Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

My friend asked me if I was on mdma.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

jesus christ shut the gently caress up about your hygiene routines and loving loving Science!, you goons

:drac:

alternatively: I, too, have had a manic episode

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

e: nvm this one was fake

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

COMRADES posted:

The point is that the motivation behind it is completely different. I'm sure you do all kinds of things every single day that are "science approved" even if you don't know the exact functioning behind it. If one of those things turns out to be false, you were actually a superstitious person? I tapped the can because I thought it did something pressure wise, not because God or spirits. Hitting a can and seeing a pressure result obviously is a real Thing somehow, have you ever tapped the top of someone's beer?

Here I'll make it easy: scientists say X amount of red wine is good for you, so people do that. Later, they say "oops sorry turns out we were wrong." So people stop doing it. That's all motivated by superstition? I mean you could reach and say they have "faith" in the scientists but...

And if that was easily demonstrable then I'd have stopped earlier than I did but obviously it's hard to tell unless I run an experiment with 50 control cans and 50 tapped cans like a lunatic.

you seem really mad you got fooled by a superstitious ritual lol

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boner confessor posted:

you seem really mad you got fooled by a superstitious ritual lol

I am!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [27F] MIL [53 F] is toxic, lacks boundaries but threatens suicide if we try to cut her out.[new] (self.relationships)

quote:

I could write 500 pages about why my MIL is a piece of work. But to save myself from raging (and to keep it vague as my husband has reddit), I will give the short version.

My MIL has all of the symptoms of histrionic personality disorder and most symptoms of narcissism. She has absolutely no self-awareness or boundaries and it's absolutely exhausting to be around her for even two minutes. She is needy, attention-seeking, self-centered, bitter, judgmental and manic - but she doesn't think she is any of these things.

Whenever my husband tries to tell her how he feels or tries to limit his time with her, she cries her eyes out and threatens to commit suicide. I think he would cut her out of his life but he is afraid of what she will do to herself if he does.

Help?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really my point tho is that as much as humans like to talk about being rational and behaving rationally and with an even consideration of the fact this is a huge lie. through years of education and training you can think rationally in very short bursts about specific topics, otherwise every human being is just a barely contained mess of emotion and inscrutable internal narrative. it's important never to forget this. this thread should be proof enough

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

boner confessor posted:

really my point tho is that as much as humans like to talk about being rational and behaving rationally and with an even consideration of the fact this is a huge lie. through years of education and training you can think rationally in very short bursts about specific topics, otherwise every human being is just a barely contained mess of emotion and inscrutable internal narrative. it's important never to forget this. this thread should be proof enough

yup, this is why democracy is a bad idea... most voters are so addled by liquor and trans fats they can't give meaningful consent

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [27F] MIL [53 F] is toxic, lacks boundaries but threatens suicide if we try to cut her out.[new] (self.relationships)

Ah, this is one of those delightful situations that really can be resolved by literally ignoring the problem until it goes away.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

Ah, this is one of those delightful situations that really can be resolved by literally ignoring the problem until it goes away.

unfortunately due to recent rulings in Massachusetts you can't tell her to do it.

The_end
May 17, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Get her a gun with one bullet for Christmas or birthday.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

man that one's not fun it's just kinda a bummer, like the other top one right now with the girl whose boyfriend got mad at her and broke her nose

I [27/F] wrote my boyfriend [40/M] an 8 page letter, to try to fix things. Is this psycho or romantic?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been together 3 months. But we have been friends for about 4 years. I went through an abusive relationship the past year, and he was there for me. We always had an attraction for each other, and in the last 6 months, our feelings grew strong.

We kept making excuses to see each other and we're hanging out and talking more and more... Until one day, 3 months ago, he admitted his feelings for me and we ended up getting together.

The problem? He is still technically married. His wife has been very abusive to him, and they are separated, but feet are being dragged in the divorce process. He has very low self esteem. So when she tells him he's an unattractive and miserable loser, who is not allowed to leave the marriage, he believes her.

He got a job in another city, and is moving in 3 weeks. The plan was for us to date long distance for a few more months, and then for me to move in with him. However, he came to be last week, upset, telling me we had to break it off because he is not worthy of love, and he deserves to be miserable, so he should call off the divorce. Since I will end up "hating" him and leaving him anyway, he didn't think it's worth trying anymore.

