Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Throw some yellow on that suit. Come on people, this poo poo ain't hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

That's the thing!

Unless they add color in post for some ungodly reason, IT SHOULD HAVE YELLOW

This was from the first loving movie. It's still pretty boring, but for the love of Christ

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Serf posted:

Seriously, and why would you want another character with red/black/blue motifs of all things in the MCU lineup. This seems redundant for no real reason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe the yellow had problems with compositing or something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wasps are disgusting creatures. No idea why someone would want to have that as their superhero name. Yuck.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

That's the thing!

This was from the first loving movie. It's still pretty boring, but for the love of Christ

I dunno, I kinda like it. Looks like a first attempt/prototype for updating the suit her mom used. Wish they would have stuck with this general design.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

I dunno, I kinda like it. Looks like a first attempt/prototype for updating the suit her mom used. Wish they would have stuck with this general design.

You're not wrong, that one is WAY better than the one they're showing off now.

I just

Why would you walk BACK on color from a suit like this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That send like a bit of a problem since he's immortal and she isn't

He's Reed Richards. His superpower isn't being a rubber-dude, it's being able to do Rick and Morty-level Crazy Science poo poo to suit literally any situation. If there is any reasonable chance of Sue dying of old age, they'll have Reed pull an immortality potion out of his rear end or make an AI backup of her or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He can't even turn a rock monster into a meat machine

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Wasps are disgusting creatures. No idea why someone would want to have that as their superhero name. Yuck.

Plus "wasps" is my least favorite word in the English language.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well, I do know that Ant Man 2 will be filming in the SF bay area for a couple weeks in September. One of my classmates is a PA on the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He probably could if Sue's life were in the balance.

I do like that every single version of Reed that isn't the main 616 Reed ends up a supervillain. Even the Ultimate Reed. My dream F4 movie has been a psychadellic Kirby inspired movie set in the 60s, but I'd settle for a movie with villain Reed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

this is Reed Richards being a dick, not Reed Richards being incapable

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is Reed Richards being a dick, not Reed Richards being incapable

"you just gotta accept who you are now!"

*stretches around the room doing all kinds of cool poo poo while making brand new technologies*

"my brother used to abuse me" *scratches rocky butt*

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like one of the biggest running themes of Marvel 616 is that Reed Richards is basically Rick, right up to and including being a giant dickbag who refuses to actually use his brain to help people and instead just feeds his ego constantly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like one of the biggest running themes of Marvel 616 is that Reed Richards is basically Rick, right up to and including being a giant dickbag who refuses to actually use his brain to help people and instead just feeds his ego constantly

I wouldn't say that.

Reed Richards is largely defined by being someone who wants to do the right thing but unfortunately has a skewed and somewhat arrogant view of what the right thing is. He constantly wants to help people but his view of what helps people tends to be esoteric, long-term, or focused on whatever specific problem currently interests him. He also is narrowminded in focusing on large problems over small personal problems until it bites him in the rear end. The Maker (the actual for-real supervillain verison of Reed) is someone who began focusing on large problems without ANY of the small problems taken into account.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
on the other hand, when Spider-Man asks him to treat a gunshot wound he's just like "lol nope"

e: then again that story kind of required a lot of characters to act like giant assholes for no reason

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

on the other hand, when Spider-Man asks him to treat a gunshot wound he's just like "lol nope"

e: then again that story kind of required a lot of characters to act like giant assholes for no reason

Doctor loving Doom couldn't fix a bullet wound.

ANGEL couldn't fix a bullet wound. Angel whose one useful power is 'giving blood transfusions that heal others and some times even bring them back from the dead' couldn't help.

No one could.

The best joke is what did fix the bullet wound. Peter pounding on Aunt May's chest with his bare hands. Thumbs up, great writing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a childhood Fantastic Four fan my take on Reed and the Fantastic Four is basically that the only thing keeping Reed from becoming a "greater good" villain like his ex buddy Doctor Doom is his family. If Sue, Ben, Johnny, and the kids aren't there to ground him and make him occasionally remember about people and ethical problems he'd easily go off the reservation. Doom's origin is basically that he's willing to risk anything and literally go to Hell to get his mother back and Reed's is that he'd probably do the same if he ever lost the people he loved. Maybe even be worse.

