Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JPManga/status/...genumber%3D1180

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Digiwizzard posted:

You aren't getting it, introducing labour saving devices that can do the work of multiple people is a process that's been ongoing since 1712. Like all economic processes, it suffers from the law of diminishing returns. All of the simplest and easiest to industrialise work is automated at the beginning, and then harder and more complex work which becomes more difficult and expensive to automate. Eventually, you reach the point we're at now, where it's cheaper to have overseas factories staffed by Chinese migrant workers then a domestic factory filled with expensive as gently caress robotic arms.

Like I'm sure some secretaries lost their jobs when rich assholes started using BlackBerries, but more secretaries had already lost their jobs when rich assholes started using Filofaxes. It's an ever diminishing chunk of people who are being made obsolete. The premise of automation is that this time it will be completely different, because now AIs will replace all the humans who operate the machines. It's not going to happen, because the resources required for that infrastructure don't exist.

No, the premise of automation is that labor-saving devices will reduce the number of people necessary to do basically every job, at least domestically, therefore crashing the economy as we know it. Sure, not all secretaries lost their jobs to Blackberries, but what happens to the ones that did? What job are they going to move to? They can't move to the office mailroom, since email killed that. They can't move to bookkeeping, since Excel and other computer programs cut the need for labor in that field and other related fields. Clerical work? Needless to say, that's been heavily computerized. And so on. Of course, that's a double whammy - not only is there no room for them in those shrinking fields, but that means there are plenty of unemployed people coming from those fields that are competing with them for the few jobs that remain. Eventually there just won't be enough jobs left for everyone in the US without deep and fundamental economic and social change.. I'm not talking about "robots replace literally everyone, leading to post-human economy", I'm talking "Great Recession levels of unemployment, except permanent and structural". That's more than enough to cause issues.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Eventually there just won't be enough jobs left for everyone in the US without deep and fundamental economic and social change..
I'm talking "Great Recession levels of unemployment, except permanent and structural". That's more than enough to cause issues.
We're already there. Anyone telling you the economy has recovered since 2008 is either misinformed or lying.

https://youtu.be/2qMUeZBCD5U

Wolff discusses how the unemployment rate is grossly misleading in here. People who have given up looking for work aren't counted, and that's a helluva lot of people now.

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 31, 2017

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Main Paineframe posted:

No, the premise of automation is that labor-saving devices will reduce the number of people necessary to do basically every job, at least domestically, therefore crashing the economy as we know it. Sure, not all secretaries lost their jobs to Blackberries, but what happens to the ones that did? What job are they going to move to? They can't move to the office mailroom, since email killed that. They can't move to bookkeeping, since Excel and other computer programs cut the need for labor in that field and other related fields. Clerical work? Needless to say, that's been heavily computerized. And so on. Of course, that's a double whammy - not only is there no room for them in those shrinking fields, but that means there are plenty of unemployed people coming from those fields that are competing with them for the few jobs that remain. Eventually there just won't be enough jobs left for everyone in the US without deep and fundamental economic and social change.. I'm not talking about "robots replace literally everyone, leading to post-human economy", I'm talking "Great Recession levels of unemployment, except permanent and structural". That's more than enough to cause issues.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to explain this. What you're describing is not a new phenomenon and the amount of people being made obsolete by productivity increases is something that's exponentially decreasing instead of increasing. In the case of the secretary, she will have to leave the company and find work elsewhere. Or she'll just be unemployed. It honestly makes zero difference because the amount of people employed in positions that are obsoleted by a guy getting a smartphone are already so redundant and marginal that it makes up a vanishingly tiny portion of the economy. While she's unemployed though, she'll add to the labour surplus which will continue to depress the cost of labour, which again means that humans are now so cheap that there's no point in buying machines to replace them.