This came as a shock to me. Since that day, our relationship has been on and off and scary. He tells me he loves and have made him feel alive again, after years of abuse. But he's so scared of me leaving him because of our age difference, and scared he does not deserve happiness.

So, last night, I gave him an 8 page letter, going back over memories of the last 3 months. Explaining how much I love him. And asking him to take a chance on us. Is giving someone an 8 page hand written letter psychotic or romantic?
I've had boyfriends who freaked out after our breakups and did things I thought were weird. Is what I did weird or romantic? He hasn't contacted me yet regarding the letter...

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

maskenfreiheit posted:

:sever: and the problem will take care of itself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Letters can be good communication methods, it depends

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

man that one's not fun it's just kinda a bummer, like the other top one right now with the girl whose boyfriend got mad at her and broke her nose

I [27/F] wrote my boyfriend [40/M] an 8 page letter, to try to fix things. Is this psycho or romantic?

Age Gap aside I think this is kind of sweet

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

dudeness posted:

Re: WoW addict husband - Make a giant board and put it in the living room titled "_________ Household Level" and start awarding him gold stars as EXP for completing household chores like picking up the dog poop, cleaning, having slighty better than mediocre sex etc.

Describe spending time with his children as "Raiding" and tell him there will be epic loot (a trip to McDonalds) at the end if he completes them successfully (not neglecting the child or making them cry).

Every time he levels up (make sure you keep them coming fast in the early days to get him addicted to the dopamine rush) throw him a small party with a cake that says "congrats".

Make things fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Making mundane or even undesirable tasks into a game (gamification) can be quite effective, especially for children or the adult versions thereof.

Your suggestion isn't actually as terrible as you might have hoped.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

unfortunately due to recent rulings in Massachusetts you can't tell her to do it.

Do you go out of your way to reach the dumbest conclusions about these sorts of news events or does it just come naturally? You also probably believe the lady who had her labia fused by mcdonald's coffee was just a greedy person huh? You can still tell people to kill themselves, it won't get you in trouble, there were a lot of extenuating circumstances that made what she specifically did illegal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
A story where I hate everyone involved.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/08/owners_must_surgically_debark.html

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thats just a photo of your family tree

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Well gently caress me

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That's just awful I hope the family appeals.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
No see i need to have 6 large dogs barking from 5 am to sundown every day.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

No see i need to have 6 large dogs barking from 5 am to sundown every day.

They actually say this

quote:

Szewc told The Oregonian/OregonLive that efforts to silence her dogs have threatened her ability to run her farm. 

“The dogs are my employees,” she said. “We do not have the dogs to harass the neighbors. We have the dogs to protect our sheep.”

The dogs bark, she said, when they sense predators, such as bears and cougars. She said agricultural properties generate farm noise -- something her neighbors haven't come to accept.

“The next line of defense is a gun. I don’t need to use a gun, if I can protect my sheep with dogs," Szewc said. "This is a passive way of protecting livestock.”

I mean I'm totally in the neighbors side but gently caress I'd rather see the dogs taken away than debarked

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Oh yeah it absolutely sucks to have the dogs debarked but that's 100% on the owners for not going for any other solution in like a decade and a half of lawsuits.

They even still have the option to move the dogs off the property. The choice is debark or move them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they're a loving farm

what kind of rear end in a top hat moves nextdoor to a farm, that presumably occupies multiple acres for the dogs to be in, and then whines to the courts about being able to hear a dog bark.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ride The Gravitron posted:

They actually say this

I mean I'm totally in the neighbors side but gently caress I'd rather see the dogs taken away than debarked

"Livestock" on their 3.5 acres that fails to profit enough for the court to consider it worthy of a farm exemption.

Yeah, lovely ruling but they are also lovely people for thinking this is at all okay on a property that small with neighbors.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

they're a loving farm

what kind of rear end in a top hat moves nextdoor to a farm, that presumably occupies multiple acres for the dogs to be in, and then whines to the courts about being able to hear a dog bark.

Their "farm" is too small to be protected from that sort of thing, hell my parents have a bigger backyard than that and they're by no means well off (just live in a rural area). These guys are probably assholes on multiple levels with their livestock.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Same people who move into New York City and complain about the noise.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
What are you saying i can do mechanical work at my own home?