I don't know if that was the original plan with Reed when he was written as the guy who endangers the people who love and trust him the most by doing an unsafe thing because he's so sure he's smarter than everyone else and then being a dick about his name, but I think it definitely became the idea of Reed somewhere around the 3rd, 4th, or 10th time they introduced an alternate reality version of him that was a villain.

Or sometime around him becoming part of the Illuminati and shooting people into space.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 31, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Or sometime around him becoming part of the Illuminati and shooting people into space.

I love that in Marvel comics the Illuminati isn't lizard men. Just the biggest assholes in the Marvel Universe getting together to combine their rear end in a top hat powers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

UmOk posted:

I love that in Marvel comics the Illuminati isn't lizard men. Just the biggest assholes in the Marvel Universe getting together to combine their rear end in a top hat powers.

And then sometimes genocide lizard men. Probably.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had mostly stopped reading around the time that happened but when I did read that book it seemed like the most natural and proper thing in the world for Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Charles Xavier, Stephen Strange, and Namor to make a totally natural idea that "if we talked to each other we could probably do more good" and then quickly turn that into "we can just run the world from a secret council because we're the smartest dudes ever and never get anything wrong."

And I assume somewhere on Yancy Street Ben Grimm got heartburn for no apparent reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the modern idea of reed as a paternalistic dick who could've easily gone off his rocker if things had gone slightly different definitely seems inspired by him being originally portrayed as like, the 50s/60s dad who knows best and treats his wife like poo poo and no one cares that the more liberal parts of modern america look back on and go 'what the gently caress was that'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can buy that the take on Reed just kind of changed as societal views changed and his behavior seemed worse than it did at the time.

But like the way Reed and Doom are set up as foils for each other and the very origin story that says "they all say my space ship is unsafe but I know better so we're going to break in and take the trip anyway and we'll all be fi... AH THE BURNING!" I just find it hard to imagine that it wasn't there to begin with on some level.

Like the basic Fantastic Four origin story is "Reed thinks he knows better than everyone else and risks his family's lives and ends up turning his best friend into a monster." And then from the beginning "Ben harbors a lot of anger over Reed's recklessness costing him his humanity" is always there. So on some level everyone always knew Reed was a dick.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Charles Xavier, Stephen Strange, and Namor

The most "gently caress you, got mine" characters.

Is The Complete Works Of Fletcher Hanks worth buying? Like is it good to read or just a curiosity?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't forget Black Bolt, the guy from the pro-eugenics civilisation, is also an Illuminati member. After World War Hulk (I think), they also let Captain America join them begrudgingly because he's like that one liberal guy who's supposed to make your shadow overlord supergroup look less sinister.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

Is The Complete Works Of Fletcher Hanks worth buying? Like is it good to read or just a curiosity?

This is a kind of a difficult question to answer. I've read all his comics and have enjoyed them, immensely.

I don't know if I can truthfully describe most them as "good to read," although a handful certainly are. (Fantomah, mostly.)

They're as batshit as advertised, but they're all mostly batshit in the same manner. It's a little less shocking once you know his formula, and not all of his comics are equally imaginative or as extravagantly sadistic.

That said, even the lesser comics are strange, and as distorted as character's proportions can be, the art is none-the-less gorgeous and colorful.
(I own the two volume "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets!" and "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Invention," however. I can only assume the Complete Works is printed as vividly.)

If you've read any of his comics posted online, you probably have a good idea what they've got going on. Do you want to read another fifty-ish of them?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Don't forget Black Bolt, the guy from the pro-eugenics civilisation, is also an Illuminati member. After World War Hulk (I think), they also let Captain America join them begrudgingly because he's like that one liberal guy who's supposed to make your shadow overlord supergroup look less sinister.

cap was still dead around that time

you might've been thinking of t'challa, he was there at some point and i remember him being very 'what the hell is wrong with all of you'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

cap was still dead around that time

you might've been thinking of t'challa, he was there at some point and i remember him being very 'what the hell is wrong with all of you'

He was really disappointed because initially the idea of unelected dudes deciding they're in control of everything was right up his alley.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also time-travelling Leonardo Da Vinci causing a Hydra resurgence by having Nick Fury, Von Strucker and a bunch of other weirdos fight over alien artefacts.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think I read an X-men comic where Dr. Nemesis goes back in time to the moment of his birth and delivers himself. Did I imagine that?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UmOk posted:

I think I read an X-men comic where Dr. Nemesis goes back in time to the moment of his birth and delivers himself. Did I imagine that?