If you're discarding the idea of Automation involving AI, then it just becomes a fear of the economy suddenly being destroyed by becoming Double Super Duper Industrialised, which is completely incoherent. You gave an example earlier of a McDonalds being reduced to a single employee operating a bunch of machines. It makes no sense, McDonalds is already a good example of someone taking a business model (a resturaunt where a skilled chef prepares food) and then stripping it down into an industrialised process where all the inputs are controlled and food is produced in an assembly line fashion. All of the McDonalds franchisees could go through the headache of designing, manufacturing, transporting and maintaining an expensive as gently caress rube goldberg machine that can produce a fillet-o-fish.. Or they could hire another teenager for $4.25 and train them how to make one in 10 minutes. In an economy where you have millions of people desperate to make a fillet-o-fish, there is no incentive to ever replace them with more machines.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Main Paineframe posted:

nah, if they were actually interested in automating the trucking industry, they'd be spending less time playing around with funny tiny cars and more time figuring out who's gonna assume legal liability when an automated truck w/ no driver runs over a toddler

for the foreseeable future, it's just a luxury gimmick for rich consumers

That system already exists. It's called insurance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

Eventually there just won't be enough jobs left for everyone in the US without deep and fundamental economic and social change.. I'm not talking about "robots replace literally everyone, leading to post-human economy", I'm talking "Great Recession levels of unemployment, except permanent and structural". That's more than enough to cause issues.
Please don't be so myopic. This is a global issue, not an American one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

strong and stable economy

Hey, NPR told me on the way home yesterday that the economy is the strongest it's been in years! Surely there is nothing wrong with using GDP as a measure of general economic health.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about y'all but I got the gently caress out of stocks in my IRA and 401(k) two months or so ago and I'm ready to buy at the bottom

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

wow Barack Obama really saved us from the economic disaster and totally didn't just kick the can 8 years down the road

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/903271348893614081

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

robots make the market more efficient. lmao

that's what someone in the high freq trading business told me anyway

I guess it is a more efficient way of upwardly redistributing capital

Basically the only benefit provided by high frequency trading (and any sort of proprietary trading in general) is extra market liquidity, and it's obviously not even remotely worth the downside of siphoning massive amounts of money from the rest of the country (since obviously there's always someone on the other side of every trade).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

call to action posted:

I don't know about y'all but I got the gently caress out of stocks in my IRA and 401(k) two months or so ago and I'm ready to buy at the bottom

well i guess i have some phone calls to make

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Digiwizzard posted:

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to explain this. What you're describing is not a new phenomenon and the amount of people being made obsolete by productivity increases is something that's exponentially decreasing instead of increasing. In the case of the secretary, she will have to leave the company and find work elsewhere. Or she'll just be unemployed. It honestly makes zero difference because the amount of people employed in positions that are obsoleted by a guy getting a smartphone are already so redundant and marginal that it makes up a vanishingly tiny portion of the economy. While she's unemployed though, she'll add to the labour surplus which will continue to depress the cost of labour, which again means that humans are now so cheap that there's no point in buying machines to replace them.

If you're discarding the idea of Automation involving AI, then it just becomes a fear of the economy suddenly being destroyed by becoming Double Super Duper Industrialised, which is completely incoherent. You gave an example earlier of a McDonalds being reduced to a single employee operating a bunch of machines. It makes no sense, McDonalds is already a good example of someone taking a business model (a resturaunt where a skilled chef prepares food) and then stripping it down into an industrialised process where all the inputs are controlled and food is produced in an assembly line fashion. All of the McDonalds franchisees could go through the headache of designing, manufacturing, transporting and maintaining an expensive as gently caress rube goldberg machine that can produce a fillet-o-fish.. Or they could hire another teenager for $4.25 and train them how to make one in 10 minutes. In an economy where you have millions of people desperate to make a fillet-o-fish, there is no incentive to ever replace them with more machines.

McDonalds is already investing in these kinds of machines

The costs of employing humans as opposed to machines is continuing to increase despite the best efforts of Gilded Age 2.0 robber barons. And the costs are beyond their hourly wage.

We are seeing major pushes for increases to the minimum wage that are succeeding in some areas, and is something that will continue to gain traction as people are crushed by the system.

benefits (health insurance costs), safety and training costs etc are also rising as people are demanding more and more from the limited jobs available in the service sector.

