Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
taichi should be hanging from a coatroom hook after a cooler wrestler gives him a powerful atomic wedgie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is Taichi a bad wrestler on purpose to get extra heat, because that's some pro heeling if so

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Giant Murderbaby posted:

He really is intensely hateable. Do any other wrestlers get a similar response to the "Taichi go home" chant? I imagine there are very few who do since Japanese audiences are so respectful.

Did the Bullet Club get any heat like that when they first started? I haven't gone back to watch Devitt!Bullet Club yet but I was listening to an interview with him where he was saying that NJPW had to set up a hotline for people complaining about their antics.

When Young Bucks first started crowds either didn't care, or hated them for being disrespectful and cheating so much. They're the only other guys I remember getting "Go Home" chants.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

KungFu Grip posted:

When Young Bucks first started crowds either didn't care, or hated them for being disrespectful and cheating so much. They're the only other guys I remember getting "Go Home" chants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Almost as great a call as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5uHdQARB-o

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Giant Murderbaby posted:

He really is intensely hateable. Do any other wrestlers get a similar response to the "Taichi go home" chant? I imagine there are very few who do since Japanese audiences are so respectful.

Another big reason Taichi gets so much heat: The typical Japanese celebrity response to getting caught cheating on your spouse is to bawl your eyes out at a press conference that ends with you bowing deeply until people stop taking photos of how apologetic you are.

Taichi's response was to announce his intention to retire, then go back on it and return from suspension with his heels dug even harder into his flashy sleezeball womanizer character. I don't know whether that predates "Taichi go home" or not, but it doesn't make people shout it any less.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I like Taichi.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Baron Corbyn posted:

I like Taichi.

I like him too but I like screaming obscenities at him even more.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Baron Corbyn posted:

I like Taichi.

i kinda like taichi too.

does njpw do untelevised house shows like wwe? or are the smaller capacity shows that always have a bunch of multi-man tag matches the equivalent of house shows there?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

i kinda like taichi too.

does njpw do untelevised house shows like wwe? or are the smaller capacity shows that always have a bunch of multi-man tag matches the equivalent of house shows there?

They do lots of spot shows, probably as many as a single WWE brand does in a given year.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Johnny Landmine posted:

Another big reason Taichi gets so much heat: The typical Japanese celebrity response to getting caught cheating on your spouse is to bawl your eyes out at a press conference that ends with you bowing deeply until people stop taking photos of how apologetic you are.

Taichi's response was to announce his intention to retire, then go back on it and return from suspension with his heels dug even harder into his flashy sleezeball womanizer character. I don't know whether that predates "Taichi go home" or not, but it doesn't make people shout it any less.

1. I'm glad that Japan still treats adultery as a big deal

2. This just reinforces my desire for a Taichi vs. Yano no-DQ IronMan match where Taichi takes 75 ball shots and can't walk for a week. And then he comes back and can only sing his entrance in a falsetto

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

shiksa posted:

i kinda like taichi too.

They have all the results for every show they put on on their website. It looks like they'll do about 6-7 Road to shows leading into the major shows and then only air the ones that happen in Korakuen Hall.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is there any place I can read a transcript of Naito's interview with NJPWWorld?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

http://thelionmarks.com/ these dudes will probably translate it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

buuuuuut you also get things like the AKB member shaving her head for the audacity of having a boyfriend, or the TV talent Becky being involved with a married singer and getting MUCH more of the heat than he ever did. Taichi's wasn't a big deal because he's not that famous but also because it wasn't another famous person involved (just a fan IIRC).

and the way to contextualize NJPW touring schedule is they have house shows and PPVs, but not a weekly TV show ala Raw or SmackDown. All of the story beats rotate around the bigger events, and promos/etc. stuff is all interviews and not in the ring.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Daryl

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

harperdc posted:

buuuuuut you also get things like the AKB member shaving her head for the audacity of having a boyfriend, or the TV talent Becky being involved with a married singer and getting MUCH more of the heat than he ever did. Taichi's wasn't a big deal because he's not that famous but also because it wasn't another famous person involved (just a fan IIRC).

and the way to contextualize NJPW touring schedule is they have house shows and PPVs, but not a weekly TV show ala Raw or SmackDown. All of the story beats rotate around the bigger events, and promos/etc. stuff is all interviews and not in the ring.

Or Endo from Cocorico's womanising being a joke to the point the most recent 24 batsu had a song and dance routine about how he was a terrible husband and his new marriage would fail as badly as his last one

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

:( well that's not good. I know Idol groups can't have relationships or else its a personal insult to all their totally-not-creepy male fans and it tanks their career(s) so yeah I guess I already knew the Japanese were weird about relationships. Did Honma get any flack for allegedly beating his wife? It'd be weird for Taichi to get heat for cheating but Tonma to just go "She doesn't know how to take a bump" and cue a laugh track

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress This

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

dromal phrenia posted:

:( well that's not good. I know Idol groups can't have relationships or else its a personal insult to all their totally-not-creepy male fans and it tanks their career(s) so yeah I guess I already knew the Japanese were weird about relationships. Did Honma get any flack for allegedly beating his wife? It'd be weird for Taichi to get heat for cheating but Tonma to just go "She doesn't know how to take a bump" and cue a laugh track

He didn't suffer any repercussions as far as I remember. It was a bigger deal outside of Japan than it was within.

I think he even won the tag titles shortly afterwards.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress This

I thought this was a pic from the mid 00s for a sec. He looks so much younger.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress This

I always wondered what would make me cancel my NJPW subscription. Guess I found out.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

http://thelionmarks.com/ these dudes will probably translate it.

I somehow missed this before. Thanks for the quick reply! They haven't yet, but I've bookmarked the site and now I'm learning more about Tranquilo and also that EVIL plans to fight Naito :eek: :ohdear:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress This

Good to see NJPW bringing in Chuck Taylor.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

harperdc posted:

Man, the Becky thing in particular really bummed me out. She was the highest-profile half-Japanese celebrity in Japan and she got vanished into the cornfield for half a year while the dude and his lovely band rode the wave of publicity. It was just so transparent what was going on. Anyway wrestling. Naito give sexism the Destino thanks in advance.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the hair doesn't look bad. I Like it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dromal phrenia posted:

2. This just reinforces my desire for a Taichi vs. Yano no-DQ IronMan match where Taichi takes 75 ball shots and can't walk for a week. And then he comes back and can only sing his entrance in a falsetto

Monogamy is bad Taichi is good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

I miss the highlights

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bard Maddox posted:

It looks way healthier

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
at least tana was able to get that absurd braided masterpiece before he cut it off

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'll need to see it in motion before i decide.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress This

And they said AJ had a soccer mom haircut.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

is it hosed up that i don't mind cody just going by cody anymore?

i thought it was very dumb, but now i'm alright with it. maybe because he's portraying something so radically different from some of his wwe gimmicks or something but i'm alright with just cody now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It works as a single name. It's just that it's so dumb that he can't use Rhodes like WWE created the name or something.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I still hate it and don't understand why he isn't just using his real name.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cody Fliehr

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He should take inspiration from Ricky Steamboat AND his dad and become Cody Dreamboat :allears:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

oatgan posted:

I still hate it and don't understand why he isn't just using his real name.

I believe he recently stated that he could use his name if he wanted to, but at this point it doesn't really bother him any more.

What's worse for him is that he can't say "gently caress the ******" - what the? Can't say FTR on here any more either? Dammit.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress the Revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
it's mean to say gently caress the revival when god is already doing that

• Locked thread