No. Why do you think he trained to become a doctor?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

No. Why do you think he trained to become a doctor?

cause 'mr nemesis' doesn't roll off the tongue as well?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Venture Bros version of Reed Richards was hilarious and not just because he was voiced by Steven Colbert, because he was only a degree or two away from the canon one. They also beat the last movie to the body horror F4 aspect. (Their Human Torch is in a medically induced coma because otherwise he's in constantly agony from being on fire, The Invisible Woman only has invisible skin, and it takes her active effort to make it visible, and the Thing is her mentally handicapped cousin. Who Jonas Venture Jr. does make an effort to take care of and even includes him in fighting supervillains! Actually, Jonas Jr comes off as a bit of a riff on Reed himself)

The extra funny part is that when you put him and Dr Doom in the same room half the time Doom comes off as the more polite and reasonable one, at least until you get between him and something he wants. Also that Doom is nearly as good at Reed at everything, except for magic, which Reed can't even get started on while Doom is considered to be only below Steven Strange.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

STAC Goat posted:

As a childhood Fantastic Four fan my take on Reed and the Fantastic Four is basically that the only thing keeping Reed from becoming a "greater good" villain like his ex buddy Doctor Doom is his family. If Sue, Ben, Johnny, and the kids aren't there to ground him and make him occasionally remember about people and ethical problems he'd easily go off the reservation. Doom's origin is basically that he's willing to risk anything and literally go to Hell to get his mother back and Reed's is that he'd probably do the same if he ever lost the people he loved. Maybe even be worse.

I don't know if that was the original plan with Reed when he was written as the guy who endangers the people who love and trust him the most by doing an unsafe thing because he's so sure he's smarter than everyone else and then being a dick about his name, but I think it definitely became the idea of Reed somewhere around the 3rd, 4th, or 10th time they introduced an alternate reality version of him that was a villain.

You'd love Hickman's run of FF then, hell Hickman's run on everything was pretty great in Marvel, shame they burned all the goodwill they built up Secret Wars with Civil War II and Secret Empire

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd love Hickman's run of FF then, hell Hickman's run on everything was pretty great in Marvel, shame they burned all the goodwill they built up Secret Wars with Civil War II and Secret Empire

That got me curious and I looked on Amazon and saw something called "Comixology" that sounds like a comic streaming service ala Netflix. Is there some kind of good, reasonably cheap comic streaming service like that if I just want to spend a month reading some random comics like I can just subscribe to HBO for a month? Marvel or DC offer such services or something? I stopped reading a decade ago when the cost of comics just became something I couldn't justify anymore and I never even thought about a modern affordable streaming possibility until this moment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

STAC Goat posted:

That got me curious and I looked on Amazon and saw something called "Comixology" that sounds like a comic streaming service ala Netflix. Is there some kind of good, reasonably cheap comic streaming service like that if I just want to spend a month reading some random comics like I can just subscribe to HBO for a month? Marvel or DC offer such services or something? I stopped reading a decade ago when the cost of comics just became something I couldn't justify anymore and I never even thought about a modern affordable streaming possibility until this moment.

Marvel Unlimited is a subscription service that will get you access to almost everything in Marvel's back catalogue (stuff gets added 6 months after it gets released).

There's no real equivalent for DC (supposedly because of rights issues).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Marvel Unlimited is a subscription service that will get you access to almost everything in Marvel's back catalogue (stuff gets added 6 months after it gets released).

There's no real equivalent for DC (supposedly because of rights issues).

Does that mean there's no DC option or just a bunch of broken up partial ones?

Like if I wanted to reread decades of Justice League or a specific book like Starman or a big event like Identity Crisis or something could I find an option individually for each or would I have to buy them individually on Kindle or something?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

STAC Goat posted:

Does that mean there's no DC option or just a bunch of broken up partial ones?

Like if I wanted to reread decades of Justice League or a specific book like Starman or a big event like Identity Crisis or something could I find an option individually for each or would I have to buy them individually on Kindle or something?

Marvel Unlimited is like Netflix: you pay a fee per month and get access to as much as you want, but you lose access when you unsubscribe. There's nothing like that for DC. If you wanted to go on a big binge it's incredibly economical.

Comixology lets you buy digital versions of comics (singles and trades) published by DC, Marvel, Image, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

That's the thing!

This was posted today, it looks like they are still using that one and the Kevlar thing is something else.

• Locked thread