It seems to me like you are viewing the service industry through a lens that is several decades in the past. Many adults are working in these types of roles now as opposed to teenagers and again the costs are beyond 4.25 and growing because people's expectations for a decent life are now being connected to employment at these locations simply because they are all that is left.

This provides a substantial incentive for the ownership class to invest in further automation.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Just as a continuation

The Panera Bread near where I live normally has 4-6 people working as cashiers behind the counter.

Last week they installed 2 automated kiosks that fill the role of the cashiers. Almost no one went on line to the human cashier, unless they were paying in cash which was maybe 1-2 people in the total time I was in the store.

Why would they do this if there is such a large number of people in the labor pool not working ,who are eligible to work, and whose cost of employment (according to you) is not well beyond minimum wage. I think in NY they pay something close to 10$ an hour.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Digiwizzard posted:

The reason there are so few positions that could be obsoleted by a guy getting a smartphone is because the original iPhone is over 10 years old. Most of the positions that could be obsoleted by current smartphones have already been obsoleted. No, it's not a new phenomenon - and that's exactly the problem. Automation has been eliminating jobs for more than a hundred years - we're running out of fields for the structurally-unemployed to flee to. And while it may not matter to you whether those newly-unemployed find new (lower-wage) jobs or not, it certainly matters to them. You tell a nice tidy tale of human beings happily sitting around in the "unemployed" category until wages drop low enough to become employed again at positions that paid less than they made before...but the reality is more likely to involve some mixture of starvation, homelessness, riots, and other civil disorder. We don't need to automate away so many jobs that human employment literally doesn't exist anymore in order to destroy the economy as we know it, we just need to automate away enough jobs that a good chunk of the populace can't make a living wage anymore. And we're already getting dangerously close to that.

Thug Lessons posted:

That system already exists. It's called insurance.

So who pays for the insurance? The company that made the car? The company that made the software the car is running? The car owner?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

So who pays for the insurance? The company that made the car? The company that made the software the car is running? The car owner?

Common sense would say the vehicles' owners would pay their own insurance, just like it works today. Maybe the implications of automation would imply a different arrangement, but I doubt it. In any case it's not an insoluble or even particularly difficult issue and certainly not one that takes precedence of actually deploying the technology.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lactose Is Wack posted:

Just as a continuation

The Panera Bread near where I live normally has 4-6 people working as cashiers behind the counter.

Last week they installed 2 automated kiosks that fill the role of the cashiers. Almost no one went on line to the human cashier, unless they were paying in cash which was maybe 1-2 people in the total time I was in the store.

Why would they do this if there is such a large number of people in the labor pool not working ,who are eligible to work, and whose cost of employment (according to you) is not well beyond minimum wage. I think in NY they pay something close to 10$ an hour.

Because an iPad is cheaper than hiring a human even at $10/hr and people would rather interact with one vs. a person?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

Common sense would say the vehicles' owners would pay their own insurance, just like it works today. Maybe the implications of automation would imply a different arrangement, but I doubt it. In any case it's not an insoluble or even particularly difficult issue and certainly not one that takes precedence of actually deploying the technology.

Absolutely no one is going to put a vehicle on the road unless they're reasonably sure who is going to be held responsible if it hits someone (and thus who is required to pay for liability insurance). If an algorithm is driving a car (yes, I know this is simplistic to the point of being inaccurate, I don't care because this isn't the pedantry forum) and plows through a family crossing the street, who is legally responsible? The programmers who wrote the algorithm? The manufacturer that put that algorithm in the car? The person who was sitting in the car?