*has 5 rusted over 30 year old vehicles sitting on cinderblocks on their front lawn*

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

3.5 acres is like 2.5 football fields of property so no they do not need a platoon of dogs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

surgically deafen the folks who have the problem, here, problem solved

The_end
May 17, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

3.5 acres is like 2.5 football fields of property so no they do not need a platoon of dogs.

I think a Squad of dogs would be just right for that amount of land.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

they're a loving farm

where does it say the people who filed the lawsuit moved in next to the bad dog owners? for all you know the bad dog owners moved in next to the people who filed the lawsuit

they're just throwing excuses to keep their big loud dogs. get border collies if you need working dogs that wont annoy your neighbors

also 3.5 acres isn't a farm. that's just a big yard

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haha that doesn't even work all the time. When I was a young lad we had a pitbull mix rescue that would bark constantly and my parents tried everything to get him to stop, eventually opting for debarking, all that did was make his bark extremely deep and menacing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'd bet money it was a dog breeding operation. six+ dogs to protect less than four acres? come on

e: lol went digging down the chain of linked articles and guess what i found

quote:

The Kreins’ complaint says Szewc and Updegraff moved into their home, a little over 300 feet from the Kreins, in 1997 and began breeding the dogs at their home around 2002.

the bad dog owners moved in next to the neighbors who later sued, and then started breeding loud rear end dogs

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 1, 2017

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
The dog owners are fuckheads and their dogs are going to suffer for it. Also it's hilarious that they don't want to get a rifle to protect their sheep. My parents have a loving lavender farm and have a rifle to shoot gophers and yet these idiots won't shoot at a cougar.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah its real easy to shoot a couger its just like shooting a gopher on lavender farm thats for sure.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah its real easy to shoot a couger its just like shooting a gopher on lavender farm thats for sure.

If anything it'd be easier. Cougars are bigger.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [28M] friend [30M] is doing this "365 day gently caress Challenge" and its causing difficulties in our group

My group of friends is about 10 guys late 20's-early 30's from university. We were all in the same fraternity and most of us still live and work in the same city we went to school in.

Some of us are definitely more "fratty" than others, I'm towards the not so much end of the spectrum and this guy is sometimes the stereotype you'd imagine. Partying a lot, 4 day benders, lots of hookups from clubs and bars. He's got another group of friends that are his club buddies and he goes partying with them more often than he does with us since a lot of us aren't as interested any more.

So some of those guys and him are doing this 365-day gently caress challenge, which is they try to have sex every day straight for a year. He said he's on the "Easy level" which is just having sex with someone every day, but a couple of the others are on the "Hard level" which is they have sex with a different woman every day and can't repeat any of them. Also prostitutes are cheating and don't count apparently.

A few guys in my group find this funny but the rest of us find it to be getting annoying and immature. He's been doing this challenge since june. He's had a few consistent fwb's but prefers to hang out with the guys who are doing "hard mode" and try to pick up new women in clubs each night, which means he hangs out with us a lot less. Sometimes a few of us will just want to stay in and game or watch TV and he looks down on that as lame. Or we go out together but he ends up ditching with whatever girl he's met.

Basically he's acting like he's 10 years younger than he is but even then he wasn't as out of control as he is now. Most of us ended up confronting him about it last night, because a couple of our fraternity friends who live in another state have come to visit for a few days and he was supposed to come hang out with all of us last night. He didn't show up and when I texted he was completely smashed and said he totally forgot, then he sent a pic of a girl's rear end in the club and said to show the friends who were visiting "what he was banging tonight."

They were a bit miffed he'd blown them off. The rest of us were kind of embarrassed. I don't know what his deal is, he's always been the biggest drinker and partier in the group but not like this even in college. These other guys he's friends with go at it much harder.

Is there anything to be done here? A couple people want to talk to him but you can never know when he'll be sober. When he's drunk or high everything is a joke and it would go nowhere.

Also for what it's worth those of us who have girlfriends our girlfriends don't like him. He also sometimes tries to hit on them even when we're there and has gotten girls to cheat on people with him before. He can't hold a stable job either.

Tl;dr there's a guy in my friend group who's obsessed with getting laid each day for the whole year. He's on a 3-month streak right now since he started this in June and is almost always partying to meet girls and hookup. He's condescending about how we're boring to hang out with compared to his clubbing buddies. He drunkenly forgot about our other friends visiting and didn't care. Me and my friends are getting tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What does this dude bring to your friendship circle other than cuckoldry and possible venerial diseases.