like sauerkraut).

Just regular plain yogurt is good.

That sandwich on the other hand is not good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pomona has some nice areas, I think I'd recommend moving there. Then at least one of you has a sweet commute. Other options...Ontario? Fontana?

If you lived in Corona you'd be closer to me though :D

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just regular plain yogurt is good.

That sandwich on the other hand is not good.

It could be good if you used a nice sweet sausage in an egg white omelette, nixed the yoghurt, and used a nice light and fresh coleslaw instead of sauerkraut. But then it wouldn't be the same terrible sandwich.

bartolimu posted:

Italian sausage - at least in New York Italian delis - is classed as either hot or sweet. Hot contains some form of capsicum, while sweet is mostly spiced with fennel.

What they said.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Suspect Bucket posted:

sweet sausage

:confused:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Italian sausage - at least in New York Italian delis - is classed as either hot or sweet. Hot contains some form of capsicum, while sweet is mostly spiced with fennel.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm just full of dumb questions recently.

going on a couple beach trips, cooking for a large number of people. I really want to do a lobster or prawn or something giant fuckoff grill. I have trouble with both though, I either overcook them, undercook them, the shells stick to the meat, they're underseasoned, they end up grainy textured (??) - I just haven't mastered shellfish cookery on a grill clearly.

any tips?

I'm thinking for lobster or large prawns, split open the shells, soak in a saltwater brine for at least 15-30 minutes as a starting place, to cover seasoning. then just hopefully they won't overcook or be as sticky because of all the moisture - slather with a preprepared garlic/butter/msg/parsley mix to finish?

idk, but really want to knock it out of the park.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've read a lot about including baking soda in the brine, which helps the texture. I've never tried it myself but it might be something to consider.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

The Midniter posted:

I've read a lot about including baking soda in the brine, which helps the texture. I've never tried it myself but it might be something to consider.

I do it with shrimp, it makes a big difference.

This is counterintuitive since it's grilling but make sure your heat isn't too high, I've found that's what normally fucks my lobster. But other than that grilling shellfish is just kinda dicey wth how little time you have to pull it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

I'm just full of dumb questions recently.

going on a couple beach trips, cooking for a large number of people. I really want to do a lobster or prawn or something giant fuckoff grill. I have trouble with both though, I either overcook them, undercook them, the shells stick to the meat, they're underseasoned, they end up grainy textured (??) - I just haven't mastered shellfish cookery on a grill clearly.

any tips?

I'm thinking for lobster or large prawns, split open the shells, soak in a saltwater brine for at least 15-30 minutes as a starting place, to cover seasoning. then just hopefully they won't overcook or be as sticky because of all the moisture - slather with a preprepared garlic/butter/msg/parsley mix to finish?

idk, but really want to knock it out of the park.

Just don't gently caress it up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jay Carney posted:

make sure your heat isn't too high

This is very good advice for grilling in general, the biggest error people make is poor temperature management

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Murder-grilled my steaks :doh:

Put down 3-4 soaked mesquite chunks, threw steaks on the grill at 500, chunks ignited on high while the grill was closed, mini-campfire in the smokebox pushed the temp to over 800 degrees in under 5 minutes.

:welldone:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Ooh, definitely going to try this.

My sister's coming to town, she's stuck up in the mountains most of the time but loves the fresh seafood, so I wanted to do a crab boil to celebrate her brief return to the swamps. Not a huge one, just for 4 people, a dozen blue crabs, two pounds of shrimp, some snow crab clusters (not local, but sister's favorite) sausage and potatoes, and maaaybbe an egg or two. Definitely going to try the salt water and baking soda for the shrimps.

I'm thinking a smashed clove of garlic and two bay leaves, a tin of Old Bay, a lemon, in the pot. Throw in the medium red/new potatoes while the water's cold, cook 15-20 minutes as it comes to a decent boil, knock the heat down, then add sausage, then a few minutes later the cleaned crabs, deheaded deveined shrimp, and snow crab. All the time kept at a simmer. I'm just wondering if I have the order right, and what kind of times i'll be looking at. Are the brined and soda'd shrimp or the cleaned crabs going to take longer? I'll be buying the crabs live and cleaning them myself (shucking the top shell, bib and lungs out, try to leave a bit of tomalley for the stock) right before I put the pot on. All I'm sure about is that the snow crab will go dead last and cook maybe 3 minutes to heat through, that's already cooked and I don't want to make it all tough.

The eggs I might do by putting them in the boil with the potatoes in their own strainer, do them from cold water and boil for 3 minutes, then shell and throw them back in with the snow crab to get some color and flavor. I'm gonna do maaaybe 4 eggs.

I want to do this as well as possible, because i'm getting the crabs and shrimp fresh from Mayport, which is the best shrimp in probably the world and the source of my avatar (go shramps grats on getting into the playoffs)

Also, can anything fun be done with the leftover crab broth besides make another batch of potatoes for work lunches?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 1, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ooh, definitely going to try this.

Don't do what I did and try to first put the shrimp in a baking soda brine and then second pour lemon all over them, unless you want to recapture a childhood volcano experiment.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ulmont posted:

Don't do what I did and try to first put the shrimp in a baking soda brine and then second pour lemon all over them, unless you want to recapture a childhood volcano experiment.

Don't stomp all over my modern gastronomy ideals. I'll never submit a dish to noma now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So I erred on the side of undercooked and did crabs for 4 minutes, shrimp and (precooked, half frozen) legs for 3, and the potatoes and eggs did not materialize due to miscommunication. Everything turned out perfectly! Here's a bit less then half of it presented in the fancy eating bowl.