It's not something you can just handwave away, because no major manufacturer or commercial operator is going to put a fully autonomous vehicle on the roads until they understand where the legal liabilities lie. it's a major consideration for actual practical deployment

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If the laws are inconvenient for the deployment of automated driving, car manufactures & logistic companies will sinply change the laws - the benefits of cutting back on labor costs is too seductive for capitalists, it that comes at the expense of society then that's societies' problem, not theirs. Or do you still labor under the delusion that politicians aren't bought and paid for?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that roads used to give precedent to pedestrians, and the danger of automobiles mixing with pedestrians was seen as a massive barrier - to which the response was, as we see today, remodel entire cities for the benefit of cars, over pedestrians (read: rich people versus poor people).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

call to action posted:

you can't time the market noob

Also was lolling at article about how CDOs are making a big comeback

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/08/cdos-are-back/

quote:

The synthetic CDO, a villain of the global financial crisis, is back….In the U.S., the CDO market sunk steadily in the years after the financial crisis but has been fairly flat since 2014. In Europe, the total size of market is now rising again—up 5.6% annually in the first quarter of the year and 14.4% in the last quarter of 2016, according to the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

call to action posted:

Because an iPad is cheaper than hiring a human even at $10/hr and people would rather interact with one vs. a person?
I know \ agree. That's my point to dwizard

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It kinda sucks, I mean I love it because I'm an antisocial retard but maybe it feels eerie to normies?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

It kinda sucks, I mean I love it because I'm an antisocial retard but maybe it feels eerie to normies?
Wrong forum to ask about normies amigo

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Absolutely no one is going to put a vehicle on the road unless they're reasonably sure who is going to be held responsible if it hits someone (and thus who is required to pay for liability insurance). If an algorithm is driving a car (yes, I know this is simplistic to the point of being inaccurate, I don't care because this isn't the pedantry forum) and plows through a family crossing the street, who is legally responsible? The programmers who wrote the algorithm? The manufacturer that put that algorithm in the car? The person who was sitting in the car?

It's not something you can just handwave away, because no major manufacturer or commercial operator is going to put a fully autonomous vehicle on the roads until they understand where the legal liabilities lie. it's a major consideration for actual practical deployment

I have to say, "it is impossible incredibly difficult for lawyers to create insurance law for driverless cars" is certainly a novel criticism of the concept, one I have never heard before. However it is an idiotic criticism because of course they can loving do it, easily. You're confusinhg the difficult and ultimately insoluble philosophical question of "who is really responsible" with the practical and eminently solvable one of "who is legally responsible".

What going to happen practically is that companies operating driverless cars are going to just purchase insurance from existing car insurance companies, because right now the law is that vehicle owners have to purchase insurance on their vehicles. It's possible (but in my view very unlikely) that, when an accident inevitably happens, the courts will find that actually some other party is liable in full or in part, and award a judgment against them, at which point they will have to start purchasing insurance. But contrary to what you're saying this will have practically no effect on viability of the deployment of driverless vehicles.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

rudatron posted:

If the laws are inconvenient for the deployment of automated driving, car manufactures & logistic companies will sinply change the laws - the benefits of cutting back on labor costs is too seductive for capitalists, it that comes at the expense of society then that's societies' problem, not theirs. Or do you still labor under the delusion that politicians aren't bought and paid for?

Well yeah, exactly. "It's impossible for them to make laws that will allow this business to operate", he says, ignoring all of history where they allow every business to operate regardless of the consequences.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

I have to say, "it is impossible incredibly difficult for lawyers to create insurance law for driverless cars" is certainly a novel criticism of the concept, one I have never heard before. However it is an idiotic criticism because of course they can loving do it, easily. You're confusinhg the difficult and ultimately insoluble philosophical question of "who is really responsible" with the practical and eminently solvable one of "who is legally responsible".

What going to happen practically is that companies operating driverless cars are going to just purchase insurance from existing car insurance companies, because right now the law is that vehicle owners have to purchase insurance on their vehicles. It's possible (but in my view very unlikely) that, when an accident inevitably happens, the courts will find that actually some other party is liable in full or in part, and award a judgment against them, at which point they will have to start purchasing insurance. But contrary to what you're saying this will have practically no effect on viability of the deployment of driverless vehicles.

I didn't say it was incredibly difficult. I said that no one is bothering to do it, and that it's a pretty big indicator of how interested manufacturers actually are in mass-market autonomous vehicles.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I didn't say it was incredibly difficult. I said that no one is bothering to do it, and that it's a pretty big indicator of how interested manufacturers actually are in mass-market autonomous vehicles.

