Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

So I found this a while back: https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Music-Vanadiel/dp/B000A3H71M/

So far nothing I've heard in FFXIV even comes close to their rendition of the Jeuno theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUv7AzlvByU

The Christmas event version always stood out to me, as well as the summer festival theme with the shamisen. Way better than Papaya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've run into a glut of dps in ldr just...barely dpsing, at all. yesterday i had a lancer (who was new) who would run into packs and just spam heavy thrust.

today, i had two dps who would stand still for like 2 minutes after each pull while also criticizing each other for taking so long to get to the pulls. i don't really care because i was on drk and my aoe was going to be way better than theirs, but it was still super bizarre.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the governor of kugane is mentioned a few times but never seen and he wasn't at home when the ninja attacked the palace

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

So I found this a while back: https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Music-Vanadiel/dp/B000A3H71M/

So far nothing I've heard in FFXIV even comes close to their rendition of the Jeuno theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUv7AzlvByU

If tarutaru are onions and lalafell are potatoes, will the smol race in XVII be roasts?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

If tarutaru are onions and lalafell are potatoes, will the smol race in XVII be roasts?

It'd be so nice if FFXVII didn't have a small race.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good luck selling your MMO without a meme race

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The meme race is catgirls.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Catgirls are the "PermaNEET" race

Femroe = Patrician
Mroe, MElezen, Hyur = Boring people
FElezen = Contrarians, dream of being NEET
Catte = NEETs for life
Dragon Boy = 12 year old edgelord
Dragon girl = Contrarian NEETs
Lala = Memers

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 31, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Have we met the person in charge of Kugane? It's separate from Doma so...

Kugane isn't a city-state like the ones in Eorzea, it's just the only city in the country of Hingashi where foreigners are allowed to visit and trade. All we know about the government of Hingashi is that it's a military government called the Bakufu, which took power after a long and bloody period of civil war. It's basically 1:1 analogous with Edo period Japan, so they probably have a figurehead emperor and a shogun as the de facto leader. Hopefully this will get fleshed out in later patches.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's also a major plot point in the SAM storyline that the bakufu is corrupt as gently caress and everyone hates it, but most people go along with it anyway because it beats the hell out of another massive horrific war

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"I'm not ready to have sex right now but I'd like to see you again"

I don't have time to waste waiting several more dates to have sex, better ghost this bitch and start from zero

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't have time to waste waiting several more dates to have sex, better ghost this bitch and start from zero

ok?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

:thunk:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Haha yeah I remember when Tataru said that too

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

:same:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bet she's not even a catgirl

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

it's also a major plot point in the SAM storyline that the bakufu is corrupt as gently caress and everyone hates it, but most people go along with it anyway because it beats the hell out of another massive horrific war

I didn't really like the 60-70 SAM questline because, frankly, Ugetsu did nothing wrong.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2017

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Verranicus posted:

It's probably because I associate it with growing up, but I still think XI had a better and catchier soundtrack than XIV. Not to say XIV's is bad by any means, but the zone and town (and even PlayOnline) music from XI is stuff I'll still find myself humming occasionally while with XIV I really only love a few of the trial or dungeon themes.

it's been like ten years and my body still reacts when I hear the Vana'diel March and this probably explains a lot about my extremely broken brain

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Augus posted:

Namazu'd again.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

now I'm all nostalgic for the ffxi soundtrack again, as happens every six months or so

ffxi's (only?) vocal track at the end of COP pales in comparison to the glory of soken though

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Augus posted:

Hyurs with fox ears ruin everything.

I like the Sam 50-60 quests because when a roe dude walks out holding his katana in the reverse grip idle pose that all dude roes and dude au ra use your wise master insults the guy for holding his weapon in such an undignified way. Potentially while the WoL is standing there with exactly the same pose if the player choose a sub optimal, non-catgirl race.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So Pre-26 as a Lancer do I just keep up the Heavy Thrust buff and spam impulse drive? Or do I True/Vorpal while maintaining the buff?

It probably doesn't matter for poo poo but it's bugging me

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bolow posted:

So Pre-26 as a Lancer do I just keep up the Heavy Thrust buff and spam impulse drive? Or do I True/Vorpal while maintaining the buff?

The latter is both stronger and mildly less soul destroying so do it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mister Olympus posted:

Carrots, ostensibly.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm also kind of confused on telegraphs. If I get out before the telegraph disappears do I avoid the damage, or do I have to wait for the attack animation to play out as well?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

Don't even bother with Impulse Drive or its followup, Disembowel, until you get to 50 and get the third part of the combo, Chaos Thrust.

Bolow posted:

I'm also kind of confused on telegraphs. If I get out before the telegraph disappears do I avoid the damage, or do I have to wait for the attack animation to play out as well?

The former. The animations themselves won't hurt you and it looks badass to stand in them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bolow posted:

the former. the animation has nothing at all do with attacks registering, by and large.

e how dare you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

Just the telegraph. With extremely few exceptions, you'll be fine as long as you're clear of the telegraph even if you stand in the animation.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Bolow posted:

If you get out before the telegraph goes away you're fine to walk back into the animation. Most of the time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can think of exactly one dungeon boss that harms you if you walk back into the animation after the telegraph (the flame ship in keeper of the lake) so suffice it to say, when it happens, it's a boss gimmick

Note that eventually you fight bosses who do aoe effects without telegraphs but that's a separate thing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are plenty of other telegraphs that leave poo poo on the ground that you generally don't want to stand in. But as far as the initial attack goes, you're fine as long as you're outside of the lines when the cast bar resolves.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can think of exactly one dungeon boss that harms you if you walk back into the animation after the telegraph (the flame ship in keeper of the lake) so suffice it to say, when it happens, it's a boss gimmick

Note that eventually you fight bosses who do aoe effects without telegraphs but that's a separate thing

I was killing the cyclops boss in Central Coerthas with some other random people last night. Man, that thing just brutally mercs people with his 1000 tonze-swing that doesn't do the telegraph.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

They're all correct, but the most-correct answer is, "Are you out of the telegraph before the cast bar finishes?"

If yes, then you're safe. If not, you just got hit.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bolow posted:

I don't think you'll run into any for a while but gaze attacks (does damage or effect if player is facing caster) work a bit differently. To avoid gaze you have to be physically facing another way until the attack is cast. However if you turn around too soon such as immediately after castbar finishes, you will most likely get hit. To play it safe you should wait until the attack's damage value/dodge notification appears before turning back.

For regular AOE markers just run back in or use your gap closer ability as soon as the attack is cast. It feels boss as dps to get back in action while stuff explodes around you. :coal:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't even bother with Impulse Drive or its followup, Disembowel, until you get to 50 and get the third part of the combo, Chaos Thrust.

The former. The animations themselves won't hurt you and it looks badass to stand in them.

Disembowel is worth doing for the piercing debuff even at lower levels. You get it before you have any aoe so it helps while single targeting everything down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Good luck selling your MMO without a meme race

roegadyn are definitely the joke race lol

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Every race except catgirl is the joke race.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

I was killing the cyclops boss in Central Coerthas with some other random people last night. Man, that thing just brutally mercs people with his 1000 tonze-swing that doesn't do the telegraph.

Guess they haven't suffered enough aurum vale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like how the game reuses the general model of enemies like that. You can safely expect any cyclops or similar model to use the same one-handed and two-handed unmarked attacks.