That's not really surprising at all because these things are decided in case law, not beforehand.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tp6Ubf6mE4

quote:

Amman explained that this video is from a "regular development ride," not a special ride done just for the video. It's sped up, but it includes all 22 minutes of the ride that Ammann took, in the back seat of this vehicle as the video was filming.

"Twenty-two minutes, fully autonomous, zero driver takeovers, zero driver intervention," Ammann said. "The whole ride was entirely controlled from the Cruise mobile app."

(from here)

this one's a bit slower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfgjemwc9NU

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 1, 2017

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Lactose Is Wack posted:

Just as a continuation

Two years ago, McDonalds decided to roll out Self Serve Kiosks to all of its restaurants here in Australia. What do you think happened?

Nothing. Nothing happened.

McDonalds still has the same amount of Cashiers working the registers as they did before. There was a brief two month period where people showed interest in the touch screens, and then they quickly reverted back to using the human cashiers who were quicker and more efficient. Now the touch screens mostly just linger in the background, wasting electricity with no hope of ever recouping their investment cost. But even if we put that aside and imagine that people loved the touch screens to the exclusion of human cashiers, it would make little difference because there aren't any McDonalds employees who work as dedicated cashiers. Cashiers are a temporary role everyone fills in during peak periods, and most of the time no cashier is required at all. In order for "automation" to make a meaningful impact on the economy then the entire infrastructure of a McDonalds would need to retrofitted in a way that humans are no longer required. It's not unfeasible, the technology has existed for over 40 years. There's no reason a Starbucks can't be a bank of upgraded Nescafe vending machines or a McDonalds can't be a fast food vending machine with a single employee there to restock the inputs, and such machines should be able to serve the public with higher quality food more reliably and efficiently than humans do. So why aren't fast food restaurants all structured like this? The answer is simple, it's more expensive than just using human workers, which is why nobody is bothering outside of PR Stunts that rely on human workers.

The issue isn't labour costs. Workers are paid a fraction of what they received in 1970, which was a time when benefits were considered an obligation instead of an optional burden that employers are obligated to worm their way out of. You could raise the minimum wage all the way up to $20 and Capital would still be making money hand over fist. The reason why resturaunts are installing touch screen kiosks isn't because they can't afford to hire a devastatingly expensive prole, but for the same reason they elect to spend billions on advertising, interior decor, or giant glowing signs. It's primarily for marketing, or perhaps to scare idiots into complacency because the Automation Revolution could be just around the corner!! In any case, it has nothing to do with the promised radical transformation of the economy that's supposed to render most of the population unemployed.

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason there are so few positions that could be obsoleted by a guy getting a smartphone is because the original iPhone is over 10 years old. Most of the positions that could be obsoleted by current smartphones have already been obsoleted. No, it's not a new phenomenon - and that's exactly the problem. Automation has been eliminating jobs for more than a hundred years - we're running out of fields for the structurally-unemployed to flee to. And while it may not matter to you whether those newly-unemployed find new (lower-wage) jobs or not, it certainly matters to them. You tell a nice tidy tale of human beings happily sitting around in the "unemployed" category until wages drop low enough to become employed again at positions that paid less than they made before...but the reality is more likely to involve some mixture of starvation, homelessness, riots, and other civil disorder. We don't need to automate away so many jobs that human employment literally doesn't exist anymore in order to destroy the economy as we know it, we just need to automate away enough jobs that a good chunk of the populace can't make a living wage anymore. And we're already getting dangerously close to that.

So to recap, "Automation" is just Capitalists learning One Weird Trick that they've been doing for two centuries now. But this time it's different because there's just not enough jobs left anymore. We've hit a critical amount of jobs and we can't afford to lose them!! They're all that's left keeping the economy going!!

Well no, Western Economies have shown they're more than happy to funnel the unemployed into bullshit jobs that perform no meaningful function. That's something that's also been ongoing since the 80s, when financialization overtook manufacturing as the primary driver of the economy. You don't actually need this many people working, and a significant plurality of people are employed in careers that actively make society worse (just consider people working in a debt collection agencies or the 1/6th of the US economy that Health Insurance represents). When you look at the trade deficits and consider how much the West consumes versus how much it actually produces, then logically the US and most other Western countries should already have breathtaking levels of structural unemployment, enough to destroy the economy several times over. It's only able to continue to shamble on it's zombified state of endless consumption thanks to a level of debt that is truly unimaginable. All of the starvation, homelessness, riots and other civil disorders are going to happen, they're just going to happen on their own when the economy contracts, no new infrastructure is required. The automation fantasy is that somehow the economy will still continue to chug along and be accessible to the rich during such a period of enormous misery and unrest. It won't.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pointing to one failed example of automation isn't a good counter example here - the issue is that the people buying the robots thought they could use it to cut staff. Even if they were wrong, in that one instance, it's still obvious that that is where the money is heading, that is where research is being made, because that is what capitalists want. Even if they use to transform skilled labor into more replaceable, less skilled labor, that's obviously a win, because it decreases the bargaining power of workers, and allows them to cut costs.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 1, 2017

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Other areas money is heading to: Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Uber, Theranos, Juicero, a million other startups that won't be worth a cent within the next 5 years. We've reached a new paradigm!!! This Time It's Different!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not 'different', it's just a new level of contradiction that's been reached, the continuation of a trend that's been going on for a while, but without any of the mitigating factors that existed previously.

Imagine the GIlded age, minus the mass transfer of wealth that the constituted the GI bill and New Deal, because such a thing is now politically impossible, because the soviets are dead and buried (so no new deal) and a world war is impossible (because MAD).

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Then add in total automation of long standing industries that provided livelihoods, without any replacements, because robots do it cheaper and there's no middle consumer class anymore anyway.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Then add in the incredible advancements in automated or near automated military technology, that allows the wholesale slaughter of thousands by maybe a couple of people aiming missiles from drones, or any of the other surveillance technologies that grant the ability of the elite to basically do whatever they want, whenever they want, without any real threat of repercussions.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
There's a very obvious and final mitigating factor, which is that there is a limit to growth. The economy can't expand infinitely on a finite planet.

Given infinite resources and energy I'm sure humanity would automate everything in existence. We don't live in a world with infinite resources and energy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Which the rich will promptly respond to, by liquidating the poor, so they don't have to share anything. Don't need infinite resources when you can just kill everyone else.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
What on earth would the point be? The rich only exist in relation to the economy that provides them with structural power. That economy doesen't exist without the enormous populations and resource consumption that allows it to function at this scale. They could spend our last energy resources committing massive genocide, and then live the rest of their days scrambling in an abject poverty on a ruined planet. Hooray?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
It should also be noted that the Rich would very rapidly lose any sort of power they hold in the event of economic collapse. If your main way of dealing with life's problems is to open your wallet then you will suddenly find yourself in a terrifying ordeal when dollars become worthless. You can "own" trillions in assets, but that ownership suddenly becomes meaningless without a functioning and well fed police force to enforce it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Look at how 'conservatives' describe the middle east and the people in it, of how easy they throw around idea of 'glassing' (read: nuclear genocide), because they see its inhabitants as undesirables.

Look at how the homeless are treated, constantly harassed, forced to wander a city, where park benches and public spaces are specifically designed to be hostile to them, physically abuse by kids with too much time on their hands (and sometimes just straight up murdered).

Look at how black people are treated, deprived both the safety of their person, discriminated in both education and hiring, and then moralized at by hypocritical racists (who have never known real suffering), about how their lot in life is proof of their inferiority.

Look at how migrant workers are treated, forced to find jobs across the border because the local agricultural industry is dead, becoming illegal just by existing, hated and demonized, and then discarded when they suffer work-impairing injuries (without pay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
In theory, a Capitalist could murder the Proletariat base that he extracts profit from, but its a lot like a cancer cell killing off it's host. After they're gone his options will be... limited.